• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What substance is used in a horse's behind to make it poop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lynnwood View Post
    So now a BDSM practice some how gets tied into gingering , this group never ceases to amaze and disgust me
    My apologies if I offended you. I was trying to explain that from reading about how intense the discomfort would be, it was the closest correlation I could find, since we can't determine how much pain it would cause the horse. One poster tried putting some ginger in her mouth, but I don't think that is an accurate comparison. I opted not to link to the Wiki site, to avoid offending people. It seems even my post might not have been mild enough. I was trying to remain neutral in my response, since I don't have any experience with gingering horses, and have never seen it done. I personally am against causing pain to get a certain "look". It seems like cheating and I don't care for the idea of hurting an animal to get a "look".

Comment

Seems to me that ASBs start with an already surgically altered tail and then harnessed, so it stays upright?
      Just hearsay, I would not know.

My mom was friends with a very prominent and successful Arabian and Saddlebred trainer back in the day....and I hated going through the barn looking at all the saddlebreds with their tails cut, having to live in a circingle and crouper so that the tail always stays up. So yeah, makes sense that people who are ok with doing that would be fine with pasting a burning substance onto their horse's anal skin solely for cosmetic enhancement.

I grew up with Arabs, I competed heavily in the JR/Open classes growing up and aside from the horses (I will always have a soft spot for an Arab) and the many nice people I met I am glad I got tired of that whole world. The constant obsession with making horses into the equine version of Barbie is just not my idea of horsemanship nor is it my idea of a sport.
      www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Comment

So now a BDSM practice some how gets tied into gingering , this group never ceases to amaze and disgust me
        OK, so the point of my (pretty overtly) sarcastic post was that
        1. It has already been established that due to anatomical differences, there are really no equivalent substances/techniques for humans that would equate to the sensation felt by equines undergoing a controversial show preparation practice commonly known as "gingering". So that is not the direction that discussion on this practice should go, based on the (previously settled) fact that it is a dead end.
        2. The way that COTH topics tend to go is from the specific to the general. What began as a topic about one particular practice lengthened and spread in breadth of subject material to include frequently and exhaustedly debated practices in various disciplines within the equestrian community. The thread topic was about one practice in particular, and as usual, COTH drags it into a discussion over every negatively perceived training/exhibition preparation practice present in equestrian sport, from deadening tails by severing nerves in quarter horses to ACEing show hunters. Thus, nothing is accomplished regarding the original topic and the saying, "In the horse world, two people have three opinions" is proven once again by way of vigorous, albeit fruitless, discussion. I highlight this point by pushing the discussion way out of bounds, causing readers to re-examine what the thread was originally about.

I achieved my ironic effect by proposing a fabulously exaggerated scenario drawn from the pieces of discussion I wished to satirize. Due to the nature of the posts this far into the discussion, I analyzed the situation and decided that a potentially offensive post offering my thinly veiled convictions would be the best way to convey my feelings on the subject, as it would attract the most attention.

I bid you good day, ma'am.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebuckets View Post
          OK, so the point of my (pretty overtly) sarcastic post was that
          1. It has already been established that due to anatomical differences, there are really no equivalent substances/techniques for humans that would equate to the sensation felt by equines undergoing a controversial show preparation practice commonly known as "gingering". So that is not the direction that discussion on this practice should go, based on the (previously settled) fact that it is a dead end.
          2. The way that COTH topics tend to go is from the specific to the general. What began as a topic about one particular practice lengthened and spread in breadth of subject material to include frequently and exhaustedly debated practices in various disciplines within the equestrian community. The thread topic was about one practice in particular, and as usual, COTH drags it into a discussion over every negatively perceived training/exhibition preparation practice present in equestrian sport, from deadening tails by severing nerves in quarter horses to ACEing show hunters. Thus, nothing is accomplished regarding the original topic and the saying, "In the horse world, two people have three opinions" is proven once again by way of vigorous, albeit fruitless, discussion. I highlight this point by pushing the discussion way out of bounds, causing readers to re-examine what the thread was originally about.

I achieved my ironic effect by proposing a fabulously exaggerated scenario drawn from the pieces of discussion I wished to satirize. Due to the nature of the posts this far into the discussion, I analyzed the situation and decided that a potentially offensive post offering my thinly veiled convictions would be the best way to convey my feelings on the subject, as it would attract the most attention.

I bid you good day, ma'am.
          It wasn't your post that dragged the topic off into the dregs. Have no fear. I actually thought along the same paths. Its funny that we as humans buy all sorts of gadgets and gizmo's paints and Spackle and everything in-between for our own "enhancement" in every meaning of the word known to webster, and that is perfectly A OK Normal but something as potentially benign as ginger salve gets brought up and holy heck the church is on fire.
          "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Comment

And yet here you are.
            My warmbloods have actually drunk mulled wine in the past. Not today though. A drunk warmblood is a surly warmblood. - WildandWickedWarmbloods

Comment

Wow. 4 pages.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
                When individuals such as Jenm ask a question such as this and then have no additional posts..I can assure you..she is "checking for negative information" for her mother ship.
                Why must I use the following phrase in response to SO many of your posts?

YOU ARE WRONG!!!

I asked a question based on something I wanted to understand. The first person who responded to my question answered it. My response to the answer was this:

Originally posted by jenm View Post
                Ah, that makes sense. Thank you!
                No need for me to continue to stay active on the thread once my question was answered. Sorry to disappoint you regarding yet another ridiculous theory of yours.
                Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
                http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
                http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

I showed AKC many many years. NEVER heard of "it". I had dogs poop in the ring and judge said just wait. Ok, ring keeper cleans it up. BTW any time one of my dogs pooped, it won the breed, or got best of opposite. I had a puppy bitch who pooped in the, and she won big time even over the specials. And she pooped. Boy they specials handlers/owners didn't like a class dog to win over their CH dogs.

