• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Boarding dilemma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At this point, I'm part of a pile-on, but sometimes people need an intervention. Something else in the OP's own words (unrelated to mats or a 2 hour trial):

OP, from your blog on April 1: "He continues to be lame with no end in sight.... Two circles of the arena at the walk and it was obvious he was not going to work out of it. In fact he started to feel worse, not better. Took him back into the barn and he was obviously uncomfortable just standing there. Felt really bad because I had no bute at the barn. While I don't like buting very often, last night he just looked miserable. When I went to pick up his right foot to give him is durasole treatment he just about fell on top of me. That made my back feel really good. Not." (Bolding mine).

From a post on April 8th in the Western Forum: "His issue is that he gets really hollow, head goes up, back goes down.... Tonight I rode him in spurs for the first time to see if a little more refinement with the ques would do anything. Discovered that he has flying lead changes! No improvement with the asking for him to lift his back though. Worked for a good 45 minutes with this before we were both getting frustrated and decided to end with some lateral work and call it good. We were both very sweaty!"

If what you say is true -- A WEEK after a horse is dead f'ing lame (with no real diagnosis in hand), you are putting him through, not a light ride, but a heavy-duty workout -- you either are not knowledgeable enough to have full care of a horse or you are blinding yourself to the fact that this is terrible horsemanship. Sorry, this is NOT "excellent care".

If you are grossly exaggerating his lameness and/or the amount of work you are doing with him, please stop posting and try to figure out why you want to get attention this way.

I truly sympathize with the loss of your horse, and your posts indicate that you are sad and frustrated. I really hope that you will start to feel better, but stepping away from horses for a bit sounds like a good idea. I wish you well.
    I don't mind if you call me a snowflake, 'cause baby, I know a blizzard is coming.

Comment

Holy crap. Poor horse.
      What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

I had posted on your other thread regarding this gelding's lameness, not realizing the magnitude of all of your other threads. Then I took the time to read your blog. So, here's my opinion, take it or leave it (and seeing how you have responded to all of these other well meaning folks, I can only guess what you will do...)

Bottom line: this horse is in your custody and you are obligated to provide care for him. Regardless of how you are feeling over the loss of your mare (which, I am truly sorry. We all know how heartbreaking that is), you took this animal on. It is YOUR responsibility to do right by him. Right now, that means providing the proper level of care until you can GIVE him to someone more capable and with the heart to do so. I say GIVE, because your horse has had an unspecified lameness problem, one you have not addressed, so do not know the severity of. You should not be SELLING him to any potential buyers, as you do not truly know the soundness of this horse. It is unethical and unfair to do anything other then full disclosure here.(and, I believe you were also given this horse for free. Turning a profit should be secondary to ensuring this animal has a good home with proper care).

I truly believe you have gotten yourself in a situation where you are way in over your head. Your blog posts very clearly show that, while you may have been perfectly able to care for a 19 year old mare with a gentle personality, you are no where near at a skill level to handle a younger, more spirited animal. You contradict yourself from post to post. You very clearly are afraid of this gelding, which is exacerbating the problem. You appear to lack the basic knowledge in fundamental horse care. I would also venture to guess that the 'loping issue' you are having with him, if not based on a physical problem with the horse (i.e., lameness) is more likely due to your riding abilities.

Admitting some of these things to yourself takes a level of maturity that I hope you are able to reach. Because, at the end of the day, it's not about your ego. It's about the horse.
        Ulysses- the most perfect all-terrain vehicle ever. Hencho en Mexico

Mr. Walter Bumblepants - Foster Dog Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by UlysMom View Post
          I truly believe you have gotten yourself in a situation where you are way in over your head. Your blog posts very clearly show that, while you may have been perfectly able to care for a 19 year old mare with a gentle personality, you are no where near at a skill level to handle a younger, more spirited animal. You contradict yourself from post to post. You very clearly are afraid of this gelding, which is exacerbating the problem. You appear to lack the basic knowledge in fundamental horse care. I would also venture to guess that the 'loping issue' you are having with him, if not based on a physical problem with the horse (i.e., lameness) is more likely due to your riding abilities.
          Yes. Exactly. And this is not the fault of the horse. He doesn't look like a particularly difficult animal to me based on the videos, but I may be wrong. He also might be acting up because he is IN PAIN and is being poorly managed.

