• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How long after losing your heart horse did it take for you to get another horse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long after losing your heart horse did it take for you to get another horse?

My mare passed away before I found another horse. She took another fall and her injures were to much for her to have a comfortable life as a pasture puff. I never found a second horse before her passing, so I abandoned the idea of another horse. She was my heart horse and I was completely heart broken.

So I was wondering, how long did it take for you to get another horse?
    My Blog - http://snootyfillyblog.weebly.com/

Exactly one month + one day. I began looking immediately. Best thing I ever did. Hurts just as much either way, so better to cry with a new one than without.

Comment

Having my new horse pulled me through the loss of my mare two years ago. I would not have been able to do it without him.
      Piaffe Girl -- Dressage. Fashionably.
      http://piaffegirl.wordpress.com/
      https://www.facebook.com/PiaffeGirl

Comment

I lost my heart horse a little over 20 years ago. I've had horses I've loved, but never like him. To this day my eyes tear up when I think about him...it still hurts.

Comment

First, I am so sorry for your loss. I've been there too, with a beloved mare, KC, who was taken in the prime of her life by founder. A barnmate wisely counseled me that my heart would be empty without a horse to fill that space. My new horse, for whom I began searching maybe a month after my first mare's death, never took the space of my old mare but moved into her very own spot. For me, having that new but very different life with which to interact was key in my grieving process.

I know a lot of people feel differently, and that's okay, because we all process experiences in our own way, in our own time. I admit that I had worried that I'd end up feeling like a traitor to KC, as if New mare, Lily, was a replacement. But I never did feel that way, without even having to try. If you can think of your heart as having unlimited space for love, you won't worry about it.
          "The slogan will take you like lemmings to the cliff. You'll feel better than ever, and into the abyss... There'll be no more war, there'll be no more choice." PiL

Comment

Eight months after he died, but I don't know if I will find another like him. I needed to have a horse in my life. She is a good girl and as time goes on I know I will stop comparing her to him.
            Hillary Rodham Clinton - the peoples choice for president.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

I think that the main reason in haven't looked is because I don't want to compare another horse to her. She was everything I wanted and more. A week after her passing, someone had listed on my local cl a mare with nearly identical markings. It broke my heart even more.

My family has been trying to get me to sell my trailer and tack and forget about then whole horse thing, but that is where my heart lies.
              My Blog - http://snootyfillyblog.weebly.com/

Comment

I already had other horses, so a little bit different. I think if I hadn't, it would have been a long time before I looked again. But I would have looked again.
                I think storing your stuff rather than selling is the way to go, buying everything again is expensive

Originally posted by SnootyFilly View Post
                . A week after her passing, someone had listed on my local cl a mare with nearly identical markings. It broke my heart even more.
                I also had a mare in foal with my 'next' horse, as my oldie was being retired (sadly he didn't get that chance).
                Re: your quote above. The foal that arrived looks so much like my old horse, almost identical colour and markings (flaxen chestnut with chrome), I'm not going to keep her (for various reasons but the similarity is one of them) and I feel bad about it.
                I am keeping a different filly instead that is nothing like my old horse in appearance or anything else, and dont compare them as they are apples and oranges. But I love her SO MUCH (really, a scary amount) that I would say there is always more of your heart to give.

Comment

I had another horse (a gelding) when I lost my beloved mare, but it took years before I found another mare.
                  “Pray, hope, and don't worry.”

St. Padre Pio

Comment

For me personally, a month was WAY too soon after my heart horse died, and I wish I hadn't done it. That horse is now gone, and in all honesty right now I still feel like I really don't EVER want another one.
                    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

I already had a second horse when I lost my heart horse. The unfortunate part was that I was living in FL for grad school while he was in PA. It made losing him that much more difficult. At that point, I wasn't riding because I was finishing my thesis and was close to graduation. It took me 6 years after grad school to finally look for another horse. I'm now back to two horses, but one is in PA while the most recent addition (greenie) is here with me in MS.

All three horses were/are different, but similar in ways too. All boys and all May babies (dumb luck). I think my greenie is more similar to my heart horse. He loves playing games and occasionally does stupid stuff, but will save my butt if needed. But they all hold different places in my heart.
                      My May boys: Beau , Neon, Criss

Comment

I got my next horse before I lost my heart horse. I knew that even if I could make him pasture sound, he would be retired. Sadly, I had to let him go. Cushings and founder.

