• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

HSUS and IRS's Lois G. Lerner.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    No Bluey, that is NOT what is being discussed now....just HSUS and their supposed favoritism by the IRS. What I'm saying, is that it's fairly likely that no one got favoritism, that the IRS is unable (due to budget and staffing constraints) or unwilling (for who knows what reason, perhaps to avoid a public uproar) to enforce the 501 laws.

    Picture this...IRS goes after the Catholics for interfering in politics...what do you think will happen?

    Comment


    • #42
      Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
      There have been lots of complaints about lots of 501(c)3's that never went anywhere...like AC4H...does that mean that Lois Lerner protected them all? I personally filed a complaint against AC4H and Forever Morgans. Nothing. There have been plenty of complaints about religious groups as well...nothing. I guess Lois Lerner is protecting them as well?
      Well, you have just given me a great insight into how Alex Brown's so called Barbaro devotee page was able to get away with five federal level frauds operating, plenty of evidence of criminal behavior by the 501c3s and no one did a thing. In the case of Hidden Meadows, she allowed to starve to death at least 20 horses, carasses, skeletons everywhere, there was to be a federal tax investigation and that went no where. She eventually got a very disgusting $1000 fine or something like that, the DA in the county's case, threw hundreds of pages of serious investigating, posting of pictures, first person accounts, out the window before the people arrived with it, in a rush to judgement. AC4H was promoted there for the longest time even when it became very clear that she was operating as a dealer for the slaughter yards to jack up the prices. One case at a time seems like someone incompetent just screwed up, taken together, and then add into that the amount of dollars that go annually into HSUS, plus the ideological beliefs that were flooding the world with those millions, that could explain quite a bit.

      Well, unlike Lois Lerner, I am good at math.
      "We, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit." JFK

      Comment


      • #43
        Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
        No Bluey, that is NOT what is being discussed now....just HSUS and their supposed favoritism by the IRS. What I'm saying, is that it's fairly likely that no one got favoritism, that the IRS is unable (due to budget and staffing constraints) or unwilling (for who knows what reason, perhaps to avoid a public uproar) to enforce the 501 laws.

        Picture this...IRS goes after the Catholics for interfering in politics...what do you think will happen?
        I don't think it is just incompetence, there is a deliberate thread here.
        "We, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit." JFK

        Comment


        • #44
          On May 12, 2010, Republican Missouri Rep. Blaine Luetkemeyer wrote a letter to Lerner, expressing his concerns about the tax-exempt status of the HSUS, which is listed as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit group.

          “The attached information unquestionably demonstrates that [the] HSUS invests a substantial amount of time and money in political campaigns and attempts to influence specific legislation, a clear and direct violation of section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code,” Luetkemeyer wrote in the letter.


          “I understand that you are not at liberty to comment on any potential IRS actions but do hope your agency will give thoughtful consideration of the concerns I have expressed,” Luetkemeyer wrote.

          Lerner has been unresponsive to Luetkemeyer’s office’s repeated requests for status updates on the matter over the past three years.


          “This was actually the result of concerns from constituents at the time that [the] HSUS was involved in political activity,” Luetkemeyer spokesman Paul Sloca told The Daily Caller Thursday.

          “Since then, over the past three years, we’ve been in contact with Treasury, and with Ms. Lerner, on this issue,” Sloca said. “They have told us they can’t comment on an ongoing investigation, but they haven’t been able to confirm that they’ve even launched an investigation.”

          “They won’t confirm that there is an investigation going on. They haven’t provided any substantive information,” he said.

          “Considering the current news about the IRS, this is definitely something the congressman is definitely going to follow up on,” Sloca concluded.

          By the time Luetkemeyer sent his letter to Lerner in May 2010, the IRS had already begun targeting conservative nonprofit groups for extra scrutiny, according to a report released Tuesday night by the Treasury Inspector General.

          Lerner did not respond to TheDC’s request for comment for this report.

          The Humane Society of the United States declined comment.


          Anyone who doesn't see a conflict is obviously an HSUS supporter. Anyone notice those who are NOT posting here? Guess they haven't been told how to respond yet...
          The Elephant in the room

          Comment


          • #45
            Sue Wallis' United Orgs of the Horse is a non-profit:

            https://www.popvox.com/orgs/unitedhorsemen

            Mission: United Organizations of the Horse is a mutual benefit nonprofit organized to work in the political arena on behalf of the well being of horses and horse people.

