• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dover summer sale catalog cover pic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by SharonA View Post
    I can only imagine the horror on the face of any man who had to bear witness to me trying that pose in his presence. :-)

    As others have said, I don't find her actual outfit inappropriate, but it's the overall message that I receive from the ad that bothers me (to me it seems like an air-head "come hither and canoe me from behind while I giggle and flip my hair a lot" kind of thing), but maybe I am confusing the model with my mare, who is in season.

    But, for those who are bothered with the ad, you might consider going to the Dover website and letting Dover know your thoughts. I did, just because to me the model looks like she's trying to be cute and sexy (and an airhead) and I do not want my adolescent daughter confusing horse time with being cute and sexy (and an airhead). I want her riding to be a respite from all that stuff, where it's just about her and the pony. I think the Dover representative whom I "chatted with" probably thinks I am crazy, but, no. I am just getting old and cantankerous, which is lots of fun. :-)
    Hahaha! I'd like to think they are getting a lot of those calls, just like I heard it drove a lot of women bonkers when Always put on their adhesive strip covers the slogan "Have A Happy Period". I know it made me say "WHAT?! "HAPPY"?! WHO SAID THAT?!"

    You've motivated me now...I might make a call or drop an email myself...I know a lot of mothers who want their daughters to be into horses as a way of keeping them from "getting into trouble" and don't want them using the barn as a "come-hither" kind of place, for certain.
    America dialed 911. Donald Trump answered the phone.

    Stop pumping money into colleges and start getting ready to earn money in the projected tradesman shortage of 2024. Make Trades Great Again!

    Comment


    • I found the ad odd in the way that I find 'horse' related ads odd when the model has beautiful nails, or no muscling whatsoever... However, I know that models are models and usually not real horseback riders. She's looking a little coy, sure. She's standing in maybe a not "traditional" way, but heck, I do the same. And you bet I wear shorts and tanks when it's hot and the farrier is coming, maybe I'll get a better deal! (mostly kidding ) Should girls be sex objects? God no. But if you have a great smile, aren't you going to smile a lot? If you have a great butt, heck, wear those pants!

      I had a conversation with my mother the other day along these lines. She was upset about the ceo of Abercrombie saying something about not wanting to make clothes for heavier people. I get it, that's not fair. But if you're so heavy that you actually can't find a size in many stores, that's a health issue. And America has a weight problem. That's not really okay. I don't believe stores should discriminate, but then again doesn't "fuller fillies" discriminate against skinny females?

      And going on a side-rant (hopefully people don't attack too much), we should all aim to be healthy and in shape. Period. I get really sick of people talking about "normal" if they are in fact obese. Having extra cushion is great, I'm all for it. Bring on the curves. But, there is a limit to that. I don't like being discriminated against because I work out a lot and try to skip the late night meal. When I feel in shape and healthy, I feel happier. If I can pull off the look in that ad, I'm going to dang well try!!

      It's a great marketing ad. The woman looks great, the pants look pretty cool, I actually really love the shirt. It's not very horse-y, no. That is the odd part. But it got us talking! You know the brand now if you didn't before.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by kmmoran View Post
        I found the ad odd in the way that I find 'horse' related ads odd when the model has beautiful nails, or no muscling whatsoever... However, I know that models are models and usually not real horseback riders. She's looking a little coy, sure. She's standing in maybe a not "traditional" way, but heck, I do the same. And you bet I wear shorts and tanks when it's hot and the farrier is coming, maybe I'll get a better deal! (mostly kidding ) Should girls be sex objects? God no. But if you have a great smile, aren't you going to smile a lot? If you have a great butt, heck, wear those pants!

        I had a conversation with my mother the other day along these lines. She was upset about the ceo of Abercrombie saying something about not wanting to make clothes for heavier people. I get it, that's not fair. But if you're so heavy that you actually can't find a size in many stores, that's a health issue. And America has a weight problem. That's not really okay. I don't believe stores should discriminate, but then again doesn't "fuller fillies" discriminate against skinny females?

        And going on a side-rant (hopefully people don't attack too much), we should all aim to be healthy and in shape. Period. I get really sick of people talking about "normal" if they are in fact obese. Having extra cushion is great, I'm all for it. Bring on the curves. But, there is a limit to that. I don't like being discriminated against because I work out a lot and try to skip the late night meal. When I feel in shape and healthy, I feel happier. If I can pull off the look in that ad, I'm going to dang well try!!

