• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Buying saddles via online BBs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying saddles via online BBs

Has anyone been burned? Im getting ready to buy one thats not cheap (to me anyway). Ebay at least has some protection but Im one my own with this one.

I hope a horse person would be nice enough to send the saddle...
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I bought my saddle off of tacktrader.com.

The biggest issue for me was wanting to make sure something fit. So I tested lots of different models and then when I found one that fit great I looked online.

I would be hesitant to buy a saddle I'd never tried before otherwise.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

I've bought two online without problems. I knew the size I wanted, and they had trees that were adjustable (Passier wooden trees, not easy-adjust like Wintecs).

The first was from a tack shop in California in 2003 - I found the saddle online then emailed the store - they were nice & helpful and said I could return the saddle if it didn't fit. That was across the border to Canada too!

The second was on ebay 2007 - I knew the exact model and size I wanted, but it took over a year to find it - so was really only taking a chance on the tree being sound. I used a sniping program to make sure I got it! The (private) seller had a good feedback rating and was nice and prompt. I got it shipped to a friend in the US who was then coming through the border and brought it to me.

Both were about $650 US - well worth it for Passier saddles that will likely last me for 20+ years.
      Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Comment

Did it once from a private seller. Worked out nicely all 'round.

Bought a different one from usedsaddles.com. Traded in the one I bought from the private seller. The trade price was fair and the saddle purchased was even better than the description (it was virtually "new in the box").

So we're two for two.

That said, there is clearly a risk in such transactions. A lot depends on the "vibes" you get from the e-mails or in any phone conversations.

Guilherme's First Rule of Hippie Common Sense is "If it feels good, do it; if it doesn't feel good, don't do it." So far the rule has worked for me.

G.
        Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

I'd be so nervous without that paypal buyer protection! Good luck!

Comment

If you're really worried, you can use an escrow service such as escrow.com Of course the seller would have to agree, but really it is protection for both of you so that no one has to be worried about getting ripped off.

If the sale is through a BB similar to this one, you may want to read the user's posts to get a feel for them, and also see if they have had other sales transactions with other BB users who could provide feedback.
            Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrey View Post
              I'd be so nervous without that paypal buyer protection! Good luck!
              Me too.

Luckily MOST people selling via online BB's do use PayPal (probably b/c they are just as afraid of being burned...I def was when I sold my saddle online). You could always tell the seller you are most comfortable going through PayPal and see if they agree (some shy away due to the commission taken). I've never had to use the buyer protection but it does seem they have a good one:
              https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...BPInfo-outside

Comment

Use Paypal, or a USPS Postal Money order.
                I have used a bartering board, which up until recently has been very good.
                I had good experiences with most of the people, and have traded saddles with a very nice woman. She had what I wanted, I had what she wanted. Very nice trade.

I
                to err is human, to whinny, Equine.
                Ebay-aholic! Carolina clique, BITS AND BARTER BOARD BUDDY
                EYEGLASSES MISSIONS FOR ARMENIA-send me your old glasses!

Comment

• Original Poster

Use paypal--check!

It sounds like it might work. Now if we can agree on details...
                  “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDeere View Post

I hope a horse person would be nice enough to send the saddle...
                    Let me tell you about how God (and horse people!) take care of fools!

A few years ago, when I got back into riding after a long hiatus, I was told by my barnmates that my anchient Prix de Saute (and back-up Prix de Nations) just wouldn't do (BTW, I am now smarter than that and riding happily in my PdS).

So armed with a VERY small budget and a Dover catalogue (read: no Anteres, Butets, County, etc...even on my radar) I decided on a very nice Pessoa Eq on Ebay. The woman had EXCELLENT feedback on mostly horsey items.

Since Pessoa's were going like hotcakes at that time on Ebay (SOMEBODY must like them, even though they are the red-headed stepchild of H/J's) I couldn't figure out why no one was bidding against me.

I didn't even NOTICE until the auction was over that she didn't take paypal. No wonder no one else was bidding- who wants to risk $$ like that?

She WAS an honest seller; but, since she waited until my cashier's check cleared until she shipped, I sweated bullets for about 5 weeks until my saddle arrived. And the saddle was beautiful, btw, no complaints about Pessoas from me.

BUT I would NEVER do that again. Not for that kind of money. No way.

