• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Need help knowing what the right thing is to do. update pg 3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help knowing what the right thing is to do. update pg 3

I was hoping that I could get some opinions and support with a difficult decision that I have to make in the next couple of months.

I have a 24 year old mare who has been retired for about 9 years due to an injury. A few years after her retirement, she developed some neurological issues and now can’t move in a straight line and always stands with her hip cocked. She currently lives in the Northeast. I now live in the South.

The summers are pretty good for her. She can’t go straight due to the neurological issues, but she still gets around. She can only turn in one direction but she’s figured it out. She run up the hill and eats grass all day. The last few winters have been okay. Not great, but she’s done okay. I do always worry that she’s going to have an issue with going down on ice and not being able to get back up.

Now, I was happy with the status quo, and would have just left things as they were through another winter – keeping a close eye and being ready to step in if she showed signs of failing. But my issue is that the barn where she is will be sold in the next few months and I need to either move her or put her down.

The issues with moving her are as follows: She never much liked trailering and she hasn’t been off the property in maybe 10 years? She wasn’t a great loader even when she was young. I am hesitant to force her onto a trailer again. I’m not sure how comfortable she’d be trailering with her neuro issues. She stands awkwardly and leans a lot on her stall wall during the night. If I were to move her, I’d prefer to move her close enough to keep an eye on her, rather than keep her many hours away at a place where I don't have any history. I was happy with leaving her where she was because I knew and trusted the people there, but any other place would be unknown to me. I worry about her ability to transition to a new routine and new pasture mates. And every winter I worry that she's going to slip and not be able to get up and then THAT will be the trauma that forces me to make the decision to put her down anyway.

So my options are three:

1) Chose a lovely summer weekend and put her down and bury her on the farm where she’s lived for the last 16 years.
    2) Try to find a place to retire her close to where she is now. I'll still have to trailer her, and I'll be far away.
    3) Move her 18+ hours and try to find a retirement place near to where I am now. I honestly don't know if she can trailer that long any more.

I’m leaning toward the first option. I don’t want her somewhere I don’t know so far away, and I think trying to ship her so far at this age would be cruel.

I just need some support here, I suppose. I think the best thing is to put her down, simply because the other options don’t seem like good ideas. She was doing well in her little routine, but I think that trying to move her at this stage in her life would really affect her. But I keep telling myself that if the barn weren't closing, I wouldn't be making this decision, so does that make it the wrong decision?

Please help me work through this, you guys.
    Last edited by AmmyByNature; May. 6, 2013, 01:13 PM.

I would go with 1. I'm sorry about your predicament, but doing whats less stressful for the mare is what most important in my book. You would hate yourself if something bad happened in one of the moves - or if she couldn't adjust. To me there is no other option.

Oh, and big (((((hugs))))).
    Last edited by hundredacres; May. 2, 2013, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Just because you are forced to make a decision due to the barn closing doesn't mean either choice might be a wrong one: you deal with the hand you are dealt, which has left you two options.

I also would choose #1: the mare will stay comfortable and at ease in her surroundings, and you will have less stress and concern about her adjusting (or not) somewhere new.

You have given her a good life, one many people would not have given her. Rest easy and let her do the same.

Comment

Nice day, bucket of carrots and apples, needle. Horses do not live for the "future". They live in the moment.
        In an age when scientists are creating artificial intelligence, too many of our educational institutions seem to be creating artificial stupidity.—Thomas Sowell, Is Thinking Obsolete?

Comment

Option 1, without a doubt.

It sounds like you've given her a long, happy life and worked to keep her happy and comfortable despite her issues. Trailering a badly neurological horse is not only dangerous and stressful and difficult for the horse--it's dangerous for those people who will be working with her.

Putting her down because the barn is closing and acknowledging that's really the driver here isn't a bad thing. The situation that has made it possible for her to live comfortably is coming to an end. Physically getting her to another barn that can *maybe* give her the support she needs is, at the very least, a really big gamble and very stressful. Not putting her through a move is a kindness.

I'm so sorry you've got to make this decision Go up and see her, give her a big bucket of her favorite treats and tell her how marvelous she's been.

Comment

Can you ask your vet? Because if the vet says that trailering 18 hours is impossible for her you might feel better about choosing Option 1, knowing that you really don't even have three options.
            https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
            Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
            www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

I've got a 28 yr old mare that sounds like she's got very very similar issues as your girl. Hasn't walked a straight line in 3 years, but runs and bucks and plays with 'her' yearlings till her little heart's content. Personally, knowing how HAPPY my girl is, I'd find another retirement farm close by if possible. (Maybe a COTHer can give a reco, if you post where she is currently?) if I couldn't find a new boarding situation that works, then I'd go with option 1. But that's for me and my mare, not necessarily what would work for you. Good luck!
              Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
              www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Comment

I would go for #1. Better a peaceful end than a possibly upsetting trailer ride or change of scenery. So sorry you are facing this.

Comment

I am sorry you're in a position where you have to make such a tough choice and I have a lot of respect for that you've taken great care of her and helped her to be comfortable for nine years post-injury.

If it were me, I would choose option no. 1 and give her a peaceful, comfortable conclusion to the wonderful life you've already given her.

Comment

I would scratch option 3 for all the reasons Simkie mentions. Option 2 is the ideal but may be difficult (or impossible) to implement. You've done well by this horse, and it may be time to say goodbye. Whenever I've had tough choices like this to make, I've done what you are doing and listed and weighed the options. The right choice always seem to surface just in time. I think it also helps that we mentally prepare ourselves by considering the options way in advance.

