• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

blankets in 80F+ degree weather on horses at a retirement facility :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blankets in 80F+ degree weather on horses at a retirement facility :(

i got a call yesterday from asking if i know anyone at a local retirement facility in East Amwell, NJ, b/c the horses are out in blankets. it was well over 80F yesterday and the day before.
    it's a retirement barn. i don't know how often the owners of these horses visit. it's horrifying and, sadly, not unusual. i've seen the same thing couple of years ago. also, just about every year i see a horse spend the winter outside (this is pasture board) in a torn blanket with stuffing hanging out - you know that blanket gets soaked through in that condition.

please, please, don't think that your horses are safe at a retirement barn. please go visit them. if you can't, find someone local, give them a few bucks, and ask them to check on your horse.
    Last edited by marta; Apr. 11, 2013, 05:22 PM.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

I wonder if they are skinny under those blankets.... yikes.

Comment

Blankets on in 80*. There's more going on there than *just* that guaranteed... I agree, if you're not local- have someone that is to check your horses.
      Kerri

Comment

That's awful and agree probably a lot of other bad things going on over there than just blankets...
        Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
        Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
        "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
        I love my Dublin-ator

Comment

Can you call AC and see if an officer can just do a quick stop by and put a hand on those animals UNDER the rugs to make sure the rugs aren't hiding skeletal critters?

We have an a$$hat up the road who had for the past 6 years refused to feed her horses hay in the winter. The horses all get to a body grade of about 2-3. When they get really skinny, she rugs them up...until the "pasture" (weed lot) comes in.

After 6 years of calling non-stop, FINALLY we have an AC who listens, he either got sick of me calling or whatever, but has intervened. Don't wait to call.

And I second it - "old folks warehouses" can be GREAT facilities or they can be horrible regardless of whether it's human or horse.

Comment

Originally posted by marta View Post
            please, please, don't think that your horses are safe at a retirement barn.
            While I absolutely agree that blankets on in that warm of weather is horrible and a good indicator that many other things could be wrong, this is quite a broad brush you use with this statement. The same could be said about boarding barns, dogs in boarding kennels etc. One just needs the right retirement facility. Hyperbole about them in general isn't a great thing.

There are a lot of great retirement facility owners out there (and some on this board). Perhaps asking them for ways to vet a new place would be more helpful.
            "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

Maybe they were fly sheets? I live in Delaware and right now we are under attack from mosquito's due to all the wet weather and now warm conditions. I have a farm full of ottb's all wearing fly sheets because they aren't enjoying getting attacked.
              http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

Hey, I have a retirement boarder and I can assure you I change/remove blankets.

Comment

• Original Poster

long spot

i think you missed my point.
                  i'm not saying only retirement facilities are guilty of neglect. my point was that people who send their horses to retirement facilities are often absentee owners but that they should not take it for granted that their horses are cared for and should make arrangements to have someone check on their horse if they cannot.

Originally posted by Long Spot View Post
                  While I absolutely agree that blankets on in that warm of weather is horrible and a good indicator that many other things could be wrong, this is quite a broad brush you use with this statement. The same could be said about boarding barns, dogs in boarding kennels etc. One just needs the right retirement facility. Hyperbole about them in general isn't a great thing.

There are a lot of great retirement facility owners out there (and some on this board). Perhaps asking them for ways to vet a new place would be more helpful.

Comment

How many of the horses were blanketed? Was it just one? Or a few? Maybe there is something else going on besides blatant neglect. Maybe the horse as a health issue that requires it to be blanketed? I wouldn't be too hasty to jump to conclusions

Comment

Just a comment. I don't know about this incident, but the barn you refer to and they were nothing but super to us after our horse was injured in a barn fire next door some years ago. They made room for Alex and let us stay for a week or more until other arrangements could be made. Never charged us a penny and put up with all sorts of visiting hours in the barn behind their house while we were treating him the first while. We are talking us showing up 6+ times a day for various treatments. They helped where they could.

The horses were in pretty good shape when we were there and haven't seen anything in sad shape in the fields in years since. Several of the horses they were keeping for people were quite elderly and looked pretty good.

They live in the house on the farm.

Might mention the weather has only been over 70 for a few days and is back in the 50s again today. It's also been relatively chilly at night. I might prefer the blankets off for the heat of the day, but it's not like they are blanketed in the middle of August.

That said I agree that any horse in someone else's care should get regular checks.

