• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Thoroughbreds Going To Auction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temple only requires 95% of horses to be knocked insensible by the bolt or firearm. That means she is okay with 5 out of every 100 horses needing additional impacts or shots.
    The rara sisterhood likes to cite Grandin's work, but they have difficulty accepting her emotionless stats. Temple can't relate to the sisterhood's 'poor little pony' emotional rollercoaster.
    Grandin also has no problem processing wild mustangs, she just advises the processors to adjust a couple things due to their flight instinct.

Comment

Originally posted by War Admiral View Post
      Ye gods. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. If this is the kind of scumbags you pro-slaughter people want to jump into bed with, have at it, but leave the rest of us OUT of it please.
      I am sorry to inform you, but this is what happens when ill thought out regulations are put in place.

And no, it's not the pro slaughter who caused this. Not by a long shot.

Now, being dumped in an undignified way does not mean the horse was now by default tortured to death either...

But I have to agree, the scenario is rather grotesque and surreal.
      And no, I don't think anybody condones dumping anything in a manner that threatens the environment and the community in this fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by rustbreeches View Post
        I know of one track that had to relax it's policy on taking horses directly to slaughter because of all the dead horses in the river bottom with their upper lips cut off. It was creating a public health hazard. The policy is still there, but not enforced at all.
        This sounds like a track that should consider shutting down if it is so inundated with such unethical owners. If your only two options for what to do after your racehorses are no longer useful is slaughter or disposing in a river with its lip cut off, you need to reconsider your business plan. Or your business. Of course, I am reading "all the dead horses" as dozens upon dozens, not just one or two from one random jerk. Are there any news stories on this?

Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
        I am sorry to inform you, but this is what happens when ill thought out regulations are put in place.
        Actually - if it happened - its what happens when race horse owners are poor business planners, unethical, and don't give a crap about their community or the environment.

I'm not going to argue the ethics of slaughter vs. euthanasia and proper disposal here, but if slaughter is taken away by legislation, race horse owners should have a business plan to properly deal with their horses after their usefulness if over. If they are living so hand to mouth to not be able to afford proper disposal or breeding/buying a horse quality enough for a second career, perhaps they should rethink their career plan.

Comment

So many quotes from individuals who "disappear" when they are asked to provide dates of their last inspection tour of a slaughter plant.

Most of the posters have never been to Canada let alone a slaughter plant..

Therefore all that can be stated is the recycling of your old old old information.

I do not deny some plants were terrible, brutal and should have been shut down
          I do not deny that back alley abortions are terrible, brutal and should have been shut down.

We have evolved from the standard of the 1950-1970's when horses were for dog food and fox meat..

I heard the story about horses in rivers with lips cut off...Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, New York state etc and yet..never was EVIDENCE provided.

Dead bodies in consumable water would have caused a national scandal even decades ago...so..where is the story?
          The Elephant in the room

Comment

Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
            Dead bodies in consumable water would have caused a national scandal even decades ago...so..where is the story?
            I am not going to search for it, but quite a few pictures were provided showing a waterway a Canadian slaughter plant used to dump carcasses. The area was stained in red. IIRC, this was two years ago.
            \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Comment

That is of course one point to consider.
              1200 pounds rotting flesh in the water does usually cause concern...let alone several....

Comment

Originally posted by 7arabians View Post
                Skyking,

Auction=Slaughter because the rescue groups and hsus et al have worked very, very hard and craftily to make everyone believe that. This whole scam of going to the auction house and 'rescuing' a poor unfortunate horse from slaughter is the modus orperandi of most of the rescues. It is how they pay the mortgage on their farms, pay for the farrier, and even the diapers on their babies! It's how they invest in the 401-k retirement plans! The smalls have learned from the talls, as hsus and other nationals/internationals have grown outrageously wealthy by pleading for money to intercept a horse on the 'slaughter ride'.
                Your question proves that their deceptions have had an effect.
                7, I'm going to tell you the condensed version of the story of the horse I fed breakfast to this morning, who I rode yesterday for the first time.
                Back in February a good friend told me about a horse that she thought would be good for me. Four days before Christmas, I lost my oldest gelding, and OTTB who I'd had for 18 years.
                I didn't feel ready to look at another horse yet, so I passed.
                The horse got given to a "good" home.
                Sixteen days later, he was shipped to OLEX, which is a fairly large regional auction.
                He sold to slaughter.
                Through a ton of good fortune and hard work by a former owner, he was pulled from the feedlot. I offered him a home if they were able to pull him.
                I picked him up on the day that he was scheduled to be slaughtered - he was brought back to the same auction facility for convenience.
                While I was there, my friends who were trailering us stayed to watch for a while.
                Out of over thirty horses who went through the ring while we were there, THREE were not sold to the meatman. ( am not counting two minis)
                The rest, mostly healthy drafts, standardbreds and saddle horses were shipped.
                Is auction = slaughter? Perhaps not at all auctions, but if what I witnessed is any example, it sure can be.
                Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
                Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
                http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Comment

7arabians, I'll ask again. Do you have a financial interest in slaughter?

