• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Must-Have Features for Your Horse Trailer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our ceiling vents do not let sun in. They are built so they just pull airflow. I can open them front or backwards when it rains. I do love my drop down windows. I can slide them open or drop them and have sliding windows at rear. I did get a ramp with Dutch doors that I love because I can travel with the doors open up to for more air.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

I love my insulated ceiling - stops the drips in winter, stays cooler longer in the summer, deadens sound. Mine actually is just yellow foam sprayed on.
      I think that is the one thing I would not go without.

I also have good outside lights along the side because we often are tacking up I the dark.

I wish I had ordered (but did not) is a vent or a screened window in the door, in the tack room. There have been times when we could have slept in it, but would have suffocated!
      Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

I also would suggest big back up lights for those nights when parking in the dark.
        Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Originally posted by Chall View Post
          Those ceiling vents, are they worth it? I have a sunroof on my car (Subaru forester), and I fry in stalled traffic in the summer. Stupid sunroof seems to break the insulation effect of the rest of the roof, it gets hot to the touch (car is dark color too).
          They direct air down when the trailer is in motion. They don't do much in stalled traffic.

As far as color goes, I stuck with white on the LQ. Not much I could do about the smaller trailer, it is all aluminum of the usual aluminum color. I can never believe it when I see people buying dark colored horse trailers, myself.
          America dialed 911. Donald Trump answered the phone.

Stop pumping money into colleges and start getting ready to earn money in the projected tradesman shortage of 2024. Make Trades Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by RubyTuesday View Post
            They direct air down when the trailer is in motion. They don't do much in stalled traffic.

As far as color goes, I stuck with white on the LQ. Not much I could do about the smaller trailer, it is all aluminum of the usual aluminum color. I can never believe it when I see people buying dark colored horse trailers, myself.
            21 yrs ago I purchased the demo Bison TB size trailer at the Congress. It was a dark brown with insulated roof. (I only just in the last month sold that trailer for a new one.) I never had a problem with heat because of the dark color. I do live in Ohio so maybe never as hot in the southern states. I really liked that trailer as it pulled so nice and the horses seem to love it too as I never had a horse refuse to get in---in fact they all acted like the family dog--- She hooked the trailer up!! Let's see who can get in first!! That trailer had front vents plus sliding side windows and sliding back windows.
            My definate "must have" in my new trailer was: Step up and full size front escape doors (as opposed to those little half doors that used to be so common in the 70-80's. Over the years I have hauled sooo many young first time in the trailer horses that the ability to step right out the front with minumn fuss is very important to me. Where my old trailer had only one full length escape door my new one has a full lenght door on both sides. Some people like to walk straight through to the dressing/tack room but that was an option that I really didn't want. Easy enough to step out of main part and open door to dressing room. The dressing room has a crank up roof vent and a sliding window in the door which so far seems to keep the area cool enough though I might look into a fan to add to the roof vent!

Comment

I went cheap and I have a Ryobi fan from Home Depot that runs off the same batteries as our power drills. It has a bunch of hooks that you can use to attach it different ways. It moves a fair amount of air and no wiring required-- so I can just move it into the dressing room or outside or whatever and then hook it back up for the trip home. It runs on Hi for about six hours on one of the batteries but throwing a spare one into the dressing room is no big deal.

My new trailer will have stock sides behind the dressing room doors, so no issues there with ventilation.
              Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
              you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

Originally posted by soloudinhere View Post
                I went cheap and I have a Ryobi fan from Home Depot that runs off the same batteries as our power drills. It has a bunch of hooks that you can use to attach it different ways. It moves a fair amount of air and no wiring required-- so I can just move it into the dressing room or outside or whatever and then hook it back up for the trip home. It runs on Hi for about six hours on one of the batteries but throwing a spare one into the dressing room is no big deal.

My new trailer will have stock sides behind the dressing room doors, so no issues there with ventilation.
                Thank you for the tip on the Ryobi fan! I will look into one.

Comment

Originally posted by DressageFancy View Post
                  Thank you for the tip on the Ryobi fan! I will look into one.
                  it's this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-One...7#.Uhp6MGRASg8

more cost effective if you already have the batteries or have a need for a drill, but I like that I can hook it in different places depending on where I need airflow. I once bungeed it to some slats on a stock trailer. And when I'm really hot, I can pick it up and hold it in front of my face!

I have one of those wire grid organizers in the front of my trailer (www.organizedbarn.com I think...) and I got a basket that it fits in-- so I just clip the top hook with a double ended snap to make sure it's upright, and leave it in that when the trailer is moving.
                  Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                  you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

• Original Poster

soloud ... thanks for the links!
                    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Comment

I have a Trails West Classic 2h. I bought it because it was the biggest warmblood size I could find. My only complaint is that it its not a GN with living quarters otherwise its been an awesome trailer. Things I couldn't live without: dropdown windows. My previous trailer didn't have them, would never buy one without again. Also, swing out saddle racks. Great for haul in shows and make packing super easy. Lastly we got the 50gal water tank. I didn't use it for years... Then took my horse to a show and he refused to drink their water and started behaving colicky. Don't go anywhere without a tank if farm water now just in case and I'm so glad I have that thing!

Comment

I love my front ramp and the openness of my new Eclipse trailer.http://www.eclipsealuminumtrailers.c...ht-loads/st-sr My non loader now loads. It also has lots of windows, roof vents and fans. I didn't put a dressing room wall in so in a pinch I could haul a third (small) horse.

I keep a luggable loo handy, either in the front of the trailer or the pickup
                        I wasn't always a Smurf
                        Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                        "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                        The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

For a slant load... Back drop-downs are a must have for the summer heat. Stuck in traffic? Open the fronts & back and it's like a run-in shed. Even at high noon crawling forward! The horses elicit smiles from passing drivers as they nod to them. (I do pull over after the jam to close the fronts again)
                          Equus makus brokus but happy

Comment

I love the Ryobi fan, thanks soloud! And the orange traffic cones. I'm new to trailer owning, so I love hearing from all you experienced haulers.

Comment

My state requires either flares or safety triangles. I have safety triangles.
                              You could use the triangles in place of the cones to keep people from parking too close at shows/trail heads. They take up less room in the dressing room or under a truck seat than the cones do since they fold up and store in a box.
                              http://www.autosportcatalog.com/road...angles-kit.cfm
                              Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

Working...
                              X