• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I am really intrigued by this training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am really intrigued by this training

Here is a picture of a 5 yo Arab/ Dutch Harness cross mare being trained. This trainer starts them off bridleless! He never loses his cool. We swear he has no pulse and way more confidence in the horses than I would have! It works !!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Wow!
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

Comment

Sure, you can do that, but why?

The idea of starting colts is to give them the best chance to learn without any fireworks, that may set the horse back, or could even cause bad habits.

For that, best to have some real control, because you can't foresee all that may happen around you.
      It just takes one bad experience to undo much you have done before to gain the colt's confidence.

I think it is silly to, as so many western trainers do, take all the time and do a great job to get your colt saddled quietly ... and then turn it lose to run around, without any control on your part.
      Then stand there wondering why some colts took off blindly bucking into the fences?

If she is trying to prove some point, why a saddle at all?
      We started many colts in a halter and bareback first ride or two, more as part of desensitizing than a real ride.
      We may or not have introduced a saddle before.
      Then the saddle if not before and a rider in the saddle.

Each colt we started determined how we went about it by the way it was responding to what we were doing.
      Yes, some we could have just ridden without anything on their heads the first ride.
      Not doing so is not about confidence, but being prudent.
      Just because you can do something, that doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

I would say, don't try that at home.

Comment

I think I'd rather get on with a halter and leadrope attached just in case.

However, I was thrilled to see all the helmets!
        http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

There is something to approaching horses as would a child. No threat.

Comment

Originally posted by sunridge1 View Post
            There is something to approaching horses as would a child. No threat.

Are you implying people start horses threatening them?
            That doesn't make much sense.

We started many, many horses, including dozens of feral horses.
            There would not have made any sense to threaten them.
            To the contrary, you work to be sure they are not feeling pressured, much less threatened at any time.
            That would impede learning.

Comment

There is a man near Gresham, OR that trains this way too. He said the point of leaving their head free is so the horse can make the decision to stay or go. If you have a horse that runs off bucking, you didn't follow the correct steps.

Not every one has this ability. It takes something beyond just horsemanship, inmh.
              Hillary Rodham Clinton - the peoples choice for president.

Comment

Here is one of many we started, first picture first ride, around the yard, bareback and with a halter, other pictures all working with her in the first 30 days:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...63D773A3-1.jpg

One picture showing the rope nose hackamore we make and we use to start colts and how we introduced a snaffle along with it.

There we start her with rope work and cattle position.

Filly went on to the track later.

We can start colts any one way of many.
                Some just make more sense than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Gestalt View Post
                  There is a man near Gresham, OR that trains this way too. He said the point of leaving their head free is so the horse can make the decision to stay or go. If you have a horse that runs off bucking, you didn't follow the correct steps.

Not every one has this ability. It takes something beyond just horsemanship, inmh.
                  Maybe you are right, it takes something more beyond just horsemanship to start colts, like some common sense.

In the OP picture, you can see how the saddle is turning.
                  That puts pressure on the horse's back, digging into it, a no-no in good horsemanship.
                  You are supposed to get on while balancing over the saddle, so that doesn't happen.

Comment

I'm sure there's something to this. I'm always fascinated that even the nastiest cats will barely flinch when given an injection if they're NOT restrained. But have someone hold the same cat for you to inject and you suddenly have a hissing, screaming, dagger wielding monster!
                    I've started more youngsters than I can count and only ONCE have I had one buck on day one. Only ONCE. I think I could've gotten on the others without a bridle and it may have been more fun and educational for them because they would have had fewer distractions. No one has perfect balance and the very last thing anyone wants is for a horse to get caught in the mouth or to feel that he doesn't have his head and neck free to aid in his own balance during his first experience with a rider on his back. I see this technique as insurance that the horse's first experience will be a good one. I'm sure they don't mount until the horse is ready, the trust is there and they know it will be a positive experience.
                    And Bluey - you do it differently. Not better, not worse. Just different. There's no attack on your methods here.
                    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
                    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Comment

I think it's a stupid idea to start bridless. Sure it may look cool but when working with a greenie things can and do go wrong that you can't predict. Sometimes it doesn't matter if you took your time and followed all the correct steps, a horse is a horse, and you have to be prepared for that. I fully support starting bitless, either with a bosal or a loping halter, but not without any sort of halter/bridle.
                      come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Comment

Originally posted by JackieBlue View Post
                        I'm sure there's something to this. I'm always fascinated that even the nastiest cats will barely flinch when given an injection if they're NOT restrained. But have someone hold the same cat for you to inject and you suddenly have a hissing, screaming, dagger wielding monster!
                        I've started more youngsters than I can count and only ONCE have I had one buck on day one. Only ONCE. I think I could've gotten on the others without a bridle and it may have been more fun and educational for them because they would have had fewer distractions. No one has perfect balance and the very last thing anyone wants is for a horse to get caught in the mouth or to feel that he doesn't have his head and neck free to aid in his own balance during his first experience with a rider on his back. I see this technique as insurance that the horse's first experience will be a good one. I'm sure they don't mount until the horse is ready, the trust is there and they know it will be a positive experience.
                        And Bluey - you do it differently. Not better, not worse. Just different. There's no attack on your methods here.
                        Who is "hanging on a horse's mouth" when getting on?
                        Surely not someone that is advanced enough to start colts properly?

