• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

ATTN: PA Voters-Rep. Pat Meehan Letter on horse slaughter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ATTN: PA Voters-Rep. Pat Meehan Letter on horse slaughter

    OK....so what RARA got to this guy?

    Just received a letter, paid for by taxpayers, where he is introducing bill to reinstate ban on horse slaughter.

    Am contemplating reply, but thought to give a heads up.
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

  • #2
    Originally posted by pluvinel View Post

    Just received a letter, paid for by taxpayers, where he is introducing bill to reinstate ban on horse slaughter.
    And who do you think would be paying for the USDA inspections at the plants?
    ************************
    \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

    Comment

    • Original Poster

      #3
      Originally posted by luvmytbs View Post
      And who do you think would be paying for the inspections?
      I guess I'm not big on the franking privilege.....regardless of the topic
      Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
      Alfred A. Montapert

      Comment


      • #4
        What's your point?
        Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
        http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
        http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

        Comment

        • Original Poster

          #5
          Originally posted by jenm View Post
          What's your point?
          Just making a PSA in case anyone is interested in the topic.

          Why?
          Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
          Alfred A. Montapert

          Comment


          • #6
            Good for him, I hope its sucessful. Seems they are finally using our tax dollars for something useful.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm sure you will find this difficult to believe, but most people don't need a RARA to convince them to push for a ban on using federal funds for inspection.

              U.S. Rep Pat Meehan, R-7, of Upper Darby, is calling on federal officials to enact legislation that will help stop needless horse slaughter, following news that a veteran Chester County horse trainer sold racehorses to a slaughterhouse after promising their former owners to keep them alive in new homes.

              Maybe he wants to put an end to the lies and deceit that seem to go hand and hand with horse slaughter.

              “This is a tragic example of why we need federal law to prohibit the transportation and sale of horses for slaughter in the first place,” said Meehan, who represents much of Delaware County and parts of Chester County. “Horses are not raised for human consumption, and their slaughter for sale overseas is a cruel and inhumane practice that is not consistent with our values here in Pennsylvania.

              Apparently your values are not consistent with his.
              Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
              http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
              http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

              Comment

              • Original Poster

                #8
                Be careful what you wish for.....the letter states horses "are companion animals, like dogs or cats."

                When horses are no longer considered livestock is a slippery slope.
                Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
                Alfred A. Montapert

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by pluvinel View Post
                  Be careful what you wish for.....the letter states horses "are companion animals, like dogs or cats."

                  When horses are no longer considered livestock is a slippery slope.
                  That is what animal rights extremists are after, no surprise that is what they work for and defend, here, on a horse web site from all places.

                  Do let that fellow know there is other out there than animal rights extremists activists and their $ and why designating horses other than the customary livestock is a very-bad-idea.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jenm View Post
                    I'm sure you will find this difficult to believe, but most people don't need a RARA to convince them to push for a ban on using federal funds for inspection.

                    U.S. Rep Pat Meehan, R-7, of Upper Darby, is calling on federal officials to enact legislation that will help stop needless horse slaughter, following news that a veteran Chester County horse trainer sold racehorses to a slaughterhouse after promising their former owners to keep them alive in new homes.

                    Maybe he wants to put an end to the lies and deceit that seem to go hand and hand with horse slaughter.

                    “This is a tragic example of why we need federal law to prohibit the transportation and sale of horses for slaughter in the first place,” said Meehan, who represents much of Delaware County and parts of Chester County. “Horses are not raised for human consumption, and their slaughter for sale overseas is a cruel and inhumane practice that is not consistent with our values here in Pennsylvania.

                    Apparently your values are not consistent with his.
                    Utopia crashed and burned. I noticed you had nary a words to state when the horses were seized, starving and some dead...in that wonderful field YOU presented as THE solution to slaughter.

                    Please share those journalistic profound thoughts with us.

                    Your values don't have a solution.