By the way... our Alex was also in a light turnout while out the last few days. Since the fire he cannot be out in the sun without some sort of blanket. We check regularly and haven't found him oversweaty yet and our BO is a super person who fusses with his wardrobe more than we would. I'm guessing they are fine.
                      Last edited by Drive NJ; Apr. 15, 2013, 11:41 AM. Reason: removing farm name since OP removed from her post

Comment

• Original Poster

Drive NJ

i realize your horse is a special case but i'm shocked that you would suggest that use of blankets would be acceptable in the temps we had the last two days under normal circumstances. even a clipped horse should be naked in those temps.

but, a lesson to learn here is that as usual with horse people, there is always more than one opinion. clearly ours differ. notwithstanding, i will remove the barn's name from my original post.

Comment

Marta

You are just plain wrong. They could be cool sheerts which offer protection from the sun and from flies expecially if they are old and thin skinned.

Obviously you have never lived in Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona or anywhere else where it can get into the 110 range.

A sheet like a tee shirt on a person protects them from burning. It is NOT ABUSE

Now...why haven't you just called them and asked.
                          The Elephant in the room

Comment

The 80 degrees we had in NJ was extremely abnormal for this time of year - I think we came close to or actually broke a record high - so the BO's might have been caught off guard. But the poor horses must of been uncomfortable, hope someone got the blankets off at some point...

That said I saw a horrid starvation case (1.5 on the scale per my vet when I got her home) that was blanketed on a hot day (place was having a show, guess they didn't want the public to know how they treated the rough board TB's) When I lifted the blanket I nearly sank to my knees in shock, before then I hadn't see such abuse other than on tv. (the 3 yo filly made a full recovery & found a lovely home in NC)

Definitely would raise eyebrows to see blankets on horses in the 80's - but more research justified in this case before casting stones, as it truly was strange weather for our area.

Comment

• Original Poster

do you really think a horse owner could not tell a difference between a sheet and a blanket?

why are COTHers such contrarians? if i posted that i like my horse in a medium weight in 80F+ you'd all be jumping up and down screaming at me to tell me what danger i'm putting my horse in.

Comment

I am guilty of sometimes leaving my horse's sheet on him when I feed early in the morning and it's still chilly. Then, I go to work. As is often typical in the Midwest, it could go from 30* in the morning to 80* by noon, with no warning at all. I can't leave work, drive an hour to take his blanket off if it gets warm, and drive an hour back to work. So, he stays in it until I get home and is no worse for the wear.
                                Perhaps there was no one at the barn at the time to remove blankets when it got warmer? Maybe there is something more sinister going on at the facility...maybe not. But, it is still good advice for those with retirees to visit them regularly, because you never know if you don't check.

Comment

This happens to owners across the states where a "concerned" person DECIDES that since they can not see water buckets..horses are thirsty...people driving by a farm at 60 mph call animal control because they claim they can't see any hay and the horsey's LOOK hungry ???? how one would see all that at 60 mph I don't know.

Your friend could have stopped and asked...would not even have to be confrontational. Could have said..gosh..I see you are protecting your horses from the sun. Can you tell me what type of blanket you use?

This just smells of a set up
                                  The Elephant in the room

Comment

Originally posted by marta View Post
                                    do you really think a horse owner could not tell a difference between a sheet and a blanket?

why are COTHers such contrarians? if i posted that i like my horse in a medium weight in 80F+ you'd all be jumping up and down screaming at me to tell me what danger i'm putting my horse in.
                                    Thi is what you posted

i got a call yesterday from my BO asking if i know anyone at a local retirement facility, Fawn Run Farm in East Amwell, NJ, b/c the horses are out in blankets. it was well over 80F yesterday and the day before.

If they were there they could have checked...sounds like they were driving by and couldn't see what type of blanket it was.
                                    The Elephant in the room

Comment

*** I wasn't intentionally trying to be contradictory, I was merely pointing out that there could be legitimate reasons that the blanket/s were still on before jumping on the 'oh what horrible people!' Bandwagon.

Comment

• Original Poster

Fairfax

I specifically noted that I removed the name of the barn from my original post following NJ Drive's post. Why are you reposting it if you're truly concerned about my judgment?

And as far as your question - trust me, they could tell. Do you really have to be standing next to the horse before you can tell whether it's a scrim or a blanket it's wearing?

Comment

Working...
                                        X