• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Does your horse have a different personality in the winter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your horse have a different personality in the winter?

I have a coming 5 year old Connemara X gelding who is the most chill guy starting in April. For the past 2 winters I've brought him to an Indoor for the winter and he's a bit of a basket case. It's been two different indoors. In the winter he's tense and looky and not much fun to ride.

The minute I get him home to his regular barn he's chill as can be.

I think the biggest difference is at "home" he has 24x7 turnout. The paddocks aren't huge, but he can just get out and wander a bit when he needs to.

It makes me wonder if all those tightly wound dressage horses out there would be so much easier to ride if they lived outside...

Does your horse undergo a personality transplant in the winter?
    ==================
    Somehow my inner ten year old seems to have stolen my chequebook!

http://reriderandpony.blogspot.com/

Yes, my happy, fancy dressage horse/puppy dog hybrid becomes more like a paranoid jerk that can be a fancy dressage horse if you fold his neuroses up in the right way. Summer = look what I can do!! Winter = you're not the boss of me!! He has about the same amount of turnout year round, it's just the temperature for him. The week after he gets clipped I don't even want to deal with him, he acts like someone having a bad LSD experience.

At the same time, the winter spiciness can lead to some incredible things. If my horse turns his winter crazies into work energy it's one of the best things in the world.

Comment

Yes, my gelding is fresh through most of the winter. The first winter I owned him I thought someone had replaced my laid back boy with a loopy jerk who couldn't stand still and thought everything was going to eat him.
      Sheilah

Comment

ditto inne. My gang is out 24/7 all yr round, and the winter crazies happen regardless. Winter rides can be just unbelievable, in the sense that you feel and capture such unbridled power-- just floating, electric energy. (of course many of those rides, you find yourself wishing for summer's congenial partnership type of ride )

Comment

I know of plenty of horse who get nutty in the winter (or a few who get nutty in the summer) who live and ride in the same place all year. I think the cold weather just gets some horses tight and wound up.

Comment

My TB is a nut in the winter. For the first couple of years that I had him I would lunge him for 10-15 minutes to warm him up. Partly because I wanted him to get exercise without someone on his back, but also because it got really old dealing with the bucking, bolting, and squealing. Like others have said, turnout had nothing to do with it. He was and is out 24/7. As a side note, I notice no difference between his behavior when he's in a stall 24/7 for a couple of weeks (like at a show) and at home, but I notice a huge difference between cold weather and warm weather.

The rest of my horses are much more "stable" in the winter and act the same as they do in the summer.

Comment

My TB's like that, too. He goes from a perfect, fun angel to a roaring monster who is forward, forward, forward all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
                I know of plenty of horse who get nutty in the winter (or a few who get nutty in the summer) who live and ride in the same place all year. I think the cold weather just gets some horses tight and wound up.
                This would be my guy - very laid back in the summer, total nut job in the winter.
                http://fromdressagehorsetocowpony.blogspot.com/

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

My TB is like that so I usually pull his shoes and give him the winter off!

In my mustang I appreciate a little extra energy so I don't mind as much, although he does get a bit spooky.

I will say, though the spring grass has some sort of magical fairy dust in it because when they eat more grass in the spring they are so mellow and happy and, "sure mom, whatever you want" about everything. They are almost always out year-round, except for very bad weather, so it isn't a matter of them getting out more. I think spring grass is like marijuana for them or something - when I bring them back from the pasture to their dry-lot area, they are in a daze for a couple hours and just stand around chillin' out.
                  "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Comment

My TB is completely wonderful and complacent in summer, and the biggest jerk I've ever met in winter. I'm pretty sure it is the colder temperatures and the fact that he doesn't like being in the indoor with other horses that causes our problems. This winter, I worked really hard to ride him at quiet times throughout winter and he did quite a bit better.

He gets less turnout in winter - smaller space, and also less time (about 4 hours vs. the 8 that he gets in summer), so that is likely also part of it. Because of our weather, he also has more days in winter where he doesn't get turned out at all (days where it is -7 even before windchill, for example, or when the paddocks are pure sheets of ice). On those days, I just absolutely dread dealing with him at night because he is just. so. angry. Although on the days I have put him out for a half hour or so in extreme cold, he has a fit and wants to come in. So, I kind of can't win.

For him, it also really helps to ride in the morning in the winter. No real idea why, but he is in a better mood in the morning. Like, a WAY better mood. It seems like he just believes he is supposed to work in the morning, and that's just how it should be. If I ride him in the mornings on the days they get no turnout, he is usually just fine. But if I can't make it out in the morning. Oh boy! I will pay for it!

Comment

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I was really beginning to wonder what was going on with my tb. I have had several - this off the track guy is the only one I've noticed that seems to have summer/winter behaviour issues. He's a total jerk at times and it just is not fun those days.

Originally posted by PNWjumper View Post
                      My TB is a nut in the winter. For the first couple of years that I had him I would lunge him for 10-15 minutes to warm him up. Partly because I wanted him to get exercise without someone on his back, but also because it got really old dealing with the bucking, bolting, and squealing. Like others have said, turnout had nothing to do with it. He was and is out 24/7. As a side note, I notice no difference between his behavior when he's in a stall 24/7 for a couple of weeks (like at a show) and at home, but I notice a huge difference between cold weather and warm weather.

The rest of my horses are much more "stable" in the winter and act the same as they do in the summer.
                      The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                      H. Cate

Comment

One of mine is absolutely NEVER ridden after November 1 or before May; he's the lifetime record holder for one horse bucking me off--THREE TIMES!!

But only after Nov. 1; in the summer, he's a sweetheart.

Comment

Cold+wind = a squealing Edward Hyde
                          Barn rat for life

Comment

I've got one who gets cranky (not crazy) & kind of rude in the winter. At first I thought he didn't love me anymore ;-) Then I realized the same thing happens every year - and he"s also out 24/7.

The really funny thing is, his brother (same mom) who lives up north is just the same!
                            Y'all ain't right!

Comment

My mare becomes almost a saintly packer in the summer (at her home barn). As much as an overly powerful WB mare can be a saintly packer, that is. It's not that she's that bad in the winter, but she's just edgy, spooky, sensitive, and strong. And in the warm weather (assuming no major wind), she just relaxes to the point that you would think she was on happy pills! She's just soft and happy!
                              Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Comment

For self-presevation, I devote winter to mostly schooling in the indoor and summer to hacks in the fields and woods and schooling in the outdoor. After five years of summer horse/winter horse, it just seems easier.
                                Mon Ogon (Mo) and Those Wer the Days (Derby)

Comment

WOW I'm so grateful to know it's not that abnormal. Today was a nice day and he was wonderful - actually got some work done.
                                  I can see the self preservation in winter months.
                                  The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                                  H. Cate

Comment

Yes, one of my horses does this as well. It's worse this year than last... but there is a lot more mud this winter and he absolutely hates it.
                                    He's super cranky at the moment and it makes me so sad! I try not to take it personally, but sometimes I just want to cuddle without getting rude glances.
                                    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
                                    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
                                    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
                                    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Comment

Yes, it is good to know I'm not alone. I always figure it's because despite turnout, they're not walking around all day long like they are when grazing. All that said, the fire-breathing foward horse can be pretty fun to ride too-- here's my winter monster zeroing in on a puny 2ft log jump, with enough forward energy to jump a 6ft wall.

Comment

I don't blame the horses, I get crankier in the winter too

Comment

Working...
                                        X