Additionally, the horse still looks foot sore in the recent videos I have seen, and that is probably part of the reason he is "hollow." A bilaterally footsore horse will not necessarily "limp," but that doesn't mean he isn't sore. And, heck, what horse would not be sore from standing on concrete constantly?

Comment

Ok, OP, I vote that you quit horses. In fact, I vote that you quit animals. It's not a matter of "holier than thou," as cothers help others, including by sending money as well as by giving advice. Cothers try to help out people. Until we find out that we've been lied to. Then we get mad. Because we don't want this horse to end up with permanent lameness. he's dead meat then.
            The issue is that it appears that you are not doing what is best for this horse. Sell him, give him away, quit horses. Cody deserves better. I hope he gets a new owner who will help him get, and stay, sound. Cody appears, from the videos, to have something wrong both in fore hooves and in his back or hip area.

Comment

Damn you people are intense. You really know how to kick people when they're down

Comment

I think if you read all the threads the OP opened, you will see that people are tired of her inconsistencies and not taking anyones advise including a vet and farrier. I think it is a sad situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Danger'sDelight13 View Post
                  Damn you people are intense. You really know how to kick people when they're down
                  Should we just tra la la, pretend that we agree that there is just *nothing* that can be done to help the situation and tell the OP how sorry we feel for her that she got herself, *yet again* into a mess that impacts the well being of a horse?

Comment

Oh like she's the first nutty horse person out there! She's clearly struggling emotionally. If everyone is so worried about the state of this horse then maybe someone should offer to take it off her hands.

It could ALWAYS be worse. The horse could be starving and malnourished while left to die a painful death in a field somewhere. While I don't doubt she's a little cra-cra all this "OMG you're so crazy" is just keeping threads like these alive.

Reminds me of the George Carlin skit.... "A crazy man has boarded himself into his home and nobody is paying ANY attention to him....."

Comment

You know, everyone has been quick to offer "help" with their advice, but is there anyone local who would be willing to help the OP out? I know several COTHers local to me that I have helped out, or vice versa. Surely there is someone nearby who could help the OP get some mats, or visit the horse in person and make sure he's doing ok, or recommend a farrier or shoer?

Heck, even someone NOT local who could offer up some actual ACTION instead of harsh words.

ETA: I know that sometimes people (myself included) get a little overwhelmed with a situation that gets out of control too fast. Maybe someone can offer a little hand holding rather than a back stabbing?

(Yes, I admit that I have been rolling my eyes at the OP - but I'm now worried that the situation spiraled out of control for her and she's not sure how to address it.)

(I am also giving the side-eye to someone selling a horse they were given for free, but whatevs.)

Comment

I actually looked at the OP's location to see where she is, because, yes, I agree that it would be great if someone local could just move the mats for her. It should not be difficult for the OP to handle on her own, but if she needs help, then it WOULD be nice if someone would offer it. I'm not in the same state as the OP and therefore can't do it myself, or I definitely would.

The problem with this particular OP is that, even if someone DOES take this horse off her hands, she is just going to go out and get ANOTHER one and find herself in either this same mess again or some new, equally disasterous mess.

It's very frustrating to watch. She seems to take no personal responsibility for anything, and makes snap decisions at the drop of a hat over and over again. That kind of crap is SO tough on horses.

Comment

Fine Already you're what's RIGHT with this board. Just so you know. You give me warm fuzzies that maybe there are nice people on here that want to help instead of just pass judgement.

Although one of my horse besties did come from COTH so......

Comment

Originally posted by HRF Second Chance View Post
                            Oh like she's the first nutty horse person out there! She's clearly struggling emotionally. If everyone is so worried about the state of this horse then maybe someone should offer to take it off her hands.
                            I'll take him! I think he's a cutie!
                            And the OP just sounds young and sad, not in a place to have a horse right now.
                            United States Cat Dressage Federation

Comment

OP, you've gotten some very kind and patient responses.

I think we've all felt frustrated with our horses at times, overwhelmed, drained, etc. I sympathize and so does everyone else.

However, in reading your blog (and I suggest everyone does who feels as though the OP is getting "judged"), it is obvious that you miss your mare (Skye), Cody was a free horse that you never wanted, you feel quite put upon by him, and you're not treating him with the care he deserves.

