• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What material is best for coolers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What material is best for coolers?

My gelding ripped his cooler to shreds a few weeks back, and I'm looking to replace it. I don't exactly need something that buckles or fastens, as this one will not be used as a blanket liner like the last one was (he was getting too warm with it on, even being outside 24/7) so I'd just like something I can throw over him during warm-up/cooling down and after bathing.

I was thinking about just buying a large piece of material at the local craft store, cutting it to kind of shape him better. If it turns out more costly than buying a cooler with all the fastenings, then I'll just go that route instead.

I've seen wool and fleece coolers. Which is best? And would any piece of fleece from, say, Wal-Mart, work?
    Originally posted by katarine
    I don't want your prayers, tiny cow.
    Originally posted by Pat9
    When it's time for a horse to go to a new person, that person will appear. It's pony magic.

I have a nice jersey cooler from Horseware that was like $30 at Dover. And a really nice Centaur fleece that I got from Horseloverz also for $30:

http://www.horseloverz.com/Dress/615...ece-Sheet.html

for some reason this week it's $49. Whatever. Still worth it!
    Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
    you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

• Original Poster

I wasn't asking where to buy them as I already know that, lol, I was asking what material would be best for one if I want to go get the material and "make" one myself.
      When it's time for a horse to go to a new person, that person will appear. It's pony magic.

Comment

I personally prefer a good quality medium to heavy weight wool. I hate the way the fleece and jersey ones cling and wool lasts for-freakin-ever... My quarter sheet is going at least 15 years old.

Comment

Wool is my preference then I'd choose fleece but both need to be the heavyweight kind. Definitely not cotton!! The fleece I've seen at Walmart is super thin - not what I would use.
          "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Comment

I've had good luck with wool blankets from Goodwill
            I wasn't always a Smurf
            Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
            "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
            The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

I bought a couple of amazing 100% virgin wool blankets at a military surplus store (sorry, I can't remember the name but it seems like it was in VT or NH somewhere)...I LOVE them. I didn't cut them or anything, they are perfect for my horses that normally wear a 76-78 blanket (4 out of 6 of my horses are the same size!). Anyway, they are nay blue, VERY soft and I use 4" blanket pins to secure them at the chest. I know they weren't over $30...maybe even $20.

I plan on buying a fleece from the same store (when I find the receipt so I know where it is!), to use for warmer weather.

ETA: I found the link to the exact blanket but they are sold out ....they are awesome and a little more than I thought but still half the price of a CHEAP cooler! http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/longer-na...ets-p2376.aspx

Comment

Wool ~

Wool !
                Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

For cooling out a hot horse on a cold day, I vote fleece. It probably doesn't last as long as wool, but I can deal with replacing every few years if it serves its purpose. It seems to wick water pretty well. I like that fleece blankets do kind of cling and shape the horse. If they are hot and sweaty or have just been bathed on a cold day, I want them warm! Wool just kind of hangs off of them.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Comment

Wool!!7

Comment

Originally posted by Angelico View Post
                      Wool just kind of hangs off of them.
                      Not all wool, and definitely not the wool that I linked above - it has a soft, soft hand and clings nicely on the horse. Hair does stick to it though!

Comment

I use acrylic for our coolers. We use our coolers almost daily in this kind of weather, and with sweaty horses, that means 3-5 coolers get used each day. The acrylic does pull the sweat off, and using two in layers, will dry a wet horse nicely. Depends on how hairy the horse is, how many coolers he needs to get dried fully, so he can be left uncovered. We don't clip anyone, so these are fully winter-hairy horses to dry off after work. They live outside during the days, need what hair they have.

The acrylic dries fast after getting sweat pulled off and then hung up for drying. They also wash and dry fast in the machines, because with that much use they need weekly washing. Easy care is HUGE with me, in choices of my horse clothing used as much as these coolers are.

Wool is great stuff, but it needs extra care to keep it nice, can't go thru the washer and dryer like the acrylics can.

And for cheap, I bought acrylic blankets, king size, added chest strings and use them in our cooler collection. They work just fine, were a lot cheaper than "horse" coolers, though they are the same material. If you don't want to sew strings on, those spring clamps at the hardware store are fine to close the chest and keep coolers on with. This big size fits our 17h horses, who wear 84" blankets, come down to cover both sides, up the neck and belly with a strap.

One horse also needs an elastic surcingle because he wiggles a lot while drying, so his coolers slide off sideways. I just redid the elastic in a surcingle that had died of old age, no stretch left. JoAnne fabric had some new packages of 4" wide elastic, 2yds long, for $5 and change. I sewed on the end clips I had already, for fastening the surcingle, using the old ends. It works great, plenty of stretch. A lot less expensive than buying new surcingles!!

I don't use the fleecy coolers because they hold onto sawdust, shavings, hay leaves, and don't want to let it go! I don't have that issue with the acrylics. Even if I drop them in the sawdust, a flip will get most things snapped off.

Comment

Looooove real, heavy wool coolers. Damned near impossible to find anymore, although you can often find really nice wool blankets at the army surplus store.

