• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Too sick to even comment

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jenm View Post
    Transportation is NOT a straw man argument. The AVMA, which just so happens to be PRO slaughter, states why double deckers should not be used for hauling horses:

The AVMA believes trailers on the road containing two or more levels to transport horses are not adequately equipped to humanely meet the space needs of a horse based on the following observations:

A horse needs a minimum of 7 to 8 feet of height per level to have the ability to fully raise its head while standing

If such a conveyance was designed with two levels at the minimum height requirement for humane transport, the trailer would be at least 14 feet tall without taking into account the height added by tires

The maximum height of a trailer on interstate highways in urban areas is 14 Feet and 16 feet in rural areas

No trailer with two or more levels that meets the minimum height requirements of humane transport would clear a bridge in an urban environment and most likely not clear a bridge in a rural environment

Do you not consider the AVMA to be a credible source for information?

So much for your claim that horses are fine standing around with their heads at the same height as their withers.
    Are you sure you copied that right?

Stock trailers are generally 6' to 6 1/2' tall and horses travel fine in them all day, even very big horses.
    Ranch horses are at times packed in there like sardines and get off fine.

I think we need to quit thinking horses are humans, because they are not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluey View Post
      I cannot imagine how some can use this horrific accident for their anti slaughter agenda.
      You mean your surprised? I fully saw it coming when I saw the original post.
      Any means to start a new one. Since the last one was closed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sannois View Post
        You mean your surprised? I fully saw it coming when I saw the original post.
        Any means to start a new one. Since the last one was closed.
        well, May is National Masturbation month....

Comment

• The way I see what is going on, there is so much in the world that is good with what we do with animals and some that is not.

Those of us that care for animals should be working on what is good to make it better and on what is not to keep those that are not doing right from it, like BL abusers, bad trainers, educate ignorant horse owners, etc.

I don't understand why some, that say they are for having animals to use, then align themselves with the drives towards eventually eliminating any use of animals by humans.
          Slaughter serves a purpose, always has.
          The only reason there is a drive to ban, now horse slaughter, then other, is because it is one more place for animal rights extremists to have free publicity.

That is also how they gain followers, that gullibly believe them being oh so helpful, while not thinking where letting animal rights extremist with their already amassed fortunes gain any more power is going.

Why help the already behemoth, one of the richest non-profits in the world, that is ultimately after what you supposedly care for, that we have animals to care for, keep gaining even more might, to eventually eliminate all use of animals?

That just has never made any sense to me.

Comment

Stock trailers are generally 6' to 6 1/2' tall and horses travel fine in them all day, even very big horses.

So are Polo Ponies, We used to cram them in on angles so they were First one, head left shove him over next ones head was at the first ones butt, So on and so forth.
            Last edited by Sannois; May. 8, 2013, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• My trailer is 6 1/2 ft tall and my boys are fine in it. I am getting a new one that is 7ft. It's on order and being built so excited! The other trailer is a stock trailer but only 3 horse slant load with dividers.

I don't think this accident was with a double decker though. But anyone else beside pro slaughter able to answer my question about cows on the page before this one? Really am interested in knowing opinions on this. Two others say they are shipped and done the same way. If this is true then why is it right for cows? Man after this I may not eat meat. .
              Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

• If we are to accept what others saw on the video, this wasn't a DD trailer, but a single level.

Just trying to move the conversation onward a bit.

I am sad that there is not some way trailers could be made less flammable, especially with live loads; animals, driver, and other motorists would all benefit from better safety - think of the fuel cell technology used in race cars and what a safety difference they made.

There really is no safe or sane way to unload multiple large animals on a public highway so truck fires should be addressed from an avoidance/interruption of combustion standpoint, not after the animals are trapped in flame.

-And just who is this 'WE' Lady Eboshi keeps referring to as she posts her opinions? Who does she claim to be spokesperson for and how large is her group of WE?

Certainly she is right to post her opinions AS HER OWN, and I hope she begins to do so.

Comment

• Originally posted by D_BaldStockings View Post
                  If we are to accept what others saw on the video, this wasn't a DD trailer, but a single level.

Just trying to move the conversation onward a bit.

I am sad that there is not some way trailers could be made less flammable, especially with live loads; animals, driver, and other motorists would all benefit from better safety - think of the fuel cell technology used in race cars and what a safety difference they made.

There really is no safe or sane way to unload multiple large animals on a public highway so truck fires should be addressed from an avoidance/interruption of combustion standpoint, not after the animals are trapped in flame.

-And just who is this 'WE' Lady Eboshi keeps referring to as she posts her opinions? Who does she claim to be spokesperson for and how large is her group of WE?

Certainly she is right to post her opinions AS HER OWN, and I hope she begins to do so.
                  I saw that too, It was not a double decker, and did it look like it was engulfed in flames? Strange, The men were still standing near it, I wonder what the investigation will show, Cause I would think if the fire was from one of the fuel tanks, well that sucker would not have been still looking almost in tact.
                  What do I know. Edited to add, I take it back, the top and sides are burned off, But seriously it is sitting on its tailgate. To me if it were the passenger fuel tank it would be burnt more in the front, And I think those horses went fast, it has to be really hot to melt metal like that. That is not making it any better, but it would interesting to see what really was the cause of the fire.

