• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Prayers, jingles, good thoughts needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prayers, jingles, good thoughts needed

Today is a big day for my family and dozens of other families in my beloved carriage business, not to mention for NYC history and tradition.

A small group of extremists, deep-pocketed businessmen, and their hired guns have succeeded in duping enough people into believing that our carriage horses are abused and lead awful lives that it has become an issue in the NYC mayoral election.

Today is Primary Day, and these liars, dissemblers, and deceivers have their well-moneyed get-out-the-vote effort dispatched to every corner of the city.

We are doing what we can - it is truly a David and Goliath scenario.

This fight has taken a terrible toll on all of us - we have not been permitted to live our lives, care for our families and our horses, and generally pursue our happiness, as we have to constantly fight for our right to exist.

But I will begin this day with a prayer and a smile - that's the way to do it. I will be the happy warrior

This is a conscious effort on my part - believe me, it doesn't come naturally.

What comes naturally is the rage, the sadness, the frustration at being unfairly maligned, vilified, marginalized, and oppressed by people who don't know the first thing about me, my family, my business, or my horses.

But I will use that rage, sadness, and frustration as fuel for my efforts today, as I do what I can to get public servants who support us elected into office.

No matter what happens, we will never give up. The law that is proposed would effectively seize our horses - but as I said before, they will get our horses when they pry the lead ropes from our cold, dead hands.

I am humbly asking for your prayers and good thoughts today - please take just a moment, and pray or send good thoughts for the carriage folk of NYC. We would really appreciate it
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Here's hoping that things turn out how you want and need them to turn out.

Seeing how I am from the Philadelphia area I will send you with this thought: Vote early and often. (Just kidding)
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

You and all of your families and horses and city will be in my prayers.

Comment

The world is getting crazier and crazier, too bad you are in the middle of it.

Those that are persecuting you and what you do don't realize that they are also shooting themselves in the foot.
        There is NO ONE that is not doing something someone else can object to and ask they be banned, just because THEY, in their extremist views, think all should do what they demand.

I hope you squeak by this time, but sorry to say, even if you do, you know there is no end to the harassment and that they will keep coming after you.

The "rebels without a cause" of the past, kept at bay by the rest of the sensible ones, seem today to have the high hand, which doesn't bode well for our world.

The world is becoming more and more absurd.

Comment

I'm praying too...

Why, exactly, would anyone want to put a well-regulated industry like the NYC carriage horses, an industry that supports not just the owners and drivers, but also vets, farriers, carriage builders, tack shops, etc, as well as hundreds of horses, out of business? Because someone with deep pockets and access to celebrities that will say whatever you pay them to say comes along and wants the property the business occupies?

Why would NYC want to be seen as even a little bit anti-business? How does this make any sense in the current economic climate? Can NYC afford to have this many additional people out of work? (and, please, spare me the talk of "electric cars" - a prototype hasn't even been built yet)

If I owned a business in NYC, no matter my personal opinion about the NYC carriage horses, this would concern me deeply. Less people working, businesses thrown aside even with NO EVIDENCE OF WRONGDOING, means more taxes for everyone else. How does that equal a better future for any New Yorker?

The reality is, as you well know, this is not just about the carriage horses. Heck, it's not even just about horses. It's about putting a well-regulated industry out of business for all the wrong reasons.
          Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

Comment

Jingles, thoughts and prayers from Illinois.
            http://fromdressagehorsetocowpony.blogspot.com/

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

Looks like DeBlasio is going to win. I like what he stands for...is he for or against the carriage horses?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                Looks like DeBlasio is going to win. I like what he stands for...is he for or against the carriage horses?
                He has been bought and paid for by Nislick and NYCLASS. Flipped from being a supporter of ours to being our biggest enemy once the money started rolling in. So he stands for nothing except the worst in politics.

Comment

• Original Poster

Here ya go: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Comment

Interesting. I completely agree with his stop and frisk criticism though. Quinn is just Bloomberg lite.

Comment

• Original Poster

Interesting. I completely agree with his stop and frisk criticism though. Quinn is just Bloomberg lite.
                      Quinn has the identical stop and frisk policy that DeBlasio has.

Comment

Originally posted by michaleenflynn View Post
                        Quinn has the identical stop and frisk policy that DeBlasio has.
                        That's a pretty new policy of hers, isn't it? I could be wrong, I'm only watching from afar.

We have enough problems of our own in Kentucky.

Comment

Interesting Op Ed in the Times

None of this is a big deal for the average New Yorker; it doesn’t come up on the campaign trail unless there are people waving “Christine Quinn Hates Animals” signs. What we have here is a lesson in intensity of preference. The animal rights folks started early, and drew a bunch of wealthy donors, some of whom had long-running issues with Quinn that had no relation to four-legged friends. They ran tons of ads, organized phone banks and showed up with their protest signs, throwing the campaign off-stride.
                          http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/05/op...ral-races.html

Comment

I hope the rest of the horse world will pull their heads out of their asses and realize why this is bad. Hate carriage horses in the city? Good for you. Don't buy the slippery slope AR tripe that Bluey vomits every second? Me neither.

