• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

ATTN: PA Voters-Rep. Pat Meehan Letter on horse slaughter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sannois View Post
    Well Aparently things are crashing and burning again, if it is so over her head why do you not clarify.
    What video of a Kill chute, There are so many, what are you referring to in an above post.
    The New Mexico plant, you know the one we've been discussing all afternoon. That suddenly for some reason no one knows anything about even though it's been posted on here before, it's been in the news. The idiot that shot horse out of spite contracts for them. The one that clearly is a cattle chute and kill box. The USA's first plant since the shut down. Ready to rock and roll. That plant. Not TX, not Canada, not Mexico, not IL but Roswell, New Mexico.

Comment

• You are welcome for the smile - however tongue in cheek you meant it.

Yes you are posting links as to what is becoming NOT available.

What industry really isn't in trouble right now?? Ok besides politics.

Why are there thousands of unwanted horses in feed lots?? Why are they not being processed?? Are they being held in the hopes that a plant in the US is going to open?? Or for the quarantine issues??

Since the plants in the US closed, have we really learned anything from the mistakes made?? Judging from the New Mexico incident, you really have to wonder.

What did we used to do in the old old days?? Before the pink juice???

Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
      Thank you for bringing a smile to my face on this cold wintery day.

I say. almost every other post..slaughter is only ONE piece of the puzzle.

I have pointed out that the USDA is saying NO to rendering and I posted their paper and their link.

I have posted information and links to water conservation groups demanding NO buried carcass.

I have posted that incineration "appears" to be the only non contaminant solution the USDA has discovered.

I have stated I support euthanization clinics. I support rescues (but definitely not all) and I have also stated rescues are now in trouble in many parts of the country.

I helped with a hay emergency bank for 3 years and involved myself with a lady in Scottsdale to come up with unique solutions to save "useful" meaning 2 years and up to ?? but not dangerous Saddlebreds...get them trained and into new homes.

There are thousands of unwanted horses in the feed lots right now...in Canada and the U.S.A. I have heard that 7 or 8 lots that can handle from 3-6 THOUSAND horses EACH have no room in the inn.

HSUS AND USDA give the numbers of horses excess at 100,000

We have had numerous examples from individuals who have attended sales and no one (meaning a fresh face new owner bids)

Since there is a demand for horse meat AND PRODUCTS from the rest of the horse and there are so many ground issues it IS one piece of the puzzle. When there is no need, there will be no slaughter plants
      The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
      H. Cate

Comment

• Originally posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
        You are welcome for the smile - however tongue in cheek you meant it.

Yes you are posting links as to what is becoming NOT available.

What industry really isn't in trouble right now?? Ok besides politics.

Why are there thousands of unwanted horses in feed lots?? Why are they not being processed?? Are they being held in the hopes that a plant in the US is going to open?? Or for the quarantine issues??

Since the plants in the US closed, have we really learned anything from the mistakes made?? Judging from the New Mexico incident, you really have to wonder.

What did we used to do in the old old days?? Before the pink juice???
        Until recently, most horses went to a horse sale or directly to slaughter.
        Believe it or not, until about 1970's, there was plenty of horse meat consumed in the USA, always has been.
        Cheap, abundant and very good grain fed chickens, pork and beef displaced practically all other meats, lamb, goat, rabbit and horse, these past decades, as grain crops became larger and easier to transport.

Comment

• I bet you didn't read the comments.

Originally posted by Sannois View Post
          Here is an article from yesterday.
          Thoughts?
          http://trib.com/news/state-and-regio...ment_form=true
          H. Cate

Comment

I bet you didn't read the comments.
            I don't think sannois is aware that Sue Wallis has her own thread here on COTH.
            \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Comment

• Originally posted by luvmytbs View Post
              Yes I read the Comments.
              I asked what you thought.. Oh never mind.
              I am going to say it Bluey, I have finally reached the end of my rope.
              This is a lost cause, so here goes.
              NEVER try to teach a pig to sing! It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

And before you go all off the handle it is an expression, not calling people people pigs. just that is is an exercise in futility, like this topic!
              Good luck!

Comment

Yes I read the Comments.

And before you go all off the handle it is an expression, not calling people people pigs. just that is is an exercise in futility, like this topic!
                Good luck!
                Some poster had that in their signature, don't remember who it was.

Comment

• Originally posted by 7arabians View Post
                  Fines owed by an SH in Texas which cannot operate in Texas is irrelevant to New Mexico. Once again, you're playing a shell game. Valley Meats meets Temple Grandin's standards for humane horse slaughter. That captive bolt gun looked perfect!
                  The idea of any of the horses I have known and loved ending their lives with a crowded trip to an abattoir to get a captive bolt to the head and be slaughtered makes me want to cry. Does this make me a devoted horse owner, or a RARA?

