• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Would you have said something?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you have said something?

Went out to see my horse after work the other day... The vet was on his way out to see a couple of horses (not mine). Owners of these horses were there and had brought their horses in from turnout. I was a few stalls down getting my equipment ready before catching my horse to ride.

One of the horses obviously didn't like being in her stall when her buddies were still out, so she was pacing the stall, calling, etc. Owner went into her stall and put on her halter and a leadrope with the chain over her nose. Stood there with her for a few minutes trying to calm her down. Horse was fidgeting and calling.

Owner apparently got tired of standing there with her horse. Proceeds to tie the leadrop with about 8 inches of slack directly to the stall bar. Leaves the stall. Leaves the aisle. Sits on the mouting block in the parking lot. Horse swinging her butt back and forth, calling, jerking against the chain.

Nothing tragic happened. Owner came back a few minutes later with the vet in tow. BUT... that was ridiculous.

I didn't say anything. I stayed in eyeshot of the mare until the owner came back in case she panicked, but I didn't say anything. Part of me thinks I should have, but part of me thinks I did the right thing by just sticking around.

What would you do in a similar situation? What HAVE you done??

You cannot win in that situation. If you speak up, the owner gets mad because it's her horse and she can tie it up as she wants to. If you don't speak up and the horse gets injured, you feel guilty.

I just keep my mouth shut if the owner is there and I see her do something that could hurt her horse. I've called owners when I saw their horses is bad situations at barns, and all say "don't do anything, I'll be there in a few hours." People are strange.

I tell people if they see my horses in any situation that I wouldn't want them in, to please do something. People know that I am over protective of my horses, so I never complain if someone brings mine in or turns them out or hoses them off. Others want to "teach the horse a lesson" so they tend to punish the horse for not being perfect.

Comment

I wouldn't have done anything. I mind my own business and stay out of / do not create any barn drama.

If something is getting dangerous I ask "Can I give you a hand?" or "would you like some help?" - and if they do not take me up on my offer - I go back to minding my own.
      APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

Yep, I would have said something and it wouldn't have been something nice. I also would have untied the horse. I have zero tolerance for stupid.
        "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

If the vet didn't say anything to her upon seeing this, I think you would have had a pretty uphill battle.

Comment

I learned long ago to keep my mouth shut unless I'm responsible for that particular horse's care.

My horses get handled the way I want them to be handled. Everyone else's, well, to put it bluntly - not my problem.

You can't save the world, and you certainly can't save stupid people from themselves. You'll just exhaust yourself trying.
            "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
            -George Morris

Comment

Depending on my relationship with the owners, I might have said something.

If they were nice, not know-it-all's and been receptive to advice in the past, I would have said something.

Barring that, while anything I said would possibly be a catharsis for me, it would have done the horse no good whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Beam Me Up View Post
                If the vet didn't say anything to her upon seeing this, I think you would have had a pretty uphill battle.
                My thought too.

Comment

Originally posted by tabula rashah View Post
                  Yep, I would have said something and it wouldn't have been something nice. I also would have untied the horse. I have zero tolerance for stupid.
                  And in reply I would have said something equally nasty! I have zero tolerance for busy bodies/know-it-alls, most of whom I've found are also stupid.
                  Visit my Spoonflower shop

Comment

I would hope that I would say 'hey Linda, sorry, but did you mean to tie her with the chain on her nose?'
                    and see where it went.

I horse camped this weekend and one lady could NOT ride her horse out of camp. He kept balking, she kept gigging, he started running backwards and starting to rear. Her friend was already down on the trail...but the yellow horse would not leave his paint horse buddy. They just kept getting closer to running backwards into my awning, my tethered dog, my campsite.

I offered a crop. She declined and just kept doing the same thing. again, getting closer and closer as he got more and more in charge of their destiny. I didn't ask if she wanted help- I just took a hold of the left rein and directed him down the path, waving at his flank to egg him forward. He finally went. She never said a word to me- but she got out of my campsite and for the rest of the weekend....rode out with said paint ahead of her horse's nose. So if my safety is at risk- I intervene. otherwise, I hope I would be polite in raising the concern- but I don't guarantee it.

Comment

Originally posted by red mares View Post
                      And in reply I would have said something equally nasty! I have zero tolerance for busy bodies/know-it-alls, most of whom I've found are also stupid.
                      If knowing that you don't tie a horse with a chain over its nose makes me a know-it-all, when then, hot damn, I guess the shoe fits. But then again, it's really a non-issue because I wouldn't board with the quality of people who would do something like that.
                      "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

I would not have said anything except about tying the horse up with a chain. That will do more damage to the horse than the owner intended if the horse pulls back. But I would *asK* the owner if she was sure she wanted to tie that way rather than tell her.

Also, OP, you did the wrong thing with respect to "staying within eye shot" of the horse. Many horses will give up when they realized they don't have an audience. That may be why the owner left the aisle. Staying where you can hear the horse is a good idea. Where you can see them? You just gave the mare a reason to keep being a jerk.

Don't judge others so much. Help if you can. Accept others' right to do the best they can and to make mistakes.
                        The armchair saddler
                        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I vote in favor of selecting boarding stables and horsey human friends based on the overall treatment of the horses involved.

Eyes open. Ears open. Mouth shut. That observation of overall treatment tells you everything you need to know.

