• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Grey Horse Owners - We Suffer Together

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My roan (technically an app) sits on the back bar of the trailer and comes off with big poop stain on her butt and poop ground into her tail every.single.time.

Comment

I have to share the trick I learned on CotH...I used that orange smelling hand scrubby stuff for mechanics (sorry, I took it from my husbands shop, I have no clue what it's called) and used it on the mane and tail of my grey (white) mare. It worked REALLY well. The ends were so yellow and ugly and after one washing they were much better, but after 2 they are sparkling white. Now I'll buy stock in show sheen to keep them from yellowing again! The cactus cloth does a pretty good job getting grass stains off the knees and hocks.

Comment

Originally posted by oldernewbie View Post
        How about grey *and* 4 white socks? This is a pretty typical every day picture - altho he's a lot lighter color now (pic is about 3 years old). Note nice green front socks and lovely green spotting overall! I don't even bother trying to keep him clean on a daily basis - brushed well, yes, but clean? I'm just not that compulsive.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps96d136d9.jpg
        Picked up my new grey boy today (I'm in love already). He actually has 3 white socks, luckily he is also pretty light now and you can't see it very well.

Comment

I know how you all feel. I work for a race trainer at his farm and we have to keep all the horses shiny and clean. They get turned out so on top of the clay they have the lovely spring grass poop. About 80% of them insist on laying in that poop!

Comment

I just put down my old grey fellow this past fall. He made it to his grand old thirties, but melanoma finally caught up with him. I bought him from a rescue and didn't get a good look at his filthy coat until he came home. After several layers of dirt came off, I noticed he was a flea-bitten grey, LOL!
            “Pray, hope, and don't worry.”

St. Padre Pio

Comment

Originally posted by LuvMyRide View Post
              Picked up my new grey boy today (I'm in love already). He actually has 3 white socks, luckily he is also pretty light now and you can't see it very well.
              Yep, mine it too now, which mean the green just extends in a seamless smear from hoof to back!

Stopped by the barn today to check him (it's his day off) and found him rolling in the only muddy spot in the pasture. He certainly was enjoying himself but dang! is he dirty!!!!

Comment

All you grey owners... can you help someone completely unfamiliar with all the various shades? I've seen fleabitten, white, dapple, etc. How many different shades ARE there, and any way to tell which one (if any) a foal will end up? My foal is the product of an accident (seriously) - mare was on a long-term free lease and wound up pregnant.

Foal at 4 months (now)

Dam & Foal
                Sire
                "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Comment

hard to tell when they are foals. Cloudy was out of a grey mare, but had a dark bay and white pinto sire. He was dapple grey and white pinto when I bought him, with blaze and 4 high whites, and white tail and a mane 3/4 white and 1/4 grey. Over the years, he's gone to flea bitten grey and white, and now looks "white" except for summer when his hair is so sparse that he looks pink with flea bitten light grey spots on his skin where he used to be grey.

People tell me he probably was a reddish grey/roan when he was a colt, but his keuring papers show him as a grey and white pinto, with all the white markings, and the white unterlippe.

Don't worry about what your grey looks like when he's clean. You won't see that too often except right after bathing.

Comment

Haha I was hoping she would be a dark bay like mama, who hates to be dirty looks like lots of baths in our future!

Comment

Every consider having your grey wear pajamas fulltime? I love them, too, but don't think I could stand how filthy some of them get!

Comment

I try to look on the positive side - at least I know my grey is laying down even if it is in manure and getting some rest.

What about all the little scrapes and nicks - those show up more than on darker colors. My gelding is accident prone and it seems everyday he has a new nick or scrape.
                        Moving on doesn't mean you forget about things. It just means you have to accept what happended and continue living.

Comment

Trainer's DH: I am so mad at you!
                          Trainer: Why?
                          Trainer's DH: You said you wouldn't buy any more horses right now. I just drove up and I see a brand new black horse in the pasture! What were you thinking?
                          Trainer (looking out window): That is kch7238's fleabitten grey horse, he has rolled in the mud so much he looks black now!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by OTTBcooper View Post
                            All you grey owners... can you help someone completely unfamiliar with all the various shades? I've seen fleabitten, white, dapple, etc. How many different shades ARE there, and any way to tell which one (if any) a foal will end up? My foal is the product of an accident (seriously) - mare was on a long-term free lease and wound up pregnant.

Foal at 4 months (now)

Dam & Foal
                            Sire
                            Oh goodness, the short answer is "No." The mare I ride started chestnut, turned Rose Grey, then Dapple grey, then fleabitten..

Comment

Will probably end up grey-usually(not always) if there is a grey parent the foal ends up grey of some sort.
                              I had a Arab mare that was out of a chesnut mare and a grey sire-she was born chesnut and the turned rose grey and then dappled grey and then got whiter with flea bites as she got older-she did keep a very dark almost black mane and tail though.
                              And yes she was a "poo pony"-she would very neatly pile all her manure on one side of stall and then sleep with her head on it-permanent brown stain on her head led to the nick-name "S***head"
                              "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Oh Lord- show on Sat and I know the work ahead! I thought she was pretty clean during the winter, blanketed and all. I brought her out on a snowy day to take her passport photo- dirty white body with beige neck and yellow tail, even tho it lives in a tail bag for the winter. WHY can't they stay that lovely dark gray dapple colour? Not fair!

Comment

I feel everyone's pain. The only thing that saves me is that I don't show. I have a fleabitten gray who looks blindingly white in the winter and blindingly white with a few spots in the summer. That is, if you could see his actual color. His favorite napping place is the manure pile, and he will find any spot that is even slightly damp to roll in. My daughter says it's because our other horse is a Paint, and the gray is a wanna-be paint.

I just get used to the snide comments my neighbors make when I drive my stained horse through the neighborhood.

Rebecca

Comment

Originally posted by _BrionesRider_ View Post
                                    Oh goodness, the short answer is "No." The mare I ride started chestnut, turned Rose Grey, then Dapple grey, then fleabitten..
                                    That's what I figured.... it's like a surprise! haha

Comment

I feel your pain. I have two greys. Actually a flea bitten grey and one who is pretty much white at this point. Flea bitten mare is pretty good about saying clean (except when she's blanketed), but the white dude gets dirty on the top of his back mostly? Here's a pic of the cuties. (note the blanket of dirt on the gelding...)
                                      Click image for larger version

Name:	dirtygreys2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	9136188Click image for larger version

Name:	dirtygreys.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	9136189
                                      ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

Comment

Kari, it's great to see he's doing well! And getting filthy!
                                        What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by BarbaricYawp View Post
                                          No such luck for you. Mondy has Classico lines -- if he ages like my Torbellino mare he will probably end up white-grey with an iron grey mane. I have a Profeta son who at age 4 is still somewhat dapply grey with the aforementioned and lusted-after metallic sheen mane -- when he's clean it actually looks like spun steel. He'll likely end up pure white. Only way to KEEP him clean is to use a concoction shared with me by another horse person that involves OxyClean and shampoo, then promptly shrinkwrap him (or as close to it as I can manage) with a sheet. Oh, and being a mouthy stud he thinks it's great fun to figure out ways to wriggle out of the sheet overnight. Last year I think he went into the class at Nationals with a big spot on his butt because he managed to escape and it was too darn cold in Lexington that day to re-wash him.

If anyone has recommendations for dry shampoos that work on grey horses, I'd love to hear them...
                                          Baby wipes!
                                          What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

Working...
                                          X