I knew I couldn't be without a horse so I bought a 2 year old prospect before Rocket died. It helped tremendously for my heart, for my health, for something positive to work toward while I was nursing Rocket thru his last days.

The new horse was not 'instead of Rocket' but in addition too. I have never actually replaced Rocket. But having another horse to work with helped me move on and stay active.

My heart goes out to you...it is so hard, especially when you don't have time to prepare for it they way I did. I spent 2 years trying to save Rocket. I was sad that I never felt about the new horse the way I felt about Rocket...our bond was just so special. The new horse didn't work out but I kept him anyway. He's a pasture puff now. My using horse is becoming very special to me but I don't feel that bond that Rocket and I had. I love him very much tho and am blessed to have had Rocket AND my Harry.

(((hugs)))
                        Ride like you mean it.

Comment

I have found with both my dogs and my horses, you never replace them, you just add them to your family.

I do compare any horse to my heart horse who I refer to as "the gold standard" but they are all unique and fill your life in different ways.

I would strongly suggest you do NOT sell anything yet. When it was time to retire my HH I told myself I was done with riding and showing. That lasted about a year! Back to doing it all again, it is just part of who you are
                          "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." --Ghandi

Comment

I already had two others when I lost my boy, otherwise I'm not sure I would have gotten another right away. The two I had left did help keep me in horses.

I have another gelding now. Neither the same color nor even the same breed. JJ is nothing like Conny in looks or temperament, but he's the best horse for where I am now in my life. He'll never be Conny, but he has his own special place in my heart, as do the other two.

My deepest, most heartfelt condolences. It's so very hard to lose any of them, but a heart horse is even worse.
                            Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Comment

About 4 years.

After Sunshine died, I was NOT READY to go horse shopping.

But I did want to ride.

A lease opportunity fell into my lap, which I took advantage of, learned a lot from, and had a lot of fun with, but knew I was not keeping.

After 2 years I sarted looking for a new horse, and found Music (who was not even born when I started looking) 2 years later.
                              Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

For me it was about a year. And I cried on the way to the barn the day she was delivered. Because I wanted my Paint Pony back instead.

I'm pretty my sure current horse thought her name was "Not Paint Pony" for quite a while.

I do love her, but not in the same way. And that's OK. I just focus on the things that are great about her (she's easier to ride) and I keep the Paint Pony and her antics in my heart.

Just give yourself time. It's different for everyone.

ETA: I did actually have another horse at the time. He was retired and living about an hour away at a retirement farm. I didn't want anything to do with him for a while. Mostly because he was "old" and I wished it had been him. I know that's a terrible thing to say, but it's true. I really resented him for a long time.

(Which really did end up being a long time - he lived until age 32! And yes, I really did love him too )
                                Last edited by PaintPony; May. 9, 2013, 12:20 PM.

Comment

I lost my two geldings two weeks apart. The first one was my amazing show horse that died suddenly of colic. Then two weeks later I lost my young homebred gelding that was like my child. I still had two pasture pet mares but it wasn't the same. I bought my current gelding 1 month later and have NO regrets. He did not ease my heartbreak but he sure gave me something to look forward to everyday.!!
                                  RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
                                  May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
                                  RIP San Lena Peppy
                                  May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Comment

Never did. Lost Hizzhonor after 18 short years together. The pain was so great I swore off horses for a while..

its been 5 1/2 years since that day. Still cannot see another horses here.
                                    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart

Comment

I already had my second horse when my heart horse died suddenly. I'm glad Freedom was already mine because I don't think I could have gone out horse shopping and I might have regretted whatever I bought.

I have two friends who bought too soon and they never clicked with their new horses, who suffered from comparison.

Freedom missed Kroni too so the two of us grieved together. He's not the same as Kroni but I've come to love him as much in a different way.
                                      Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                                      EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

About two years.

I have never bonded with current horse like I did with my heart horse, and in a way he found me. In so many ways he is actually a more suitable horse, but it still isn't the same.

But it really has worked out well for him. He is a quiet steady type who loves to jump, and a couple of kids at our barn enjoy riding and showing him, so I spoil him and they play with him. Guess it all works out pretty well
                                        \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Comment

Working...
                                        X