• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spains Economy Affecting Horses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out. I would love an Andalusian, and I help rescue many horses each year through the rescue. Because I work in rescue, I don't have the funds to purchase an Andy, though, so I admire from afar. I saw the two mares posted on the Give Aways forum, but if I finally get an Andy I would like a registered one that I could possibly show. I'm NOT insensitive to the plight of rescue horses (I have five here that I'm feeding myself and almost 700 that I'm responsible for through BEHS). But if I am going to take on another permanent mouth to feed, I want to take on the exact horse I want. (And if that makes me a criminal, so be it!).
    Just as you would not place a horse from your rescue in the wrong home, why would anyone expect you to take in that one more personal horse that is not exactly what you want, just because he is one more of so many unwanted horses?

Just hang on in there for exactly what will fit for you, only you know best.
    By the way, andalusians are wonderful horses, but they are a very specific kind of horse with very specific traits, not a more general, versatile horse you can do most anything with, although you can find in them, as in all horses, some that may do it all.

Purebred ones tend to be, if the jerezano, the heavier type, used for both, high school demonstrations and driving, of restricted gaits.
    Neither of both basic types, the other the leaner cartujano, really are much of a forward horse, which is great for what they were bred for, but maybe not for so much we do today with our horses.
    Now, crossed right, you can have most anything you want, as they pass on their wonderful puppy dog, happy, willing disposition and their gaits improve if you cross with other breeds with very nice gaits.

I hope some day you get just the horse you want, there is one out there.

Comment

I hardly think you would be a criminal if you want the right horse for you.
      You've taken care of so many others.

Thanks for pointing that out. I would love an Andalusian, and I help rescue many horses each year through the rescue. Because I work in rescue, I don't have the funds to purchase an Andy, though, so I admire from afar. I saw the two mares posted on the Give Aways forum, but if I finally get an Andy I would like a registered one that I could possibly show. I'm NOT insensitive to the plight of rescue horses (I have five here that I'm feeding myself and almost 700 that I'm responsible for through BEHS). But if I am going to take on another permanent mouth to feed, I want to take on the exact horse I want. (And if that makes me a criminal, so be it!).
      The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
      H. Cate

Comment

I used to ride an andalusian a friends horse, that was trained to First Level.
        He was small, Grey and full of personality, he was always trying to please.
        Their gaits are a bit different for someone like me who is used to TB's
        He was a sweetheart!

Comment

Originally posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
          I hardly think you would be a criminal if you want the right horse for you.
          You've taken care of so many others.
          I was a bit sarcastic with that (maybe I had too much sugar? ).

I do wish everyone would adopt a rescue horse, preferably from Bluebonnet so I would run out of horses and get to sit in my porch swing more! But I know that adoption isn't always right for everyone - sometimes people want a specific horse with a specific skill set that we don't have, some people don't like how adoption works, etc. And that fits me - I like the way Andalusians move (I love horses with huge trots) and I love the personalities of the ones I have met. My goal is to eventually adopt from the rescue (because I think I should do what I ask others to do!) but also to maybe one day get a young Andy I can train and ride. I just got irritated with the 'there were Andies needing rescue! Where are all you rescue people?' type post.
          Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Comment

LOL I can't blame you for getting annoyed. It's easy to sit and point fingers.
            I hope the economy picks up more - you'd probably have more people getting a rescue then. I also think if you're patient when looking and are diligent - you can probably find what you're looking for at a rescue. All types may end up there.
            Is there an Andy rescue out there?? Up here recently there was a whole slew of Paso Fino babies that came through. Although they were bred for quantity not for quality.
            You're out there doing it - everybody else can just shut up LOL

I was a bit sarcastic with that (maybe I had too much sugar? ).