            How about Dave Duquette:

            United Horsemen
            Dave Duquette is an equine industry professional, a working cow horse trainer, who leads a nonprofit organization devoted to building a better future for the horse industry

            So how come Ms. Lerner hasn't gone after them, if she is such a HSUS supporter?
            ************************
            \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
              No Bluey, that is NOT what is being discussed now....just HSUS and their supposed favoritism by the IRS. What I'm saying, is that it's fairly likely that no one got favoritism, that the IRS is unable (due to budget and staffing constraints) or unwilling (for who knows what reason, perhaps to avoid a public uproar) to enforce the 501 laws.

              Picture this...IRS goes after the Catholics for interfering in politics...what do you think will happen?
              Well, all I am saying is that is a very, very weak excuse, as it is obvious that there was way more going on than a poor little overworked office there.

              We will just have to see what all comes out of this mess.

              I know that agriculture and animal agriculture especially has been squeaking for long now that there are government agencies really making agricultural regulations and laws that are getting impossible to work with.
              Animal agriculture seems to have been especially targeted.

              Generally, where there is smoke, somewhere there are some fires that need to be put out.
              I think the HSUS has been starting many fires out there.
              Hopefully more and more will catch onto that and remedy the damage that is doing to our way of life.

              Vegans think humans can live fine without animals and all we get from having them.
              Well, they are wrong and even if they were right, no one has the right to tell others how to live.

              If someone doesn't want to use animals, fine, don't use them.
              The rest of us, we like our animals and all the uses we make of them.

              Comment


              • #47
                That's your opinion, Bluey. Many of us think the agricultural rules don't go far enough. That's why we vote in elections.

                Comment


                • #48
                  Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                  That's your opinion, Bluey. Many of us think the agricultural rules don't go far enough. That's why we vote in elections.
                  Exactly, do just that.

                  When laws are broken to get your way, then we have a bone to pick with you and all those with agendas to railroad the rest of us, as animal rights extremist have been doing and caught at it time and again and maybe here too.

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                    Well, all I am saying is that is a very, very weak excuse, as it is obvious that there was way more going on than a poor little overworked office there.

                    We will just have to see what all comes out of this mess.

                    I know that agriculture and animal agriculture especially has been squeaking for long now that there are government agencies really making agricultural regulations and laws that are getting impossible to work with.
                    Animal agriculture seems to have been especially targeted.

                    Generally, where there is smoke, somewhere there are some fires that need to be put out.
                    I think the HSUS has been starting many fires out there.
                    Hopefully more and more will catch onto that and remedy the damage that is doing to our way of life.

                    Vegans think humans can live fine without animals and all we get from having them.
                    Well, they are wrong and even if they were right, no one has the right to tell others how to live.

                    If someone doesn't want to use animals, fine, don't use them.
                    The rest of us, we like our animals and all the uses we make of them.
                    Vegans do not eat meat - or anything with a face. No eggs either.
                    The vegans I know love their animals - that's why they're vegan.
                    The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                    H. Cate

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Originally posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
                      Vegans do not eat meat - or anything with a face. No eggs either.
                      The vegans I know love their animals - that's why they're vegan.


                      Oh, good grief. did you REALLY just post this?!

                      You know good and well what Bluey is talking about.

                      And yeah, they loff their animals...so much so that they put carnivores on vegan diets as well...or donate to a raptor sanctuary, being mortified that birds of prey eat meat...

                      And yes, the PETA vegans who love to kill pets....at a rate of roughly 90% year, as official documents show.

                      Regardless, you should be concerned when people with a private agenda hold public office with a considerable amount of power and misuse such powers to further the agenda. That is NOT what the Founding Fathers had in mind.

                      And considering that the good woman is in hot water for her political misconduct, I don't think I'd take a bet on her innocence in the HSUS related issues....She got away with it for a good long time by now...

                      Just one more cog in the wheels that needs to be removed.

                      Comment


                      • #51
                        Two common misconceptions:

                        (1) Non-profits aren't allowed to lobby. WRONG. It is perfectly legal for non-profits to lobby within certain limits. From the American Bar Association website:

                        When many people think about nonprofits and lobbying, they might think of a relationship like oil and water: they don't mix. There is a widespread perception that nonprofits cannot lobby, or if they do lobby, they are exploiting some kind of legal loophole. The fact is that nonprofits, even 501(c)(3) organizations, which are the most restricted type of nonprofits, may legally lobby. Getting involved in the legislative process and having a say in policy discussions is not just an appropriate role for nonprofits; it is vital. If nonprofits are not speaking on behalf of their often-vulnerable communities, chances are nobody else is either.
                        2. "Taking the 5th" means you're guilty. WRONG. The Fifth Amendment protects the innocent as well as the guilty. It's Criminal Law 101 that you cannot infer guilt from someone invoking the right to remain silent. (If you could, wouldn't that sort of defeat the purpose of the 5th Amendment ?)

