• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What do I do now? I lost the love of my life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IdahoRider View Post
    I am so sorry for your loss. Be easy on yourself, and allow yourself to grieve. You have had a big loss.
    I second this. Allow yourself to feel sad. Grieving is a process....and sometimes a long one. You can't rush it. Perhaps when you feel ready you could volunteer at a local horse rescue. I have always felt that working to help animals in need is a great way to heal from loss.

Comment

I am so very sorry for your loss. I lost my heart horse in 2000 when I was 53. He excelled in carriage driving, obstacles and driven dressage were his specialties. He was a home bred, I trained him myself and he lived at home with me. He was only 16.

Impossible to describe the grief I felt then and still do. Today, I'm 66 and ride a sweet heart, western pleasure, due to health and agility problems. Life does go on...after a while. It's so hard, though.

Many hugs and prayers for you.
      Ride like you mean it.

Comment

First, I am so sorry for your loss...it is so hard. Second, you will be able to move on, but it will take time. I lost a once in a lifetime mare very unexpectedly and traumatically, but after a bit, I was able to be around other horses and eventually find another horse for me..allow yourself to grieve and as much time as you need. Hugs to you.l

Comment

I had the horse owners nightmare of getting that early morning call that my horse had broken his leg in the field over night and they found him in the morning. Time, lots and lots of it. That is the only cure. And good friends that will listen to you when you want to talk and not push if you don't. It was 2 years before I bought another horse and I still get that knot in my stomach when I get a phone call from the barn owner. He has learned that the first thing he needs to say when I answer is "everything is ok" before anything else and it's been 6 years now.

Comment

I'm so sorry. You put one foot in front of the other, and somehow, one day, you'll find yourself in a place where you're "okay." It will hurt for a long time, but then one day, it won't hurt as much. I'm so sorry for your loss.
            Dapplebay - home of original equestrian clothing and accessories.

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss. Tuck that piece of forelock away somewhere safe. When you are ready to bring it out, you'll cry. One day, you'll be able to touch that piece of forelock and smile, remembering all the good times you shared with him. What was his name, your lovely horse?
              "Anti-intellect and marketing, pretty, pretty, who needs talent
              Crying eyes, we're so outnumbered, fight for the right to remain silent" Buck 65

Comment

Originally posted by 2horseowner View Post
                I lost my horse last night during colic surgery. I am beyond devastated, and I feel so empty. I don't think I will ever get over the look on the surgeon's face when she came out of the o.r. to tell me. I will be 50 in September, and this horse was so sweet and trustworthy. I felt he and I could do some lower level eventing successfully. I trusted him so much. Please tell me how those of you who lost horses unexpectantly carry on. I am having such a hard time knowing I will not see his face looking for me when I walk into the barn ever again.
                Sorry, I couldn't read all the other posts, I was afraid of reading more sad stories and I already have some tears in my eyes.

I lost the love of my life over 30 years ago and STILL think of him almost daily. Of all the horses I've bought and sold and whatnot with, not one horse held a candle to him. An appy gelding who taught me to be a rider. We did everything, from steer roping to dressage (and placing in low level shows) to WP to lessons to trail to younameit. Every horse has been put up against him and fallen short.

But, life goes on, you have your memories of good times and treasure that. I'm not going to say it gets better or worse, it's still almost as bad for me as when I had him put down for cancer. He was THAT good.

So, the best I can say is soldier on, you have to. Take your time and look at horses when you feel up to it. I had other horses to take care of and so was never really out of the game. You love horses, sounds like, and though the next one(s) won't be him, they'll have their own special attributes, good or bad, and one will single you out and you can have a special something with him/her. Won't be the same but you have to move on at your pace.

Sorry for your loss.
                GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

Lots of hugs for you!

My Trakehner died 12 hours after I took him to Tufts . . . it took them three months to figure out he had a blood clot in his poll.

I cried for many days and felt terribly guilty until I learned what had caused his death and the vet told me there was nothing I could have done.

Unfortunately, the only cure is time. I already had a second horse but if I hadn't I don't know if I could have gone out and bought one because it was so painful.

The vet put aside hair from his tail but to be honest I still haven't been able to open the box. It's been three and a Eventually I'd like to have a bracelet made from it.

Give yourself time to grieve and try to remember the good times.
                  Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                  EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Thoughts and prayers and (hugs)) & tears for you ~

Thoughts and prayers and ((hugs)) & tears for you ~

I, too will never forget the look on the assistant's face when they opened him up

I knew she would be coming my direction ``` she was with tears in her eyes

I, too have walked out of the clinic with only his halter and lead

I am so sorry you are feeling 'this' complete emptiness

I know your healing will be slow but I know you will heal as he is watching over you and waiting until you two meet again

Until then ``` one day at a time and slowly the memories will be locked in your heart and help your heart to heal

Be proud of your love for your grand horse ~ you'll carry it always

RIP ~ beloved gentleman knowing you will always be loved and remembered ~

again ((hugs))
                    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

Jingles for you heart.

