Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Young girl from Maine rescues 2 slaughter-bound young horses in Washington State!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lisa Cook View Post
    I read it as young girl obtains 2 horses she can't afford and is dependent upon discounted board, vet and farrier fees in addition to stranger donations in order to sustain them. This is good - how?
    this is how I read it as well.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Comment

I'm glad you all had similar thoughts, as my (non-horsey) mom sent the story to me and was surprised by my negative/cynical reaction.

And to sound totally callous, it always surprises me when people whose only goal is to "rescue" a horse, any horse (and aren't giving much thought to suitability in terms of riding goals they might have for the horse) end up purchasing horses across the country from them. If you are looking for a nice pasture ornament, or even a sweet youngster to give a fresh start, aren't there likely options closer to home? I can seem more where folks who are coming from who like the idea of a "rescue" but would like the horse to be of a certain type/breed/skill set (driving in particular comes to mind here) who choose to ship a relative unknown a little or a lot farther.

I guess I just worry what happens when the media attention dies down and the 12 year old stops receiving donations. What happens then?

Comment

REALITY BREAK!!

Just for frame of reference, what were all of YOUR first horses? Any "pony for Christmas?" "Hissy fit at the Auction?" "Used-up much beloved Schoolie?" "He followed me home from Camp?" or, in my case, "No one else wants to ride this SOB, I'll sell him to you cheap!"

Very few teens who weren't born with a silver spoon in their mouth start out with superior stock from reputable breeders . . . beaucoup many of us rode what we could get. Including MANY who became professionals having learned "on the job."

Carry on . . .

Comment

Originally posted by CVPeg View Post
          Just found this article this morning. Hope it's not a duplicate post.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/09/0...rom-slaughter/

Kudos to all who helped this girl - the transporter drove them cross country with no charge! And several others pitched in as well, and are continuing to do so.

The young lady had saved $1400 from babysitting and odd jobs to lease a horse, then opted to save these two. And is determined to work hard enough to continue to pay their way.

Reading this story is a great way to start a morning.
          I personally think it is a great thing to see a young person taking on this kind of responsibility and initiative, something we seldom see in kids today due to either the current mindset of society, the lack of opportunity due to an ever-increasingly litigious and prohibitive environment for children to take on large responsibilities, or both. I wish her the best of luck and I have no doubt that, should her endeavor fail, there will be someone willing to step up to the plate to take over due to the attention this has received.

I think some of the equestrian facts in the article may not be entirely correct, such as the trims being so expensive, but I don't think it detracts from her effort here.

Comment

Originally posted by RiderInTheRain View Post
            I'm glad you all had similar thoughts, as my (non-horsey) mom sent the story to me and was surprised by my negative/cynical reaction.

And to sound totally callous, it always surprises me when people whose only goal is to "rescue" a horse, any horse (and aren't giving much thought to suitability in terms of riding goals they might have for the horse) end up purchasing horses across the country from them. If you are looking for a nice pasture ornament, or even a sweet youngster to give a fresh start, aren't there likely options closer to home? I can seem more where folks who are coming from who like the idea of a "rescue" but would like the horse to be of a certain type/breed/skill set (driving in particular comes to mind here) who choose to ship a relative unknown a little or a lot farther.

I guess I just worry what happens when the media attention dies down and the 12 year old stops receiving donations. What happens then?
            I guess her parents and she will have to deal with that occurrence when it happens, as many people do with their own situations.

Comment

Sort of a no-brainer that it could not have been done without her parents' approval, sanction, logistical support and financial backing, not to mention permission.

When I was growing up this was called "a 4-H Project."

Comment

It's heartwarming because it featured a kid whose goal was to help two little raggedy horses that didn't have a future.

If she wanted to be competitive, she should have forked over the money on a horse that could have taken her onwards and upwards, and would never, ever get sick. But what if she simply loves horses and has a kind heart? Is that not a valid reason?

Did whatshername who ran CBER ever go to jail?

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
                  REALITY BREAK!!

Just for frame of reference, what were all of YOUR first horses? Any "pony for Christmas?" "Hissy fit at the Auction?" "Used-up much beloved Schoolie?" "He followed me home from Camp?" or, in my case, "No one else wants to ride this SOB, I'll sell him to you cheap!"

Very few teens who weren't born with a silver spoon in their mouth start out with superior stock from reputable breeders . . . beaucoup many of us rode what we could get. Including MANY who became professionals having learned "on the job."

Carry on . . .
                  Did you ship it in from the other freaking side of the continent?
                  Did you expect that people would donate goods, services, and money for it?
                  Kid could have copped an auction special locally. Likely cheaper, too.

My first horse cost the princely sum of $85.
                  The second one was 20 cents/pound.
                  "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Sort of a no-brainer that it could not have been done without her parents' approval, sanction, logistical support and financial backing, not to mention permission.

when I was growing up it was called stupid....and the distances from market to barn where much shorter....

Comment

Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post
                      Did you ship it in from the other freaking side of the continent?
                      Did you expect that people would donate goods, services, and money for it?
                      Kid could have copped an auction special locally. Likely cheaper, too.

My first horse cost the princely sum of $85.
                      The second one was 20 cents/pound.
                      I guess we should start throwing stones now at everyone on here who has rescued CL horses from all over the country and those who send them "dribbles" too now, huh? Or can all of them be accounted for as fully capable horsemen who have endless resources once the "rescues" are made?