Comment

Found this gem while googling 'dead horse in water supply':

My questions is, why did the owner go take care of her elderly mother instead of the ailing horse? How is her mother more important than the horse?
                    Again, DO NOT own an animal if you aren't going to put it on the same level or above humans. I'd say above, since humans are the worst species on the planet.
                    I sure hope the person spoke with pure sarcasm....

http://www.havasunews.com/news/dead-...=image&photo=0

yes, we have entered a new level of weird!

Comment

Alagirl, you can see that on COTH. Go to Menagerie to the thread about the family who needs to rehome the cat because their child is having chemo. Same bizarre reaction from some COTH posters.

Comment

So many quotes from individuals who "disappear" when they are asked to provide dates of their last inspection tour of a slaughter plant.

Most of the posters have never been to Canada let alone a slaughter plant..
                        Are you jumping conclusions again?
                        I hope this time you're wearing your ASTM helmet at least.
                        Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

Originally posted by Angela Freda View Post
                          Are you jumping conclusions again?
                          I hope this time you're wearing your ASTM helmet at least.
                          Oh Hi Angela

You always answer a question with a question.

You did confirm you have not been involved with PETA however you have refused to directly state you have never been, are not active with nor have had a HSUS membership.

Most posters have never been to Canada.

I think you should study the travel habits of Americans. They are more apt to travel to Mexico and other "exotic" countries like Hawaii.

So..where did you go in Canada? When was your last trip?
                          Which slaughter plant did you inspect or even "drive by"

Dee..auction is NOT against the law. The Canadian Horse Defence are directly involved with HSUS and they are always in the face at that sale.

That is what an auction is about. You were able to purchase or acquire a horse. There is no demand, however, for them to give you special consideration and the fact they did is GREAT., That flies in the face of the posters who are claiming this never happens and only kill buyers are given consideration.

I hope your horse and a great and long life to share with you.
                          The Elephant in the room

Comment

Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                            Alagirl, you can see that on COTH. Go to Menagerie to the thread about the family who needs to rehome the cat because their child is having chemo. Same bizarre reaction from some COTH posters.
                            And this is in some way comforting?

On the other hand, I was just being reminded of the drive here on COTH to collect some money for real animal welfare, courtesy of the Horse and Donkey Trust for Gambia. The goal was low enough at 333 pounds. Yes, the goal was reached - barely.
                            I found it rather disappointing, considering the number of posters alone who claim to be all about animal welfare. But they had no consideration for the creatures with cut tongues and nutritional challenges. With just the ones running their mouths the loudes contributing a few bucks, the total should have surpassed the goal by far.

But I guess it is the actions that separate the spirits.

Comment

Ontario racehorses slaughtered for meat – vet says

Posted on November 1, 2012 by canadianhorsedefencecoalition

An equine veterinarian near Windsor, Ont., says thousands of horses have been slaughtered for meat in the wake of Ontario’s decision to end the Slots at Racetracks Program. Mark Biederman estimates 50 per cent of the province’s nearly 4,000 broodmares

Not only did Mark FORGET who this vet was...IT NEVER HAPPENED

Period

In fact..when the rumour circulated (it is true however about the governent cancelling) many major Kentucky farms tried to purchase mares at 100$ each..and were told..go away until you are talking $100,000.

Of course Mark left the story up without any corrections. That is what the defence group does.

They also had a member come on COTH and state she called Europe and spoke with a head of the EU who told her NO MORE SLAUGHTER..isn't that right False Impressions !!!!
                              The Elephant in the room

Comment

On the other hand, I was just being reminded of the drive here on COTH to collect some money for real animal welfare, courtesy of the Horse and Donkey Trust for Gambia. The goal was low enough at 333 pounds. Yes, the goal was reached - barely.
                                I found it rather disappointing, considering the number of posters alone who claim to be all about animal welfare. But they had no consideration for the creatures with cut tongues and nutritional challenges. With just the ones running their mouths the loudes contributing a few bucks, the total should have surpassed the goal by far.

So how much do you contribute to animal welfare since you don't have the expenses of owning any horses?

Comment

So..where did you go in Canada? When was your last trip?
                                  Which slaughter plant did you inspect or even "drive by".
                                  So Leo, when was the last time you followed a slaughter load in the U.S. without you alerting them to the fact first?

Next time you come to KY I will be happy to help you experience (close up and personal) the 'wonderful ways' our horses are treated in the slaughter pipeline.

Comment

No, it's not at all comforting...just pointing out it happens everywhere.

As far as Gambia, I keep my donations local for many reasons, mostly because I want to make sure my money is being used as promised. That's not to say the Gambia fund raiser is not on the up and up, just that it's not local.

Comment

Did any of the sisterhood realize that at the micro-levels that the rara's are testing for bute and other substances, even higher levels can be found in flesh of cadavers in the nyc morgue?
                                      And now I see they wish to return to the 'horrors of the trip' to the SH as a reason to end all slaughter. For goodness sake, 1/2 of the attendees at Scottsdale, Az, or Columbus, Oh, subject their horses to worse experiences than a quick trip over the border!

Comment

7arabians, do you have a financial interest in horse slaughter?

Comment

Wait, Is this the same thread? Nope, different title, same conversations.
                                          Oh God I need to get rid of my wifi .

Comment

Working...
                                          X