• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What types of saddles do you prefer? English and western

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What types of saddles do you prefer? English and western

What types do you prefer and why? Like what makes them comfortable for you and stuff.
    Also what sizes are your saddles??
    I ride in a close contact English saddle and I love it because its really padded and its so comfortable to sit in. I feel close to the horse too and it's great to jump in. It's a 17in saddle.

I want to get a western saddle too but I'm trying to decide what type I would want and what size.

Albion all the way. Dutchess Bridle and Saddle in New York is their warranty shop here in the states and they are very capable of adjusting and/or reflocking the saddles to fit your horse. I own three that they have custom fitted for me. The Albions have trees that can be adjusted to fit, but I recommend this shop because if there are any parts on recall from the manufacturer she will know about it.

I don't like western saddles so can't help you there.
    America dialed 911. Donald Trump answered the phone.

Stop pumping money into colleges and start getting ready to earn money in the projected tradesman shortage of 2024. Make Trades Great Again!

Comment

English: Still prefer my vintage Crosby Prix des Nations (ultra close contact zero rolls/padding, narrow twist) but it doesn't fit current stock. However, I recently bought a Smith-Worthington that is about as close as I can get to the old Crosby and I've been enjoying it a lot. Also have a Wychanger-Barton (English) that's now over 10 years old, has padding but a good foxhunting saddle. I understand the company has changed saddlemakers and may not be as good these days, though. Western- very much like the High Quality saddle I have (young man in Utah). I've also sat in a Crates reiner and liked it a lot but it didn't fit the horse. If I could find a vintage Ryon I'd snap it up.

Comment

English... was a die hard Stalker fan until I left jumping behind. Now, it's Saddle Nirvana with my new County Perfection dressage saddle. The bull leather is soft as a baby's butt, perfectly balanced & super comfy.

I've only sat in one western saddle in my life that didn't put me in a chair seat and that was comfortable.
        <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

English: I have my classic old Stubben that fits most horses and is as sturdy as a saddle can be. Hard seat, but very reliable. I have a Pessoa that I bought for work over fences. It's super soft, very comfortable, but after only a couple of years, it's obvious it won't hold up as well as the Stubben. And I recently got a Smith Worthington that I love that is beautifully made and comfortable for both me and the pony. My saddles are 17 or 17.5
          I do have an older Western saddle that I picked up from eBay, but I rarely use it. I'm just more comfortable in an English saddle.

Comment

English...my most used was a good Argentine copy of the Stubben Tristran.
            Have a County Despri with the adjustable flap position, also a Gold Metal
            all purpose. DH has a Cordura western saddle...had an all leather one but it
            didn't fit his horse that well. It's been collecting dust for quite some time.

Sat in a Bob Avila reining saddle one and it was awesome, but am much more comfortable in an English saddle.

Comment

Western I like less padded eq saddles. Circle Ys are the ones I've been in most, but I wouldn't rule out other brands. They allow a correctly balanced seat with leg under you, though some hold you in place more than I like.

Jumping I always looooooved my Collegiate close contact "postage stamp" saddle. Almost nothing there, and when I first got it I would post and slide my butt back off the seat because it was so flat and slick. Once I got used to it, it was great - more balanced than bareback, but almost as if you were right on the horse.

I have a new custom Dresch dressage saddle with pretty tall thigh blocks wihch I absolutely love. The blocks mostly come into use during bucking fits, and don't keep me from riding how I want. Theoretically I would love a close contact dressage saddle, but this saddle fits so well I feel everything my horse does well and the blocks which are only there in case of emergency are pretty great, too.
              Originally posted by Silverbridge
              If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

English:

Albion Original Comfort Buffalo leather custom. MW 17.5 (removed custom blocks). Fabulous saddle..second skin.

Passier GG Extra 18 M...amazing saddle...Like butter

Western:

McLellands 1978 show saddle bought 20 years ago for $100. Hand-made. 15", very comfy..not even broken-in...beautiful saddle. I've been dragging it around for 20 years..LOL Now, I'm gonna use it.

Circle Y barrel 14"..new. Snug and secure for me..great for youngsters. Awesome saddle. I've had two other Circle Y saddles, and they were great saddles.

Comment

I have a Stubben Rex 16" that fits any and all horses it ever was used on and a Passier VS 17" that fits like the most comfy bucket for me, but is for horses with more of a withers, not the mutton ones.
                  Since my horses are older now, it fits fine.

I too prefer my English saddle any day, but have western saddles that I also use, a ranch/roping saddle or two and a reining saddle.

What western saddle do you need?
                  That will depend on what you want to do.
                  As for size, once you decide which kind, then try several to see what size you prefer.
                  Not all in the same size ride the same, like most English saddles do.