        It's a great marketing ad. The woman looks great, the pants look pretty cool, I actually really love the shirt. It's not very horse-y, no. That is the odd part. But it got us talking! You know the brand now if you didn't before.
        Yes, America has a weight problem. But there are way too many places that it is difficult to buy nice clothing that fits if you are female and NOT skinny and/or are over a certain height, or are male and are under a certain height or weight. I am speaking as a person who is not obese but still has to physically try on clothes and not order them from a catalog to be sure they fit, in part because we have these stupid women's sizes which vary so widely and hardly ever get actual measurements, but also because some stores cater to only certain sized people. I know I am not alone in that and that other non-obese people have the same problem.

        Let Abercrombie not make the clothes. I am sure another retailer will be glad to pick up that money for them, the customers will find that company eventually. I personally never saw them make anything you couldn't get somewhere else anyway.
        America dialed 911. Donald Trump answered the phone.

        Stop pumping money into colleges and start getting ready to earn money in the projected tradesman shortage of 2024. Make Trades Great Again!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by RubyTuesday View Post
          Yes, America has a weight problem. But there are way too many places that it is difficult to buy nice clothing that fits if you are female and NOT skinny and/or are over a certain height, or are male and are under a certain height or weight. I am speaking as a person who is not obese but still has to physically try on clothes and not order them from a catalog to be sure they fit, in part because we have these stupid women's sizes which vary so widely and hardly ever get actual measurements, but also because some stores cater to only certain sized people. I know I am not alone in that and that other non-obese people have the same problem.

          Let Abercrombie not make the clothes. I am sure another retailer will be glad to pick up that money for them, the customers will find that company eventually. I personally never saw them make anything you couldn't get somewhere else anyway.
          I do agree with this. I hope my first post didn't sound arrogant, I just wanted to point out those sides. I am certainly not a size 0 and will never be, but I want to eliminate both extremeists views if that makes sense

          Comment


          • Oy, the Ambercrombie CEO calling people fat and ugly, meanwhile he looks like a half melted mannaquin.

            I like seeing real people in ads, especially in equestrian ads. For whatever reason, it has the opposite affect on me than what marketers would think - I want to buy something that isn't on a size 4, 16 year old model. I'm always skeptical of what it will look like on me when all I see is a model, since I am "plus size" at 5'7" and a size 10, at least by the fashion industry standards.

            Better yet, cut out the model all together and just show an image of the article of clothing.

            Comment


            • I'm a mother of three girls, ages 23, 18 & 17. I've always been concerned about the culture of sexuality that they're exposed to every day. It takes vigilance to raise children (especially girls) in this world . I'm much more worried about the clothing that's marketed to pre-teens & teens, what's on tv and the internet, don't even get me started on music lyrics. THIS ad is NOT what I worry about. I'm really surprised that some people find it offensive. I simply don't get it.
              "We're still right, they're still wrong" James Carville

              Comment


              • A number of you have said it very well: it's the culture of sexualizing women and girls in EVERY aspect of their life, up to and including going to the barn, that is now so normal people don't even get it.

                Yeah, try the pose in your normal every day interactions. Teach your little girls this is what they're supposed to do.

                This helps make the point: http://cheezburger.com/7443388416

                Comment


                • Originally posted by HungarianHippo View Post
                  For all of us saying "they don't know their market! Who are they marketing to??" --umm, yes they do, in somewhat alarming detail (thanks to Facebook, Google, and every other internet sites that track our every click and eyeball movement, and sell that data). That the ad turns you off, chances are you are simply not the market they're going for. Young, affluent women are marketing gold-- no mortgages or kids to make them think twice about splurging on breeches that will make them look good, or because last year's breeches look a little passe because of the pocket embroidery.
                  I'm of course exaggerating their foolishness, but surely you can agree that impulsive buyers who value looking cute are a more lucrative demographic than mature, sensible, more conservative women who value practicality, durability, fit.

                  BUT, in glancing at the online catalog to see the picture, I did come across this one that looks eggregiously photoshopped to make her waist impossibly skinny. Or else she has a serious problem with spinal curvature.
                  Now THAT does tick me off, and I think that stuff does negatively affect young women's self-image.

