• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

"Shut up and ride" I get it now!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a long time western trail rider, I can assure you that under trail riding circumstances, there is no deep, intrinsic meaning behind the t-shirt with the saying on it. It means exactly what it says, and is usually worn by someone who doesn't want to spend the day listening to someone else in the group running their mouth ad infinitum about crap no one wants to hear about. It is also the last attempt to convey the message to the anyone before the t-shirt wearer gets ticked off enough to get in someone's face about it, or drop the offender from any future trail riding. For whatever reason, they just don't want to hear the crap, so shut the h*ll up and ride. Whatever else you want to glean from that is up your own personal alley, not theirs. I will say, that if you see it at a western event, it may be because their good western shirt/t-shirt is in the wash, but it still means what it says anyway.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFigs View Post
      "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar". And sometimes "Shut up and ride" means just that.

OK, I just spewed my wine all over my keyboard. Which is a waste of wine, but nevertheless, thanks for the concise summation, Three Figs.
      They don't call me frugal for nothing.
      Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

You're welcome. Sorry about the wine.

Comment

Originally posted by paulaedwina View Post
          That's not the epiphany I got from Rick's explanation. I guess a thread can easily take on a life of its own. Personally I see that some people work things out verbally and others do not. When I see/hear someone constantly talking in that way while riding I assume they're processing something -like nerves. I would never tell them to STHU and ride. It might make the ride quieter, but IMO, it didn't help them with their issues.

This thread wasn't meant to be about people who talk too much, people who have too much theory but no seat time, etc. It was simply about my finally understanding the rationale behind the sentiment and sharing it with others who might have the same issues with processing figurative speech.

Paula
          Well what ever you meant, I took it literally.

And yes, after 6 years with riding with her, almost every weekend lots of camping trips and her going through good horse like toilet tissue, and when you say "Personally I see that some people work things out verbally and others do not. When I see/hear someone constantly talking in that way while riding I assume they're processing something -like nerves." well, she has had many years to work through whatever it is that she was "processing".

But you are welcome to assume away, she talked the. entire. trial. ride. For hours, nagging nagging the poor horses. Hollering while going down the trail. Just no fun, so I told her to just stop talking and ride and after that I just stopped trail riding with her. Though that trail ride was actually a nice one, and her horse wasn't so nervous one the chatter and picking stopped.
          I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Comment

• Original Poster

Went out and rode today. My first CCWC (Carroll County Western Circuit) show -barrels, plug, poles, versatility and figure 8. It was the first time for Fella too. He did very well, fun was had by all.

Paula
            He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

Originally posted by frugalannie View Post
              OK, I just spewed my wine all over my keyboard. Which is a waste of wine, but nevertheless, thanks for the concise summation, Three Figs.
              I just snorted Bud through my nose S'Okay - it was warm and cheap-18 oz. for $1. WOOT.

3F, thumbs up.

ETA: Paula, I'm glad you had a great day. Thumbs up to you, too

Comment

Originally posted by paulaedwina View Post
                Went out and rode today. My first CCWC (Carroll County Western Circuit) show -barrels, plug, poles, versatility and figure 8. It was the first time for Fella too. He did very well, fun was had by all.

Paula
                How about that.

Hope you and your horse had a great time there, even if you had to quit talking.

Comment

I love the expression, "Shut Up And Ride", but too many people take it the wrong way so you have to be careful about to whom and how you say it.

It's kinda like, "Hang Ten" to surfers, or "Break A Leg" to thespians. Basically, let's go and stop waisting time with the chit-chat.

Comment

There is a horsey page on FB that features merchandise with the saying "Ride like you mean it". Along these same lines. What a light bulb moment that was for me. I never knew when to apply all the things I've learned and once applied, if they didn't work I didn't know what to do. I was often confused and disappointed in myself and in my horse.

Then last time I rode, I rode like I meant it. The response I got back was "I don't know what a half halt means". I was stunned. I thought all horses knew that and that I was not catching on. So instead of putting up with his jiggy walk and ineffective half halts, I went to complete halts. Gently but firmly. Then walk off. If he started to get jiggy again...he did...another halt. By the time we were done he was keeping his relaxed walk longer and *beginning* to be sensitive to a half halt.

Instead of whining "why is he DOING this" I shut up and rode like I meant it. I felt strong, confident and in charge. It was great!
                    Ride like you mean it.

Comment

Originally posted by ezduzit View Post
                      There is a horsey page on FB that features merchandise with the saying "Ride like you mean it". Along these same lines. What a light bulb moment that was for me. I never knew when to apply all the things I've learned and once applied, if they didn't work I didn't know what to do. I was often confused and disappointed in myself and in my horse.

Then last time I rode, I rode like I meant it. The response I got back was "I don't know what a half halt means". I was stunned. I thought all horses knew that and that I was not catching on. So instead of putting up with his jiggy walk and ineffective half halts, I went to complete halts. Gently but firmly. Then walk off. If he started to get jiggy again...he did...another halt. By the time we were done he was keeping his relaxed walk longer and *beginning* to be sensitive to a half halt.

Instead of whining "why is he DOING this" I shut up and rode like I meant it. I felt strong, confident and in charge. It was great!
                      I wonder, how long have you been riding?