Comment

• Originally posted by rabicon View Post
                    My trailer is 6 1/2 ft tall and my boys are fine in it. I am getting a new one that is 7ft. It's on order and being built so excited! The other trailer is a stock trailer but only 3 horse slant load with dividers.

I don't think this accident was with a double decker though. But anyone else beside pro slaughter able to answer my question about cows on the page before this one? Really am interested in knowing opinions on this. Two others say they are shipped and done the same way. If this is true then why is it right for cows? Man after this I may not eat meat. .
                    Yes, cows are shipped as others have posted and killed quickly by captive bolt in most cases. They are subject to the same unease and confusion in strange places as are horses. They are not abstract thinkers and do not 'know' they are going to die in short order.

Most slaughter facilities are built with cattle in mind as they are the dominant(large) animal killed for human consumption in the USA and most of the horse slaughter modified those facilities. Pigs would not be comparable in size or methods for the most part, and poultry not at all; if you want to google.

Why is it right for cows not to wear sheets, blankets or fly masks in pasture, while horses are 'neglected' according to some posters if they are not kitted out in matching wardrobe?

I think the main difference between attitudes toward shipping horses and cattle (to slaughter) is that people accept that cattle truck drivers are just drivers, while if the cargo is horses then the drivers are labeled with every vile epithet a person might have in their vocabulary.

So the difference is partly in the minds and perception of the beholders.

Comment

• Originally posted by jetsmom View Post
                      Oh yes...these people in the slaughter industry are just businessmen, and really do care about animal welfare, and are honest, upstanding citizens...

Poor horses. Godspeed.
                      If I remember correctly, the leader of the pro-slaughter movement, an obscure and ethically-challenged representative from Wyoming, wrote an op-ed titled "Killer Horse Buyers Are Heroes and Saviors" waxing poetic about how awesome those hard workin' folks really are.

Seriously, you can't make this stuff up.

Comment

Read it for yourself. Quite frankly I'm getting tired of you insulting my intelligence.

http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-ne...-trailers.aspx
                        Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
                        http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
                        http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                          Again with bizarre, unnecessary quotes?! Jetsmom nailed it last time.
                          Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
                          http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
                          http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Abercrombie View Post
                            If I remember correctly, the leader of the pro-slaughter movement, an obscure and ethically-challenged representative from Wyoming, wrote an op-ed titled "Killer Horse Buyers Are Heroes and Saviors" waxing poetic about how awesome those hard workin' folks really are.

Oh, really?

Well, here is what an attorney wrote about the very illustrious and honorable president of the largest animal rights extremist groups, with income of millions in donations a year, the group spearheading the drive to ban horse slaughter and so much else we do with our animals:

http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=6510

Comment

• Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                              OMG you are one sick puppy!!!!!! You need to be banned, first it's fake vaginas, and now this? Why, wtf, are you still allowed to post?
                              Last edited by up-at-5; May. 8, 2013, 08:26 PM. Reason: really folks, really?
                              "Anti-intellect and marketing, pretty, pretty, who needs talent
                              Crying eyes, we're so outnumbered, fight for the right to remain silent" Buck 65

Comment

Afraid not. Her comment was simply a figure of speech gleaning to the self gratifying nature that some posters figuratively if you will ,get off on certain macabre topics.

I understood perfectly what she was implying.
                                "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Comment

It's an inside joke!!! The last slaughter thread I stated they were pointless, it was nothing more than mental masturbation!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lynnwood View Post
                                    Afraid not. Her comment was simply a figure of speech gleaning to the self gratifying nature that some posters figuratively if you will ,get off on certain macabre topics.

I understood perfectly what she was implying.
                                    SEE Lynwood gets it!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sannois View Post
                                      It's an inside joke!!! The last slaughter thread I stated they were pointless, it was nothing more than mental masturbation!!
                                      Really, for whom? Certainly not me. Sicko analogy! Sicko, who on earth would put the two together, omg, really??? Slaughter and masturbation, gag gag gag.......
                                      Last edited by up-at-5; May. 8, 2013, 08:45 PM. Reason: addimg an OMG or 6, omg
                                      "Anti-intellect and marketing, pretty, pretty, who needs talent
                                      Crying eyes, we're so outnumbered, fight for the right to remain silent" Buck 65

Comment

• Originally posted by up-at-5 View Post
                                        Really, for whom? Certainly not me. Sicko analogy! Sicko, who on earth would put the two together, omg, really??? Slaughter and masturbation, gag gag gag.......
                                        Apparently it is lost on you, it has nothing to do with the act itself.
                                        Oh brother. Try reading lynwoods answer. Maybe it will sink in. There is nothing sexual about it.

Comment

• Before you start comparing cattle to horses you REALLY need to understand/learn/see etc. that they are COMPLETELY different animals, physically and mentally.

Please, please, please tell you can at least SEE the difference. You could run a razor blade down a bovine's hide and not scratch it, well almost. That's just the difference in the skin, see where I'm going with this.....

Comment

Working...
                                          X