• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

My horse has been stolen. Fortune, 16.3 bay HolX SW VA

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    I'm late, and have not read everything.

Has anyone called Pastel at his 540-890-3389 phone #?
    Offer to buy back the horse if necessary. You can always sue or have the woman who gave horse to him arrested later.

Can anyone drive to Patsel's farm in Goodview and see if the horse is there? If he is on the road to slaughter with Pastel, maybe you can get his cell # from someone and then hunt down patsel and pay for the horse. Get the horse back first, then worry about the money later. Address: 1872 Turner Branch Road, Goodview.

Can someone in VA do the footwork and help out the OP if she is unable to do anything and is 5 hours away?

Call the Roanoke TV stations NOW. This is a story that they will put on TV.

I'm confused. Was the woman who had Patsel move OP's horse and her own horses selling them off to Patsel or was he moving them for her? Are horses on his farm or heading to auction or slaughter? someone needs to drive around and check, and I'm no longer living in VA. Oh and does the woman who had Patsel move the horses have another place where she could put this horse and her horses? Her family and friends? Do they have a pasture where horses could be stashed. Or did she get mad and decide to just kill of her own horses as well?
    I tried the number just now, in hopes to get at least a location and offer some cash. No answer but I left a voicemail saying that I was looking to buy a few horses and came across his number. My guess is that "R" paid Patsel to transport the horse and I'm hoping that he'll call me back since I offered cash if I found what I wanted. If he also transports are we 100% sure that the horse is going to slaughter and not to a different location, just so that "R" can screw with the OP?

I agree 100% with CC's questions... where did "R"s other horses go and can somebody in that area check out the the area?

Usually once a phone number is posted, I would say for not everybody to call, but perhaps some pressure will eventually get this guy to sing about what happened. There is a ton of media going around right now about this gelding, I'm just off too post on my blog about him too, so the people involved have got to be sweating. Unless they live in the sticks and have NO media access at all... My guess is that he doesn't want a felony, which is what he'll get for getting mixed up with this "R" person.

Comment

• I wish you well....She owned him for a day..but had him while she owned him with you for a week. I can see why the police did not want to get involved.
      The Elephant in the room

Comment

• OK so someone needs to look for the horse at New Holland. And someone needs to check out the farm owned by the KB. Too far for me to do it, I'm about 500 miles away. (Used to live in Staunton.)

There are Cothers who go to New Holland. Maybe add that to thread title? And as much as some of you don't like Christy and AC4H and the brokers, someone should ask them for help. One kill buyer could call this guy who took OP's horse and find out where he is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Angela Freda View Post
          Better yet fax them a pic, descript., and the info that the horse is stolen and also any meds he has had that would make him ineligible for slaughter.
          a reward might help.
          I would also go to the media and as much as it might suck, can you play your 'I have cancer' card? It sucks but sympathy does help... and if ever there was a time to use, maybe now is it?
          ^^^ YES, this.
          America dialed 911. Donald Trump answered the phone.

Stop pumping money into colleges and start getting ready to earn money in the projected tradesman shortage of 2024. Make Trades Great Again!

Comment

• Originally posted by chestnutmarebeware View Post
            I made up a quick flyer and gave it to the wonderful folks at Kingsport Livestock Auction at lunchtime today. They'll make sure everyone who comes through sees it. They tell me there's no other auctions for horses until you get to Knoxville, so that's good news. There was a big horse sale there yesterday, though.
            Shipshewana, IN runs a horse sale every Friday. You may want to contact them as well.

Stop pumping money into colleges and start getting ready to earn money in the projected tradesman shortage of 2024. Make Trades Great Again!

Comment

• No matter what his involvement, you may want to approach "P" as if he is the unwitting accomplice. Remember how many, 'I'm trying to move my horse(s) to a new place, but the old BO is threatening to padlock/sell/etc. my horses unless I pay back board/unproven damages to barn/etc.' threads? "R" may have said something similar to "P", making you the Bad Barn Owner in her ficticious story.

If you say, "P", "I have proof that I own this horse, but "R" is trying to pass him off that she owns him to you. I have reported him to ALL the police organizations as stolen, have contacted numerous auction sites to watch out for my "stolen" horse, have him splashed all over facebook and reported as stolen, etc., etc. etc."

"I would hate for you, "P", to become involved in this felony action against your better judgment and knowledge. I am willing to pay a SUBSTANTIAL REWARD for the return of MY HORSE." (Saying you are willing to "buy him back" sounds like you never owned him in the first place.) Reiterate that you have current and all the documentation that you need to prove that you own the horse."

Good luck.
              Last edited by RHdobes563; May. 30, 2013, 09:32 PM. Reason: clarification and error correction
              "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Comment

• Yes, I'm with Superminion and RHDobes on this. Proceed with care and don't offend anyone. You just want to buy a nice horse with the usual crappy warmblood hooves. I know this is a serious incident, but when I read about his hooves, I knew he was a warmblood.

Superminion, I'm in to help you if you can buy the horse.

