• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Some refreshing honesty about the "suckiness" of the horse biz.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some refreshing honesty about the "suckiness" of the horse biz.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/decision-not-go-pro

Now since this person is now an 'amateur,' they are allowed to admit to these things. I suspect a current professional would be slaughtered if they dared to comment publicly on the downsides to their work. After all, 'they are paid to to ride so they should just shut up and be grateful' right? (Or so the commentary on COTH often goes....)

Anyhow, I like the article. I think we could do everyone in the industry a lot of good by having more of this open and honest feedback from everyone about their experiences.
    "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

I was talking to my coach about this the other day. I could, in no way shape or form, do the job of "Pro Rider" even if I was talented. I watch the one or two top, top talents in the area...and the amount of time they have to spend coddling, schmoozing and catering to their big-money owners is just...well, it takes skills that I don't have.

I'm an engineer with pronounced hermit tendencies. My idea of a really kick-butt weekend is a four-hour conditioning ride, by myself, on my ornery horse followed by sharing a dinner at home with my husband. Honestly. The idea of having to ride horses all day (fun) and juggle the hopes/wants/fears/whims/wishes of owners who are in the game for an EXPERIENCE...well, they'd be very disappointed with me. And I'd jump off a bridge.

I'm trying not to sound like the owners and trainers I'm talking about are bad or anything...it's not coming out right...it's not that I don't respect and value the lifestyle and skill, or that I don't respect people who WANT to go to the parties and enjoy the social/prestige aspects...it's just so completely far opposite of what I want out of horses that I have trouble explaining it properly.

I don't mean to sound rude...and I'm sorry that I probably did. Mad props to the owners and Pros, you keep the sport moving, you get sponsors interested, you engage the media, all of that needs to be happening so that people like me are free to haul in with our ornery horses and skip out on the social event afterward
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Comment

I really enjoyed that article. It makes me feel more confident in my decision to go to school and pursue a corporate career as opposed to being a working student and becoming pro.

I especially like the comment about how each person's life with horses will be different. It really is true. And I agree, I think i would much rather have a traditional job and pay bills with it and make a retirement fund, then ride as an ammy on the side and really keep it only enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by rugbygirl View Post
        I was talking to my coach about this the other day. I could, in no way shape or form, do the job of "Pro Rider" even if I was talented. I watch the one or two top, top talents in the area...and the amount of time they have to spend coddling, schmoozing and catering to their big-money owners is just...well, it takes skills that I don't have.

I'm an engineer with pronounced hermit tendencies. My idea of a really kick-butt weekend is a four-hour conditioning ride, by myself, on my ornery horse followed by sharing a dinner at home with my husband. Honestly. The idea of having to ride horses all day (fun) and juggle the hopes/wants/fears/whims/wishes of owners who are in the game for an EXPERIENCE...well, they'd be very disappointed with me. And I'd jump off a bridge.

I'm trying not to sound like the owners and trainers I'm talking about are bad or anything...it's not coming out right...it's not that I don't respect and value the lifestyle and skill, or that I don't respect people who WANT to go to the parties and enjoy the social/prestige aspects...it's just so completely far opposite of what I want out of horses that I have trouble explaining it properly.

I don't mean to sound rude...and I'm sorry that I probably did. Mad props to the owners and Pros, you keep the sport moving, you get sponsors interested, you engage the media, all of that needs to be happening so that people like me are free to haul in with our ornery horses and skip out on the social event afterward
        I just nodded as I read this.

I'm an engineer as well, and an introvert. I am not good at the whole "selling myself" thing which you have to do when running a business in which you're offering a service many other people do as well.

I also have types of horses I prefer, and while I will ride others to help myself improve I would hate to have a career dependent upon riding the horses other people pick out and have problems with.

I am a total beginner in dressage, but I'm sure if I had wanted to stick with breed showing I could have made a career in it. I chose against that in Jr. High when selecting a high school - I picked the college prep school over the one near my trainer because I wanted horses to be a hobby, not a career.
        If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
        -meupatdoes

Comment

Considering my abilities, there has never been much risk of me 'going pro'. But I always had vague ideas of how amazing it would be in theory until I started riding with a big name trainer and actually see what she deals with in terms of people, horses, and schedules every day of her life. I am eternally grateful that she has the work ethic and personality for it because god knows I never would.