                    Wait until the tax payer gets wind of tens of millions of dollars that could have gone to education or trade training...up in smoke...but then you are dumb like a fox...that IS what you want as the tax payer will demand ban and TAX TAX TAX...therefore no one except those horrible idle rich will be able to own a horse...THAT IS your objective isn't it? Must be as you have no solution other than tax and ban
                    The Elephant in the room

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
                      Utopia crashed and burned. I noticed you had nary a words to state when the horses were seized, starving and some dead...in that wonderful field YOU presented as THE solution to slaughter.

                      Please share those journalistic profound thoughts with us.

                      Your values don't have a solution.

                      Wait until the tax payer gets wind of tens of millions of dollars that could have gone to education or trade training...up in smoke...but then you are dumb like a fox...that IS what you want as the tax payer will demand ban and TAX TAX TAX...therefore no one except those horrible idle rich will be able to own a horse...THAT IS your objective isn't it? Must be as you have no solution other than tax and ban
                      Please!
                      Leave the foxes out of this!
                      Originally posted by BigMama1
                      Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                      GNU Terry Prachett

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks for letting me know. I'm write a letter telling him I support this Though I'm not Republican (or in his congressional district), I got to know Meehan a bit when he was U.S. Attorney and thought he did a great job.

                        No RARA got to him. Believe it or not, most of his constituency in the "horse rich" suburbs of Philadelphia does not support horse slaughter

                        Edited to add: My horses are "like dogs and cats," not like livestock. If that makes me a RARA, so be it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          E-mail to Congressman Meehan sent

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Discobold View Post
                            Thanks for letting me know. I'm write a letter telling him I support this Though I'm not Republican (or in his congressional district), I got to know Meehan a bit when he was U.S. Attorney and thought he did a great job.

                            No RARA got to him. Believe it or not, most of his constituency in the "horse rich" suburbs of Philadelphia does not support horse slaughter

                            Edited to add: My horses are "like dogs and cats," not like livestock. If that makes me a RARA, so be it.
                            I live in Delaware County PA. I can only speak for my personal friends, and we do not support the inhumane process of slaughtering horses. We are not for banning slaughter.

                            We grew up with fox hunting clubs, and riding stables all over the place here. This is not an area full of animal rights extremists. I highly doubt any "RARA" got to him. He's just trying to get involved in the horse heritage of this area. Perhaps incorrectly, but if he is interested, he will learn.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Discobold View Post
                              Thanks for letting me know. I'm write a letter telling him I support this Though I'm not Republican (or in his congressional district), I got to know Meehan a bit when he was U.S. Attorney and thought he did a great job.

                              No RARA got to him. Believe it or not, most of his constituency in the "horse rich" suburbs of Philadelphia does not support horse slaughter

                              Edited to add: My horses are "like dogs and cats," not like livestock. If that makes me a RARA, so be it.
                              Do you realize that if animal rights extremists get the law changed for animals, here horses, as companions and humans their guardians, as they tried to do in Colorado two years ago, anyone can then sue you in the name of your pet if they don't think you are caring for it properly?

                              Yes, silly you think, but that is called nuisance suits, can be a neighbor you made mad or who knows, some extremist that think no one should have animals, but legally, you open a veritable can of worms if that passes.

                              Remember, the HSUS put all on notice that 20013 was going to be the year they would put out one abuse video out a month and have a big drive to lobby for all kinds of laws.
                              Guess they have to put those 50 lawyers working for them to some use and for those, that is job security.

                              Those that complain about where their taxes go, think about where your donations to certain already immensely rich non-profits go, to fight just what you are so fond of, the rights to having animals to care for and enjoy in all you do with them, here horses.

