• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Emaciated CL Horse (Tennessee), UPDATE: Rescued!! (pg. 8)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by uphill View Post
    If you get the papers and he really is nicely gaited and trained...that was a steal!

We could start taking bets on whether he is actually 'trained' Or what that training may have entailed. Or how young he was when it was started...

Comment

• I called the previous owner about Roy's papers and his number has been disconnected. Not surprised, but it will probably be turned back on when he has the money to pay the bill. He looks that sort. I'll keep trying.

StG

Comment

• Thanks, StG. As for whether or not this guy is "trained" we don't know yet. I'll venture a guess that he tolerates a saddle, bridle and rider, and the person on his back can steer him. He seems to know cluck = go and "whoa" = stop. He kinda sorta lunges one way, and is totally clueless lunging the other way. He's sweet, interested in people, and everyone who has met him has absolutely loved him.

He's spirited; not a deadhead. He's very smart, too! He has the makings of a good, kind horse, but will need someone to help him realize his potential. I'm not a trainer. I'm calm, quiet, practical and have lots of horse experience. I'm older, and don't want to hop on a greenie anymore. Outside of the first couple of days when he DID NOT want his feet touched or picked up at all, he has no issues with anything. And he's fine about having his feet handled now. I can pick up all four of them. Can't yet hold the back ones up for any length of time, but I can pick them up, and the vet did too. So I don't know why he was dead set against anyone touching his feet, but that seems to be behind him now.

He's gaining weight well and next week we will make his turnout area bigger since he now easy enough to catch.
        It's 2017. Do you know where your old horse is?

www.streamhorsetv.com -- website with horse show livestream listings and links.

Comment

• Originally posted by pony4me View Post
          He's sweet, interested in people, and everyone who has met him has absolutely loved him.

He's spirited; not a deadhead. He's very smart, too! He has the makings of a good, kind horse, but will need someone to help him realize his potential.

He's gaining weight well and next week we will make his turnout area bigger since he now easy enough to catch.
          Pony, this is all we can ask for, thank you!!!!!! You GO Sir Roy!!!!!

Comment

• As of tonight, he's been at my place for two weeks. He's beginning to look better. He certainly feels better, and has a wonderful personality. As for training, we really don't know yet. We've put a saddle on him, and he obviously knows what a saddle is, so no big problems there. He does not seem to know any of that show barn stuff....like clippers, lunging, parking out, etc. So either he was never at a show barn, or left very early on. Thanks to everyone who helped, enabled, and jingled for him.
            It's 2017. Do you know where your old horse is?

www.streamhorsetv.com -- website with horse show livestream listings and links.

Comment

• Great to hear he's coming along! I would start him under saddle from scratch, just in case there are a few "holes" in his training. A lot of them don't longe, but that's easy to fix; just be aware he isn't likely to trot--he may pace. What you want to encourage is long-and-low, big-striding even-tempo 4-beat walk. How big he eventually wants to make it will depend upon his strength, flexibility, balance and temperament. If you can, get ahold of Gary Lane and Anita Howe's excellent DVD which shows you how to figure out what he's got and how to use it.

Giving, bending, a little flex at the poll are all good; but don't expect this guy to go "on the bit" like a dressage horse; they've got different mechanics entirely, and the whole thing depends on the relative tension/relaxation of the muscles of his topline. If you've never experienced this before, well, it's like taking the Advanced Course in dressage! There is more going on in there than "regular horse" riders ever knew possible. Or, why this old eventing warrior is now caught all the time flat-walking down a trail with a sh*t-eating, meditative grin!

Comment

• Thanks for the update! So glad he is in a much better place now and receiving the love and care he deserves!

Comment

• I spoke with the former owner today. He said 2 days ago he spoke with the person he bought Roy from, and the guy has to send away for the papers. I told him that we would be willing to pay all or part of the fee, depending on the amount. I didn't just tell him we'd pay carte blanche for the papers, because I knew the cost would go up. He was also glad to hear the Roy is doing well and gaining weight.

StG

Comment

• excellent news, Pony and StG! Will be interesting to see if those papers come through......

Comment

• StG, find me on FB if I can help with that in any way. I am NOT averse to waving cash in people's faces to get this done, LOL! If I have to pay memberships or transfer fees I'll do that. I just want Roy to have as many options available to him as possible, even if that means (*cough* *vomit*) I have to join the TWHBEA for a year to effect the transfer. He is definitely a show-quality TWH, and I think he'd look soooo pretty in the Trail/Pleasure classes!
                      "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

• Me too War.

Maybe Preacher can help?
                        from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Comment

• Thanks for the update on Roy. Glad to hear he is sensible and thriving. Good job, folks. :-) Post some more pictures when you have time.
                          I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
                          I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

• sounds like a good update.

i am thinking he is trained to ride, very much so. when we got there the horse was saddled up and ready to ride, and doubt the previous owner would have done so if the horse wasn't rideable.

i think he is a show horse wash out. so YES he is broke to ride.

remember gaited walk much faster than a 17.2H warmblood. They just naturally walk faster.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmh_rider View Post
                              sounds like a good update.

i am thinking he is trained to ride, very much so. when we got there the horse was saddled up and ready to ride, and doubt the previous owner would have done so if the horse wasn't rideable.

i think he is a show horse wash out. so YES he is broke to ride.

remember gaited walk much faster than a 17.2H warmblood. They just naturally walk faster.
                              They sure do! My guy's only 14.3, and I keep runnin' out of country waaaaaay before I run out of horse! His walk makes Hanoverians lather up and their owners cry in their beer--the Banner-man just keeps cruisin'!