Comment

Those looking for reliable shippers might want to check out the one who helped this kid, IMO.

Comment

Sounds like the original plan was to lease a horse, presumably one that was broke. I'd have a whole lot more respect for her parents if they had allowed her to do that rather than buy two weanlings that had to be shipped cross country on someone else's dime.

New Holland is a heck of a lot closer if she had to have to horses unsuitable for a kid.

BTW, there have been plenty of COTH stones thrown at cross-country rescues and the ability of those begging for funds to ship said rescue has also been questioned. Those questions should be asked.
                          Last edited by red mares; Sep. 4, 2013, 10:05 PM. Reason: typos
                          Visit my Spoonflower shop

Comment

Originally posted by RubyTuesday View Post
                            I guess we should start throwing stones now at everyone on here who has rescued CL horses from all over the country and those who send them "dribbles" too now, huh? Or can all of them be accounted for as fully capable horsemen who have endless resources once the "rescues" are made?
                            There are enough hardworking kids out there who do not rely or depend on strangers to make their dreams come true.

Yeah, nice feel-good piece.
                            Save the horses from slaughter....too bad two other horses went instead.
                            it's not like there is no broker closer to home dealing in slaughter bound horses.
                            and it had to be two, not one, bit two horses...double the fun, right.
                            two unbroke critters...

I am glad that the follow up won't be national news...when the first vet bill comes due, the novelty wore off and money comes in slower than expected.

Strange, some of the more vocal advocates are the same people who will tell a grown person that if they do not have the money/credit for major medical plus euthanasia and burial, they have no business owning a horse...
                            In a month or two, the gal will be right on that point.
                            Another month from that?

Great that she saved this much money.
                            Too bad nobody stepped in talking her out of this insane project.

Comment

Originally posted by RubyTuesday View Post
                              IMHO, someone who "rescues" an animal should have the wherewithal to care for it.
                              Otherwise, it runs a real risk of having to be "rescued" again.
                              There's a big gulf between "endless resources" and adequate resources.

Comment

Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                                T.
                                and it had to be two, not one, bit two horses...double the fun, right.
                                two unbroke critters....
                                Oh, I think she was totally suckered into the 2nd one. Whoever she was dealing with for the first horse totally picked her as a chugging the Disney Kool-Aid mark and made up the story of "well, that there horse you bought, he won't load unless we put this other little fella (who'll get the axe in 90 minutes) on the trailer with him. Your horse sure did take that little fella under his wing, all protective-like." Really - that 2nd horse was dumped on her with about as much subtly as a baseball bat between the eyes. I could see a starry-eyed, Walter Farley brainwashed 12 year old falling for that spiel, but is there no adult with a functioning IQ in her life?

Comment

Grreeaatt... So everyone is ready to pile on about a kid who made a poor choice...with her heart, and her hard earned $ , and without much guidance.
                                  I find it really sad that the much vaunted "wisdom of COTH" that is ready to join forces and pass the hat for every sad Craigslist horse that is shared here can't mention even once the possibilty of finding some local COTH folk who would be willing to lend some hands on wisdom to a girl who's likely over her head.
                                  But then it's easier to criticize and snark than to offer a hand.
                                  Or perhaps there is no Coth contingent in Maine.

Comment

I'm not "piling on the kid" so much as on the supposed adults who facilitated it.

The kid's enthusiasm could and should have been tempered with some common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa Cook View Post
                                      Oh, I think she was totally suckered into the 2nd one. Whoever she was dealing with for the first horse totally picked her as a chugging the Disney Kool-Aid mark and made up the story of "well, that there horse you bought, he won't load unless we put this other little fella (who'll get the axe in 90 minutes) on the trailer with him. Your horse sure did take that little fella under his wing, all protective-like." Really - that 2nd horse was dumped on her with about as much subtly as a baseball bat between the eyes. I could see a starry-eyed, Walter Farley brainwashed 12 year old falling for that spiel, but is there no adult with a functioning IQ in her life?
                                      Precisely the point.

Comment

Yep. It's the adults in her life who are the idiots. It's good for kids to have dreams and ambitions. *Love* her compassion and willingness to work hard. Rare attributes, indeed in a 12 year old. So a responsible parent would gently guide her towards a less financially ruinous route of perhaps volunteering at a rescue.

She is *1 month* into an already heavily subsidized ownership (free shipping, reduced board) and is begging for charity from strangers. What is that teaching her?

Comment

Originally posted by Hinderella View Post
                                          Grreeaatt... So everyone is ready to pile on about a kid who made a poor choice...with her heart, and her hard earned $ , and without much guidance.
                                          I find it really sad that the much vaunted "wisdom of COTH" that is ready to join forces and pass the hat for every sad Craigslist horse that is shared here can't mention even once the possibilty of finding some local COTH folk who would be willing to lend some hands on wisdom to a girl who's likely over her head.
                                          But then it's easier to criticize and snark than to offer a hand.
                                          Or perhaps there is no Coth contingent in Maine.
                                          I'm sayin'. I'm sure some hands capable of helping with training would be an asset for the girl and the horses.

Comment

Working...
                                          X