                              I hope that, once everyone realizes what animal rights extremist groups are after, no more excusing that when their paws are seen in any and everything without their gloves on, the public eyes will finally be open.
                              You can buy the media only so long, eventually someone will start catching on.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by Dispatcher View Post
                                I live in Delaware County PA. I can only speak for my personal friends, and we do not support the inhumane process of slaughtering horses. We are not for banning slaughter.
                                You should let him know how you feel. I am all for the democratic process. I am sure there are people with many different viewpoints in Delaware and Chester County and perhaps I shouldn't have speculated about how "most" feel. I also can only speak for my family and friends. But Congressman Meehan is not politically naive.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by Discobold View Post
                                  You should let him know how you feel. I am all for the democratic process. I am sure there are people with many different viewpoints in Delaware and Chester County and perhaps I shouldn't have speculated about how "most" feel. I also can only speak for my family and friends.
                                  Agreed--many viewpoints!

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Keep an eye on this - it could go bad even if you DO approve of the thought

                                    In NJ last Sept,
                                    Gov. Chris Christie signed a bill on Friday that bans horse slaughter in New Jersey (A-2023).
                                    The bill, which passed the state Senate and Assembly, prohibits the in-state slaughter of horses, transportation of horses to slaughter and the sale of horse meat for human consumption.
                                    “This bi-partisan measure is a nod to our decency and respect for horses in our state, ensuring that no horse is slaughtered in New Jersey for human consumption,” Christie said.
                                    The bill was originally sponsored by Assemblyman Ronald Dancer (R-12) and passed the Assembly with a vote of 72-3 on May 24.
                                    The bill that went through the Assembly replaced an identical Senate bill sponsored by Sen. Raymond Lesniak (D-20) and passed the Senate on June 25 with a vote of 35-4.


                                    Those found guilty of horse slaughter or selling horse meat for human consumption will be charged with a disorderly persons offense, subject to a fine of at least $100 and imprisonment for at least 30 days.
                                    The individual will also face civil fines of $500 to $1,000 for each horse slaughtered for human consumption.


                                    If you are anti-slaughter it sounds good right?

                                    Well then, why did the horse council and most other horse groups oppose it?

                                    from the Farm Bureau

                                    [SIZE=2]"However, amendments added in committee to the bills now ban the transport of horses to slaughter for human consumption and the transport of horse meat for human consumption are problematic, with no restrictions on enforcement, and quite likely a violation of interstate and international trade.

                                    As written, transportation within the state would be enforced by NJSCPA agents who are also cited as the direct beneficiaries of the proposed fines!

                                    With no guidance on how to prove someone is transporting to slaughter for human consumption this could lead to severe harassment of responsible horse owners. Many horses move between the US and Canada competing at New Jersey and Canadian tracks and events. This connection to Canada is all an agent would need to stop and ask about where you are transporting a horse.

                                    Language in the bill also talks about horses as pets confusing the current designation of horses as livestock. This would open the door for further enforcement by the NJSPCA on horse owners and undermine the Department of Agriculture’s humane standards for domestic livestock. "[/SIZE]


                                    We haven't seen a problem yet, but it effectively gives the ASPCA and not the police or the Department of Agriculture the right to stop you and ask you to show you are NOT transporting your horse to slaughter or for sale for slaughter.

                                    Since ASPCA people in state have been responsible for some weird complaints against people - including the guy who was taken to court and fined for animal abuse after he trapped some rats in his yard where his grandchildren played (the rats came from a local fast food place nearby) and then killed them when he couldn't find any other way to dispose of them.

                                    Animal control said they wouldn't handle them and that it was illegal to drop them off in another neighborhood (understandable). Don't remember all the details, but the AC guy found out he killed the rats in the have-a-heart trap and filed an animal cruelty case against him. There are many other crazy tales of these folks.