You are pretty much covered with paypal, or even if you pay by credit card. But don't spend more cash than you can afford to lose.
                    Rhythm the perfect OTTB;Spock the will-be perfect OTTB;Mia the Arab/appendix COTH giveaway

Comment

I think it's amazing that people think they save money by not taking paypal. Especially for larger items, people don't bid if you don't take paypal!

Comment

I've sold on Bits and Barter with no problem--the buyer and I were both very happy with the transaction. I've always bought two saddles online--one on ebay, one on tacktrader. Both went well. The woman I bought from on tacktrader was friendly and gave me lots of information and pictures. Now, I did pay by personal check (didn't want to pay the additional $$ in paypal fees), and was VERY nervous until the saddle arrived safe and sound, so I'd be hesitant about paying with any method that doesn't give you some kind of protection.
                        Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
                        Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
                        VW sucks.

Comment

Use a CREDIT CARD through PayPal. PP offers little protection, but your CC company will back you up if the transaction goes bad.

Comment

I've probably done a dozen saddle transactions, maybe half on eBay the rest on BBs, and all have worked out well. If a seller won't take Paypal (and the Paypal fees can be a good chunk, so I understand it) I have offered to pay the Paypal fees. No refusals yet, and I've gotten some good deals, because as others have pointed out, folks tend not to bid if Paypal isn't an option.

Comment

I should add that for BB transactions where I was the seller I've directed people to my eBay feedback which has made them feel better (400 positives/100%).

Comment

Originally posted by flypony74 View Post
                                Use a CREDIT CARD through PayPal. PP offers little protection, but your CC company will back you up if the transaction goes bad.
                                Check the back of your card. Most CC companies will back you up ONLY if the purchase was made less than 100 miles from your home/billing address.

I've sold two saddles and bought one online. All great transactions. The first was my old Beval Devon in college through equine.com. The buyer and I negoiated through email and then she sent a MO and I waited to ship it until I got it. The second was my Beval Stanford last year on ebay. Again, quick and easy transaction. The purchaser paid through paypal and yes, I lost a bit of money in the fees but I felt much better about it and since she paid asap, I shipped the saddle out two days later (and refunded the difference in the shipping costs to her). I did list it as no returns and the girl who bought it knew exactly what she was looking for. Then I bought my Beval Natural on tacktrader.com. It was my 3rd Beval saddle so I knew what I wanted. I paid through paypal, no issues, saddle came in perfect shape.
                                "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

https://falllinefarmblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Fresh View Post
                                  Check the back of your card. Most CC companies will back you up ONLY if the purchase was made less than 100 miles from your home/billing address.
                                  I think this depends on the state you live in.

Comment

I bought a saddle off of Tacktrader.com. I had a lot of back and forth e-mails with the seller. She was responding from her work e-mail and so was I.(both very well know financial institutions)--and I felt fine with the transaction.

I sent a cashier's check and she sent the saddle a few days after receiving the check. Very well wrapped and boxed!

I guess a lot of the transaction is just the gut feel you get with your back & forth correspondence.

Comment

I have purchased a saddle from a BB. It is a really nice Bona Allen reining saddle that I got off Trentriders. We sent several e-mails and agreed on a price. I sent a money order, so I had her address and she had a trusted form of payment. The saddle came quickly and it was even better than I expected. It's like new, the hand tooling is far nicer than the pictures and it is now my favourite western saddle.
                                      The greatest gift you can ever give is taking their pain away and making it your own. Wear that pain like a tribute to the love you shared. Laurierace

Comment

I have bought/sold about a dozen saddles on eBay and a few from private sellers on bulletin boards. So far, no problems.

I prefer to pay via Paypal using my Credit card, but I'll admit to having sent a few checks or money orders and hoping for the best. Personally, I think that a seller should bite the bullet and accept Paypal if that's what makes the buyer more comfortable. The people I've bought from have always been honest but I also ask a lot of questions up front and don't buy unless I feel comfortable with the answers.

Here's an article that I wrote on Avoiding EBay Saddle Scams. Maybe that will help.

Right now, the saddle market is s l o w! I have a nearly new saddle that I've been trying to sell (to pay off my vet bills) and have listed it twice on eBay with no takers. I'm now trying the free bulletin boards like bits & barters to see if I can't get it to move. It's especially frustrating because I've always thought I was good at selling saddles.

So, if you're actually in the market to buy, you're sitting in the cat bird's seat!
                                        Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                                        EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Working...
                                        X