• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

12 year old branded Hanoverian gelding on AC4H. Looks fairly nice

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    I totally agree. Do your own research and then decide if you want to take a chance on these horses. Some of them look really good. It's the owners who send them off, not the brokers or Christy who are the baddies here. If you don't want someone to make a profit off of the horses, do not buy from them. They pull horses out of auction that they think can be resold.

Since no one on this board actually goes to the auctions every time they are held and checks just which horses are bought by the meat dealers or not, no one really knows what happens to them. But it's pretty certain that a high percentage of them will be dead soon.
    Well, if he's sending two truckloads a week, 60 are. So no matter what happens and how many you buy, 60 are going to go.

Comment

I totally agree. Do your own research and then decide if you want to take a chance on these horses. Some of them look really good. It's the owners who send them off, not the brokers or Christy who are the baddies here. If you don't want someone to make a profit off of the horses, do not buy from them. They pull horses out of auction that they think can be resold.
      ... resold if the 'The truck is coming' threat looms, sure.
      Otherwise? Who knows.

Since no one on this board actually goes to the auctions every time they are held and checks just which horses are bought by the meat dealers or not, no one really knows what happens to them. But it's pretty certain that a high percentage of them will be dead soon.
      People on this board don't have to go to the auction to get that info, there are several groups who DO go every week, and publish the information when the situation arises that a horse sold at NH for $50 and is now being sold, 2 days later, for $650 by a rescue marketing for a dealer.

And if you look at Brian Moores shipping documents, it's pretty clear what horses that the rescue is selling who are 'going to go to slaughter' actually aren't going to be shipped.

Then there are the various horses the 'rescue' has insisted were going to ship... who were standing at Camelot just another 2 days later, for sale again at no more money than was being asked for them [ie they sold it for less than asking on their page] having run through that sale... while Xty was still insisting the animal was at Brians.
      Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

Let the buyer beware. You deal with dishonest people, chances are you'll be screwed.

Comment

That site made me sad. This is why I will never sell my horse, I know she could end up someplace like this.

If I could afford the board I would buy that little Haflinger named Sassy in a heartbeat. Sad story about her.

Comment

Originally posted by hundredacres View Post
            The Hano is cute but looks off in the hind .
            He doesn't look right in front, either.

Asshat people dumping these horses
            As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Comment

Originally posted by CrowneDragon View Post
              He doesn't look right in front, either.
              She did say that one of his shoes was loose (and then proceeded to trot him on the gravel anyway—ugh), but I really like him. I'd take a chance on him if I had a place. He seems like a sweet soul.

Comment

It is not possible to save every horse. So lets be realistic, even if they sell 10 horses for a profit (after all they have to make a living and it is naïve to think they should do it out the goodness in their hearts) and they still send 60 to slaughter doesn't it count for something? They are taking the time to take pictures, video, and give a brief analysis of the horses. Then they put the horses on a website that reaches people across the country... unlike the horses previous owners who threw them away like trash and didn't care if they had a chance or not.

The mare I got this summer through one of these types of organizations is a phenomenal mare, granted all she has to do is pack my SO around on trails and occasionally play with cows. But she didn't deserve what she got. She was so skinny her skin hung loose on her, like a puppies skin that has a lot of growing to do. She came from a feedlot I assume in TX and her skin crawls when you reach out to touch her from having a hot stick used excessively on her. This same mare picks all four feet up without ever needing to touch her legs. And the same one that greats me each morning with a nicker...

The abuse these horses go through before these people get them is horrific. To lay blame on these traders/dealers is only hurting the horses they are trying to make a quick buck off of. I took a $500 gamble on a skinny abused mare and I would have to think long and hard about taking anything less than $1500 for her now.

Here are a couple pictures of my little rescue mare that would have met her maker had she not gotten a second chance from a horse dealer that thought he could make a few dollars off her. And I'm glad he made that decision. The first link takes you to a pic of the day we brought her home vs after 8 weeks of love and groceries.
                http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/...iPhone7078.jpg
                http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/...iPhone7058.jpg

Comment

I would rather give my money to a legitimate rescue who is honest about the horse's abilities and physical problems, actually uses a real quarantine protocol and plows the money back into rescuing more horses. And then, doesn't send you a horse that doesn't begin to resemble the horse that was advertised to begin with.