                                    So we now have given them the right to stop your trailer on the highway and ask you where you are taking your horse. Do YOU carry proof you aren't bringing your horse to New Holland or the like? Remember THEY get to keep the fines they levy against you

                                    Many reasonable horse folk were against this. Unfortunately the anti-slaughter folks only saw a step toward ending slaughter and didn't read the whole thing/ decided "if I'm not doing anything wrong, a little inconvenience shouldn't be a problem"

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Drive NJ View Post
                                      In NJ last Sept,
                                      Gov. Chris Christie signed a bill on Friday that bans horse slaughter in New Jersey (A-2023).
                                      The bill, which passed the state Senate and Assembly, prohibits the in-state slaughter of horses, transportation of horses to slaughter and the sale of horse meat for human consumption.
                                      “This bi-partisan measure is a nod to our decency and respect for horses in our state, ensuring that no horse is slaughtered in New Jersey for human consumption,” Christie said.
                                      The bill was originally sponsored by Assemblyman Ronald Dancer (R-12) and passed the Assembly with a vote of 72-3 on May 24.
                                      The bill that went through the Assembly replaced an identical Senate bill sponsored by Sen. Raymond Lesniak (D-20) and passed the Senate on June 25 with a vote of 35-4.


                                      Those found guilty of horse slaughter or selling horse meat for human consumption will be charged with a disorderly persons offense, subject to a fine of at least $100 and imprisonment for at least 30 days.
                                      The individual will also face civil fines of $500 to $1,000 for each horse slaughtered for human consumption.


                                      If you are anti-slaughter it sounds good right?

                                      Well then, why did the horse council and most other horse groups oppose it?

                                      from the Farm Bureau

                                      [SIZE=2]"However, amendments added in committee to the bills now ban the transport of horses to slaughter for human consumption and the transport of horse meat for human consumption are problematic, with no restrictions on enforcement, and quite likely a violation of interstate and international trade.

                                      As written, transportation within the state would be enforced by NJSCPA agents who are also cited as the direct beneficiaries of the proposed fines!

                                      With no guidance on how to prove someone is transporting to slaughter for human consumption this could lead to severe harassment of responsible horse owners. Many horses move between the US and Canada competing at New Jersey and Canadian tracks and events. This connection to Canada is all an agent would need to stop and ask about where you are transporting a horse.

                                      Language in the bill also talks about horses as pets confusing the current designation of horses as livestock. This would open the door for further enforcement by the NJSPCA on horse owners and undermine the Department of Agriculture’s humane standards for domestic livestock. "[/SIZE]


                                      We haven't seen a problem yet, but it effectively gives the ASPCA and not the police or the Department of Agriculture the right to stop you and ask you to show you are NOT transporting your horse to slaughter or for sale for slaughter.

                                      Since ASPCA people in state have been responsible for some weird complaints against people - including the guy who was taken to court and fined for animal abuse after he trapped some rats in his yard where his grandchildren played (the rats came from a local fast food place nearby) and then killed them when he couldn't find any other way to dispose of them.

                                      Animal control said they wouldn't handle them and that it was illegal to drop them off in another neighborhood (understandable). Don't remember all the details, but the AC guy found out he killed the rats in the have-a-heart trap and filed an animal cruelty case against him. There are many other crazy tales of these folks.

                                      So we now have given them the right to stop your trailer on the highway and ask you where you are taking your horse. Do YOU carry proof you aren't bringing your horse to New Holland or the like? Remember THEY get to keep the fines they levy against you

                                      Many reasonable horse folk were against this. Unfortunately the anti-slaughter folks only saw a step toward ending slaughter and didn't read the whole thing/ decided "if I'm not doing anything wrong, a little inconvenience shouldn't be a problem"
                                      Oh, goody.

                                      So every time you shove a few horses in a stock trailer, they can pull you over.

                                      AND they get the fines?!
                                      Originally posted by BigMama1
                                      Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                                      GNU Terry Prachett

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Of course - every state needs more money somehow.

                                        Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                                        Oh, goody.

                                        So every time you shove a few horses in a stock trailer, they can pull you over.

                                        AND they get the fines?!
                                        The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                                        H. Cate

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X