• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

No, You Cannot Ride My Pony

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lol, never actually had this problem with friends. My best friend would come along with me when we were hanging out and I needed to go blanket or something, she wasn't horsey but I'd give her a 5 lb bag of carrots and she could pretty well look after herself. All the horses were well mannered when they were in their stalls and you were outside with orange tasty things. (Funny how that works...)
    Family, however... well, my Mom was definitely a problem for a while. She always wanted to ride my mare. She rode western as a kid and thought it was like riding a bike, but I ride English and my (off the track) mare (in training for jumpers) isn't really one to look after her rider. Finally my trainer told her that she was absolutely NOT to ride my horse and that ended it. When he says something, he expects you to listen and that can be verrryyyy handy.
    What's tricky is when I NEED my horse ridden and don't want to offend other people at my barn. I work for my trainer, so I hack a lot of horses. This makes it awkward when I need someone to ride my horse and I have to say, "While I'm gone, these people are NOT to ride my horse:" and list some of the people who own horses I hack. Why do I do this? Because when I did let one of these people ride my horse for a few days when she was on a REHAB stint, the woman (who, I might add, came with excellent references) decided to "teach my horse a lesson" and when I, flabbergasted, asked her why she decided to completely ignore my instructions, coolly replied that my horse is, "just a thoroughbred... besides, she's your first horse" and was surprised that I wasn't thankful for the "training" session. Yeah. You're never getting on my horse again.
    Haha, my trainer said that all my horse did was stand in the center of the arena and buck, though, so apparently this training session didn't get very far... but considering that she was supposed to be walking/trotting only at this point, it still made me pretty mad.

Comment

• I tell them that I am more then happy to give them a lesson and tell them my rates. I have had people get annoyed saying they just wanted to ride. I then offer to sell them a horse, but tell them that lessons are the best place to start lol

Comment

• Ugh. A couple weeks back, one of the minority (5%) partners in our racehorses arranged to come out and see our new colt for the first time. She showed up with a friend and five children, none of whom I knew were coming, and who had also brought helmets.

I explained that my own horse was not suitable to ride, as she's been out of work since last year. (I didn't mention that the last kid who got on her, she stomped accidentally ) One of the kids tried to feed a finger to one of the broodmares and Freaked. Out. OMG.

We do have a little pony on the farm and I pulled him out...he's almost a mini so if anything happens you don't have far to fall. He was a very good boy and gave three or four of the kids their first (leadline) ride.

But yeah. You don't just show up to do one thing and say "Oh, we're ready to ride, too!"
        It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Comment

• The time-honored answer to "Can I ride your horse?"
          is
          "Certainly, if you'll let me sleep with your wife/husband."

Comment

• I know it is frustrating when people ask you if they can ride your horse...I ride 30 hours a week for a job and people always ask to come ride at work with me You don't let me come mess around while you're at work?
            BUT. I was blessed with a sweet, kid safe mare and I love letting people ride her. I had no money for lessons when I was younger but some people took the time out of their day to let me ride and teach me and those are some of my best memories. I understand different reasons for people not letting others ride (insurance definitely being a legitimate one), but I feel so lucky to have my horse and if they get even a little bit of the joy I get when I ride her, it will be time well spent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slewdledo View Post
              Ugh. A couple weeks back, one of the minority (5%) partners in our racehorses arranged to come out and see our new colt for the first time. She showed up with a friend and five children, none of whom I knew were coming, and who had also brought helmets.

I explained that my own horse was not suitable to ride, as she's been out of work since last year. (I didn't mention that the last kid who got on her, she stomped accidentally ) One of the kids tried to feed a finger to one of the broodmares and Freaked. Out. OMG.

We do have a little pony on the farm and I pulled him out...he's almost a mini so if anything happens you don't have far to fall. He was a very good boy and gave three or four of the kids their first (leadline) ride.

