• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

ATTN: PA Voters-Rep. Pat Meehan Letter on horse slaughter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
    Oh, goody.

    So every time you shove a few horses in a stock trailer, they can pull you over.

    AND they get the fines?!
    Pfft, you can be stopped in Kentucky already and asked to show your health cert. No biggie.

    Comment


    • #22
      I'd be less worried if it was the State Police or local police pulling you over asking if you were transporting to slaughter... but it's the SPCA who can decide to pull you over and fine you.

      How are you supposed to know to pull over for them? We are giving police powers to ASPCA... is the next step giving them cars with the flashing lights?

      Comment


      • #23
        Horses are livestock not pets.
        Be careful what you wish for. If horses are considered pets, alot of people will suffer the consequences.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by Dare1 View Post
          Horses are livestock not pets.
          Be careful what you wish for. If horses are considered pets, alot of people will suffer the consequences.
          That is the intent of the current hard drive by animal rights extremists, to disrupt all we do with animals, horses included, passing hard to follow rules and regulations, impeding us at every place they can do so.
          Remember, "one generation and no more domestic animals and none too soon for me" was their mantra years ago, before that became a bit less PC as people started to wake up to them.

          I think that would be clear by now to the most naive of their followers.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by jenm View Post
            Maybe he wants to put an end to the lies and deceit that seem to go hand and hand with horse slaughter.
            Change "horse slaughter" to "horse rescue".... follow the headlines and it seems rescues have just as many issues with lies and deceit, dead bodies, horrible deaths, etc.

            It's so easy to paint everyone involved with the same brush,
            but it's amazing when that brush is aimed at one's own industry how quickly the battle cry becomes
            "There are plenty of good ones out there!"
            "Only the bad stuff hits the news!"
            "Don't compare someone as great as X with someone like Y!!!!"

            Interesting how considering everyone in one industry to be the same only applies to the other guy.

            Both sides are constantly guilty of this, sigh.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
              Change "horse slaughter" to "horse rescue".... follow the headlines and it seems rescues have just as many issues with lies and deceit, dead bodies, horrible deaths, etc.

              It's so easy to paint everyone involved with the same brush,
              but it's amazing when that brush is aimed at one's own industry how quickly the battle cry becomes
              "There are plenty of good ones out there!"
              "Only the bad stuff hits the news!"
              "Don't compare someone as great as X with someone like Y!!!!"

              Interesting how considering everyone in one industry to be the same only applies to the other guy.

              Both sides are constantly guilty of this, sigh.
              Very well stated
              The Elephant in the room

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
                Interesting how considering everyone in one industry to be the same only applies to the other guy.

                Both sides are constantly guilty of this, sigh.
                That is an inaccurate and unfair generalization. I'm far from perfect, but I have NEVER, NEVER defended a bad rescue. These are just handful of the many threads in which I have spoken out about bad rescues or offered advice, including suggestions as to how the bad rescues could be prosecuted:

                http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ed-in-WV/page7

                http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ed-in-WV/page7

                http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-mistake/page6

                http://vb4test.chronofhorse.com/foru...NY-AG-sues-TRF

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                  Pfft, you can be stopped in Kentucky already and asked to show your health cert. No biggie.
                  Health certificate.
                  Yes, that is common.

                  But hey, now you have to prove where you are going.
                  Now HOW do you do that?

                  And BTW, a question I had a while ago: If you can't ship lame and injured horses - to slaughter - how do you think it will work out when the SPCA is now pulling over trailers, Say, on the way to the vet clinic? Or from an even where Dobbins took a bad step or did something stupid....

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Good point.

                    Originally posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
                    Change "horse slaughter" to "horse rescue".... follow the headlines and it seems rescues have just as many issues with lies and deceit, dead bodies, horrible deaths, etc.