Plus, I don't even own any capes. No one would take me seriously in the dressage world.

Comment

A very well-written and thought-provoking article, but written by a person that young has the effect of coming off as a bit of a "sermon." I'm all in favor of the balanced life she recommends, which I have mostly had, but the truth is marriage and children bring no guarantees of security, financial or otherwise, anymore than working in the horse business does.

Life comes with NO guarantees--even working for Goldman Sachs! What I do believe is nobody on their deathbed ever regretted building their life around what they most like to do.

Many pros have solid business plans, support they have built and earned, and enough resources to retire. It's really just like any other business.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
              A very well-written and thought-provoking article, but written by a person that young has the effect of coming off as a bit of a "sermon."
              How "young" is she? I did some estimates. 21 years, then completed a degree (4 years) then "started her own business" 5 years ago, so she's at least 30. Probably had a job before she started her own business. She also talks about her pro friends and watching them "over the last decade".

I think that 30 - 35 is an acceptable age to look back and reflect on a decision not to go pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
                A very well-written and thought-provoking article, but written by a person that young has the effect of coming off as a bit of a "sermon." I'm all in favor of the balanced life she recommends, which I have mostly had, but the truth is marriage and children bring no guarantees of security, financial or otherwise, anymore than working in the horse business does.

Life comes with NO guarantees--even working for Goldman Sachs! What I do believe is nobody on their deathbed ever regretted building their life around what they most like to do.

Many pros have solid business plans, support they have built and earned, and enough resources to retire. It's really just like any other business.
                I agree. Unless you are the boss there usually someone's ego that needs stroking regardless of what business you are in.
                Groom to trainer: "Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!"

Comment

Kristin is 28, IIRC. Late '84 model. But nice to see someone so 'young' who is smart enough to realize that being a pro isn't all glamour and self-fulfillment. Wish I'd been that smart!

Jennifer
                  Third Charm Event Team

Comment

While I am not now, nor ever have been, talented enough to ride professionally I'm glad that it's a hobby for me.

Work is work and I would hate to ever wake up some day resenting the very thing that I love so much.

Of course since I'm 53 and pretty much a timid, talentless hack odds are in my favor that I won't ever have to make that decision.
                    "Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple” – Barry Switzer

Comment

I thought it was a great article that had some very good insights into the decision of whether or not to be a pro rider. Loving to do something can be very different from doing it as a career.

Comment

In my other reply, I got off on a tangent. Thinking out loud again.

When I rode for others, I enjoyed the horses, not so much many of the owners. I just wanted to RIDE not schmooze.

Very happy to have horses (actually ponies) as a hobby now. So much fun!!
                        Last edited by goneriding24; May. 25, 2013, 01:15 PM. Reason: .
                        GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

Everyone always says, "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life." In my late teens/early 20s, I followed that advice and pursued a career in horses. It didn't take me long to realize that statement isn't true for everyone.

Part of the problem with "going pro" is that horses become a business. You have to love the business as the article described just as much as you love the horses, or else you're never going to be happy. Some people do-- they thrive in the business aspect, and I'm glad those people exist. But I learned I am not one of them and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
                          Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

Interesting article that summarizes a lot of the reasons I opted out of going pro when most of my horse friends were doing so. Like the author, I've watched my pro friends over the years too, and mostly been grateful that I have a job outside of the horse world. I will admit many moments of jealousy and second-guessing my decision (the grass always seems like it could be greener!), especially when one of them has a super nice young horse that's progressing quickly. Inevitably money wins out, though, and I've watched trainer friends do incredible jobs bringing a horse up through the levels, finally reach the top (be it the 1.40m, a GP, or a Hunter Derby) only to have the horse sold out from under them. And those with their own horses often lack the funds to campaign that horse the way they may be able to campaign their owners' horses.

I also realized that I have no patience for people in general. I have huge respect for my friends who train because I realize how much they put up with on a regular basis. I just got back from a week at a show with Greg Best, and it's amazing to me to watch someone who is genuinely as interested in his 0.70m people as his 1.40m riders. I do not have the same passion for teaching, but I do have a passion for learning, so I guess that sticks me solidly in the "amateur" camp

Mostly, though, I'm thankful for the fact that there are people for whom training is a true passion because the industry wouldn't exist without them.

