• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Slant load vs. Straight load trailer??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slant load vs. Straight load trailer??

Right now I have a 2 horse straight load BP (no dressing room). I'd like to upgrade to a newer trailer with a dressing room that's small enough to pull with a Tundra. I've noticed the slant loads can fit a dressing room without adding to the length of the trailer. That would be nice since it would put less stress on the truck.

My problem is that I have a big horse - 17.1 hand draft cross. Some people are telling me that he might be too big for a slant load. I guess the slots can be narrow and there could be a problem with head room. Height isn't an issue since I can get an extra tall, I'm talking nose-to-tail and side-to-side room.

Does anyone have experience with big horses in slant loads? I'm looking at 2 horse BP models. Does it matter who makes the trailer? Or should I just stick with a straight load?
    The big guy: Lincoln

Southern Maryland Equestrian

Yeah, you might have troubles with your horse in a slant spot. Do you only haul him? A slant load should be fine if you can give him both slant spots. If you've got to haul two horses regularly, I would look at a straight load.

Comment

Take a look at the Featherlite "Big Horse" series. They are light since they are aluminum and are huge on the inside. We have the 2 horse BP slant in the Big Horse and we regularly fit a 17.3 Oldenburg and a 17.2 dutch (built like a tank) irish cross in there with plenty of room to spare.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by mjrtango93 View Post
        Take a look at the Featherlite "Big Horse" series. They are light since they are aluminum and are huge on the inside. We have the 2 horse BP slant in the Big Horse and we regularly fit a 17.3 Oldenburg and a 17.2 dutch (built like a tank) irish cross in there with plenty of room to spare.
        Good to know, thanks!!

Simkie, usually I'm hauling two horses.

Any ideas on a straight load w/ dressing room that won't be too heavy for a Tundra? My trailer now is steel, I'm assuming getting an aluminum trailer would help with the weight issue?
        The big guy: Lincoln

Southern Maryland Equestrian

Comment

My 18hh guy is smooshed in a slant that was made for drafts (Jamco, 3 horse slant). He's much more comfy in a straight. Hawks have a wide varity of options and are pretty reasonably priced. I believe those are steel frame aluminum body.
          *bad shoulder clique * Member of "OMGiH, I loff my Mare" Clique! * Proud owner of a CANTER Cutie!
          My Horses; COMH Page; My Blog

Comment

4-Star will build you any configuration you want. The base slant design is quite roomy as it is (I can fit my friend's long 17hh gelding on mine, no prob), but changing the angle of the slant stalls can buy you some extra space.

I was a die-hard straight load person until I got my 3H, and surprised myself by really liking the slant. Mine is very roomy, well-designed/built, and extremely user-friendly, so that makes it easy to love.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckz View Post
              Good to know, thanks!!

Simkie, usually I'm hauling two horses.

Any ideas on a straight load w/ dressing room that won't be too heavy for a Tundra? My trailer now is steel, I'm assuming getting an aluminum trailer would help with the weight issue?
              Not sure what your tow is or how much your horses weigh. The weight on ours I believe is #3200 or so.

Comment

there are already a bunch of good threads on slant vs straight load -- definitely worth reading.

I'd use anything BUT a slant. They're deceptively small for the horses and deceptively heavy to tow. It's hard to get horses out, and you have to unload horse #2 and #3 if you only wanted #1 out. Horses do not like to haul on the angle the slants put them on. Slants usually have the left door blocked off with a tack box, making the entrance appear smaller (and making some horses reluctant to get on). I also don't like that they don't have chest or butt bars; the only thing holding a horse in place is the partition.

I saw this based on owning straight loads & a stock trailer. At one poing I was also borrowing a friend's high-end fancy, newer "oversized" 3-h slant. I have big horses, and at the time it was a big Belgian I was riding/hauling. Once or twice fighting with the slant load, and it just wasn't worth the fight. He'd sort-of fit but it was scary getting him through the bottleneck of the narrow doorway then asking him to stand as we pushed a partition up against his side.

