• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spinoff: Best and worst judges you've ridden in front of

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never shown dressage for a bad judge, but in my earliest outings I didn't understand what directives were for, so thought I did

(Yes, I was upset at getting a 4 on canter transition because I FIXED the lead! So, shouldn't that count for something? Now I know that it did : I gave myself a chance to get better than 0 not-shown for the (correct lead) canter circle in the next movement.)
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Comment

I've never shown dressage for a bad judge, but in my earliest outings I didn't understand what directives were for, so thought I did

(Yes, I was upset at getting a 4 on canter transition because I FIXED the lead! So, shouldn't that count for something? Now I know that it did : I gave myself a chance to get better than 0 not-shown for the (correct lead) canter circle in the next movement.)
      *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Comment

Originally posted by netg View Post
        I wouldn't name worst judges here if I did know their names just because it seems like it's asking to have that judge to be the judge at a very important time.
        Yes, I did think twice before naming names. However, there were so many complaints that the show managers around here have said they won't hire that judge again so I think I'm safe!

Comment

Originally posted by cowgirljenn View Post
          I don't normally believe there's tons of politics or breed bias going on at open shows - my Arabian and I have won hunter pleasure and hunt seat eq. classes in front of western/stock-horse judges at open shows.

BUT I was at one open show with a very nice WP Arabian gelding. This horse had regional wins, a top ten at youth nationals, etc. He was going well that day, and we placed really poorly in our first class. I came out of the ring and someone came up to me and told me we should have won, but she said the judge turned his back on us every time we came by. I watched in the next class, and she was right. He just wouldn't even watch us.

I used to remember his name, because I didn't want to show with him again. It has been years ago, though, and I had stopped showing for several years and forgot who he was.
          been there, done that. showed my old ASB mare, who was a cute but not breed typey hunter. She was 100% on her A-game- really good transitions, good distinctions between normal and extended gaits. Really having a great day. and I actually had the judge walk up to me in the lineup in my first class and say "I don't like (comment about my type of horse) but you had a really good ride so I had to give you a ribbon". The next class, my mom videoed the judge as I was approaching, and she did a 180 every time we got in her line of sight. So... my handy little dollface of a mare collected up and did a nice little 10 meter circle around the judge in the canter. It was fun.

Comment

Originally posted by CS View Post
            Anyone in New England remember Ester Bird? She was tough!
            She liked me!! LOL!!!

In the same area & date range, who did NOT like me was Stuart Holbrook. I don't think he was a *bad* judge, and I will NOT call him that, but it took me RIGHT up until my last junior year to figure out what he wanted in the (hunt seat) eq. There was another young lady who shall, I think, go nameless, but was a pretty big name in Zone 1 and a MUCH better rider than me, but we had a similar *style* of riding, and he never used either one of us. We both used to avoid shows where he was judging but I finally got smart my last jr. year and left horsie at home and went to WATCH to see who he pinned. Turned out all we needed to do was crank our stirrups 2 holes shorter and sit "out behind" a bit... not quite a chair seat but almost. That was kind of an old-fashioned look even in the 1970s. But, armed w/ that knowledge, I won my next flat with him judging.
            "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

Originally posted by War Admiral View Post
              She liked me!! LOL!!!

In the same area & date range, who did NOT like me was Stuart Holbrook.
              Bird loved you if you had a morgan. Or, in my case, a chubby quarter horse that liked to park heself in a model class.

As for Holbrook, my dad refused to spend money at any show he judged at! Back then there were plenty of shows to pick and choose from each weekend, we just picked one that he wasn't at!

Comment

Originally posted by CS View Post
                Bird loved you if you had a morgan. Or, in my case, a chubby quarter horse that liked to park heself in a model class.

As for Holbrook, my dad refused to spend money at any show he judged at! Back then there were plenty of shows to pick and choose from each weekend, we just picked one that he wasn't at!
                Were your maiden name initials by any chance CL? That is *hilarious* re your dad. As noted, I did the same thing most of the time. But again I don't think he was a "bad" judge, I think he was just old-fashioned to the extreme. As to Miz Bird, I *think* she kinda watched me "grow up" in the show ring and she probably judged me as a lead-liner/walk-trotter on the Morgans and ASBs before I switched disciplines. I'm also pretty sure I remember her either coming to my (saddle seat) instructor's place to judge a schooling show or to lecture the riding club when I was a wee'un. I can't remember which she did but I know she was there, and I couldn't have been any older than 8 at the time...
                "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

Originally posted by War Admiral View Post
                  Were your maiden name initials by any chance CL? ..
                  No, not me :-) But I'm sure that if I could find a picture of our gooseneck, you'd recognize it. I swear anyone that rode in MA in the 70's/80's knew us by the trailer. (Beige 4h Kingston that Dad custom lettered across the top.)

Comment

Best? I hope I am writing his name right because I am a horse show mom, but my daughter showed in front of John Conyers at state and regionals, and he really tested those kids with a lot of positivity. She truly earned those ribbons.

Worst? I won't name names, but the Judge who continued to read his paper unless someone from the hosting farm came in the ring. Judges are entitled to their opinions, but I thought he was tacky and unprofessional.
                    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Comment

Worst by far: John Sullivan

I had ridden under him a few times, and he was always late to the show and every time had claimed he had gotten lost. Never agreed with his pinnings, but that's what you pay a judge for.

Last year, I brought my Morgan to a show that was double judged, John Sullivan and a woman judge (can't recall her name). I took my guy into a Morgan geldings class of 6. Woman judge pinned me first...John Sullivan disqualified me and wrote in the card that the horse was lame. Horse was NOT lame, obviously of the other judge wouldn't have pinned me first! The horse was an animated morgwn with action. I was mad and confused, so I exited the ring, and brought the horse to the steward so I could trot him and prove that he was in fact sound. While I was ringside with th steward, John Sullivan LEFT THE CLASS HE WAS JUDGING to come over and yell at me, something along the lines of "I knew you would be trouble and complain and tattle on me!"

I will NEVER go to a show if him name is on the prize list.

Comment

Gee...now I remember when showing ceased to be fun...it became "who you knew, trained with and how expensive your horse was". Oh...that must have been when I graduated to the "A"'s...back in the 70's, LOL!
                        But I'd never call a judge out...it wasn't done back then...unless you were a phenom, which I wasn't!
                        Can't believe COTH names names...Wow!
                        Last edited by Budrow; Apr. 16, 2013, 10:19 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

I only do schooling shows (Hunters/Eq), so the names may or may not be recognizable.

Best: Misty Morgan - my BO hates the way she judges, but I think she's wonderful because she really rewards riders for improvements class-by-class. I was having an awful couple of rounds in Maiden Hunter. Horse was spooking/bolting, we were adding and taking out strides left and right. Just bad, bad, bad. Then we had time for a short break, got our stuff together, and went in for a 2' "challenge" (like a mini hunter derby) and actually had a pretty decent ride. She rewarded our improvement with a blue ribbon. My guy and I worked hard for that ribbon It's displayed next to his picture and the silver plate we won that day.

Worst: Crystal Brumbaugh - Watches the first little bit of your first round, decides if she likes your horse or not, and pins you accordingly every time. Barely watches your rounds, and I can't tell you how many pictures I have of me riding, and her in the background chit-chatting to the announcer. Not even watching me at all. Other riders probably have similar photos. I've placed decently under her, so it's not as though she's decided she hates me/my horse and already knows we're not on her radar. She judged two shows here last season and I got reserve in all of my divisions. What gives? How can I get reserve when she's not looking at me?

Comment

Working...
                          X