                  ETA: OK, just to make sure I'm not being a pearl-clutching old biddy, I just went and tried that photoshopped pose. Minus the beautiful long hair, and 18-yr-old body, I did manage to achieve a similar bend in my waist. So, despite being slightly painful, it is physically possible. I hereby retract my accusation of photoshopping. So glad no one was home to see me doing that. HA!
                  I agree that it is physically possible.
                  I have wider hips on a thin frame with a very small waist, so if I make one hip even with my rib cage such that there is a straight line, there is a similar curve on the other side.
                  The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                  Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                  Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                  The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by PeteyPie View Post
                    All I can say is, for those of you who think the pose is benign, put yourself in that exact same pose, looking over your shoulder with your hair down, same down-tilt of the head and same smile, and perform that pose aimed at your vet. Or your farrier. Or the clerk at the feed store. Or any adult who is not your SO. Because it is just the cute, normal way you always interact with people, right?

                    As for those who say it is not that bad, I agree, in the sense that it is in line with what you would see in a Target ad. But it is also a statement of the way we are inundated with women posed as sex objects to the point where it is normal and unremarkable. Maybe that is what the OP was getting at; that and the idea that a horse tack catalog would seem to be a bastion against the unrelenting deluge of that kind of marketing.
                    Well if I looked like the gal in the catalog, I might try it, except for the feed store clerk who's a woman. But if my 60 year old short fat self tried it, they'd think I had lost my mind. Now I have noticed if I take my cute, shapely 16 yo daughter to the feed store, the young men who work there fall all over themselves trying to help me. Same thing at restaurants with young male waitstaff, if DD is with me, my drink glass and bread bowl are constantly being refilled.
                    I'm a second hand Vegan. Cows eat grass. I eat cows.

                    Comment


                    • And the young men fall over themselves because she's a cute 16yo, right? She doesn't need to simper & pose, she just needs to be a real girl.

                      Or are you telling us that she does stick her butt out, look over her shoulder, tuck her chin, and flip her hair, hmmm?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by RubyTuesday View Post
                        I don't know that all of your logic is sound here...there are several clothing catalogs, at least one horse-related that I know of and probably more, that have built their business on selling to clients who are NOT young/sexy/skinny...who use models that are "just like them" but also have the clothing line geared toward those people. If a person does not fit the clothes like the model, they will not be able to buy and wear the clothing being modeled no matter how much they might want to...they're going to have to buy something that FITS. The average mature woman will usually not be able to buy something geared toward a skinny teeny-bopper and have it fit.

                        Several major retailers have made a hell of a lot of money by realizing this.
                        Yes, there are “niche” markets for plus sized, mature, teens etc. Dover is a big player in the horse retail world, a Macy’s of equestrians you could say. Just like Macy’s, while they may have some models in various sizes etc (Dover has kids, males, a few mature women on their pages), the majority of their marketing follows the traditional format, of attracting the largest market with what is most universally appealing, a young, attractive female.

                        My mother recently bought a Martha Stewart magazine subscription for me (gee thanks mom) – and as soon as my address was entered into that circulation – the catalogs started. One features “dresses” (the non PC term would be moo moos), and terrible house clothes. I imagine the target market is women with plenty of idle time to spend in oversized sun dresses. They have not sexed up the models – the target audience is fairly small for this specialty retailer, and they are marketing accordingly.

                        If the appeal of the model, played no role in sales, why wouldn’t all of the catalogs just show us a picture, waist down, front and back, of breeches all on the same mannequin? They stage these photos as they do, because the photo, the model, the imagine that they are portraying affects our buying decisions.
                        APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by BEARCAT View Post
                          But, but, that's what I don't really get. Even though I don't see anything wrong with that particular picture except for the fact that it does not especially makes me want to browse the catalogue, Dover's target market is not MEN! I would think the vast majority of their products are sold to women! And that most of these women would rather have a sexy TB or a hunky WB or a cute pony on the cover!
                          Women are actually the target of photos using especially emaciated models as they (shown by studies) don't like to buy clothes from photos using average-size women (let alone plus-size models with plus-size clothes.) Men tend to prefer (again tested in studies) women a bit more amply endowed up top and below ('hourglass', see why VS uses larger-chested or enhanced models to make men look.)

                          My objection to the photo is she's crushing her chin against her shoulder and looks like she has no neck. Also, the shirt looks wrinkly.
                          Author Page
                          Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                          Steampunk Sweethearts

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by HungarianHippo View Post
                            For all of us saying "they don't know their market! Who are they marketing to??" --umm, yes they do, in somewhat alarming detail (thanks to Facebook, Google, and every other internet sites that track our every click and eyeball movement, and sell that data). That the ad turns you off, chances are you are simply not the market they're going for. Young, affluent women are marketing gold-- no mortgages or kids to make them think twice about splurging on breeches that will make them look good, or because last year's breeches look a little passe because of the pocket embroidery.
                            I'm of course exaggerating their foolishness, but surely you can agree that impulsive buyers who value looking cute are a more lucrative demographic than mature, sensible, more conservative women who value practicality, durability, fit.