If you're adding a room and not adding length to the trailer, that space has to come from somewhere (the horses' area!). Look really carefully at the total length and width the horse has -- measuring length of horse's space not of length the whole angled wall (does that make sense?). Also consider that some horses are not happy to see the big metal partition swinging towards them, and until the partition is locked in, a freaking-out horse can explode out of the trailer.
                Veterinarians for Equine Welfare

Comment

Originally posted by MayS View Post
                  Also consider that some horses are not happy to see the big metal partition swinging towards them, and until the partition is locked in, a freaking-out horse can explode out of the trailer.
                  Been here, done this, and got the broken elbow to show for it. Even horses who are good on trailers (like my been-everywhere campaigner) hated the slant load and became a complete a$$ about it. I know some people love them and swear by them, but really consider what your horse thinks.

I'll also say that in looking for trailers recently, the difference in weight between slant and straight load was negligible. You're not really saving anything.
                  Here Be Dragons: My blog about venturing beyond the lower levels as a dressage amateur.

Comment

My experiences with slant-load trailers suggest that they offer a great deal of convenience to the rider at the expense of comfort to the horse.

Comment

Another straight load fan here. No way would I want a slant, especially if I was hauling more than one horse.

My 1400 lb ISH,Guinnes-barrel-on-legs tank fits quite nicely in my CM Saratoga
                      I wasn't always a Smurf
                      Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                      "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                      The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Originally posted by Good Old Sledge View Post
                        My experiences with slant-load trailers suggest that they offer a great deal of convenience to the rider at the expense of comfort to the horse.
                        I would disagree. A well built slant provides a support that the horse can lean against during acceleration (usually pretty gentle) and deceleration (which can be dramatic).

As with anything, the horse must trained to trailer. Some will "object" to either straight or slant, some won't.

I've owned three straights, and now a slant (all Featherlights but one). I don't really have a personal preference. I think the horses are probably more comfortable in the slant that a head forward straight. A head to the rear straight might be marginally more comfortable for the horse but I'm not really sure.

I've had horses hauled professionally (as far as CA) in both kinds. The horses arrived at their destination safe and sound.

IMO a smaller, more secure (which will be more restrictive) method like the slant is probably safer. The idea of 1000-1500 pounds of horse "going adrift" inside any kind of trailer is un-nerving to me. The slant seems to provide a bit more of a "seat belt" effect.

At the end of the day there's not much evidence to support any method.

G.
                        Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Originally posted by Good Old Sledge View Post
                          Great Observation!

Horses never complain about a trailer having too much room. If you wish to go light with a dressing room, get an aluminum stock trailer. I bought an EBY 24' aluminum stock trailer this spring, 4' dressing room and 20' on the floor...it weighs 4,040 lbs. Tons of room. You can get a nice bumper pull stock trailer with dressing room that weighs considerably less. I towed a 16' steel stock trailer (Corn-Pro) with a Chevy Avalanche 1/2 ton truck. It towed great (yep, it was within the towing capacity of the truck) and was a very inviting and comfortable trailer for the horses during long trips.

Better 2 carried well than 3 miserable. Do it right, your horses will thank you.
                          "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Comment

Oh for crying out loud, all this stupidity about what the horse likes, or what is better for the animal, and convenience for the rider. EITHER YOUR HORSE WILL FIT IN A SLANT, OR HE WONT. None of my horses ever spoke to me and said which is better. If a horse wont load BOTH a slant and a straight that is a rider/handler problem.......not the horse.

Neither the slant or straight load is better.....whichever works for you is what matters. These guys complaining about how terrible a slant is because THEIR silly butt forced a horse into a trailer that was to small for him is asinine.

Duckz,

It sounds like your horse will not fit well in a 'standard' slant, you may find an oversize or have one made that would work. I suspect a straight would serve you better, and I doubt the weight savings would make much difference.
                            Disclaimer;
                            Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
                            Not in the 42% or the 96%

Comment

Originally posted by 2bee View Post
                              Oh for crying out loud, all this stupidity about what the horse likes, or what is better for the animal, and convenience for the rider...None of my horses ever spoke to me and said which is better...These guys complaining about how terrible a slant is because THEIR silly butt forced a horse into a trailer that was to small for him is asinine.
                              My horses speak to me...I can tell when they're uncomfortable, nervous, content or just plain relaxed. I can tell when a horse gets off the trailer if he had an easy time during the trip or a miserable trek, scrambling for a secure footing.