Comment

I think you know in your heart it's 1 and just need to hear a few times that other good hearted people won't judge you adversely. It's 1, it really is. Sorry you have to go through this.

Comment

Originally posted by SMF11 View Post
                        Can you ask your vet? Because if the vet says that trailering 18 hours is impossible for her you might feel better about choosing Option 1, knowing that you really don't even have three options.
                        This There is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing Option 1 now. But if you are as conflicted as you sound, perhaps ask your vet if trailering for that long is feasible and, if he/she says yes, seeing if you can find a suitable place for her near you. If the answer to either of those questions is no, then the decision for 1 is really made for you.
                        I am not saying there is anything wrong with going with Option 1 without asking those 2 questions, but if it would make you feel more comfortable with Option 1, it may be worth it.
                        There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Comment

#1... Better too soon than too late. I don't envy you at all, but I think the only responsible choice is #1. God forbid she go down in the trailer on the way down, plus I think it would be extremely physically stressful on her to trailer that far.

Only other #2 option I can think of... Do you have any friends or someone you know personally you could board her with for her retirement? Someone you would trust? If not, it's got to be #1. She sounds like someone needs to really keep an eye on her and with you being so far away, I wouldn't board her with a stranger.

Comment

#1.

Sorry you are being forced to make this decision but it sounds like you have given her a great life and why not let her end it while still doing well in the home she loves? Spare her from having to suffer. With her issues, she may find trailering very uncomfortable and have issues adapting to a new environment.
                            Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the supportive comments. I do plan on speaking with the vet, but I wanted to prepare myself for what I think deep down the answer may be.

Please feel free to keep commenting if any of you have anything to add or share. This is very helpful to hear while I make this decision.

Comment

There are threads which I read and feel I would lean away from euthanasia and toward other alternatives, given the described circumstances. Yours is not one of them.

I would worry not only about her surviving the trailering, but also how she would adjust to a different, unfamiliar barn. She sounds quite symptomatic.

How would she be if she had to adjust to other new horses, given her neuro issues? She could be quite vulnerable with any new turnout partners.

How would you find equally trustworthy caretakers as her current ones, especially since you are so far away?

She's had a nice, long retirement but she seems to be declining a bit anyway, since you said she is having increasing difficulties each winter.

Hugs to you, whatever you decide. You have my admiration for thinking this out well in advance.
                                If thou hast a sorrow, tell it not to the arrow, tell it to thy saddlebow, and ride on, singing. -- King Alfred the Great

Comment

I'm not disagreeing with option #1.
                                  If I had to do the other two I'd
                                  -break up the trailering into a several day trip
                                  - move her to wherever her best horse friend moves. I think the horse social needs are always a factor. But the BFF horse friends layout would need to be compatible.

Sorry that you have to make this decision.

Comment

Just tossing it out there - can you play it by ear, re: the selling? In this market, with cautious financers, farms are taking a while to sell. It could be that the farm won't even sell this year. So you can let her hang out all summer/fall, and reevaluate right before winter. Worst case scenario? You get your 30 days notice that the barn is actually closing, and you do it during those 30 days.

Of course, if the barn is already sold/waiting on paperwork, and you do have a definite "move out by" date, then I'd go with Option #1.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallycairn View Post
                                      How would she be if she had to adjust to other new horses, given her neuro issues? She could be quite vulnerable with any new turnout partners.
                                      I think this is a very good point.

I imagine the life for a horse that is impaired neurologically to the point where the hind end doesn't follow the front has to be inherently stressful. These are prey animals we're talking about, and perhaps I am taking their cognitive ability too far, but I would think that such an obvious sign of weakness and lameness would make them hyper vigilant for predators or threats, as, after all, a horse that impaired would be easy picking out in the wild.

You mare, having been at the same barn for SO long, might have very little anxiety about her impairment and lameness because she is very comfortable with the location and her friends.

Moving her--even a short move, and even with some of the same pasture mates--might really kick in a high level of anxiety over safety for her. I am reminded of elderly people who are able to hide and compensate for some pretty severe dementia or Alzheimers, until circumstances force them to move. Familiar surroundings often enable them to cope quite well, and really hide the degree of mental impairment, but when they move, they often take a huge nosedive in their ability to function and live on their own. I know we're not talking about dementia in your horse, and horses are not people, but I do think it's important to consider your girl's stress level and potential coping skills she's built at her current home that might might lose moved elsewhere.

I also have a retired neurological horse. Mine is minimally impaired right now, and we will see how she progresses as she ages. I am not looking forward to having to make these decisions for her, either, but I do firmly believe that it is always better a month too early than a day too late. If your girl fell in the trailer or went downhill drastically in a new home, could you forgive yourself? I'm sorry to be grim, but those are the questions I would be asking myself.

I wish you the best of luck, ABN, and I am very sorry you're faced with this decision. I wish it were easier

Comment

She's had a nice long retirement ... her issues are mostly manageable but
                                        she's having more issues as time passes and she's not going to get better.
                                        It sounds as though they have gradually been worsening.

I do not blame you for not wanting to move her to an unknown farm when
                                        you are so far away and can't drop in to check on things every so often.

I would not trailer a nuerological horse very far - maybe 1/2 hour tops. But
                                        no way 18 hours.

The only thing I can suggest to you other than option #1 is to see if the current
                                        barn owners can recommend a farm nearby. They may have connections
                                        that you do not. Also, check with your vet - s/he may know of someplace
                                        suitable. If neither pan out, then you know you'll have no other option.

{{hugs}}

Comment

Working...
                                        X