                            BUT, in glancing at the online catalog to see the picture, I did come across this one that looks eggregiously photoshopped to make her waist impossibly skinny. Or else she has a serious problem with spinal curvature.
                            Now THAT does tick me off, and I think that stuff does negatively affect young women's self-image.

                            ETA: OK, just to make sure I'm not being a pearl-clutching old biddy, I just went and tried that photoshopped pose. Minus the beautiful long hair, and 18-yr-old body, I did manage to achieve a similar bend in my waist. So, despite being slightly painful, it is physically possible. I hereby retract my accusation of photoshopping. So glad no one was home to see me doing that. HA!
                            Actually looking at the shadow and the edge of the shirt, you were right the first time. She's 'shopped there, probably to make it skinnier and to fix bunching/wrinkling that pose would actually cause.
                            Author Page
                            Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                            Steampunk Sweethearts

                            Comment


                            • It just looks a bit silly to me, especially for the cover of a tack store. I tossed it right in the recycling bin. At least the ones with horses on the cover I tend to glance at. Now if they put Nacho Figueras (SP.?) shirtless on the cover with the same pose I would probably put it on the fridge!

                              Comment


                              • Shhhhh! Don't tell the grumpy women about the Piper ad on the top right with the 2 women and the dog!

                                Yeah Nachos can sell anything!

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by tangledweb View Post
                                  Well I was certainly disappointed after eagerly rushing to my mailbox to get the racy Dover catalogue with much talked about new centerfold section. Instead I got a regular Dover catalogue with perfectly respectable cover. I think some people in this thread should get off that mailing list and sign up for these folk's catalogue. http://gothicgarments.com/menu3/index.html It might be more your speed.
                                  OMG!!! I just laughed so hard I saw stars! (And my shoulder hurts!) Totally not expecting that. Thank you!
                                  Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

                                  Comment


                                  • Hey, not to get off topic, but whoever's in charge of shirts, I'd really like a "Canoe Buddies" or "Always Practice Safe Canoeing" shirt.
                                    Adversity is the stone on which I sharpen my blade.

                                    Comment


                                    • Oh, the outrage! How DARE she look over shoulder and grin whilst being attractive and fully clothed! Be sure to write to your representatives in Congress! And the pope! And all of the media! Maybe we can stage a mass burning of all the offensive catalog covers. For the children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                      Topline Leather -- Bespoke, handwoven browbands & accessories customized with Swarovski crystals, gemstones, & glass seed beads. The original crystal braid & crystal spike browbands!

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by hundredacres View Post
                                        Oy, the Ambercrombie CEO calling people fat and ugly, meanwhile he looks like a half melted mannaquin.

                                        I like seeing real people in ads, especially in equestrian ads. For whatever reason, it has the opposite affect on me than what marketers would think - I want to buy something that isn't on a size 4, 16 year old model. I'm always skeptical of what it will look like on me when all I see is a model, since I am "plus size" at 5'7" and a size 10, at least by the fashion industry standards.

                                        Better yet, cut out the model all together and just show an image of the article of clothing.

                                        I love it when they show the employees and their horses! Let the employees "model" and save a few bucks.

                                        Comment


                                        • Over-react much, Frizzle?

                                          I totally get the idea that some people would much rather see a horse or a horse & rider on the cover of a tack catalog; that it used to be the one place where attractive women were depicted as simply women, without always being portrayed as flirty.

                                          PeteyPie said it so well: "But it is also a statement of the way we are inundated with women posed as sex objects to the point where it is normal and unremarkable. Maybe that is what the OP was getting at; that and the idea that a horse tack catalog would seem to be a bastion against the unrelenting deluge of that kind of marketing."

                                          And Gestalt: "Once again my point is lost. I'm not jealous of the model, I'm not clutching my pearls...."

                                          And SharonA: "I did, just because to me the model looks like she's trying to be cute and sexy (and an airhead) and I do not want my adolescent daughter confusing horse time with being cute and sexy (and an airhead). I want her riding to be a respite from all that stuff, where it's just about her and the pony."

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X