• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Is it possible to break a boarding contract?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to break a boarding contract?

June 1st I moved my horse to a new barn. I moved him because even though he was very happy at our old barn it was about an hour drive from me, and new barn is only twenty minutes from my house. Since we moved my horse has not been happy at all. When I visited new barn barn owner promised full day turnout, and that she budgets for a bale of hay per horse per day. When we moved I told barn owner that my horse gets allergy meds, AM, and PM Smart Paks. I left everything in the grain room, labeled, with instructions. A few days ago I got a notice from Smart Pak that my auto-ships were getting ready to process. I went into the grain room and my smart pak package was unopened-- he hadn't received a single supplement since we moved nearly 3 weeks ago. I told barn owner and she said he would start receiving them. He also never received his allergy meds, which he has also now started receiving. The first two weeks we were there my horse was out for 2-3 hours of turnout, if that, but mostly he was left inside all day without any turnout. Then my horse got injured. One of the workers said he was fine the night before, when I went to pull him out of his stall the next day he was dead lame. Vet thinks a hoof abscess, which I am currently treating. So now he's on stall rest. While on stall rest he receives no afternoon hay. He goes from a flake in the AM, to a flake or two in the PM...no mid day hay. I also went up mid day the other day and he had no water. I have brought things up to the barn owner regarding turnout, water, and hay, and it's like everything is in one ear and out the other. This is a nice barn, with beautiful facilities, and I'm paying a great deal more for less care than I did at previous barn. Barn owner recently let go of her barn manager, so there are a bunch of working students doing chores, but no one consistently taking care of the horses. In the grain room there is no chart as to what each horse is supposed to receive in terms of meds/smart pak's etc. I do not feel like my horse is safe, or cared for well there. I don't want to attack the barn owner for anything, but I do want to get my horse out of there, preferably without giving 30 days notice. When I sent in my boarding contract last month, barn owner never sat down, went over it, and signed it with me. Has anyone ever left a barn without giving 30 days? My other option would be to give notice, and rough board him for the rest of our time there.

The BO was not under any obligation to sit down with you and explain the contract, you are assumed to have read it and understood it before you signed.

What does the contract say? Are the supplements and medications listed in the contract?

You know the horse world is a small one, and you might want to weigh taking the high road and not burning bridges.
    https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
    Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
    www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

You can give notice, pay for the 30 days, but leave right away.

What does the boarding contract say or promise with regard to turnout, feeding, etc?
      Flickr

Comment

Definitely refer to your contract where it specifically outlines what horse care your horse will be receiving. Highlight the parts that you are disputing (ie, 12 hours of turnout, all medications/supplements fed daily if provided by owner, etc.) if you plan to breech the contract.

Although it sounds like the care is not what you were expecting, it does not sound dangerous to your horse's health. It also sounds like you feel the worse part is you're paying more for location and facility, you're disappointed the care is not up to the perceived standards (which would be outlined in your contract).

If you're willing to burn bridges, go ahead and tell your BO you're unhappy with the care, you've outlined parts of the contract where you feel they have not been fulfilled, you feel you've taken all the possibly steps to rectify the situation (ie, talking to management), and that you're making arrangement to move your horse out July 1st.

When I wanted out of a barn fast but didn't feel my horse was in any danger, I simply paid for the month and then moved out when I wanted. I've never had any BO be offended or take issue with that.
        A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Comment

It does depend on what is in your contract.

I have left without notice when the boarding contract had been MATERIALLY and DEMONSTRABLY violated in multiple ways. The day I took my horse, I left a letter outlining the breaches of the contract by the BO. In that situation, I was more than comfortable that I would win if the BO attempted to sue me and I was also very comfortable that the BO would not try to sue me because she would not have wanted to deal with my counterclaims.

But it is always safe to give notice, pay what is due, and move the horse without waiting out the notice period.

Comment

It's your responsibility to thoroughly read any contract you sign and bring up and questions or concerns with the other party.

It certainly sounds like the barn has several problems. If you'd like to try to stay there, I would set up a time to sit down with the barn owner and discuss your concerns in a non-confrontational way. A simple "I just want to make sure we're all on the same page--it was my understanding that x, y and z were promised and instead I'm getting a, b and c. Is there something different that needs to happen for my horse to get x, y and z, or is the plan for the barn to move forward with a, b and c from here on out?" may be very illuminating.