                    It's so easy to paint everyone involved with the same brush,
                    but it's amazing when that brush is aimed at one's own industry how quickly the battle cry becomes
                    "There are plenty of good ones out there!"
                    "Only the bad stuff hits the news!"
                    "Don't compare someone as great as X with someone like Y!!!!"

                    Interesting how considering everyone in one industry to be the same only applies to the other guy.

                    Both sides are constantly guilty of this, sigh.
                    The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                    H. Cate

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      The SPCA is the scary part.


                      Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                      Health certificate.
                      Yes, that is common.

                      But hey, now you have to prove where you are going.
                      Now HOW do you do that?

                      And BTW, a question I had a while ago: If you can't ship lame and injured horses - to slaughter - how do you think it will work out when the SPCA is now pulling over trailers, Say, on the way to the vet clinic? Or from an even where Dobbins took a bad step or did something stupid....
                      The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                      H. Cate

                      Comment


                      • #31
                        Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                        Health certificate.
                        Yes, that is common.

                        But hey, now you have to prove where you are going.
                        Now HOW do you do that?
                        The National Animal Identification System would require you to do just that.

                        "The primary purpose of a national identification system is to address animal health emergencies. The national program affects all livestock groups, including horses. While the initial focus has been on food livestock, other industry groups are expected to develop their own national identification plan for future participation. Horses are susceptible to several diseases which are foreign to the United States and would possibly be a cause for concern in regard to human and horse health."

                        Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                        And BTW, a question I had a while ago: If you can't ship lame and injured horses - to slaughter - how do you think it will work out when the SPCA is now pulling over trailers, Say, on the way to the vet clinic? Or from an even where Dobbins took a bad step or did something stupid....
                        Anyone can tell the difference between a private trailer and a slaughter transport with 30 horses or more in a trailer being pulled by a commercial vehicle (DOT and all that).

                        Gee, you are really reaching, as usual.
                        ************************
                        \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          Originally posted by luvmytbs View Post
                          Anyone can tell the difference between a private trailer and a slaughter transport with 30 horses or more in a trailer being pulled by a commercial vehicle (DOT and all that).

                          Gee, you are really reaching, as usual.
                          Ah, excellent point! It's not that common to see a trailer full of loose horses going to a horse show. Heck, even the polo ponies are tied in their big stock type trailers.
                          Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
                          http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
                          http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

                          Comment


                          • #33
                            Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                            That is the intent of the current hard drive by animal rights extremists, to disrupt all we do with animals, horses included, passing hard to follow rules and regulations, impeding us at every place they can do so.
                            Remember, "one generation and no more domestic animals and none too soon for me" was their mantra years ago, before that became a bit less PC as people started to wake up to them.

                            I think that would be clear by now to the most naive of their followers.
                            You're still using that quote taken out of context from 1993? And yet you and your pro slaughter buddies all complained about "old" quotes/videos from 2007-2010 that anti commercial slaughter people used in those threads? And complained that Temple Grandin's quotes were taken out of context when she said that she saw no way that horse slaughter in the US woukd be humane due to the cost, which the Slaughter houses wouldn't pay, and that every time she turns her back, humane violations occur. And that is on video...Not just part of a quote from 20 yrs ago, referring to heirloom cattle.

                            Comment


                            • #34
                              Originally posted by luvmytbs View Post
                              The National Animal Identification System would require you to do just that.

                              "The primary purpose of a national identification system is to address animal health emergencies. The national program affects all livestock groups, including horses. While the initial focus has been on food livestock, other industry groups are expected to develop their own national identification plan for future participation. Horses are susceptible to several diseases which are foreign to the United States and would possibly be a cause for concern in regard to human and horse health."



                              Anyone can tell the difference between a private trailer and a slaughter transport with 30 horses or more in a trailer being pulled by a commercial vehicle (DOT and all that).

                              Gee, you are really reaching, as usual.
                              Originally posted by jenm View Post
                              Ah, excellent point! It's not that common to see a trailer full of loose horses going to a horse show. Heck, even the polo ponies are tied in their big stock type trailers.