I don't deal with frauds and hucksters if I can help it.

Comment

It's very much like buying from a puppy mill - they will just keep on keeping on as long as there's business.
                    Last edited by hundredacres; Sep. 27, 2013, 01:29 PM.

Comment

It's very much like buying from a puppy mill - they will just keep on keeping on as long as theirs business.
                      That is the perfect analogy. Or rather, buying a puppy mill dog from a pet store.

Comment

Sorry about the typo. On my phone.

Comment

SouthernYankee....is that a photo of team penning donkeys on the side of your second link?

It can be somewhat similar to puppy-mill/pet store issues in that it seems never-ending. Or perpetuating the problem.

However there is an enormous difference in that puppy mills produce their animals. Auctions and dealers buy what other's sold cheap or threw away.
                          Cutting off buying from those types of dealers doesn't do a thing to stop horses going to auctions or horses going to slaughter. Whether you support them or not, both will continue to happen at exactly the same rate.
                          What this type of buying does is provide another source of income for the dealer and the broker for the dealer (in this case ac4h, which also has a rescue).
                          The problem with this would be:
                          *if there is a commingling of funds illegally done by the broker between their brokering horses and their rescue. This is a bad thing.
                          *if the dealer or the broker misrepresent and/or send the incorrect animal. Another bad thing.
                          *if the funds are mistakenly or purposely double dipped. Another bad thing.

None of these things are good or legal and should be caught and prosecuted fully.

What I don't understand is when people have a problem with this because:
                          *they hate dealers, auction or meat buyers and think it's horrible and rotten and crooked and mean for any of those to make an profit no matter what.
                          *they hate that people do make a profit on animals they feel are at risk and require rescuing rather than buying. That anyone who buys these animals needs to sell them for what they paid for them. Illogical. All businesses make profits.
                          *they don't have any concept of the difference between a private sale, an adoption or a dealer sale/auction sale and they want those horses to all go to approved inspected forever homes. This doesn't happen with sales horses and these aren't adoptions. They're sales.
                          You jump in the saddle,
                          Hold onto the bridle!
                          Jump in the line!
                          ...Belefonte

Comment

Originally posted by MistyBlue View Post
                            SouthernYankee....is that a photo of team penning donkeys on the side of your second link?

What I don't understand is when people have a problem with this because:
                            *they hate dealers, auction or meat buyers and think it's horrible and rotten and crooked and mean for any of those to make an profit no matter what.
                            *they hate that people do make a profit on animals they feel are at risk and require rescuing rather than buying. That anyone who buys these animals needs to sell them for what they paid for them. Illogical. All businesses make profits.
                            *they don't have any concept of the difference between a private sale, an adoption or a dealer sale/auction sale and they want those horses to all go to approved inspected forever homes. This doesn't happen with sales horses and these aren't adoptions. They're sales.
                            Yes it is Donkey penning, and the 'rescue' mare has proven to be quite good at donkey penning and cow sorting. Once we get some more muscle built up on her she's going to be a force to be reckoned with in the pen.

Here she is with the SO, the first time either of them had gone Donkey Penning
                            And this is her and I sorting cows.

And what you stated in the second part of your post is what I was trying to get at with this whole topic... these horses by some miracle have a second chance even if it is through a dealer who could care less what kind of home they end up in as long as they are selling...

I'm not trying to stick up for any horse dealers but sometimes in life s**t happens, even to horses and this is a second chance for a few lucky ones. It boils my blood what the new mare went through before we got her, SHE DIDN'T DESERVE WHAT SHE WENT THROUGH and had the dealer not pulled her when he did who knows how long she would have continued to be abused and starved.