Comment

Yes I read the Comments.

Good luck!
                    so you finally got tired of playing chess with the pigeons in the park!

Comment

• Originally posted by twelvebelles View Post
                      The idea of any of the horses I have known and loved ending their lives with a crowded trip to an abattoir to get a captive bolt to the head and be slaughtered makes me want to cry. Does this make me a devoted horse owner, or a RARA?

Well, let me see:
                      What actions do you intend to implement?

See: You are well within your rights to end the lives of your horses as you see fit.
                      If you don't see it fit for them to go to slaughter, regardless of the ride to the place, that is your prerogative.

Now, do you think your neighbor should not send his horses away, because you feel like crying about it?

The first makes you a sentimental fool. Which isn't bad, we all do have our moments. I cried when my fish died, and my kid's mice....

The latter would move you toward the radical fringe.

But considering who you quoted when you asked the question.....

welcome newbie to the insanity of the slaughter threads.

Comment

Here is an article from yesterday.
                        Thoughts?
                        http://trib.com/news/state-and-regio...ment_form=true
                        You might do your research on Sue wallis... She is not known for her truthfulness, and has a direct conflict of interest on whether horse slaughter is allowed in the US.

Comment

• I did read the article - I also read the comments underneath. I don't remember reading even one that was complimentary to Ms. Wallis.

Originally posted by luvmytbs View Post
                          H. Cate

Comment

• I think having horse meat in the super market ended before the 70's. I vaguely remember it in the store when I was very young. (Not to date myself or anything......)
                            So there was an economic reason why we stopped eating horse. I'm curious how it happened.
                            So much has changed since then - I would imagine we didn't have the drug issues with it that we do now either.

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                            Until recently, most horses went to a horse sale or directly to slaughter.
                            Believe it or not, until about 1970's, there was plenty of horse meat consumed in the USA, always has been.
                            Cheap, abundant and very good grain fed chickens, pork and beef displaced practically all other meats, lamb, goat, rabbit and horse, these past decades, as grain crops became larger and easier to transport.
                            H. Cate

Comment

• Originally posted by sunridge1 View Post
                              So the other doctors murder people and this guy just stays? Or he is surrounded by people that murder? Either way, how is this even a comparison? You're really reaching here.
                              Google Dr. James Orbinski

During the uprising he stood firm and protected, at the clinic in Rwanda those who could not fend for themselves.

It is very relevant. He did what had to be done. He treated people.

I pointed this out to the comment that it did not matter what was happening NOW as this person had a memory of past abuse with slaughter that was forever going to taint her outlook.

She is passionate about horses

All I hear from Mary and others are comments that border on making one question her ability to comprehend the written word.

Then..all I had to do was remember...Sunridge is Mary from Trot...Always negative and always JUST HAD THAT EXPERIENCE and always on top of the gang pile in the school yard.

The fact she has no knowledge obviously of Rwanda and the genocide and it was only twenty years ago BUT NOT in the U.S.A. gives me a greater insight as to her posts and her "just missing the point"

Look at how she states..so the other doctors murder people...no where did I state other doctors murdered anyone...and that is why I now understand why she is able to comprehend any change in the slaughter industry or in the equine industry

One less to worry about...
                              The Elephant in the room

Comment

I think having horse meat in the super market ended before the 70's. I vaguely remember it in the store when I was very young. (Not to date myself or anything......)
                                So there was an economic reason why we stopped eating horse. I'm curious how it happened.
                                So much has changed since then - I would imagine we didn't have the drug issues with it that we do now either.
                                Yes, so much has changed, mainly non-profit organizations have found their golden goose in polarization and disrupting and dysfunction as a great tool for their fund raising, in plain words, their "causes of the moment", that have given them a home run of riches beyond measure, millions a year in donations, from the smallest kid sending it's weekly allowance to "save the kitten in the envelope picture" to the older lady that leaves her money to the good "humane" people that "help" animals.

That is part of why our society, to the amazement of the rest of the world, has been waging a war against our uses of animals, remember, polarizating, as here and finding dysfunction any place and using that for their propaganda as if it was normal function, see how long we have been trying to explain here "it ain't quite so".

Yes, the world is changing and, unless we become a little more proactive and learn to see who is behind some of what we are told, we will eventually have some rude awakening, if the changes end up leaving us without horses to use.

Remember, "one generation and none too soon for me" was at one time a standard phrase to rally the troops, until it was questioned and not so PC any more, but it is still very much the sentiment behind all animal rights extremists are working for as long range plans.