Comment

• I was riding my RM mare on our road, it is a safe road, and an elderly resident was out walking on our little paved road. I thought this would be nice to go ride and talk to her.

My mare gaited fast like a little speed demon (at a walk) to catch up to her, she was 1/4 - 1/2 mi away. But we caught her. Then we walked for 5-10 minutes and my mare slowed lots to accommodate the little lady walking. Then we turned and went for home, and the little lady was walking even slower, it was hot, and my mare I have never felt her walk SO SLOW. It was interesting. She was very much so keeping pace with this lady. I didn't have my gps on but I would assume we were walking about 2.0 mph. It was a slow legged walk (in gait mind you). She won't walk that with non gaited, but sure would accommodate this lady walking.

Such a sweet horse. She was very careful around this little walking lady. After the lady went back to her house, it was business as usual. Lots of fast gaiting at the walk, which is 4-4.5 mph, which is a casual walk, in gaited.

Comment

• I stayed up way too late last night reading this entire thread!
                                  And all I can say is there are some wonderful caring folks on COTH.
                                  You are are impressive. He is one lucky horse!
                                  Great going!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by rmh_rider View Post
                                    I was riding my RM mare on our road, it is a safe road, and an elderly resident was out walking on our little paved road. I thought this would be nice to go ride and talk to her.

My mare gaited fast like a little speed demon (at a walk) to catch up to her, she was 1/4 - 1/2 mi away. But we caught her. Then we walked for 5-10 minutes and my mare slowed lots to accommodate the little lady walking. Then we turned and went for home, and the little lady was walking even slower, it was hot, and my mare I have never felt her walk SO SLOW. It was interesting. She was very much so keeping pace with this lady. I didn't have my gps on but I would assume we were walking about 2.0 mph. It was a slow legged walk (in gait mind you). She won't walk that with non gaited, but sure would accommodate this lady walking.

Such a sweet horse. She was very careful around this little walking lady. After the lady went back to her house, it was business as usual. Lots of fast gaiting at the walk, which is 4-4.5 mph, which is a casual walk, in gaited.
                                    That is so neat! Nice mare.
                                    You know in the 40 some years I have done horses, that is the one thing I have never experienced, a gaited horse. I think I owe it to myself to find out what it is like. Sounds really cool.

Comment

• The feel in your butt/seat is like you are at the sitting trot all the time.

HOWEVER, it is very very flat, no to extremely little bounce, easy EASY to sit to. They just go like this, and it is actually fun. I can ride farther with no or little pain, and the next day have no or very little pain in my body.

Lots of different breeds, and there are variations amongst the individuals in the breed. You can do all kinds of riding with them. Trail, show, dressage.

Why not adopt this red horse? I can and will haul him once again, if you need me to drive him to his new home again.

I do think he is totally broke to ride. Gaited are usually forward. Which is a good thing. Their feet go fast, but not always do they go fast. They have been historically bred to really love and try to please their humans, thus sweet temps on them.

Why not take a chance on this red horse?

Comment

• BTW I was "walking" my rm only due to the black top pavement. I was being careful. She is very good on slick pavement, and surfaces, but I was being careful with her. I was the chicken. ha ha. But it was my mare who wanted to be slow with this little lady. It was apparent the little lady was getting hot and tired. So we were not about to leave her. I wanted to make sure she got home ok. I did have my cell with me in case something happened to her. I did pick up from my rm mare that she sensed this lady needed some looking after, by her of course, and was keeping an eye on her to make sure she was ok. Not sure if she smelled a chemical change in the lady, or it was her body language from the little lady. BTW the lady was telling me about all her bad health the past couple weeks, and how she was really stressed. So maybe my mare sensed, or smelled stress and was trying to help her by being a good walk along friend? I do believe (and have experienced it myself) horses do have an understanding of this, and try to be gentle and not take advantage.

I love horses, if you can't tell already. ha ha. ooops straying off topic, but hey, that is COTH!

Seriously, if somebody wants this red horse we rescued, I can haul for them. Private hauler, VERY experienced. I do have very good equipment too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sannois View Post
                                          That is so neat! Nice mare.
                                          You know in the 40 some years I have done horses, that is the one thing I have never experienced, a gaited horse. I think I owe it to myself to find out what it is like. Sounds really cool.
                                          I was a dressage/event rider and thought I'd be the last person on the green Earth to get a Walker--until a rescue horse landed on me for rehab. He was a big, white, walking skeleton with the most spectacular overstride I'd ever seen.
                                          I'd never seen one and thought he was a Trakehner! We got him healthy, and one day out on the road I turned for home and the trees started going by 9 mph. and we were still WALKING! That was when I realized what we had--and fell in love. He died last year, but I've got a 7 year old (also a rescue) and a very well-bred old plantation type yearling who's down in Arkansas growing up.

NEVER say never!

Comment

Working...
                                          X