I think that those that start riding when very young just ride and then it comes naturally.
                      Even if they never learn the technical aspects of riding, even if they don't even know what leads are, they still can get a horse to do so much, because they have "just ridden" and made it work, whatever way it was working, even on the wrong lead.
                      Add some education to that and the sky is the limit, or we are ourselves if it comes to that.

Comment

I've always assumed the "shut up and ride" phrase was about the same as "just do it".
                        Hillary Rodham Clinton - the peoples choice for president.

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh my goodness, last night I was just stupid-tired. Our debut was brilliant. Funny thing about shut up and ride; I talk alot, like all the time. Except yesterday when I was warming up, thinking about my patterns, etc. I didn't talk at all. In fact other people's chatter got on my nerves. Isn't that funny? Of all the people to be put off by chatter I wouldn't have expected it to be me. Of course when were were done I was right back to my talkative self. So how's that?

Gestalt, "just do it" was another of those phrases that held no meaning for me beyond a Nike ad. Now I understand it. But, as a few of us were saying earlier, some of us are just literal.

Paula
                          He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

A couple of years. I started when I was 30...just trail riding; or, "slopping down the road" as I called it. Then I went to a carriage showing career. So when I started riding again over 30 years later, I could stay on a horse (most of the time ;-) ) but hadn't a clue how to ride "right" or make my horse show off his show gaits. I consider myself a beginner when it comes to equitation.

Originally posted by Bluey View Post

I think that those that start riding when very young just ride and then it comes naturally.
                            Even if they never learn the technical aspects of riding, even if they don't even know what leads are, they still can get a horse to do so much, because they have "just ridden" and made it work, whatever way it was working, even on the wrong lead.
                            Add some education to that and the sky is the limit, or we are ourselves if it comes to that.
                            Ride like you mean it.

Comment

Originally posted by ezduzit View Post
                              A couple of years. I started when I was 30...just trail riding; or, "slopping down the road" as I called it. Then I went to a carriage showing career. So when I started riding again over 30 years later, I could stay on a horse (most of the time ;-) ) but hadn't a clue how to ride "right" or make my horse show off his show gaits. I consider myself a beginner when it comes to equitation.
                              It is much easier to acquire motor memory when very young.
                              Later, it takes more work, more practice and the right kind of practice to become good at anything physical, as we are not growing new paths, but fighting old ones also.

That doesn't mean we can't do much, it is maybe thru other ways than the real simple "just ride", although that is of course part of that learning curve also.

When learning to become a serious, professional riding instructor, we had kids camps and the kids learned so much in a handful of days, it was incredible.

I wish we had camps for adults also.
                              I think it would have been very interesting what differences there were in the teaching and learning and how best to advance with adult students in that setting.
                              The problem, few adults then could take a whole week from life, family and work, to participate in such camps.
                              Today life is somewhat different and more adults may just be able to manage that.

Comment

"Shut up and ride!"

Translated could mean:

1. Stop posting and reading on an internet BB and GET OUT AND RIDE.

2. Stop saying "I want to do this discipline. I want to do that discipline." all teh while collecting 10 saddles for one horse that you never ride. You have to ride to learn ANY discipline well.

3. Stop auditing clinics and ride in them instead.

4. Stop making excuses for yourself, your horse, your barn, your tack, your arena, your trails or a lack of arena or trails.

5. When the horse gives you what you ask, leave him alone. Is he going well on the buckle down the long side? JUST RIDE!!! Stop nagging him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post

I rode and had my own horses growing up, but never took a lesson. Once I was an adult and started taking lessons, suddenly I felt like I couldn't ride anymore. I literally went so far backwards I lost all confidence and natural feel and went through a couple or more years of crazy ANALlitical time-wasting . It didn't help that I had the wrong horses....but it took me years to get out of that rut.

Comment

Originally posted by AlterN8tive View Post
                                    "Shut up and ride!"

Translated could mean:

1. Stop posting and reading on an internet BB and GET OUT AND RIDE.

2. Stop saying "I want to do this discipline. I want to do that discipline." all teh while collecting 10 saddles for one horse that you never ride. You have to ride to learn ANY discipline well.

3. Stop auditing clinics and ride in them instead.

4. Stop making excuses for yourself, your horse, your barn, your tack, your arena, your trails or a lack of arena or trails.

5. When the horse gives you what you ask, leave him alone. Is he going well on the buckle down the long side? JUST RIDE!!! Stop nagging him.
                                    I like this description. For myself, I often think of it like "sit up and ride" but when thinking of others, I think I'd go with "shut up and ride!" (especially point 1 above) This phrase is about the mentality of riding (for me, anyway) - I need a good warmup before I'm mentally in the game and when I am, my rides are so much better. It is about focus, determination, plugging your ass into the saddle and doing it (whatever IT is for you). Heck, some days it is about just riding if I'm tired or not feeling it. Stop making excuses and just DO IT already, PoPo. Or some days it is about being firmer and clearer in my expectations so that I don't say, "well, that was good enough, I guess." Some days it is about "puckering up" and riding by sucking my butt cheeks into the saddle if it is a particularly spooky-ride type of day.

Actually, sometimes the opposite of shutting up works - especially in jumping lessons, I've had my instructor purposefully make me answer questions as I'm riding to a jump in order to take my mind off whatever it is that is making me ride like an idiot and let my body just take over.

I don't think anyone has ever told me to shut up, because I'm not much of a talker to begin with!
                                    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Comment

Working...
                                    X