• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Stupid people, not doing their research *Mini Rant*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charismaryllis View Post
    If the barns were there first, then these people "moved to the nuisance." It's their problem.
    You'd think, but this is absolutely not how the world works.

The way the world works is this: land will be used in the end for the greater good. Of course our idea of what constitutes the greater good is the horses. But for the majority of people it's no horses, and the philosophy is that although there were farms and horses before, times have changed, and now the majority of people don't like the horses and therefore the horses must go. I've seen this happen again and again, and been told flat out that's how most people feel: that was then, this is now, and it's time for the horses (cows/dogs/chickens, whatever) to go elsewhere.

I know a woman who has a boarding kennel, properly licensed and inspected. It's been there for probably 20 years, maybe longer, and the place has been a farm since the 1700's, with a 1700s house she lives in. The zoning where she lives has changed since she's been there - she couldn't get a kennel license today, but no matter, she's grandfathered in. Adjoining land has been sold over the years and there are now houses nearby. Of course her farm (horses, sheep, chickens) and boarding kennel have been there since before these houses were built, but the people who live in them now have complained to the township because they now live near a boarding kennel and they don't like it. Guess who lost? The township has agreed that her properly licensed facility, grandfathered in, must be shut down. Why? Because she's one household saying YEA while there are 5 households saying NAY. Majority rules, the neighborhood has changed and the boarding kennel is no longer acceptable to the new people.

\

Comment

I find it even more appalling the guy owns a steer. You expect your fellow livestock owners to be a little more tolerant.

Comment

I'm utterly astonished that one person listed in the article, "Mark Caputo, emergency room chief at Holy Cross Hospital in Fort Lauderdale" would be OK with Ms. Laramee's actions that could cause injury to others. Or at least, I'm assuming that he is, considering his name is listed right along with hers. I guess as long as Dr. Caputo isn't doing the harm himself, he thinks that it's OK.

Additionally, I love that when you do a Google search of the properties (which I did, because I was curious as to how the layout of the land looks), if you look at the street view, the Laramees have two posts outside of their driveway with statues of rearing horses. Street view also gives an idea of just how narrow that street is, how close the paddocks and such are to the road, and how dangerous it could be for riders if some jerk came screeching along in their car.
        Last edited by see u at x; Jun. 19, 2013, 09:32 AM.
        "I was not expecting the park rangers to lead the resistance, none of the dystopian novels I read prepared me for this but cool."

Comment

Originally posted by mswillie View Post
          Not horses, but I live near a refinery. I'm not fond of it but it was built a few years before I was born (~1956-57). When I bought my house I knew it was close.

Now we have a bunch of McMansion dwellers up the road who want to shut the refinery down.

I just want to see the 5 square mile tarp they covered it with when the dwellers came to look at the houses because obviously someone must have hidden it from them.
          perhaps they had something like this?
          http://twistedsifter.com/2012/01/cam...-netting-wwii/

Comment

Originally posted by Sannois View Post
            People want to say they live in the country but lord help us if there are really country farms and animals. Rrrrrr.
            Oh yes, this sums it up so well!
            HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

Comment

Originally posted by 2horseygirls View Post
              I found this handout years ago - perhaps if you live in an area where subdivisions are encroaching - or you just have new from-the-city neighbors - it might be worth a share.

http://www.granitehillsdesign.com/ru...ralHandout.pdf

I live outside Chicago, and you always hear about someone who knows someone who is complaining because their condo backs up to the El tracks.

Like, seriously? Did you think the elevated train tracks were a modern art installation - across the whole city???

God bless the realtor or developer who asked their buyers to sign the release acknowledging those things that come with living near horses -- and how sad that our country has come to spelling out common sense.

And for the wingnut in the article who came up behind the riders honking and waving -- I'm thinking her actions could induce serious physical harm to person and property, and a few temporary restraining orders should be issued. If she had done that behind my Percheron gelding, she'd have been in for a big surprise when he kicked out her radiator or smushed the front end of her precious white Mercedes!

Ah! Yours is better than mine.... many moons ago this was linked on COTH and I've saved it to give folks moving out to live in "nature"....

http://www.gallatin.mt.gov/Public_Do...bdocs/codewest
              HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

Comment

Originally posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
                It happened where I board several years back. I could tell stories all day about those yuppie citidiot assholes and the headaches they have caused us, especially their adderall-fueled, spastic, rude trespassing yuppie crotch-spawn. I've never felt such a hatred in my soul for my fellow man until they built the McMansions by our barn.

