• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

gypsy vanner at a clinic we just had

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the Gypsy Vanners are beautiful. But then, I think horses are like flowers: the most beautiful is the one I am looking at.
    "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

Originally posted by future vet View Post
      Yep, they are cute and majikal looking from a distance. Just watch out for the sarcoptic mange mites that live in their feathers, mane and tail, they will hang out on you for a while and itch like crazy; although they won't set up house on you like it will dogs/horses/etc.
      are you implying these black & white cobs are specifically prone to sarcoptic mange? I knew lots in Ireland & never had any itchy aftereffects (even from the "horse fair" ones) ...
      & the pretty ones I've met here were certainly mite free.

Comment

• Original Poster

When I rescued my rats they had sarcoptic mange. A little (I mean little) bit of revolution cleared it right up. I never got anything, I think those mites don't live on people.

Comment

Alto, what are they priced like in Ireland? I heard they were priced pretty low in the UK but isn't Ireland more agricultural?
          “Pray, hope, and don't worry.”

St. Padre Pio

Comment

The cob I rode in Ireland
            https://plus.google.com/photos/10340...67475623459409
            Mud seemed to be a constant
            I wasn't always a Smurf
            Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
            "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
            The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

I love coloured cobs and I laugh at the American pricing for one! My yard in the UK used to keep their legs clipped and their manes hogged which I guess takes away their magical butterfly pooping ability. They were wonderful low level packers that were great for all around riding. We used them for dressage, jumping, and eventing as lesson horses and they were safe and fun and a few were even pretty athletic.

ETA: Of the several dozen that were at the farm, none had mange. In fact, I have never heard before that they are prone to it?

Comment

Originally posted by MyssMyst View Post
                My gosh! That is like having a living, breathing Barbie doll hairstyle head. You know, the big Barbie head on a pedestal. You could brush her hair to your heart's content.

That is an amazing tail.
                Sheilah

Comment

A boarder at the barn where I keep my horse has one. He can be stubborn and naughty. So much so that his owner is now afraid to ride him. He has dumped her several times this winter by spooking, bolting, and bucking. She is not a good rider so she lets him get away with stuff and now he has figured out he can be naughty. She has a time with scratches on his legs as it can be so humid here in Va.

Comment

Gypsy Vanners/Irish Tinkers are great horses! Superb personalities!
                    I LOVE my Chickens!

Comment

Honestly, I always wonder: could you braid those feathers & tie them up to keep them out of the mud? mudfeather ~mudtail? SOme of them just seem insane.

Comment

Originally posted by alto View Post
                        are you implying these black & white cobs are specifically prone to sarcoptic mange? I knew lots in Ireland & never had any itchy aftereffects (even from the "horse fair" ones) ...
                        & the pretty ones I've met here were certainly mite free.
                        Just guessing, but I bet the issue would be any hairy/feathery horse, not just colored cobs -- and not just the hairy horse but the hair plus the weather (hot and humid) and pests/mites here in the U.S. Just a "conditions are more likely" situation here in parts of the U.S. rather than the horses themselves. ??? I think that was what was meant, but correct me if I'm wrong!
                        If thou hast a sorrow, tell it not to the arrow, tell it to thy saddlebow, and ride on, singing. -- King Alfred the Great

Comment

I managed a varm of Gypsy Cobs for a year. There is a lot of hair. 1/2 the stock were breeding stallions so had to be kept as hairy as possible. Which means keeping them braided as much as possible. It made us cringe in the morning when you'd show up, look in the stall and see chunks of hair on the ground from them stepping on it. We learned that by using human cast tubing you can put the three strands in it and then braid normally and you would be able to keep it in longer. Biger cast tubing worked great to put on tails or their feathers when the farrier came (god forbid they rasped some off). I learned a lot on how to keep white white... and the curse of a gypsy.. A filly with a white tail! Impossible to clean.

Yes, several of them did have scratches, it was a PITA because you couldn't shave them ("how dare you touch a Gypsy's feathers!"). They also have tons of folds on their skin around their pasterns so it was hard to get medication in.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...035_7641_n.jpg
                          https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...4725_488_n.jpg
                          https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...485_4310_n.jpg you can see that the majority of his tail is braided. I hated braiding the whole thing during fly season... but let me tell you- when that wad of a braid hits a b52 black fly.. there is no saving it

Working there made me want to come home and pull my horse's manes. hehe. I was just bummed- I never even saw one fart a butterfly or rainbow!
                          Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

Comment

I like them. I didn't like them originally at all but ever since I got my spotted draft...thing... who kind of looks gypsy (but without the feathers) they have grown on me. Not so much that I would buy one, however, because the idea of taking care of all of that hair makes me twitch. But now I love to see pictures of them!

I love the cobby types. Wish we had more classes here in the US for the heavy hunters and cobs.

Comment

I actually really like the cob types too, and I like these cobs...but the prices for them are laughable. It's amazing the difference between a following and those who realize they're just hairy cobs without special powers.
                              "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Comment

I used to see one at the schooling jumper shows around the area, he was a bigger guy but all that hair! Somehow is owner kept it snowy white. He was pretty athletic for a bigger horse (meaning bigger as in tank).
                                Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Comment

They can be very nice and often (but not always -- depends on horse and training, like any horse) have kind and forgiving temperaments. I could pick a decent one up here for less than £1000, easy. I could have my pick of them for that price.
                                  Help me keep my horse in peppermints and enjoy a great read! My New York City crime novel, available on Amazon.

Comment

Belle: the majority of that tail is braided in the last post??!! The remaining tail is more than either of my guys have put together and one of them has a decent tail. Talk about some hair!!!
                                    RIP Mydan Mydandy+
                                    RIP Barichello

Comment

Originally posted by Puddin Pie View Post
                                      Belle: the majority of that tail is braided in the last post??!! The remaining tail is more than either of my guys have put together and one of them has a decent tail. Talk about some hair!!!
                                      I know, let me see if I can find one of his tail loose... it drags 16" on the ground!
                                      https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...065_9991_n.jpg
                                      https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...075_9743_n.jpg
                                      https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...265_7052_n.jpg
                                      ANd just for cuteness... https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...295_8270_n.jpg

I have over 4000 pictures of those horses... it became an obsession. As much as it was a PITA to keep up with them... you can't deny they are so adorable!
                                      Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

Comment

I briefly looked into them when I was shopping for a husband horse. Hubby wanted a pony. With spots. Really. Naive me thought a Gypsy vanner was just a hairy little spotted cob, like generations of Irish kids have learned to ride on. Then I saw the $25k price tags, which was the going rate at that time. DH ended up with a QH instead.

Comment

I like cobs, but not for 25k...when I was a kid I foxhunted on a lovely lovely cob, and I assure you back then, they were not pricey, at all.

Comment

Working...
                                          X