I WOULD have said something like " hey, Susie, your mare sits back she's going to really hurt herself" Or " hey let me show how how to tie her without running up a vet bill ripping half her nose off, half suffocating herself or breaking the halter and flipping" and Susie responds " I don't give a rats hinny" or " good, she deserves it"? Susie is off my friends list. The vet does not say " Hey, Sue, that's not a real good idea unless you want to give me more work"? Might rethink my choice of vet.

You absolutely can NOT say " hey don't do that with your own horse" or " that's wrong" because if you put them on the defensive, they will dig in to protect their decisions as "right". Human nature.

Simply offering positive suggestions or reminders, " You sure you want to do that" or " ooops, you forgot the chain was still over her nose" is about all you can offer. But that's best handled by a trainer or barn manager and has been handled by them anyplace I have chosen to keep my horse. You cannot run around telling everybody what they are doing wrong or they just get more determined to do it their way and you get deemed the barn busybody know it all.

You CAN choose to be in an environment where horses are treated properly, proper handling is encouraged by the barn and pick your horsey friends that treat horses properly
                          When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

In that case, nope, wouldn't have said anything. She was there, she is the owner, it's her horse.

If a barn worker had done it without the owner knowing/approving of it, then I would have spoken up.
                            <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

The only thing wrong I see with keeping the horse in view, is that if she did blow-up, and you raced over, you would have gotten hurt.

The vet undoubtedly had no idea how long the horse was left that way. And then too, all vets aren't horsemen.
                              Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

I would mention it to the barn owner and walk away from it after that. They can choose whether or not to advise the owner. If it were my barn, I would have marched right outside and told the owner to tie up her horse properly or find another place to board. That is a liability.
                                “Pray, hope, and don't worry.”

St. Padre Pio

Comment

No, I would have stayed out of it. Only exceptions would be if 1) this was a new-to-horses friend who seeks my input; 2) this was a friend who I had a good enough relationship with to know my comment (which I would still word along the lines of, "Did you mean to leave the chain on?") would be received without getting huffy. Defensive ears cannot hear.

I usually try to stay out of this sort of thing, but recently, there was a situation where I just couldn't NOT. One of the private backyard boarders up the road from my barn had a serious head injury a few months ago (horse related, sadly, but she escaped with little apparently permanent damage--just a long recovery). Her completely non-horsey friends and family were taking care of her four horses. I was surprised to see them taking the horses out for turn out one afternoon when I came to feed, and it was horrifying watching these people who'd never led a horse before get dragged around with the lead ropes wrapped around their hands and arms. The mare with strongest attitude (nice horse, just not a beginner's horse on the ground or in the saddle) was literally dragging this big burly guy around in circles. I asked if he needed help; he refused.

Later, though, when I saw them coming back out with two more horses as I was walking out to my truck, I actually yelped and bolted forward to help the woman who was about to get her arm broken when the pony made a sharp turn for some grass, yanking her lead-rope-wrapped arm. This time, I said, "Please, let me help you." She was actually relieved and eager for the help. I grabbed the lead rope and modeled to her how to properly hold it, and also demonstrated how to lead the horse safely. While I was holding him, the pony made a grab for some grass, but when I corrected him with a solid yank, he was adorable--"OMG! Yes ma'am, sorry ma'am, won't do it again ma'am!" Seriously, when he realized I wasn't going to allow it, he completely changed demeanor. (My pony, however, would continue to check just to make sure I really meant it.)

Thankfully, these people were more than appreciative for the help. I just couldn't watch someone get their arm ripped off or get run over. Honestly, there was a bit of a selfish reason too--while the barn areas are all private properties, the arenas are public (owned by the city). If one of these horses got loose and got to the street, or if the newbie handlers were severely injured, it could open up a very big, nasty can of worms that could risk the facility itself.
                                  SA Ferrana Moniet 1988-2011
                                  CP Trilogy 2002-2015
                                  My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

Comment

I remember getting chewed out by an owner once because her friend came to the barn to ride her horse for her and was yanking on the horses head because she tried to put the bridle on behind the ears and pulling the bit over the nose to get it in the horse's mouth. The mare was named Kelly (I still remember that) and was a saint of a Standardbred. The owner actually screamed at me the next day because I had helped her friend. Never mind that I politely asked if her friend needed help and, after a thankful "yes", showed her the proper way to put a bridle on the horse.
                                    “Pray, hope, and don't worry.”

St. Padre Pio

Comment

I would not have said anything except about tying the horse up with a chain. That will do more damage to the horse than the owner intended if the horse pulls back. But I would *asK* the owner if she was sure she wanted to tie that way rather than tell her.
                                      This. It may be that the owner was so frustrated by her behavior that she just didn't think about it when she tied her.

I've never gotten a bad response to a question like that. Not ever. Even if the initial response is not to say "OMG you're right", generally something dawns on the person and they fix it sooner rather than later.

Comment

I really don't care what people think...if I see something that could put any animal in a harmful position, my mouth opens automatically...and I will move in to correct the situation without hesitation.

Good thing I run my own stable. The barn owner has ultimate care custody and control which makes it a crime not to act to protect the animals in their care...so I have read.
                                        Good thing I have no boarders....

Comment

Working...
                                        X