I do wish everyone would adopt a rescue horse, preferably from Bluebonnet so I would run out of horses and get to sit in my porch swing more! But I know that adoption isn't always right for everyone - sometimes people want a specific horse with a specific skill set that we don't have, some people don't like how adoption works, etc. And that fits me - I like the way Andalusians move (I love horses with huge trots) and I love the personalities of the ones I have met. My goal is to eventually adopt from the rescue (because I think I should do what I ask others to do!) but also to maybe one day get a young Andy I can train and ride. I just got irritated with the 'there were Andies needing rescue! Where are all you rescue people?' type post.
            H. Cate

Comment

Originally posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
              LOL I can't blame you for getting annoyed. It's easy to sit and point fingers.
              I hope the economy picks up more - you'd probably have more people getting a rescue then. I also think if you're patient when looking and are diligent - you can probably find what you're looking for at a rescue. All types may end up there.
              Is there an Andy rescue out there?? Up here recently there was a whole slew of Paso Fino babies that came through. Although they were bred for quantity not for quality.
              You're out there doing it - everybody else can just shut up LOL
              *laugh* We've had some Andies in the rescue - it was where I met the first one and got hooked. At the time, DH and I were still in grad. school and couldn't afford another full time horse or I wouldn't have let him go!

We'll see what the future brings. My personal horses are aging, and eventually I'll adopt AND possibly get an Andy.

And I do pray daily for an improving economy so fewer horses need the rescue and we can get more of the horses in the rescue moved out (well, that's not the only reasons - I want a better life for a lot of people, too! ).
              Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Comment

I'm with ya on the economy!! I keep hearing it's getting better - but haven't seen much of it yet.

*laugh* We've had some Andies in the rescue - it was where I met the first one and got hooked. At the time, DH and I were still in grad. school and couldn't afford another full time horse or I wouldn't have let him go!

We'll see what the future brings. My personal horses are aging, and eventually I'll adopt AND possibly get an Andy.

And I do pray daily for an improving economy so fewer horses need the rescue and we can get more of the horses in the rescue moved out (well, that's not the only reasons - I want a better life for a lot of people, too! ).
                H. Cate

Comment

From a breeder in Spain:

http://andalusianworld.com/blog/a-sp...rse-slaughter/

Comment

Not all Iberians are expensive I know of a few US Breeders that are within normal prices, and as the US bred ones are DNA tested and the Spanish ones are not there is some question as to the Purity of some of the horses coming out of Spain at the moment. They have PRE papers but no DNA to back it up and some of the colors are a little, shall we say odd. US born horses are not always inscribed in the Spanish stud book (owners choice) but they are Pure Spanish Horses and some would say were slightly better than some that are coming in at the moment, and when you consider that it costs 10,000 plus dollars to import one a US bred one seems to be a better option. This Spanish Horses going to slaughter is not a true story. It was invented by a newspaper and the breeder, that they refer to has only just been informed that his horses are going to laughter! By the Foundation, IALHA and other Iberian institutions that want to help. He has horses for sale and they are cheap but none are going to auction. He is considering suing the newspaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Riding at 90 View Post
                      ... It was invented by a newspaper and the breeder, that they refer to has only just been informed that his horses are going to laughter! By the Foundation, IALHA and other Iberian institutions that want to help. He has horses for sale and they are cheap but none are going to auction. He is considering suing the newspaper.
                      So which is it...invented by the news paper and breeder or he has only just been informed that his horses are going to Slaughter?

By news paper you mean AP?

This is on the breeders web page:

We are currently in a period of liquidation of our livestock, so we are offering for sale our animals, at a very very low.
                      No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Comment

If you go here:
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...se/45648528483

And find the post about this story and read all the comments you will find the breeders link and a few other interesting post from one or two who live there. No mention of it being fabricated yet. Several have posted that they have attempted to reach the breeder with no luck. One story about a PRE foal that was saved from slaughter.
                        No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by MSP View Post
                          If you go here:
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...se/45648528483

And find the post about this story and read all the comments you will find the breeders link and a few other interesting post from one or two who live there. No mention of it being fabricated yet. Several have posted that they have attempted to reach the breeder with no luck. One story about a PRE foal that was saved from slaughter.
                          Similar to what happened with arabians many years ago, where they were sold for incredible prices, until the economy crashed and people lost so much money on them and could not give them away, or quarter horses of certain breeding six years ago, when the economy also tanked and many were left with breeding herds and nowhere to go with their offspring, to the point that the AQHA only registered 1/3 as many and in the past 6 years has averaged only 1/2 registrations from years before that.

When we have an oversupply of gadgets, they are stored away.
                          We can't do that with horses, they have to be cared for, feed and vet and farrier and pay boarding, etc. on them all along, even when people lose their jobs and don't have money for their families.

Comment

Working...
                          X