Studies have been done regarding head position for a long trip, types of flooring, direction of the horse during trailering (most of mine prefer to face backward given a choice). The attitude of "Screw the horse, I really don't see them as a living animal" is very strange to me and more common in polo riders who too commonly see horses as disposable and guys who foxhunt only riding to hounds and again seeing the horse as a motorized vehicle that sweats.

Horses "talk" if we pay attention to their cues. I can't arrive at a show and expect my horses to perform well if they're miserable from the trip.
                              "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Comment

Originally posted by Trakehner View Post
                                My horses speak to me...I can tell when they're uncomfortable, nervous, content or just plain relaxed. I can tell when a horse gets off the trailer if he had an easy time during the trip or a miserable trek, scrambling for a secure footing.

Studies have been done regarding head position for a long trip, types of flooring, direction of the horse during trailering (most of mine prefer to face backward given a choice). The attitude of "Screw the horse, I really don't see them as a living animal" is very strange to me and more common in polo riders who too commonly see horses as disposable and guys who foxhunt only riding to hounds and again seeing the horse as a motorized vehicle that sweats.

Horses "talk" if we pay attention to their cues. I can't arrive at a show and expect my horses to perform well if they're miserable from the trip.
                                Yes studies have been done, they are no more definitive that what will be arrived at here.

Maybe you could stop by and talk to my horses and see what they think since you’re implying I don’t care..........good grief.
                                Disclaimer;
                                Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.

Comment

Horses don't talk. They do communicate.

Trailering is not about equine comfort, it's about safety for humans and equines. If it was all about equine comfort we'd never put a horse in a trailer. Or a stall. Or in any sort of enclosure. From that perspective a slant is probably better for impact protection (a 1000 pound horse careening around inside an aluminum trailer is not something I like to contemplate).

From other perspectives a slant may be disadvantageous. But the same can be said about any method of trailering. Compromise, i.e. picking the optimum combination of safety and convienience, is the name of the game.

At the end of the day it's what the human chooses to make THEM most comfortable.

G.
                                  Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

I have a 3 horse slant GN w/ full dressing room-I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! and my horses do too- I've never had a problem with anyone not fitting ect. My trailer is really versatile. I can have three separated stalls (and yes, if I leave it that way, the first two would be two small for a big horse), two box stalls, leave the whole thing open like a stock trailer, etc. Actually yesterday, I went and picked up a new mare from a rescue. She's 5 but barely leads and had never been on a trailer before. I set up the trailer so I had one small stall in the front (and I took my very quite Morgan mare along in that so the new girl would have company) and left the back like a big box stall. We had the new horse on in less than five minutes and she had no problem for the two hour haul home- I think that speaks volumes. This trailer is also way lighter and easier to pull than my two horse BP that I used to have.

The one thing that I dislike about a lot of slants is the rear dressing room- I specifically looked for one that did NOT have that.

Here's a pic of the one that is very similar to what I have- mine is a bit shorter:
                                    http://www.exiss.com/gooseneck_lives...er/modelstc20/

PS- My 17.2 hand long bodied Westfalen fits just fine in it
                                    I'm good at being uncomfortable so I can't stop changing all the time -Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine
                                    If I were your appendages, I'd hold open your eyes so you would see- Incubus

Comment

I pull with a Tundra . . .

I have (and looooove) my Hawk 2-horse straight load BP with dressing room. I bought the larger thoroughbred size and it's been a great trailer. I tow with my V8 Tundra (with towing package) and we go everywhere with it.
                                      If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

Comment

Originally posted by Guilherme View Post
                                        Horses don't talk. They do communicate.

.....If it was all about equine comfort we'd never put a horse in a trailer. Or a stall. Or in any sort of enclosure.....
                                        Or ride them for our amusement to begin with.....
                                        Disclaimer;

Comment

Working...
                                        X