• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The White Eye

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The White Eye

Do you think that white around the eye indicates nutty horse? My friend loved the pics of my often mare until she then saw her in person and made an offhand comment about it. Mare is in your pocket sweet level headed so far

In the western world, that used to be said of "walleyed" horses with any degree of white showing.
    I expect there were some lines that were flighty that had those and so all with those eyes were being considered flighty.
    Cause and effect are not always what we assume, are they.

You also heard that saying about one white foot, ok, two look him over good, three, beware and four, "feed it to the crows".

With so many paints out there today, that have much more white showing in their eyes, people today are getting used to that just being part of otherwise normal horses.

Comment

My QH Sonny had just a little bit of white always showing. It gave him a slightly startled look. He was a good solid citizen. Was used as a lesson horse for beginners. He had virtually no spook in him and was really lazy in the ring.

So no I know it does not indicate a nutty horse.
      Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

Originally posted by SonnysMom View Post
        My QH Sonny had just a little bit of white always showing. It gave him a slightly startled look. He was a good solid citizen. Was used as a lesson horse for beginners. He had virtually no spook in him and was really lazy in the ring.

So no I know it does not indicate a nutty horse.
        If that Sonny goes back to Sonny Dee Bar, yes, those have old paint lines back there and many show white around the eyes.
        Could not find nicer, less reactive, puppy dog personalities, showing us that no, white showing is not flighty in itself.

I heard that same for years and still today, if a horse has more than most white around the eyes, I double check, to be sure it is not flighty.
        Old habits are hard to break.

Comment

My trainer does not particularly care for wall-eyed horses and really does not like if they have one blue and one brown eye. I cannot recall if two blue eyes are alright with her. It is all bias based on personal experience.

I love looking at threads asking about conformation and try to see what other people note in pictures, but what makes me laugh is the comment 'he has a really kind eye'. What does that even mean? I bet my crazy mare has a really kind eye...I should take a confo shot of her and see if I get that comment at all.

Comment

I know a horse with tons of white around his eyes (he has brown eyes). He is probably the chillest, calmest, sweetest horse ever born! He always looks kind of surprised or worried, though, but that is only because of his eyes, since he is totally relaxed.

Comment

Wall eyes bother some people due to how they look. They tend to look more "human" and less animal since we rarely see pets/animals eyes with white that shows. And that can freak people out.
              The "wall eyes are crazy" probably started due to a horse being spooked will widen it's eyes and some white may then show. Possibly people assumed a wall eye was always spooky, who knows?
              Others agree with the showing whites being crazy because they have issues winning arguments with Appaloosas, LOL!

Wall eyes don't bother me. Neither do watch eyes (one blue eye) or blue eyes horses. Although I would probably pass on a blue eyed horse if they had pink surrounding the eyes instead of darker skin.

Many of the old sayings are old wives' tales. And some we still say as more of a joke...like beware the chestnut mare! And like Bluey said, used to be thought that 3-4 white feet on a horse meant it will have weak feet and go lame.
              You jump in the saddle,
              Hold onto the bridle!
              Jump in the line!
              ...Belefonte

Comment

One of my current horses will show white when alert and he is a little reactive at times.
                I don't think that he shows white is a sign that he may be reactive, just that when he is reactive, his white in the eye shows more.
                Another equally reactive horse with less white we would not notice anything different.

Comment

Mine has a wild, white, evil eye. From what I've heard she always a was a kind of wild, not sure if I would term her nuts. She does have one or two mean bones in her, and hates being still. A head shot was enough to convince one of my coworkers that his austic 6 yro didn't need to ride her (he'd hinted/asked several times before)

The other one has a "kind eye" Never.Again. Sweet on the ground, but massive *itch if you want her to work. This is the one that worries, too. Sweet is highly overrated.
                  Visit my Spoonflower shop

Comment

More mythical nonsense it's a conformation of eye nothing else....personally I will choose that eye over another in a horse....gives them character...

Comment

My guy has white around each eye and one is brown and the other is blue. I may be a bit biased, but I'm pretty sure he's the best horse in the world . He's a solid citizen for beginners and a blast to ride in general.

Brown eye: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Blue eye: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
                      Southern Cross Guest Ranch
                      An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

Comment

Blue eyes sorta freak me out but I try not to let that prejudice me against the animal.

Goat's eyes bother me, too. Although I think goats themselves are cute, cute, cute, I just can't look into those eyes!

A breeder of Davenport Arabians once told me that the Arabs considered the all-brown eye the "angel eye" and one with white showing the "man eye".

Comment

Originally posted by altermetoday View Post
                          Do you think that white around the eye indicates nutty horse? My friend loved the pics of my often mare until she then saw her in person and made an offhand comment about it. Mare is in your pocket sweet level headed so far
                          Appys have white around the eye, they are smart and they don't take a lot of Sh*t before they start fighting back so there is my theory of where the saying got started.
                          A pussycat of a horse with a chewed off tail won the triple crown, The Cubs won the world series and Trump won the Presidency.
                          Don't tell me 'It can't be done.'

Comment

It doesn't make them crazy, it makes them not as attractive (to some).
                            Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

People ask me all the time if my horse is blind in his blue eye. I typically point to my own blue eyes and say my eyes are blue, but I'm not blind
                              Southern Cross Guest Ranch
                              An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

Comment

After owning an Appaloosa for as long as I did, it took me forever to get used to seeing them WITHOUT a white sclera! I actually like the look.

I think it's just that, to those who have dark-scleraed horses, the horse with white sclera looks flighty b/c the only time they usually see it is when other horses ARE being flighty. (I hope that makes sense).
                                "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                  One of my current horses will show white when alert and he is a little reactive at times.
                                  I don't think that he shows white is a sign that he may be reactive, just that when he is reactive, his white in the eye shows more.
                                  Mine is just like this. It's pretty common in Morgans, and for the "hotter" types of classes (e.g. park saddle, park harness, in-hand) is considered a plus.

But at the same time, many people have told me that she has a "kind eye." She's pretty awesome no matter what her eyes look like.
                                  You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

My young guy (hann) has one where the white sclera shows, complete with white eyelashes and a blaze that goes over the top.....I think he's the cutest thing ever AND he's completely sane and level headed (been on stall rest for almost 2 mths with NO drugs whatsoever) and for riding he's just amazingly zen about everything!
                                    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Comment

I was taught that a walleye is specifically white or blue in the iris. I think the OP is talking about horses that have sclera showing around the typically brown part.

FTR my horse does have some sclera showing most of the time. It gives him a bit of a worried look but believe me, he's a far cry from nutty. Good solid guy that can take a joke. He has to be able to take a joke, he has me as a rider.
                                      "Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple” – Barry Switzer

Comment

Originally posted by JBCool View Post
                                        After owning an Appaloosa for as long as I did, it took me forever to get used to seeing them WITHOUT a white sclera! I actually like the look.

I think it's just that, to those who have dark-scleraed horses, the horse with white sclera looks flighty b/c the only time they usually see it is when other horses ARE being flighty. (I hope that makes sense).
                                        Makes perfect sense to me.
                                        "Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple” – Barry Switzer

Comment

Working...
                                        X