                              It does not seem to specify in the NJ law whether or not professional or private rig or operator.
                              Nor identification system.
                              But of course, you now assume that only KBs ship their horses lose in the rig.


                              And it puts the fox in charge, benefiting from the fines.
                              You know how big the outcry is when rumors surface that troopers and cops get a kick back from tickets they write....this does not bother you?

                              Or do you think you are magically immune, because you spread their agenda?

                              Little hint:
                              Read a bill by the letter, not by the intend you assume is behind it! The devil is in the detail and with the players who are pulling the strings, don't assume it's oversight!

                              Comment


                              • #35
                                Just a note regarding LIVESTOCK
                                Please be aware that how you feel about your large herbivore has nothing to do with whether it is or should be livestock:
                                Where it must be kept (not in a house, for instance) and whether it is useful (in an economic, not companionable sense) are the criteria for designating livestock.
                                You can love and have companionable livestock that is also useful.

                                I think it is possible to be against one 'use', such as slaughter, without in any way agreeing with moving toward 'companion' status vs. 'livestock' and I hope others can become very clear on this as well.



                                Dictionary definitions

                                "the horses, cattle, sheep, and other useful animals kept or raised on a farm or ranch"
                                "Farm animals, with the exception of poultry. In Western countries the category encompasses primarily cattle, sheep, pigs, goats, horses, donkeys, and mules; other animals (e.g., buffalo, oxen, or camels) may predominate in other areas."

                                "the horses, cattle, sheep, and other useful animals kept or raised on a farm or ranch."
                                "cattle, horses, poultry, and similar animals kept for domestic use but not as pets, esp on a farm or ranch "

                                "Livestock is usually defined to refer to horses, mares, mules, jacks, jennies, colts, cows, calves, yearlings, bulls, oxen, sheep, goats, lambs, kids, hogs, shoats and pigs.
                                States regulate livestock to promote health and welfare and prevent damage and injury caused by their uncontrolled roaming on others' property. There often are statutes that regulate the obligations of livestock owners to keep their livestock off of public highways and that provide for liability when livestock wander onto the public road and collide with a motor vehicle or railway train. "
                                http://definitions.uslegal.com/l/livestock/

                                The 2 questions are 'Where does it live?' and 'Is it useful?'
                                NOT do I enjoy being with it because I like the animal.

                                Comment


                                • #36
                                  Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                                  It does not seem to specify in the NJ law whether or not professional or private rig or operator.
                                  Nor identification system.
                                  But of course, you now assume that only KBs ship their horses lose in the rig.

                                  This NJ legislation was signed into law in September of 2012.

                                  Provide us with some examples of any horse trailer pulling citizen being pulled over by the NJSPCA.

                                  And did they hire more staff just to sit on the road and wait for fair game?

                                  This fear mongering is really out of control - on all levels.
                                  ************************
                                  \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

                                  Comment


                                  • #37
                                    Originally posted by luvmytbs View Post
                                    Anyone can tell the difference between a private trailer and a slaughter transport with 30 horses or more in a trailer being pulled by a commercial vehicle (DOT and all that).

                                    Gee, you are really reaching, as usual.
                                    Since I don't live anywhere near a slaughterhouse that processes horses - but I HAVE lived near slaughterhouses that process cattle - I'm just going to have to toss this question out there...

                                    If cattle can be brought to a slaughterhouse in a small trailer, just a few at a time, why do horses have to be brought 30+ at a time, pulled by a commercial trailer "DOT and all that"?

                                    In fact, maybe it's just because I lived near rinky dink slaughter houses, but even though I saw the double-decker trailers, I saw quite a few... OK, a lot... of small trailers too. So I wouldn't rule out a 2 horse trailer from "hauling to slaughter".