                        Comment


                        • #52
                          I will not be the least bit surprised if Laura, Disco and jghretire are indicted for supporting, harboring and encouraging criminal acts. Their rabid support of 'lois failed to lerner' means they support crime and are anti-american!!! There can be no other possible explanation for their stance on this issue. By they way, this issue may bring down the presidency!!!

                          Comment


                          • #53
                            Originally posted by Discobold View Post
                            Two common misconceptions:

                            (1) Non-profits aren't allowed to lobby. WRONG. It is perfectly legal for non-profits to lobby within certain limits. From the American Bar Association website:



                            2. "Taking the 5th" means you're guilty. WRONG. The Fifth Amendment protects the innocent as well as the guilty. It's Criminal Law 101 that you cannot infer guilt from someone invoking the right to remain silent. (If you could, wouldn't that sort of defeat the purpose of the 5th Amendment ?)
                            NOT QUITE SO:

                            Non-profits have to abide by very specific regulations to which kind of non-profit they are and if they want to lobby in any way, be involved in politics directly, as some do, they can't use general fund donations for that.
                            They have to establish a special kind of non-profit for any lobbying, make it clear that is what any donations are for, disclose more, like who the donations come from and follow special rules.

                            Some of those are called PAC and non-profits have special donation drives just for that part of their business, something the HSUS was not doing, at least not that I am aware off, not in any mailings others and myself received, which makes anyone think they were lobbying with their general fund donations, which is a no-no.

                            Seems that when some questioned that, the IRS didn't do anything about it.
                            Maybe now we can guess why.

                            Comment


                            • #54
                              Originally posted by 7arabians View Post
                              I will not be the least bit surprised if Laura, Disco and jghretire are indicted for supporting, harboring and encouraging criminal acts. Their rabid support of 'lois failed to lerner' means they support crime and are anti-american!!! There can be no other possible explanation for their stance on this issue. By they way, this issue may bring down the presidency!!!
                              I doubt anything "will bring this presidency down".
                              When lying under oath didn't, remember Clinton, I think it is clear that nothing can touch "some" presidents, which is a bit worrisome, I agree.

                              Comment


                              • #55
                                Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                I doubt anything "will bring this presidency down".
                                When lying under oath didn't, remember Clinton, I think it is clear that nothing can touch "some" presidents, which is a bit worrisome, I agree.
                                Well, while 'the buck stops here' I have my doubts the man in the White House has heard about this lady before now. And chances are her misconduct runs much deeper.

                                Comment


                                • #56
                                  Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                                  Well, while 'the buck stops here' I have my doubts the man in the White House has heard about this lady before now. And chances are her misconduct runs much deeper.
                                  But here's the thing. She did mislead Congress about what she knew and when. But what evidence is there that she did anything else but that? I've not heard or read anything. Of course, multiple investigations are continuing and I'm assuming we'll have to wait for the results.

                                  Comment


                                  • #57
                                    Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                                    But here's the thing. She did mislead Congress about what she knew and when. But what evidence is there that she did anything else but that? I've not heard or read anything. Of course, multiple investigations are continuing and I'm assuming we'll have to wait for the results.
                                    and congress is only secondarily interested in the HSUS angle.
                                    and seriously, if you did nothing wrong, you don't plead the 5th...

                                    Comment


                                    • #58
                                      Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                                      and congress is only secondarily interested in the HSUS angle.
                                      and seriously, if you did nothing wrong, you don't plead the 5th...
                                      Don't you say.

                                      Comment


                                      • #59
                                        Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                        Don't you say.
                                        I know, I am naive. The lady is as pure as the new fallen snow....

                                        Comment


                                        • #60
                                          Are you freaking kidding me?? From the queen of correct information??
                                          Just get it right.


                                          Originally posted by Alagirl View Post


                                          Oh, good grief. did you REALLY just post this?!

                                          You know good and well what Bluey is talking about.

                                          And yeah, they loff their animals...so much so that they put carnivores on vegan diets as well...or donate to a raptor sanctuary, being mortified that birds of prey eat meat...

                                          And yes, the PETA vegans who love to kill pets....at a rate of roughly 90% year, as official documents show.

                                          Regardless, you should be concerned when people with a private agenda hold public office with a considerable amount of power and misuse such powers to further the agenda. That is NOT what the Founding Fathers had in mind.

                                          And considering that the good woman is in hot water for her political misconduct, I don't think I'd take a bet on her innocence in the HSUS related issues....She got away with it for a good long time by now...

                                          Just one more cog in the wheels that needs to be removed.
                                          The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                                          H. Cate

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X