If you'd like to get out now, whether or not you have to pay for 30 days depends on your contract. If the contract outlines the care your horse was to receive, and he has not received that care, the contract has been broken by the boarding barn and you are free to leave.

If the contract does not outline the care, and there is nothing in there that the barn has breached, you're likely better off just paying the 30 days and getting out ASAP.

Comment

Sure you can break it. How much it will cost you depends on how determined you are to get your horse out of there, how determined she is to enforce any penalties, whether either or both of you are willing to drag it to small claims court and whether or not you can prove she was in breach of the contract by providing crappy care.

Given the situation you describe I'd get my horse the hell out of there pronto and suss out the details later. Skimping on/skipping feedings, not giving turn-out, ESPECIALLY not giving meds/needed supplements would be deal-breakers for me. And mystery lameness on top of a BO not overseeing care of her own barn letting working students do everything? Hell no.

Comment

The short answer to your question is

1. Yes, any person can break any contract they have signed.

2. If they want to accept the consequences of doing that.

So what do you want, exactly?

Do you want to know if you are morally right? I suppose that depends on whether or not the BO's agreement with you specified parts of your horse's care that aren't getting done. In this case, she broke the contract first.

Do you want your money back? If so, you probably need to leave the farm, document all you can and then do the PITA small claims court thing.

Do you want to be able to leave now and not owe her for July? I think you'd need to be able to show her that you can prove to anyone watching (like a judge) that she has materially screwed up. And you need to look like someone who does not screw around.

Do you want the BO to like you? That depends on her personality and your diplomatic skills.

Do you want to be able to bail on the full care contract but go to self-care board? Again, that depends on the barn's options and your tact.
                The armchair saddler
                Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I had this issue myself with being promised turnout and coming to the barn and NEVER seeing my mare outside. My mare has arthritis and without turnout, she was literally crippled. Because of this, in three months I probably got about 7 rides in total because she could barely move.

I also rarely saw her with hay in front of her, and when I did, it was a sparse single flake (she's a big mare - so she needs a bit more than one flake 2x/day). She is an airfern who was portly on 4 flakes a day and a 1/4 scoop of senior feed per day at the old barn but in just 3 months at this new barn, she dropped about 150 pounds. Turns out, she stiffed the hay supplier and on his last delivery, he left her a note saying he was not going to be able to supply her any longer and she would have to find a new source for hay. This on one of the worst years we had seen for hay supply in a long time. She was skimping on feed because she didn't know where she was going to get the next load.

She had meds that were not given as prescribed, which included a loading dose that needed to be redone because they totally botched it which cost me $$$. I was paying double what I was at my old barn to have her closer to home but was receiving horrible care.

I left without 30 days and told the barn owner that should she desire to pursue it, I'd be happy to take my information to court and have the lack of care be documented in public record. The way I saw it, she breached the contract first for now providing care as outlined in the contract and as agreed upon.

Comment

Lots of good advice here. If it were me, I'd move my horse immediately (as soon as you can find someplace better.) I would both read any future contracts carefully AND I would get references for the barn from existing or past customers.

BUT you probably should pay your 30 days. But move as soon as you can, if things are as sloppy at the barn as you say.

It is no one's job but yours to understand the contracts you sign before you sign them, and to obtain a sense of whether a barn is going to honor its obligations before you sign a boarding contract. And you often have to insist on getting a signed copy of the boarding contract. Not like most barns have a copy machine in them. ;-)

I don't know really how often any barn is going to sue for not giving 30 days notice for departure, if there are no other outstanding obligations. Most places I know would rather have you gone if you are that unhappy. But you don't want to have a reputation as a flake, regardless of how valid your reasons.

And for now, if the barn's so close, get over there and make sure your horse has water, hay, & supps. And note all deficiencies in a written log for your own reference, in case things go to hell in this situation.
                    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
                    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

Move now, work out the rest once your horse and your stuff aren't there anymore.
                      You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

The beauty of horse contracts is that they can be worded to include EVERYTHING you want and the BO agrees to. However, if you didn't put these things into the contract, you don't have any hope of using that for leverage. Most barns have a 30 days notice OR payment of one month's board clause, which is done to give them an opportunity to fill the stall on your departure. However, you may leave at anytime after that payment. If you are in a hurry, then pay the board and leave. Be sure you aren't on the hook for any other fees/charges.
                        Laurie

Comment

Working...
                        X