• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Reining Horse death caused by trainer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BarbaricYawp View Post
    Not familiar with the ham story, but am familiar with the banana story. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_the_mo...ver_take_place

The ones I've seen tied are being worked on the extended side, not the flexed one, i.e. they are tying the horse to the 'good' side, not forcing the horse to bend towards the bad side. Kind of like stretching your hamstrings by touching your toes before you run. Perhaps this is different than what the OP is describing. Certainly the horses I've seen tied are not nose-to-saddle, they have room to flex and release. And they are supervised.
    About 30 seconds is the optimum time for a "stretch." Tying (stretching) for a prolonged time does nothing positive.

Comment

The Ham Story

Mother is making an Easter Ham. She gets the pan all ready, heats the oven, slices off the end of the ham before placing it in the ham. Her daughter asks why she sliced off the end of the ham. She replies, "I don't know, that's the way my mother always did it."

Mother calls her mother and asks the same question, gets same response. So, finally Mother calls her Grandmother and asks why she sliced the end off the ham. Grandmother cackles, "You fools, because my pan was too small."

Doing things "the way we've always done it" just because that's "the way we've always done" it is not a rational choice.

Comment

Originally posted by saultgirl View Post
        Wait, what? Just straight tied? What's wrong with tying up a horse in a stall?
        I believe they're referring to the practice of tying a horse's head to the top of the stall so that, when they're untied, the muscles in the neck are too tired to lift the head and the horse keeps a lower headset.
        Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Comment

Originally posted by saultgirl View Post
          Wait, what? Just straight tied? What's wrong with tying up a horse in a stall?
          One was no water or hay for the horse. Second was that the tie was already a foot above where his normal head position was so he could only keep his head upright so if he wanted to rest or move or put his head down even a bit it was restricted. Third was if he pulled back, which he didn't nor would he, he would hurt himself or bring down the wall if the halter did not come undone. I personally don't want my horse tied with no access to hay or water which was the main issue as well as lack of motion of his neck. I had horses that were tied in straight stalls but could eat/drink which is no biggie to me.

This woman also put stoppers in the auto waters so that they could only drink one little but so they didn't pee in the stall. Found that out when the waterer was empty on the third day.
          I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Comment

[QUOTE=MaybeMorgan;7184678]
            Originally posted by FLeventer View Post

FYI, maybe you have a different kind of baling twine, because the kind I use breaks pretty easily.
            Nylon baling "twine" doesn't break easily. I do think that the halter or breakaway strap or hardware would break before nylon baling string would.

The original old style tan or greenish twine will break fairly easily. Most bales in our area come with nylon now. Whenever I come across the real twine I grab a few of them and throw them in my trailer or trunk.
            Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

Some one posted this on the Western forum it is new coverage of the sad story
              http://fox5sandiego.com/2013/09/24/h...#axzz2fuq0Zjlo

Comment

I just saw and interview through the Facebook page. The owner is all smiles on camera saying to use the practice just don't leave them alone. Icing on the cake? They had videos of the horse before it was PTS bleeding and panting. Absolutely disgusting. Apparently this happened on the property last year too. Just wow.
                www.thetexasequestrian.com

Comment

Originally posted by Belmont View Post
                  I just saw and interview through the Facebook page. The owner is all smiles on camera saying to use the practice just don't leave them alone. Icing on the cake? They had videos of the horse before it was PTS bleeding and panting. Absolutely disgusting. Apparently this happened on the property last year too. Just wow.
                  That "owner" made me sick

Comment

I saw the interview too and was aghasted.... "regular training practice" - BARF!
                    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Originally posted by MyssMyst View Post
                      I believe they're referring to the practice of tying a horse's head to the top of the stall so that, when they're untied, the muscles in the neck are too tired to lift the head and the horse keeps a lower headset.
                      AKA: "hanging"

Comment

Originally posted by alibi_18 View Post
                        Breaking the horse.
                        ... Breaking sounds about right...

Why bother to loose time teaching the horse to accept a saddle and a bit, when you can just tie him till it either stops struggling or kills himself?...
                        Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Originally posted by DottieHQ
                        You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

Comment

Originally posted by hundredacres View Post
                          AKA: "hanging"
                          Not always. Sometimes "hang him up" or "hang him on the back wall" just means tie up, with a regular length of rope.
                          As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Comment

[QUOTE=SonnysMom;7186114]
                            Originally posted by MaybeMorgan View Post
                            Nylon baling "twine" doesn't break easily. I do think that the halter or breakaway strap or hardware would break before nylon baling string would.

The original old style tan or greenish twine will break fairly easily. Most bales in our area come with nylon now. Whenever I come across the real twine I grab a few of them and throw them in my trailer or trunk.
                            Let me know if you are ever in the Fredericksburg VA area
                            I wasn't always a Smurf
                            Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
                            "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                            The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Originally posted by Belmont View Post
                              Anyone want to bet the horse was insured?
                              I wasn't always a Smurf
                              Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
                              "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                              The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Originally posted by carolprudm View Post
                                Anyone want to bet the horse was insured?
                                This is what I was wondering too? But I didn't want to ruffle any feathers.. 2 deaths of 2 very "well trained horses" seems a little.. much for me. How horrible!
                                AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

It says that San Diego Animal Services is investigating. Please, please, please tell me that felony cruelty charges will be filed. This guy's abuse puts him in the big time.
                                  "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Comment

I have been to this ranch, and I know the trainer who reported this (and found the mutilated horse), Bethany Wallace. This has indeed been going on with Mark Arballo for quite some time- There was just no evidence. Hopefully now that evidence has been found and animal control/fox news knows about it, Mark Arballo will be punished.

Although, on a side note- Not everyone from River Valley Ranch is bad. Bethany Wallace is awesome, there are just a few bad eggs at that place.
                                    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
                                    ~DQ wanna-be~

Comment

Originally posted by Megaladon View Post
                                      Wow! My father could totally write this exact same thing. He was facility manager, big hot shot trainer came in to teach everyone "how it's done" and ties the horse's face to the horn of the saddle, puts it in a stall and goes to lunch. Poor horse was drenched with sweat and ended up collapsing--so sad. Idiocy is what I call that. Those weren't the only heinous practices but my dad couldn't take it anymore and walked.
                                      Yup that is exactly what I found, Barn owner was totally in love with trainer, So nothing I said mattered. The trainer has been around for years and is very abusive and still manages to make a living! Go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by cyriz's mom View Post
                                        I'm in North Texas...thousands of QHs in the area. About 10 years ago I was at a vet clinic and there was a young horse there (3 or 4) with a horrid neck deformity. Reining trainer had tied head to girth, then tied to wall and gone to lunch for an hour. Came back and horse had flipped, ruptured multiple tendons and muscles.

Survival was unsure when I saw it, but it could not lift it's head/neck to parallel to the ground.

Unfortunately, due to all the 2 and 3 y.o. futurities in the various western disciplines, we see lots of horses around here who were pushed too hard and are permanently lame and done by 4 or 5. And don't even get me started on the HYPP halter horses. ugh.
                                        My god! Where the heck do these so called trainers learn these barbaric ineffective methods from? Someone please enlighten me!

Comment

Facebook page with more info
                                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/RIP-B...52116531473236

Comment

Working...
                                          X