• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse that head shakes - would you buy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse that head shakes - would you buy?

Hunter/Jumper - 7 years old, no show record to speak of, but very lovely horse. Owner thinks head shaking will have no effect on sale or sale price.

What do you think?

Originally posted by vlong View Post
    Hunter/Jumper - 7 years old, no show record to speak of, but very lovely horse. Owner thinks head shaking will have no effect on sale or sale price.

What do you think?
    Headshaking can be so mild it's barely noticeable or so severe the horse has to be retired from riding. It can be managed to some degree, sometimes. Or not.

For a hunter, it's a risk even if mild, since one episode in the ring can drop you out of the ribbons. For a jumper, not as much of an issue.

I'd expect it to affect price. I might consider a headshaker who is a proven showhorse and schoolmaster type as a learning/step-up horse where ribbons are less important, but I'd pass on an unproven prospect personally.

Comment

Would not take a headshaker for free let alone buy. They are a life long hassle at best and a heart breaking euthanasia at worst.
      McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

If sold with full disclosure it will certainly affect the price. If not, and the headshaking is seasonal they may get away with not telling, getting the price they ask for and having someone very unhappy with them later...

Comment

• Original Poster

Horse has seasonal (photogenic) head shaking - this is the second year with this issue. Seems to be worse than last year, but is more under control on dex.

Head shaking not mentioned in sale ad, but she's planning on disclosing to potential buyers.

Comment

Nononononono. Have one that I can manage, but would not knowingly step into that scenario again. Maybe if she pays you lots of money to take it....??? and you have no aspirations at all...

Comment

One of my OTTBs is a headshaker. Vet is thinking he is the Trigeminal Headshaker. Started 1 1/2 years after I brought him home. Apparently it manifests between 7-9 years old. It started when he turned 9. He was always touchy about his neck and face but the shaking began later. And it is pretty bad. VERY difficult to ride him since the head flipping will not stop. So we put him on Cyrpoheptadine and like magic, headshaking was minimal. I took him off after a month, just to see and WOW, headshaking was 10x worse and it only took 2 days of no drug.
              Problem with the drug is that it is not legal for shows. I also learned that if he got the drug in his feed, it had some effect. If I squirt into his mouth, amazing results. Zero headshaking for 30-36 hours. Thus every AM I head out with my little syringe of water and cypro, and a dob of honey on the tip. He loves it. Takes it so willingly.

Right now I have reduced his cypro dose to see how he does. It is a tad pricey at $65 a month but I also want to see if I can show him at some point so seeing if he can be slowly taken off, when does the headshaking begin again and see if a show can be in his future. Since the shaking did start last year around September when I got a load of hay from a different supplier, I still have hopes that it is allergies or anything but a nerve issue. Thus I will keep trying to find a better solution than cypro. We ruled out photic since he kept shaking during the winter.

Thus if you have your heart set on showing, a headshaker with the trigeminal nerve issue may not be the best choice. IF you are fine with scheduling shows around symptoms, may work but the seller should reduce the price if the horse is a known headshaker.

IF a photic headshaker, I hear those guys are more manageable and do not need the forbidden drug thus showing is more of an option.
              www.ottbjumpers.weebly.com

Comment

My mare shakes her head somtimes but when her teeth are done she's fine.

Comment

Personally, no. Our youngster shakes his head (it's seasonal, we bought him in winter) and he's a lovely horse, don't get me wrong, but it's not worth the stress when there are so many horses out there with no medical issues. I have no doubt it will affect his showing career.

Comment

Have a friend who has a trail horse with photic headshaking. His is due to seasonal allergies -- he begins when the pollen starts and tapers off throughout the summer. he doesn't do it at all in the winter. He is quite rideable with one of the nose-nets on, impossible without it. Assuming nose-nets are legal in your showing discipline I'd test-ride with the net to see if it worked on him before making a commitment.

Comment

Having owned a head shaker in the past - and knowing how difficult and debilitating it can be - no, I would not buy a head shaker. I was able to manage him on Cyproheptadine (which is not show legal) and a hair net over his nose... but during the period where we couldn't figure out what was bothering him... it was really very heartbreaking for me.

Ultimately, I had NO trouble selling him (found a new home for him within a week). I priced him a little lower than I would have otherwise, but the girl who bought him was not bothered at all about the head shaking, and I gave her full disclosure. Did not ask about it, and it has not been an issue for her.

Comment

I would never knowingly take a head shaker...not even for free.

Comment

I wouldn't take a head shaker for free.

Comment

My heart horse, a homebred nine year old, started headshaking last year. While he has a home for life with me I would never knowingly buy another. Even without the issue of never knowing if/when you can show, for me it's heartbreaking to watch him when he's having tics. His seems allergy-related so far but we're still figuring out his triggers and what works for him. Again, I would never, ever go into it on purpose.
                            It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Comment

Another vote for wouldn't take one for free. Boarded at a barn with a headshaker once... he would drag his face on the paved driveway to try and get some relief. He was eventually put down.
                              Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

Nope...pass on this one.
                                Ride like you mean it.

Comment

Add me to the "I wouldn't take one if they gave it to me" camp. My sister once owned a horse that developed headshaking. None of the standard remedies had much, if any, effect and he was completely unrideable in the spring and summer. Plus, it was just heartbreaking to watch him.
                                  "Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything
                                  that's even remotely true."

Homer Simpson

Comment

No way.

Comment

Valegro, the Olympic gold medal winner in dressage is reported to be a head shaker. He is for sale, but obviously he has an extensive show record.

Comment

Another vote for no, not even if you paid me. Too heartbreaking.

Comment

Working...
                                        X