                                    As far as health certificates "proving where you're going" in another post... I guess no one can really prove where you're going but when I get a health certificate, I'm asked to provide an address - right down to street address - where I'm going. I suppose if you provide the street address of a slaughterhouse then that proves you're transporting horses to slaughter. If you provide the street address of a horse show, clinic, trainer, state park, etc., and you are sufficiently en route then that should be proof enough.

                                    I am curious how an ASPCA "officer" is going to pull me over though.

                                    Comment


                                    • #38
                                      Yes exactly.

                                      Originally posted by D_BaldStockings View Post
                                      Just a note regarding LIVESTOCK
                                      Please be aware that how you feel about your large herbivore has nothing to do with whether it is or should be livestock:
                                      Where it must be kept (not in a house, for instance) and whether it is useful (in an economic, not companionable sense) are the criteria for designating livestock.
                                      You can love and have companionable livestock that is also useful.

                                      I think it is possible to be against one 'use', such as slaughter, without in any way agreeing with moving toward 'companion' status vs. 'livestock' and I hope others can become very clear on this as well.



                                      Dictionary definitions

                                      "the horses, cattle, sheep, and other useful animals kept or raised on a farm or ranch"
                                      "Farm animals, with the exception of poultry. In Western countries the category encompasses primarily cattle, sheep, pigs, goats, horses, donkeys, and mules; other animals (e.g., buffalo, oxen, or camels) may predominate in other areas."

                                      "the horses, cattle, sheep, and other useful animals kept or raised on a farm or ranch."
                                      "cattle, horses, poultry, and similar animals kept for domestic use but not as pets, esp on a farm or ranch "

                                      "Livestock is usually defined to refer to horses, mares, mules, jacks, jennies, colts, cows, calves, yearlings, bulls, oxen, sheep, goats, lambs, kids, hogs, shoats and pigs.
                                      States regulate livestock to promote health and welfare and prevent damage and injury caused by their uncontrolled roaming on others' property. There often are statutes that regulate the obligations of livestock owners to keep their livestock off of public highways and that provide for liability when livestock wander onto the public road and collide with a motor vehicle or railway train. "
                                      http://definitions.uslegal.com/l/livestock/

                                      The 2 questions are 'Where does it live?' and 'Is it useful?'
                                      NOT do I enjoy being with it because I like the animal.
                                      The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                                      H. Cate

                                      Comment


                                      • #39
                                        we do not support the inhumane process of slaughtering horses. We are not for banning slaughter.

                                        We grew up with fox hunting clubs, and riding stables all over the place here. This is not an area full of animal rights extremists. I highly doubt any "RARA" got to him. He's just trying to get involved in the horse heritage of this area. Perhaps incorrectly, but if he is interested, he will learn.
                                        Well said...when you BAN Slaughter you also create a worse situation of what to do with ALL unwanted, unsound, unuseable horses...and if he is not going to create affordable assisted euthanasia available with a disposal for ALL horses there will be an even bigger problem.

                                        Comment


                                        • #40
                                          Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                                          Health certificate.
                                          Yes, that is common.

                                          But hey, now you have to prove where you are going.
                                          Now HOW do you do that?

                                          And BTW, a question I had a while ago: If you can't ship lame and injured horses - to slaughter - how do you think it will work out when the SPCA is now pulling over trailers, Say, on the way to the vet clinic? Or from an even where Dobbins took a bad step or did something stupid....
                                          I would think that most people would be able to tell the difference between an owner shipping their horse to the nearest vet for treatment, whether it be a lovely trailer designed for hauling horses or a stock trailer used for many purposes on the farm, to that of an obviously lame(and it would have to be a visibly lame,sick horse, in amongst many others) to trigger cause for alarm...geez, I know you don't have much experience hauling horses, so really, don't be so paranoid! Your lack of knowledge when it comes to this sort of thing really shines through in your posts.
                                          "Anti-intellect and marketing, pretty, pretty, who needs talent
                                          Crying eyes, we're so outnumbered, fight for the right to remain silent" Buck 65

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X