If you want the spincter to close you can use immodium and that will close it up and no poop will come out. THAT is what that product does. Maybe they used that, and yeah, it is harmful. Stuff backs up, not good.

Not illegal, bet it is.

Comment

Originally posted by bludejavu View Post
                    When I used to have show horses, I often wanted to "know" exactly what effect certain elements of showing had on my horses. I once took ginger salve, the exact thing used on horses, and put a dab on my finger and spread it on the inside of my mouth against the gum. I didn't swallow it and rinsed my mouth thoroughly with Listerine later on. The end result - the Listerine had more of an effect than the ginger salve did. I compare the tingling of ginger salve to that of cinnamon gum. While I no longer have a need for ginger salve for horses, I definitely don't see it as having the horrible impact that some insist that it has on horses. Rinsing it out of my mouth wasn't easy because the ginger was in a petroleum basis (Vaseline type), but it had absolutely no ill effects on me and left me laughing at some of the stories surrounding it.

Now had I used a toothbrush and left open scratches in my mouth beforehand, that probably would have had an actual burn - that sort of behavior I do not condone, but in the 45 years of me being heavily ensconced in the Saddlebred world, I can say with absolutely certainty that only the unscrupulous "trainers" and wannabe trainers would resort to that method.
                    I feel like the mouth and anus aren't quite the same. It isn't uncommon to have spicy things in our mouth, but, spicy things in our butts no not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Amwrider View Post
                      Our poo holes are covered by our gluteus muscles, horses are not. Horse rectums are covered by the tail which can be lifted. When a horse is gingered, they lift their tail so air would reach the rectum. If a person tried it then they would have no way to air unless they pulled a Jim Carey and reached back with their hands to pull their butt cheeks apart.

So yes, they are different.

The way I think of it is to pop an altoid in your mouth, then you suck in air and get a cooling sensation. Ginger makes the rectum do the same with the horse. If I felt that it caused the horse any pain then I would not do it. I have yet to see a horse react from pain from a little ginger.
                      I have seen plenty do quite a bit of kicking though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sobriska View Post
                        What baffles me, and always will, is why, in almost every single discipline, humans feel the need to find ways to "enhance" the horses beauty/movement.
                        From cut tails, to weighted shoes, chains, cruel bits, tie downs and chemical soring.
                        I don't understand why people can not embrace the natural beauty of whatever breed they choose?
                        Personally, I don't see these practices as enhancing the beauty. I think these practices are UGLY!
                        And I'm tired of horses suffering for what people think is attractive.
                        Sheesh, Arab and saddlebred people use ginger to get horse to lift its tail and QH people cut nerves so horse has quiet tail. It's RIDICULOUS!
                        Why the heck does anyone care about how the horse carries its tail?
                        Oh, because tail swishing is one way horses express their discomfort.
                        Stick a little hot stuff up your own arse and report back!
                        LOVE this post.
                        And these people claim to love horses.
                        You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Comment

Originally posted by jenm View Post
                          Why must I use the following phrase in response to SO many of your posts?

YOU ARE WRONG!!!

I asked a question based on something I wanted to understand. The first person who responded to my question answered it. My response to the answer was this:

No need for me to continue to stay active on the thread once my question was answered. Sorry to disappoint you regarding yet another ridiculous theory of yours.
                          Quick Beam her up to the HSUS mothership. She needs reprograming

Jenm ALWAYS has an agenda

I don't know why you are upset..everyone has an agenda...

Gosh..more and more appear to be joining the tin foil hatters...others found your post provocative...
                          The Elephant in the room

Comment

Originally posted by rmh_rider View Post
                            I showed AKC many many years. NEVER heard of "it". I had dogs poop in the ring and judge said just wait. Ok, ring keeper cleans it up. BTW any time one of my dogs pooped, it won the breed, or got best of opposite. I had a puppy bitch who pooped in the, and she won big time even over the specials. And she pooped. Boy they specials handlers/owners didn't like a class dog to win over their CH dogs.

If you want the spincter to close you can use immodium and that will close it up and no poop will come out. THAT is what that product does. Maybe they used that, and yeah, it is harmful. Stuff backs up, not good.

Not illegal, bet it is.
                            I've never heard of ginger being used, but I have heard of "matching" to make them poop. The match is wetted and then inserted. I think it's more for constipated puppies, but I have heard of people using it for ring poopers.
                            You are what you dare.

Comment

Originally posted by rmh_rider View Post

Not illegal, bet it is.
                              Here are the rules for performance dogs, here agility:

Other faults :The dog biting the judge or the handler, the dog or handler exhibiting unsportsmanlike behavior, the dog eliminating in the ring, the dog leaving the ring and not coming back, the handler carrying toys or food into the ring, the dog running with his collar on (in organizations that prohibit collars being worn during a run), and so on.

Comment

Dogs pooping in the ring happens in conformation classes, which are not the same thing as performance classes like agility. I have shown a few dogs that have pooped in the ring and gone on to win, and I have seen even more over the years to the same.

In a performance class, such as agility, the dog should be focused on performing the task. That focus does not include going off task to poop. How long does it take to run an agility course? Less than a minute, give or take a few seconds. A dog stopping to potty is going to add so much time they would never win anyway.

Does anyone remember the Pointer (I think it was a Pointer) bitch that pooped during the televised Westminster Sporting group a few years ago? Huge round of applause.
                                Sheilah

Comment

Working...
                                X