Those people in the news article, I feel their pain. Acutely.

Comment

Originally posted by MMacallister View Post
                  but being rude and dangerous just because they don't get their way is ridiculous.
                  Welcome to America....
                  Surgeon General warns: "drinking every time Trump lies during the debate could result in acute alcohol poisoning."

Comment

Last night I read Carl Hiassen's new book "Bad Monkey" All of his books take place in Florida and I always find them hilarious and just slightly over the top. After reading some more on this, maybe he is more spot on than over the top.
                    www.michelesfindinghappiness.com

Comment

Originally posted by Angelico View Post
                      Is it widespread ignorance? Or widespread selfishness?
                      In answer to your question: YES

I am a former "citiot" who relocated to my farmette 9yrs ago so I could have my horses at home.
                      Now I'm glad the county redid the zoning laws so less than 10ac (I have 5) cannot be subdivided.
                      This assures me that once past the 5 new subdivisions that sprang up after I moved here, but prior to the rezoning, there is no danger of the small acreages surrounding me turning into the housing equivalent of Cube Farm offices.

So far I have understanding neighbors, many of whom have horses too.

The funniest story I've heard was the subdividers who moved in to the development that bordered a forested area and were scandalized when hunting season opened and people were shooting BAMBI! right at the end of their backyards.
                      Oh, the horror.
                      *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                      Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                      Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                      Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Originally posted by see u at x View Post
                        I'm utterly astonished that one person listed in the article, "Mark Caputo, emergency room chief at Holy Cross Hospital in Fort Lauderdale" would be OK with Ms. Laramee's actions that could cause injury to others. Or at least, I'm assuming that he is, considering his name is listed right along with hers. I guess as long as Dr. Caputo isn't doing the harm himself, he thinks that it's OK.
                        ....It's been slow at the hospital and he's trying to drum up business?
                        Author Page
                        Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                        Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Originally posted by Chester's Mom View Post
                          Ah! Yours is better than mine.... many moons ago this was linked on COTH and I've saved it to give folks moving out to live in "nature"....

More brutal perhaps, but I personally don't think we've done our citizenry any favors by making these invisible issues, and then people b*tch about their taxes and local government doing "nothing". Nutcases like these FL people would be too busy dealing with their own lives and not harassing the neighbor if they had to sort their own recycling and trash and take it to the center and then the dump, mow and maintain their own common areas on a work share basis, and deal with the water being off for part of the day or the power being off for days. Even if they had to pay for someone to do these things for them they would still (maybe) understand.
                          Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                          Incredible Invisible

Comment

Originally posted by AbbieS View Post
                            Exactly, that's what my parent's said. They aren't "horsey" people at all, but they don't like stupid people. My mom is kind of worried the horses will eventually be removed, she doesn't want the stupid people to win.
                            Then, they should be sure and stay informed of any actions the city/county might take, show up at meetings, and SUPPORT the equine community. I am sure if they asked the farm's owners to keep them informed, they would!!

Comment

Originally posted by MMacallister View Post
                              Last night I read Carl Hiassen's new book "Bad Monkey" All of his books take place in Florida and I always find them hilarious and just slightly over the top. After reading some more on this, maybe he is more spot on than over the top.
                              He's pretty funny. However, I prefer to think that most of the nutcases live way down in southern Florida. You know, where those knotheads are screaming at child riders and whackos are butchering other people's horses for meat. Too far south for the oak hammocks and pine trees to grow. That must be it. Not enough shade fries their brains.
                              “Pray, hope, and don't worry.”

St. Padre Pio

Comment

Originally posted by microbovine View Post
                                I prefer to think that most of the nutcases live way down in southern Florida. You know, where those knotheads are screaming at child riders and whackos are butchering other people's horses for meat. Too far south for the oak hammocks and pine trees to grow. That must be it. Not enough shade fries their brains.
                                That, and the fact that in Northern Florida, acting like that would get a person shot in short order.
                                I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

Originally posted by Chester's Mom View Post

That is fantastic! Have bookmarked it
                                  "Let's face it -- Beezie Madden is NOT looking over her shoulder for me anytime
                                  soon . . . or ever, even in her worst nightmares."

Member, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                                  X