Comment

Originally posted by Texarkana View Post
                              Everyone always says, "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life." In my late teens/early 20s, I followed that advice and pursued a career in horses. It didn't take me long to realize that statement isn't true for everyone.
                              OTOH, saying "find a job that pays the bills and do what you love as a hobby" ignores that means you're devoting 40+ hours a week to something that makes you miserable and you end up without the time or energy to do what you actually enjoy in any meaningful way. Depends on what you actually like doing--obviously if you HATE the business end, you'd be miserable doing horses as a business. I would not want to deal with riding-world clients, or with the pressure of riding other people's show horses. That would not be 'doing what you love.'
                              Author Page
                              Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                              Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Originally posted by danceronice View Post
                                OTOH, saying "find a job that pays the bills and do what you love as a hobby" ignores that means you're devoting 40+ hours a week to something that makes you miserable and you end up without the time or energy to do what you actually enjoy in any meaningful way. Depends on what you actually like doing--obviously if you HATE the business end, you'd be miserable doing horses as a business. I would not want to deal with riding-world clients, or with the pressure of riding other people's show horses. That would not be 'doing what you love.'
                                I never had a horse job that was only 40 hours a week except when I gave lessons. Then I could make my own hours and I did that part time. Otherwise, the track was 7 days a week 365 days a year (maybe a day off if you were sick or had a very special event) and show horses was usually at least 6 days a week.

And it does become work no matter how much you love horses. I reached an age where I realized there were easier ways to make a living and now my horses are my release from the world.
                                Groom to trainer: "Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!"

Comment

Thank you for that link -- I thought it was a well-written article that I identified very much with and elucidates many of my own decisions (although I have no desire for the wifey-mommy route). She very rightly observes that everyone has their own journey and their own skillset and while there are people who are GREAT at being a pro (and I know some of those amazing people), they are far fewer in number than high school kids believe.

I do work in a field that I love -- conservation -- and I am passionate about what I do. At the same time, I have learned that no matter how much you love it, it still becomes WORK. I will never, EVER get tired of the wildlife, but many of the other aspects exhaust, drain, and sadden me.

I never wanted that to happen with horses. I wanted them to remain an escape and something that I could set the parameters for and enjoy at my pace. I'd been involved with the horse world long enough to know what it takes and what the compromises are; it was not what I wanted for my life. The best moments with my horses have been standing at the top of a mountain during a long weekend camping in the woods and I would hate to have missed those beautiful bits of time.
                                  Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                                  We Are Flying Solo

Comment

I basically got that talk when I was a starry-eyed teenager from a pro close to me and I am forever grateful.
                                    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

That link should be a sticky note somewhere so when the next starry-eyed prospective equestrian degree, I-wanna-be-a-trainer poster can be referred there.

In many ways I was lucky growing up because my father had been a pro until he grew up and got a family and a real job. It was very apparent that he loved, and still loves working horses, but he also worked with a bunch of crooks, @ssholes, and owners who occaisonally entered in shows because they wanted to go to the exhibitors' party. In other ways it sucked b/c it wasn't something he particularly wanted his little girls into, even if they had been bitten by the horse bug.

Wanted to add "Find a job that pays the bills and do what you love as a hobby" doesn't mean you have to hate your day job. I like my job; I have seen some really cool stuff that most folks wouldn't dream of seeing and it has absolutely nothing to do with horses.
                                      Visit my Spoonflower shop

Comment

I'm coming at this article from a slightly different perspective. I, too, am an engineer who works full-time at a fairly demanding job. I own two of my own horses. And, as of this year, I'm now a professional as I give lessons on my weekends.

I am an engineer, and not a full-time dressage trainer, because I don't want to sit on other people's potentially dangerous mistakes (and also because I make fairly decent money as an engineer, which supports my unhealthily expensive dressage habit). But I've got enough work on the weekends with amateurs honestly trying to get better that I get a couple neat benefits:
                                        - offsetting some of my other horse costs
                                        - helping others learn dressage
                                        - staying connected to the dressage world.

And honestly, that third point is pretty crucial for me, as I was getting a little burned out when I was schooling by myself surrounded by hunters.

So, I'm now a pro showing the GP. I'm not going to the Olympics by a long shot-- after all, I do have that pesky full-time job and also that pesky lack of talent.

Comment

Working...
                                        X