Brave new world, hope you land softly in what is to come.

Comment

• Yes I know they do have the cute factor going for them.

It's scary to realize how little so many of these people actually know much of anything about animals let alone hores in particular.

it's very disheartening to see just how many scams there are to part people from their money.
                                  It's not just animals and they are very good at it.
                                  Remember there's always a new cause of the day. I hope tomorrow it's someone or something other than Honey Boo Boo or the Kardashian's.

May you land softly as well.

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                  Yes, so much has changed, mainly non-profit organizations have found their golden goose in polarization and disrupting and dysfunction as a great tool for their fund raising, in plain words, their "causes of the moment", that have given them a home run of riches beyond measure, millions a year in donations, from the smallest kid sending it's weekly allowance to "save the kitten in the envelope picture" to the older lady that leaves her money to the good "humane" people that "help" animals.

That is part of why our society, to the amazement of the rest of the world, has been waging a war against our uses of animals, remember, polarizating, as here and finding dysfunction any place and using that for their propaganda as if it was normal function, see how long we have been trying to explain here "it ain't quite so".

Yes, the world is changing and, unless we become a little more proactive and learn to see who is behind some of what we are told, we will eventually have some rude awakening, if the changes end up leaving us without horses to use.

Remember, "one generation and none too soon for me" was at one time a standard phrase to rally the troops, until it was questioned and not so PC any more, but it is still very much the sentiment behind all animal rights extremists are working for as long range plans.

Brave new world, hope you land softly in what is to come.
                                  H. Cate

Comment

• What Sannois and Bluey, et al fail to realize is not that we don't understand what their posts are saying, it's that we do not believe it is true or will happen. I know there are RARA's that want to see animal ownership end. But I think that believing that banning commercial horse slaughter is supporting that belief, is a paranoid delusion. Kind of like the people that believe if we allow gay marriage, that people are suddenly going to soon be able to marry their horse or dog. Or that the family unit will suddenly fall apart. Where you guys think that we are failing to understand the slippery slope argument, we are understanding what you are saying, just fine. We just disagree with your premise.

You fail to understand that one can support banning commercial horse slaughter, yet not be RARA's that want to end animal ownership.

You seem to think that we have a problem with a horse being killed and eaten. For the most part, most of us don't. It's the whole horse slaughter industry and process we have a problem with. It is rife with fraud, deception, lack of vet care in the pipeline, lack of concern for the horse's well being from auction, transport, feedlot and SH. The drug issue is the icing on the cake. Cattle can be tracked all the way back to their birth if a problem arises. Horses cannot, and in fact, the KB's are known to intentionally commit fraud to avoid anyone knowing the background of the horse and what drugs it was given.

The fact that those in the slaughter industry still have hundreds of thousands of dollars in unpaid fines, and there is no enforcement to make them pay, and no suspension of their operations until they do is another issue. The SH owners have repeatedly lied about their intentions to comply with EPA regs, wastewater treatment, etc.

The inspectors (Canadian) have been kicked out of SH's in Canada when there was a dispute, and all kinds of violations occurred, and have sent memos telling their workers to overlook contamination issues. I seriously doubt their honesty and integrity, especially if it was just concerning the humane handling of a "slaughter horse". In the US when we had slaughter here, there were USDA vets that testified before Congress that they were told by higher ups NOT to report Humane handling violations, and NOT to stop the kill line for egregious humane handling violations. I see nothing to make me believe that culture has changed.

Natural Valley in Roswell has a past (recent) of Humane violations, and EPA violations. I've seen nothing to indicate that won't happen again.

So, it's not that we don't "understand" your posts...we just don't believe the slippery slope argument, and can't support an industry with the history that Horse slaughter has.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                      Some poster had that in their signature, don't remember who it was.
                                      IT WAS ME!! I took it off years ago because no one got it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                                        so you finally got tired of playing chess with the pigeons in the park!
                                        Yup! Most certainly!

Comment

• What Sannois and Bluey, et al fail to realize is not that we don't understand what their posts are saying, it's that we do not believe it is true or will happen. I know there are RARA's that want to see animal ownership end. But I think that believing that banning commercial horse slaughter is supporting that belief, is a paranoid delusion. Kind of like the people that believe if we allow gay marriage, that people are suddenly going to soon be able to marry their horse or dog. Or that the family unit will suddenly fall apart. Where you guys think that we are failing to understand the slippery slope argument, we are understanding what you are saying, just fine. We just disagree with your premise.
                                          Well then there is nothing that can be accomplished by having this bantering back and forth. As Bluey stated change is coming, And not for the good.
                                          I hope you land softly as well.

Comment

Working...
                                          X