Comment

Size is interesting with the Western saddles...I always rode in a 16", and then I recently was at D&D in Seguin and just sitting in saddles for fun. I asked for a 16" to try out and she brought a barrel saddle..it was way to wide for me in the twist. She said, "Well I'd put you in a 14", and I said, "What? Are you nuts? LOL", so she brought one to sit in, and it was incredibly perfect. I was shocked, so I bought one. Learn something about yourself every day..it makes me feel like centaur..lol

Comment

I loved my old Stubben Siegried, wish I'd never sold it.

I have a Blue Ribbon western show saddle, a Dale Chavez show saddle, and a Blue Ribbon work saddle. I trail ride in a Circle Y Flex saddle because it's so light and has all the d-rings and ties I need.

Comment

jumping: I love my prestige. I have had it for 11 years now, and can't recall the model, but it is the one with the funny leather. I don't jump very much anymore, but I can't part with it.

Dressage: I really like my Frank Baines, and will likely buy another if I ever need a new one.

Western. For ponying I have an ancient, locally made "Clover Bar saddler" western saddle. It puts me in a bit of a chair seat, but fits my pony horse well, and I don't care if it gets knocked about.

My "equitation" saddle when riding for fun is an "Alamo". Low end, but looks pretty and it allows me to keep my legs under me close to my dressage saddle. Not sure I would trust it on a long trail ride, but I have shown in it.

A client just bought an "original" Billy Cook, which I also like the looks of, but have yet to ride in.

Another client has a Martha Jose barrel saddle which is pretty awesome too.
                        Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

I love my cheapie no-name aussie saddle that I bought used for $100. I also really like my Hun Bareback Pad (the version with stirrups) that I bought online from the Aussie Stock Saddle Company.

Trying to find the perfect saddle is like trying to find the perfect bra.
                          PA Hi-Ly Visible [PA Hi-Noon (by Magnum Psyche) x Takara Padrona (by *Padron)]

Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Comment

Originally posted by californianinkansas View Post
                            I love my cheapie no-name aussie saddle that I bought used for $100. I also really like my Hun Bareback Pad (the version with stirrups) that I bought online from the Aussie Stock Saddle Company.

Trying to find the perfect saddle is like trying to find the perfect bra.
                            That bolded phrase is right.

It ought to be someone's signature.

Comment

Right now I have:

17in no name AP that was a gift. I like it better than the Lancer I used to have, deeper seat.

17in off brand Aussie, also a gift, only got to sit in it once just to see how it fit Miss Diva with me on it, which is like a glove. Super comfy from at least that experience, and sits like a dressage saddle, so excited to get to use that on her more when I'm able to return to riding.

and a 13in abetta youth saddle. It's my childrens' but I use it now and then. Not the ideal fit for me at even with my tiny tushy. Seat surprisingly cushy though.

Loved my Crosby spring tree dressage saddle I sold.

Browsing around for a 15in western. Barrel or trail. I like the more secure feeling I get in the barrel saddles, especially since for the next year most of my riding is going to be on my green bean. But some of the newer trail saddles really appeal to my built in cushion lacking self. Have yet to have an unpleasant experience in a Circle Y (comfort wise), and my family has one we bought used 13 years ago that is still going strong.
                              Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
                              RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
                              RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
                              RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Comment

Would you consider Australian? We own two of the Down Under Longreach endurance saddles and love them. They are the best of both worlds to me, light weight, more close contact than other aussie saddles and good quality. Highly recommend
                                To ride a horse is to borrow freedom.

Comment

I feel most comfortable in my english cutback saddle. I learned to ride in a cutback, so anything else just feels really odd to me. My second most comfortable would be western, but still prefer a cutback over that.
                                  http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
                                  The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
                                  Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
                                  Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Comment

English: I will never endure another dressage saddle of ANY make.
                                    25-year old and older Stubbens fit almost anybody. Cheap, too.
                                    Don't ever buy anything with those air-filled panels. Ack! Thppt!
                                    If it doesn't fit, 637 pads won't make it fit any better.

Western: I love a Barrel Racing saddle because it puts you body-over-stirrups.
                                    Lots are "close-contact" as western goes and are GREAT for flatwork;
                                    Chair-seat is a No. Can't sit the canter in that position to save my life!

Other: Plantation saddles are the best of both worlds.

Comment

Gonna go with my Aussie saddle and I was ever so pleased to find it fit my Morgan perfectly.

I do enjoy english over western (This from a girl who grew up riding QH's and showing Western for half her life) English always made me SO much more secure.

I love my aussie, makes me feel like I am riding on a cloud and sitting on a pillow.
                                      Chambermaid to....
                                      Lilly
                                      Reggie

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                        That bolded phrase is right.

It ought to be someone's signature.
                                        Thank you for your kind words. I wasn't sure if my comment was a bit racy for this forum.

Honestly, I'm not sure which ends up being more expensive: trying to find the perfect bra or trying to find a saddle which fits both you and your horse.
                                        PA Hi-Ly Visible [PA Hi-Noon (by Magnum Psyche) x Takara Padrona (by *Padron)]

Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Comment

Working...
                                        X