Comment

• Originally posted by RubyTuesday View Post
                  Shipshewana, IN runs a horse sale every Friday. You may want to contact them as well.
                  Sugarcreek is closer. According to OH auction stats 141 were sold there last week or so with highest bid @ $1000 & low bid $250.
                  "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

Comment

• Originally posted by equinelaundry View Post
                    Sugarcreek is closer. According to OH auction stats 141 were sold there last week or so with highest bid @ $1000 & low bid $250.
                    Contacting both then would be a good idea. I once bought a horse that was sold in Elizabethtown, KY on a Wednesday, sold through Shipshewana on Friday and wound up here at Grundy County on Sunday where I bought him. So this poor horse, only 1 1/2 years old, went through three sales in a week! You see how complicated this can become? Some horses stay on the sale merry-go-round for a very long time and cover thousands of miles. I would say that there should be no stone left unturned on this. You just don't know.

Comment

• I would absolutely get on the phone and talk to Patsel as an unwitting accomplice, offer a reward with no questions asked for safe return. And let him know that if he doesn't return the horse, a lawyer will be contacting him and you will sue. Let him know you have all the legal paperwork. Get the police on it NOW, at the same time, and let Patsel know.

I would also let the auction houses know you will provide a reward. And that you will sue if you find he is sold thru their auction. Hit it from all angles.

Has Net Posse come back to you with anything?

I don't want to imagine what you're going through right now! You really should just be able to focus on your health. So sorry!!
                      Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Comment

• I'd seriously seriously recommend that COTHers do not call this guy Patsel. Like someone else mentioned, we've all seen the many threads talking about hotly disputed claims between BOs and Boarders, and it's almost never a clean, cut-and-dry situation. Let the OP gather all her facts and make her case to the authorities involved. Let any contact with Patsel be from people directly involved.

Spreading the word to sale barns and auction houses is the best we can do for now. Who knows what actions a ton of suspicious calls will trigger. I say suspicious because I'm pretty sure that in this market, most low-end traders don't get calls from random out-of-towners just casually looking to see what he has for sale. Given the accounts of his character, graciously returning the horse with a sheepish "Oops Sorry!" is low on the list of probabilities.

Comment

• Jingles that your boy is found quickly. I just found out that my gelding's half brother went to slaughter after his owners decided that they didn't want a pasture pet any more. So sad

I will spread the word in whatever way I can to my horsey friends up in Canada.

Comment

• Cool Meadows, I am so sorry about your boy. You've already been given excellent advice, but I will add the Equine Rescue Network. They are good people and are a presence at the auctions and they may be able to keep a lookout.
                            I second the great advice you've been given about publicity. The media is powerful and you can find a better attitude from the authorities if the media is involved. Make sure you have your proof of ownership in order and photos. Use social media to your advantage and get the word out.
                            I free leased a pony to a woman from Wilbraham, MA, many years ago. She seemed ideal. I did everything you're supposed to do: farm visit, checked references, stayed in touch every month and still, my dear Merlin disappeared. The auction house at Agawam was wonderful and called me on two occasions when a pony matching the poster photo I sent to them came in. This was long before social media and I know I would have found out what happened to him if I had such a great tool at my disposal. I had to rely on phone calls, letters, calls to the newspapers and posters sent to every vet, feed store and tack store in that area. I got some leads, but never a straight answer and I still feel sick in my stomach when I think about him and how that woman fooled me. There are some very evil people in the horse world, and I hope you will be the one who defies the odds and gets your beloved horse back.
                            Jingles for your horse, and for your cancer recovery, too. Please keep us up to date on any news.

Comment

• I posted this on New England Equine.

http://discus.equinesite.com/discus/...tml?1369962718
                              I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

• Shared on FB as well. Hope you get your boy back!
                                But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Comment

• Original Poster

I will get the police involved as soon as I physically can. I wanted to get home tonight after appointments but it would already have been too late for me to get to the magistrate in my county so I'm leaving in the morning. I am physically pretty worn out. Ronnie and Rachel knew I was out of town for radiation and knew I wasn't supposed to be home till next week.

The police are telling me that they will pursue charges if I show them proof, in person, that I own the horse. I can do that. I just need to get home to do it and I can't do that till morning.

I'm scared it may be too late. I've been getting really depressing stories from locals. Ronnie not only ships direct to slaughter, but he apparently sells directly to zoos also. I don't even know what to say about those two anymore. I'll get them criminally charged, but it may not help Fortune anyway.
                                  Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Comment

• Shared on our FB pages. Wish we could be of more help. COTHers who are in the know on this sort of stuff are mobilized. Godspeed your boy is home soon!!

Comment

• Original Poster

Good news is that I just got a message that R is stating the horse is alive. She's also stating that she owns him. Well, the police said today that as soon as they see me in person and I show them my bill of sale and paperwork, they'll think different and go charge her. People's help with all of this has somewhat restored my faith in humanity but man, she and Ronnie are low. At least Fortune hasn't been fed to the lions yet...
                                      Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Comment

• ((Hugs)) I can't imagine having to go through this.
                                        If we can't be there in person - we're with you in spirit.

Originally posted by CoolMeadows View Post
                                        Good news is that I just got a message that R is stating the horse is alive. She's also stating that she owns him. Well, the police said today that as soon as they see me in person and I show them my bill of sale and paperwork, they'll think different and go charge her. People's help with all of this has somewhat restored my faith in humanity but man, she and Ronnie are low. At least Fortune hasn't been fed to the lions yet...
                                        The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                                        H. Cate

Comment

• I got misty eyed when I read what happened. Please keep everyone updated on your health and your horse. I am in law enforcement and have seen it all unitl I read how really low people will go to make a buck. I am truly blown away.

Comment

Working...
                                          X