No, you have a lose rope, but you do have something as an insurance that the unexpected may not happen and turn into a bad experience, that was my point.

I too have never had a horse buck I was starting, but then, I learned from people that considered that a failure of the one starting the colt.
                        You were taught to prepare the colt enough so that didn't happen, or back off and do more preparation if the horse was not quite ready and showing it.

I did have a horse buck someone else was starting and I was test pilot, but that was because someone in the club house, above the indoor, watching, dropped something with a big bang and set the feral horse off.
                        They apologized profusely, I am sure they didn't do it on purpose and normally the horses were used to those noises, just that time that big bang was a real surprise to all.
                        Horse was on a longe line, so other than me landing on his hips and the horse bucking a few strides, we regrouped and all was fine after that.

Without something holding the horse, that would have been a real rodeo.
                        He would have learned to buck big time when something set him off.

Yes, I agree, different strokes and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by SAcres View Post
                          I think it's a stupid idea to start bridless. Sure it may look cool but when working with a greenie things can and do go wrong that you can't predict. Sometimes it doesn't matter if you took your time and followed all the correct steps, a horse is a horse, and you have to be prepared for that. I fully support starting bitless, either with a bosal or a loping halter, but not without any sort of halter/bridle.
                          This.

G.
                          Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Is it just me or is he mounting/dismounting on the wrong side?
                            If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
                            If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
                            If I smell like manure, I tripped.

Comment

Originally posted by DottieHQ View Post
                              Any broke horse should be able to deal with you mounting from either side.

There's no reason why that idea can't be introduced from the very beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                Who is "hanging on a horse's mouth" when getting on?
                                Surely not someone that is advanced enough to start colts properly?

No, you have a lose rope, but you do have something as an insurance that the unexpected may not happen and turn into a bad experience, that was my point.

I too have never had a horse buck I was starting, but then, I learned from people that considered that a failure of the one starting the colt.
                                You were taught to prepare the colt enough so that didn't happen, or back off and do more preparation if the horse was not quite ready and showing it.

I did have a horse buck someone else was starting and I was test pilot, but that was because someone in the club house, above the indoor, watching, dropped something with a big bang and set the feral horse off.
                                They apologized profusely, I am sure they didn't do it on purpose and normally the horses were used to those noises, just that time that big bang was a real surprise to all.
                                Horse was on a longe line, so other than me landing on his hips and the horse bucking a few strides, we regrouped and all was fine after that.

Without something holding the horse, that would have been a real rodeo.
                                He would have learned to buck big time when something set him off.

Yes, I agree, different strokes and all that.

1. You put "hanging on a horse's mouth" as if I typed that somewhere in my post. Um, I did not.

2. Someone holding a horse when it bucks in reaction to a stimulus or stimuli does not necessarily prevent the horse from learning to buck in response to such things. Just as, giving the horse its head does not teach it to buck in the event that the situation repeats itself.

3. No need to take every post seriously, Bluey. This thread is not about you or how you start a young horse.
                                "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
                                http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Comment

Originally posted by DottieHQ View Post
                                  When we first get on and off a horse, we do so from both sides equally, before moving it out.

In different stables, with different trainers, I have seen all kinds of ways of starting horses, some right in the stall in race track farms, some outside, some in round pens, many of ours here we started in the race track barn, that was built like a shedrow and had a place to ride around and around and also in the middle of it, then go out around the yard, generally the first day with most horses we started and didn't have problems before we got them to start, someone else had not tried first and then bring them to retrain.

You really can do it any one way, as long as you are sensible about it and the horses will be fine anyway.

Comment

Are you implying people start horses threatening them?
                                    That doesn't make much sense.

We started many, many horses, including dozens of feral horses.
                                    There would not have made any sense to threaten them.
                                    To the contrary, you work to be sure they are not feeling pressured, much less threatened at any time.
                                    That would impede learning.
                                    Talk about out of context. Geez lighten up. We are a predator by nature. Horses aren't stupid, and can/will/may respond as prey. Children are babies.

Comment

I have actually had a horse trained with this trainer. Said horse was already pretty broke to WTC, but had some other issues that needed to be touched up. He did a great job. He was honest, and everyone at the farm seemed to have the animals best interest in mind. He did jumping, flat, round pen, and a few other exercises. I don't recall anything bridle-less with that particular horse.

Comment

Maybe you are right, it takes something more beyond just horsemanship to start colts, like some common sense.

In the OP picture, you can see how the saddle is turning.
                                        That puts pressure on the horse's back, digging into it, a no-no in good horsemanship.
                                        You are supposed to get on while balancing over the saddle, so that doesn't happen.
                                        Horse trainers with real talent have common horse sense. And a lot more. Your observations about the saddle don't seem to bother the horse. It appears to be in sync with the trainer. You sound a bit jealous.

Edit to add: how in the heck do you get any riding, let alone training, done with the number of posts you have?
                                        Last edited by Gestalt; May. 12, 2013, 11:28 PM. Reason: Adding question to bluye
                                        Hillary Rodham Clinton - the peoples choice for president.

Comment

Working...
                                        X