He's quite long backed, something you knew when you looked at him. He was skinny when you got him and now (according to some of your descriptions), he's "high", hot and not all together sound.

I read comments in your blog that, quite frankly, make my heart hurt for this paint gelding who never asked you to take him on. Your comments in your blog, such as "well, since it looks like he's not going anywhere anytime soon" and "I feel zero emotional attachment to him" and "I stare angrily at the gas gauge as it goes down as I make the drive to the barn", etc. make it evident that he is not a match for you and you should have never taken him on, free or not.

It's great to realize when you and your new horse are not a match. Move him on to someone who will love and want him for who he is. That is not what people are upset about. That's a mature decision to make and a good one!

Read the following exact quote from your blog. It does not reflect the occasional bad day with Cody, it is reflective of how you felt about him even before you got him (and you knew even before you took him that you didn't like him).
                              I feel trapped. Nobody is going to want a horse like him in his current state. I didn't really want him in the first place, and any time I have to deal with his BS it is a big slap in the face to remind me what a really good horse Skye was. At this point I really, really want out from under this whole mess.
                              You didn't want him in the first place??!! This poor horse. You bought tickets to Rolex and have a hotel booked (according to your blog). If you have the money to do that (and super! Rolex is an amazing experience!!), then surely you have the resources to treat your horse with all proper care and see him through to his next home.

Comment

Originally posted by Jo View Post
                                You know, everyone has been quick to offer "help" with their advice, but is there anyone local who would be willing to help the OP out? I know several COTHers local to me that I have helped out, or vice versa. Surely there is someone nearby who could help the OP get some mats, or visit the horse in person and make sure he's doing ok, or recommend a farrier or shoer?

Heck, even someone NOT local who could offer up some actual ACTION instead of harsh words.

ETA: I know that sometimes people (myself included) get a little overwhelmed with a situation that gets out of control too fast. Maybe someone can offer a little hand holding rather than a back stabbing?

(Yes, I admit that I have been rolling my eyes at the OP - but I'm now worried that the situation spiraled out of control for her and she's not sure how to address it.)

(I am also giving the side-eye to someone selling a horse they were given for free, but whatevs.)
                                I asked her several times what part of Michigan she lives in and she never replied. If she was fairly local to me I have a jeep Grand Cherokee that I am sure the mats would slide into.

Comment

Great post, Carolina.
                                  "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

AUGGGHHHHHHH! I just read the blog post from today.

I just...

WAY too much is being asked of this horse following a very recent (and probably unresolved) lameness, and it is plainly being asked by someone who doesn't have the necessary skill set to deal with him. Someone who can't feel what lead they are on should NOT be working on flying lead changes, amongst other things.

Additionally, I find this: "He was testing me pretty good towards the middle of our ride, when I would stop him he would start flying backwards" pretty upsetting. HE IS PROBABLY IN PAIN. That's not really a normal reaction from a horse.

Comment

In all seriousness, can someone upgrade this horse?

Comment

I grew up in MI. I'm currently asking my old horse friends there if they need a new horse. They'd buy him, of course.
                                        "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

• Wow. Just wow. Read the blog entry and it is evident to me this young lady needs some guidance, a solidly educated horse person to mentor her. Now, if it were me, I would be using my cash reserves to make sure my horse was sound and maybe pay a trainer to get him 'more sellable' (is that how she phrased it?), rather than planning a trip to Rolex. The best thing the OP can do for this guy is to get him into a different situation with a new owner. Maybe if she looked at the investment in the horse as a means to an end to the stress this is causing her, it might seem more feasible.

Now, if I had an extra $600-800/month and a husband who wouldn't divorce me if I took on a project pony, I'd take him, get him evaluated by both vet and trainers, figure out what his 'issues' truly are, then set about a plan to finding a new future for him with a owner more suited to his needs. Anyone near the OP able to step in and help her (and, more importantly..him) by mentoring, or have a spot in their barn he could vacation? :-)
                                          Ulysses- the most perfect all-terrain vehicle ever. Hencho en Mexico

Mr. Walter Bumblepants - Foster Dog Extraordinaire

Comment

Working...
                                          X