But guess what. These politicians are calling the NYC carriage industry ABUSE. Abuse so shocking and horrible that it must be outlawed.

What's so abusive about it, you might ask. The reasons repeated by the interests funding these politicians are these:

"Horses and cars don't mix." I cringe about this one every time my hunt club takes over an entire roadway, with a caravan of hounds and horses so long that you can't see where it starts or ends. This behavior will now be publicly accepted as abuse, because a candidate for mayor said so and he won.
                            "Horses have died." Well how many horses have very publicly died show jumping or eventing? Those horses are exploited, because the media now views any death of a horse while working as proof of abuse. Just ask Jerry's owners.
                            "No turnout." All of you eventers who don't turn your horses out for weeks at a time before a big event better not even try saying that it's not abuse when you do it.

You've heard these comparisons before. But what changed in the last few weeks was how the momentum has shifted. These norms of housekeeping have now been litigated in the public space in the most visible of ways. And what we all thought was acceptable horse care is now seen by the everyday person, who has never been near a horse, as abuse. It became so widely accepted during this campaign as to be unworthy of any further debate.

When will WE drown out the masses? Because make no mistake, it's no longer an extremist notion that horses should never be seen sweating in public. We all sat around while the extremists persuaded everybody else that what we were doing with our horse wasn't ok. That ship sailed. Now we're up against the otherwise merely ignorant people who didn't care. They saw one too many dead horse pictures, clicked a link, and found all the evidence they needed. Their worst fears were reinforced by a gleeful media, and then firmly sealed in their minds upon seeing a man carried into the mayor's office of our biggest city on a tidal wave of voices agreeing that the horse abusers have to go...

We better start bailing out this boat people.
                            \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Well yeah - most of it isn't a big deal for the average NY'er. Honestly the only people truly affected directly would be the carriage industry folk, who are a tiny (and politically likely insignificant, unfortunately) portion of the electorate. And tourists - but NY tourism does not rely on carriage horses, so in numbers would remain unaffected by either outcome.

I have no clue what any of them stand for since my only info about this issue comes from COTH, but like LauraKY's comment, I wouldn't expect the race to turn on the carriage issue at all. The politician who wins may be bought, but I don't think whether or not he or she wins would depend on whether he or she supports/is against the carriage horses - the RARA's will simply buy whoever wins.
                              Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

Comment

Originally posted by Coanteen View Post
                                Well yeah - most of it isn't a big deal for the average NY'er. Honestly the only people truly affected directly would be the carriage industry folk, who are a tiny (and politically likely insignificant, unfortunately) portion of the electorate. And tourists - but NY tourism does not rely on carriage horses, so in numbers would remain unaffected by either outcome.

I have no clue what any of them stand for since my only info about this issue comes from COTH, but like LauraKY's comment, I wouldn't expect the race to turn on the carriage issue at all. The politician who wins may be bought, but I don't think whether or not he or she wins would depend on whether he or she supports/is against the carriage horses - the RARA's will simply buy whoever wins.
                                I think that's the issue. Unless you are a carriage horse owner or pretty concerned about the rights of horse owners, the issue is going to be a blip on the screen.

Time for the carriage owners to make nice to DeBlasio. There's still time before the general.

He appears to be on the side of the little guy, not the big developers. Time for a big old push to point out exactly why NYClass wants to eliminate the carriages.

Comment

Originally posted by Coanteen View Post

It doesn't matter. The raras will loudly proclaim this to be the reason. And never mind that either...what they will say to every potential candidate in the future, long after the carriages are gone is "how will you vote on -insert AR issue of the day-? Because if you will vote this way, we can help you win. Look what we did for DiBlasio."

Of course the carriage issue didn't sway the voters! But the extremely negative anti Quinn ads did. Funded by NYCLASS.
                                  \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Originally posted by MandyVA View Post
                                    It doesn't matter. The raras will loudly proclaim this to be the reason. And never mind that either...what they will say to every potential candidate in the future, long after the carriages are gone is "how will you vote on -insert AR issue of the day-? Because if you will vote this way, we can help you win. Look what we did for DiBlasio."

Of course the carriage issue didn't sway the voters! But the extremely negative anti Quinn ads did. Funded by NYCLASS.
                                    From what I'm seeing, it's Quinn's policies and ties to Bloomberg that did her in. Like I said, she's just Bloomberg Lite.

Comment

This really has to be a wake-up call for all horse people. If you think it can't happen to your discipline or your industry, think again. The RARAs are shouting "cruelty and abuse" if you earn any income from your equines, because your horses are "slaves." If they aren't turned out 24/7, "running free in a field," that's unnatural. Bits, whips, spurs, shoes -- all horrifying. The NYC carriage horse industry is the canary in the coal mine. I think the USEF really has to get become proactive for all of its disciplines. I hope officials are listening and not thinking "It can't happen here."

Comment

I'd love to pray for you, but I'm tied up praying for Wall Street.

Comment

Working...
                                        X