Time will heal.
                      www.facebook.com/doggonegoodgoodies
                      http://doggonebakedgoods.com/

Comment

It hurts.
                        A lot.
                        But eventually, as someone once told me, you will stop remembering the horse that died, and remember the horse that lived.
                        "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

• Original Poster

Again the kind words from everyone makes me cry harder. Chase was my once in a life time horse. I am trying to focus on not what I lost, but what Chase has gained-no more pain. I am sure my heart will heal, but it will be a long time. Thank you all for being here for me. It means so much.

Comment

You will have a PM shortly. Unfortunately far too many of us have endured the pain you are going through. Time does heal...but there is so much to work through in the mean time. My heart and thoughts are with you....hugs!!!!

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my heart horse of 20 years unexpectedly in December. I know how you feel. It has taken a lot of time to talk about him without crying, but now we talk about the rotten stuff he used to do. I have other horses, one of which I am very close to as well. I felt I had to be out in the barn the next day to be with them, and I kept moving forward. The empty stall was the worst and I had many many moments of just sitting in the barn sobbing, but it had to be done. I spent a lot of quiet time with my other horses. I felt the need to move on and take everything he taught me over the past 20 years. I recently took in a 2 year old rescue horse and decided to put him in that stall. I spent many evenings just laying on the couch staring at the tv. Take care of yourself. I understand how much you are hurting right now. In addition, people on this board were so awesome to me and it really helped.

Comment

Keep coming back here to CoTH as much as you need. There are (sadly) many of us who know your pain, have walked your path and can help guide you along when you need it.

I lost my best friend last August, and I don't know how I would have gotten through it without all of the support I found here.

Sometimes it still just overwhelms me, as I cannot believe I am still breathing without him. But I am. King worked really hard to make me happy, make me laugh and fill my life with joy. I try to remember that my happiness is his legacy -- my smiles honor him more than my tears.

Comment

No suggestions.... just jingles and hugs.

I know what it is like to lose one, only from afar, which is a different kind of hurt.

I pray for love, light and comfort for you in hopes that you find respite in the fact he is no longer suffering.

Hugs.

Comment

I am so very sorry for your loss. Please allow yourself to take the time you need to grieve.

"Do not stand at my grave and weep
                                    I am not there. I do not sleep.
                                    I am a thousand winds that blow.
                                    I am the diamond glints on snow.
                                    I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
                                    I am the gentle autumn rain.
                                    When you awaken in the morning's hush
                                    I am the swift uplifting rush
                                    Of quiet birds in circled flight.
                                    I am the soft stars that shine at night.
                                    Do not stand at my grave and cry;
                                    I am not there. I did not die."
                                    -M. E. Frye
                                    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
                                    Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

Comment

Talking about him is good therapy. Remember his special traits, the things you did together. How he just fit. Give yourself whatever time you need. Don't try to rush the process. You're still in shock. You may well feel worse before you feel better. But it WILL get better. EFT (meridian tapping) can help take the edge off so that you can function.

When you can, think about finding another. Not to replace Chase, but to have a different relationship with. Allow another to come into your life and bring you joy and wonder. It will not be the same, but it will be special in its own way.

Sending you healing energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Renn/aissance View Post
                                        I am so very sorry for your loss. Please allow yourself to take the time you need to grieve.

"Do not stand at my grave and weep
                                        I am not there. I do not sleep.
                                        I am a thousand winds that blow.
                                        I am the diamond glints on snow.
                                        I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
                                        I am the gentle autumn rain.
                                        When you awaken in the morning's hush
                                        I am the swift uplifting rush
                                        Of quiet birds in circled flight.
                                        I am the soft stars that shine at night.
                                        Do not stand at my grave and cry;
                                        I am not there. I did not die."
                                        -M. E. Frye
                                        Good one. I have heard this sung by a Native American with musical accompaniment, and it is almost impossible to hear and not cry.

One thing I did was: my first horse that died had been awarded his national championship two days after he passed; when I traveled out west to go to accept his award, I bought a Native American made (not one made in China) dreamcatcher and I put a lock of his hair, my good old horse's hair, and mementos of several other cherished pets (a baby tooth, a couple of feathers, etc) into the leather strands of the dreamcatcher. It hangs in my truck as my own personal medicine wherever I travel with the truck and trailer. Many truck drivers have their own talismans for luck or protection on the road, and this is mine.

The grave marker I chose for my old horse reads:

If tears could build a stairway
                                        And memories a lane
                                        I'd march right up to Heaven
                                        And bring you home again.
                                        America dialed 911. Donald Trump answered the phone.

Stop pumping money into colleges and start getting ready to earn money in the projected tradesman shortage of 2024. Make Trades Great Again!

Comment

As others have said, talk of him often, even if it's just you alone in your car. The more you tell the story the more you speak of him, the easier it will be to get through the day. Decide if you're the kind of person who gets through things with another horse right away, or whether you need to take a break. Do not think of replacing him (you never will) but you CAN find another equine friend who takes a different horse size piece of your heart.
                                          ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
                                          Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Comment

Working...
                                          X