FYI: this mare squeals, flinches, and about crawls out of her skin when people reach out to touch her. WHY? because the feedlot she was at excessively used hot sticks on her and starved her. SHE EXPECTS TO BE SHOCKED BY A HOT STICK EVERY TIME WE TOUCH HER. At least the dealer (whom many of you are trying to crucify on here) fed her 2x a day and attempted to get her to gain weight, fat horses sell better...

Comment

Originally posted by MistyBlue View Post
                              Agh, you made me look.
                              And he's cute. But what caught my eye was the Dutch Harness Horse. Big boned chestnut mare, typical chrome for a DHH.
                              Dammit. Reminds me of my late, great Galopin.
                              I would take her in a nano second
                              Draumr Hesta Farm
                              "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"
                              Member of the COTH Ignorant Disrepectful F-bombs!*- 2Dogs Farm

Comment

Originally posted by downen View Post
                                Gutsy, or not too bright?
                                I rode auction horses when I was a teen and prefer to think of myself as (formerly) gutsy.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernYankee View Post
                                  Yes it is Donkey penning, and the 'rescue' mare has proven to be quite good at donkey penning and cow sorting. Once we get some more muscle built up on her she's going to be a force to be reckoned with in the pen.

Here she is with the SO, the first time either of them had gone Donkey Penning
                                  And this is her and I sorting cows.

And what you stated in the second part of your post is what I was trying to get at with this whole topic... these horses by some miracle have a second chance even if it is through a dealer who could care less what kind of home they end up in as long as they are selling...
                                  I have 0 problem with the dealers. They are who they are and generally make no bones about it.

The rest of the 'crew' involved?
                                  Yeah, them I have a problem with.
                                  Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

The latest:

AC4H offering a home if funds can be raised. He will fit into our program for teaching/education.

Comment

It's very much like buying from a puppy mill - they will just keep on keeping on as long as there's business.
                                      Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                                      That is the perfect analogy. Or rather, buying a puppy mill dog from a pet store.
                                      It's not, actually. MistyBlue already explained it, but in essence:

The puppy mill breeders are breeding for that pet store. If people stop buying from those pet stores, they'll stop breeding.

The dealers are simply offering the horses one more stop on the way to the border/places unknown. The dealers are not breeding these horses to be sold as ~$500 "rescues", they're not buying them from someone breeding for that either. They're collecting these unwanted horses from a variety of places, with the source (apart from the generic "backyard breeder") impossible to track down. If the dealers stop purchasing these horses, no one is going to stop breeding them. They'll just be on a faster track to the slaughterhouse/a different auction/etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GoForAGallop View Post
                                        It's not, actually. MistyBlue already explained it, but in essence:

The puppy mill breeders are breeding for that pet store. If people stop buying from those pet stores, they'll stop breeding.

The dealers are simply offering the horses one more stop on the way to the border/places unknown. The dealers are not breeding these horses to be sold as ~$500 "rescues", they're not buying them from someone breeding for that either. They're collecting these unwanted horses from a variety of places, with the source (apart from the generic "backyard breeder") impossible to track down. If the dealers stop purchasing these horses, no one is going to stop breeding them. They'll just be on a faster track to the slaughterhouse/a different auction/etc.
                                        They won't go to slaughter any faster. The kill buyers are filling a contract. In this case, 2 loads a week. 60 horses are going to go regardless. What happens to the others is up in the air. All you're doing, by buying from Christie, is putting money in the pocket of someone who is being investigated by the FBI for wire fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                                          They won't go to slaughter any faster. The kill buyers are filling a contract. In this case, 2 loads a week. 60 horses are going to go regardless. What happens to the others is up in the air. All you're doing, by buying from Christie, is putting money in the pocket of someone who is being investigated by the FBI for wire fraud.
                                          And, every horse bought from Christy/AC4H provides broker with the money to pay for SEVERAL more that will go straight to slaughter. For example: Broker pays $50 for horse at New Holland; AC4H peddles and sells it for $500-600 (or more). So, person who "saves" that $500-600 horse just paid for 10+ other horses to be slaughtered.
                                          Equus Keepus Brokus

Comment

Working...
                                          X