Stallion Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

exterior
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Boarding Facility Hours of Operation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I board multiple horses. I fox hunt. From Aug to November I arrive twice a week at 530 AM to feed early breakfast and haul out to hunt. (After Nov our hunt time moves later by several hours)

During the summer we do evening hound walking often followed by dinner. I usually haul back to the barn by 10 PM. I don't even know if my farm has operating hours but it has never been an issue. I am in and out, clean up after myself, turn off all lights etc.

I would have a real issue with the "no riding alone" rule. I ride alone all the time, keep my cell phone on my person. Accidents can certainly happen, whether you're alone or not. Its an accepted risk of the sport. Lets face it, we all are engaged in a dangerous sport we love but one that easily has the potential for fatal accidents...

Comment

My barn recently moved to a new facility and instituted new hours. I guess it is because they won't be living on the property. So the new hours are Tuesday and Friday 9-6, Wednesday and Thursday 9-8, Saturday and Sunday 9-4. Closed Monday.

This is a hunter/jumper barn so most folks are in either a lesson program or training board. I haven't moved yet because the facility is not completed, but the hours will work for me because I work virtual from home and can keep my own schedule.

Of course, during the summer the hours may be earlier due to the heat but that won't be too much of a factor as soon as the covered arena is completed.

I realize this wouldn't work for a lot of people, but I like to ride and socialize so I'm not much into the "alone" time anymore. In fact, when they moved the first wave of folks over last week, I felt lonely as the old barn is so empty.
      Proud member of the Clean Horse, Dirty House Clique! Founder of the Goodbye Fat, Hello Muscle Clique!

Comment

Man, those hours would suck for me in the summertime. I both have, you know, a day job and I hate getting up early. I go out to the barn around 6 or 7. Having it close at 4 on the weekend would be a good reason for me to find a new barn.
        The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
        Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Comment

Originally posted by analise View Post
          Man, those hours would suck for me in the summertime. I both have, you know, a day job and I hate getting up early. I go out to the barn around 6 or 7. Having it close at 4 on the weekend would be a good reason for me to find a new barn.
          Well it also helps that I work West Coast hours too so I don't "officially" have to be in online until 10:30 am Central.
          Proud member of the Clean Horse, Dirty House Clique! Founder of the Goodbye Fat, Hello Muscle Clique!

Comment

Originally posted by Coanteen View Post
            Not only that, many are puzzled by the "no riding unless someone's present" rule, period. I've never boarded at a place that had a rule like that, and I've boarded at barns that had operating hours and other rules (eg. not allowed to ride without helmet).
            I have that as a personal rule and I think the recent incident of the eventer that died after a fall while riding alone shows why it is perfectly reasonable. I want someone around to realize something is wrong within a reasonable amount of time so my life could possibly be saved. Now, having as a barn rule? Well, if someone really doesn't care about their life, then I guess it's their decision.

Originally posted by WildBlue View Post
            I expect that's part of it.

I also think people interpret "don't ride alone" differently. I do have that policy, but in a 'make sure someone knows where to look for your body' sense rather than 'someone needs to physically watch you'. Some people literally don't think about what everyone else is supposed to do if a boarder's car is left sitting for a suspiciously long time or their horse comes back alone.
            Yep. IMO, Riding alone means that there is no one who will follow up if things go awry and should be avoided if at all possible.

Originally posted by tangledweb View Post
            My job "owns" me for the number of hours we agreed when we entered into that business relationship. Similarly, I entered into a business relationship to board my horses on the understanding I could work with them at the hours that fit into my schedule.

If my boss came to me one day and said "I know we agreed to $x for 40 hours a week, but from now on it will be same salary but we need you here 80 hours a week" I'd leave.
            You must not be salaried/exempt then? (or perhaps not in an at-will state?). 'Cause there is no such thing as 40/week. It's work until it's done.

I have no problem with a barn having hours. My barn doesn't officially have them, but the lights turn off at 10 (I think). I don't want to be at the barn that late anyway. And yes...I work. A LOT at the moment and can still get it all done in the hours available. It has taken some creative planning (go home before barn? ARe you kidding...I would curl up on my couch) but it is do-able. The barn I grew up in as a kid had hours and was closed on Monday...which many show barn are. You just figure it out.
            Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
            Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

Sunrise to sunset, seeing as how there are no lights, or even electricity, on 90% of the property. In the summer that's roughly 6am to 7pm, and in the winter 7am to 6pm. We don't have alot of variation in our day length this close to the Equator, just enough to trigger a winter coat to grow.

I'm lucky, when working days I get off work at 2 or 3 depending on my day, and when I work nights I don't have to be at work until 2pm.

For what it's worth, my job pays less than what it would cost to board 3 horses in many places and they most certainly do own me 24/7/365.
              For the horse color genetics junky

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow, what a response from everyone!! Thank you for all the input.

To answer some of the questions that have been asked, the "no riding alone" rule does not mean that someone has to be watching you ride. Someone has to be on the premise and that someone has to be old enough to dial 911 is there is an emergency. This is simply a rule for safety purposes. This rule use to be just a encouraged policy, until one of our boarders was riding her bombproof QH alone and fell off and broke her back. She was lying there in pain for 2 hours before someone found her. Just not okay. And yes, she did have her cell phone on her, but it was crushed in the impact of the fall. Freak accident, I know, but for riders protection we decided to turn that encouraged policy into an enforced rule.

As far as the barn hours go, if a boarder needed to come out early in the morning or late in the evening and called, we would absolutely be okay with it (as long as that no riding alone rule was followed). The problem is that we have morning staff and we have evening staff. Morning staff is 7-11am, evening staff leaves at 4:30-7:30. The instructors (including my boss) teach between 9am-7pm), so that means that if we stay open until 10pm, my boss would need to be at the barn from 9:30am-10pm, 7 days per week. Not a reasonable schedule at all (and yes, I know that there is no reasonable schedule in the horse world, but you have to have some down time, or you will burn out).

After discussion with my boss, we have decided that we are going to make the hours 7am-8:30pm, which exceptions to the rule for those individuals that bring their own riding buddy or "watch-out" person and they must call ahead. And of course these hours are flexible for show mornings/evenings.

Comment

Where I board they set the hours from 9am to 5pm. I’m heartbroken. The care is excellent, but my life revolves around my horse time. They’re my life!

Comment

Still relevant, but 4 year old zombie thread

Comment

Working...
                    X