Comment

Wool. I've got a wool dress sheet probably 40+ years old that's still going strong. And between the wool cooler and the fleece cooler, the wool performs better.

Comment

Hate wool, pain to clean, smells funky if not totally dry when stored.

I'd go fleece but even at speciality fabric stores have never seen the thick fleece that the rambo and centaur coolers are made of.

I posted links because I would think between time, gas, and actual material it would just be cheaper to buy a $30 cooler.
                              Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                              you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

Wool. It's a natural fiber, comes in a bunch of different weights.

I've got dress sheets & day rugs that RARELY ever get used (they are also wool) - but many, many years ago I bought a tropical weight, BIG square wool cooler (it's Triple Crown brand) and have used it a million times on all different sizes of critters.

Yes, wool can be a pain to clean - you can't just toss it in the washing machine with hot water or throw it in the dryer (it will felt & shrink) - but you can cram it into a washtub of cold water with a blob of Orvis, soak it, scrub at any stained spots, press out all water, and hang it to dry. I haven't had to wash mine very often because it's a cooler and no one is wearing it when they could roll it in, etc. As I think about it, I don't remember washing it but one time in all these years.

PS - I do work in fiber and so am admittedly biased...

Comment

One of the major reasons wool is better is because it retains warmth when wet. A cooler vents moisture away from the horse and gets wet in the process so unless you switch off coolers, your horse might get chilled in wet fleece or acrylic in cold weather. I tend to use fleece everyday but I will switch to a second cooler when one is wet. I love my wool one but hate trying to clean them so I use them more sparingly.

If your willing to invest in a good one consider a bucas power. Thenwork great are way easier to take care of and are antibacterial which means anti stink. I use mine to trailer all the time and I love is under a rug if the horse wasn't totally dry when turned out. If I could only have one cooler I'd go with wool though.

Comment

Originally posted by Corky View Post
                                    One of the major reasons wool is better is because it retains warmth when wet. A cooler vents moisture away from the horse and gets wet in the process so unless you switch off coolers, your horse might get chilled in wet fleece or acrylic in cold weather. I tend to use fleece everyday but I will switch to a second cooler when one is wet. I love my wool one but hate trying to clean them so I use them more sparingly.
                                    This water removal from the horse, goes to the outside layer, right thru two acrylic coolers. When most of the top of the outside cooler looks "frosty", then it is time to remove it from the horse and hang to dry. The actual fabric isn't wet, but you need to dry the cooler of the frost stuff. The inside cooler that was covered, is NOT wet yet. But if horse isn't dry, that second cooler will also get "frosted" with pulling off the moisture. So it will need hanging to dry as well.

Usually by then, most of our horses are pretty dry, so they don't need another cooler. The one VERY hairy horse, could need a third cooler to finish drying, but he thinks he still lives in Canada, has enough hair for 2 horses. They are stalled wearing their coolers, not ever turned out with "clothing" on. Coolers DO NEED the weekly washing, since they will pick up the sweat and get stinky while drying the horses.

We have wool coolers for use in the carriage, for Turnout classes they used to be required. However I think the wool coolers have only been used on the horses about 3 times in the LONG time we owned them. Usually get used as lap robes to keep US warm. They have been washed once or twice, but it is a PITA to be so careful with them. I don't do hand washing very often, and sure won't be doing it weekly to keep our daily use coolers clean and non-smelly!

Wool is a lovely fabric, and I like sheep, been a sheep owner, so we support the wool industry when we can! Wool just isn't going to work for us in a daily setting. Guess our horses sweat harder, get stinky working, than other cooler users horses do. And dealing in volume horse cooling, with multiple coolers for each horse, keeping them clean is a job that is LOTS easier using our acrylic coolers. Some of our stash of coolers are from a retired Standardbred owner selling out, and those folks WORK their horses every day, wash and cool them out with numbers of coolers layered on the horses. Trophy coolers they win are acrylics, just because they are so much easier to use and clean, than wool coolers.

The wool coolers are great, but stay mostly put away here. Only get them out for good looks at a show or competition. Not put on the horses!

Comment

It is true that wool retains heat even when wet, but it's not a very efficient moisture-wicker, it mostly just gets wet and stays wet. If your goal is to dry your horse out, these people sell moisture-wicking fabrics: http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Wickaway-Fabrics

they'll actually suck the water off the horse and pull it to the outside of the fabric. Depending on how big your horse is and which material you select (I'd go for polartec powerdry myself), it'll cost under $20 to get enough for a cooler.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by goodhors View Post

ETA: I found the link to the exact blanket but they are sold out ....they are awesome and a little more than I thought but still half the price of a CHEAP cooler! http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/longer-na...ets-p2376.aspx
                                        That^^ link isn't working.

Wendy - I will check out that link you gave.

I don't bathe my horse in the winter, so a cooler then would just be used for warming up/cooling down during riding.
                                        During the spring & summer is when I'd use it to help dry faster after bathing. Although usually I just let him graze in the sun if it's warm enough.

Comment

Working...
                                        X