But yeah. You don't just show up to do one thing and say "Oh, we're ready to ride, too!"
              Five children. You handled that with class.
              PA Hi-Ly Visible [PA Hi-Noon (by Magnum Psyche) x Takara Padrona (by *Padron)]

Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Comment

• For the coworker types, I usually refer them to a lesson stable and tell them my horse is not appropriate. For the family/friend requests, i will let them ride with a helmet to cool the horse down after he has worked if I think the horse will be ok. For other horse people who have established their commitment level through lessons, I will usually offer a ride on my guy if they have taken an interest in him. No one else gets to ride regularly, but I am generally generous in offering once in a while "treats" to those with less experience but demonstrated committment to the sport.

I have a knack for teaching lateral work to horses and knowing how helpful it was to me to be able to sit on a horse who truly moved off my seat, I want to help others experience that as well. The saying "you can't teach what you haven't ridden" is pretty true, so I help out when I can.

Comment

• A couple of summers ago I was doing some part time baby sitting for a lady at church, while the kids were out of school. We were going over the schedule, and she mentioned on X day of the week, they got out of camp at X o'clock, and then I could take them for their riding lesson afterwards. I said Oh, cool, they're riding now? (Had never heard horses mentioned before.) Mom looked at me funny. I said, again, Are they taking lessons somewhere? She said Oh, don't you have a horse still? I thought you had horses...

Seriously???

Comment

• Originally posted by Couture TB View Post
                    I tell them that I am more then happy to give them a lesson and tell them my rates. I have had people get annoyed saying they just wanted to ride. I then offer to sell them a horse, but tell them that lessons are the best place to start lol
                    ^This. However, there is an older woman in our community (70+) who used to ride (trails I guess) 40 years ago. She loves horses and just wants to come out and go on a short trail ride. Impossible to convince her that I really can't accommodate her. Her age and the thought of her even trying to get on the quietest thing I've got makes my teeth itch. I just keep telling her no...it never sinks in...but she won't be getting on anything at our farm.

Comment

• My current guy is over 16.2 & 1,356 lbs. I will allow almost any one up on him ... to be led by me, once around the yard for a "pony" ride.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by talkofthetown View Post
                        A couple of summers ago I was doing some part time baby sitting for a lady at church, while the kids were out of school. We were going over the schedule, and she mentioned on X day of the week, they got out of camp at X o'clock, and then I could take them for their riding lesson afterwards. I said Oh, cool, they're riding now? (Had never heard horses mentioned before.) Mom looked at me funny. I said, again, Are they taking lessons somewhere? She said Oh, don't you have a horse still? I thought you had horses...

Seriously???
                        That is horrifying.
                        Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Comment

• Nice to see so many others with the same issues! DH and I just got married, and my new MIL is so excited about me having a horse that aparently she went around to all of her friends at church and told them about my "pretty painted horse like the indians used to ride". Now whenever I see these ladies they are always like "oh my granddaughter loves horses" or "oh where do you keep your horse we should come and ride". I always say that my horse isn't beginner safe and then throw in the liability line, which works for most of them. Now I'm just dealing with my FIL who is all things an expert on, including now horse breeds like Appaloose (said like it's spelled), race horses (I'm assuming TB's), draft horses, and I guess at the show yesterday he was proud of himself for pointing out a Tennessee Walker (actually just an excited jigging horse) to the judge! I was mortified, have to figure out how to tell DH nicely that FIL should not be talking to the judge at a show while I am competing! Gotta love non horse people, especially when they are your inlaws....

Comment

• I have never been one to let people ride my personal horses. My kid's horse is another matter, but only a pony ride with me leading. That gets old pretty fast especially if you are an adult. I just say " I never let anyone ride my horse. ever". That pretty well gets the message across. If they want to ride they can pay for a lesson.

Comment

• I don't mind answering: "Great! which one do you want to ride? The one who bucks, the one who bites, or the one who rears?"

Comment

• Originally posted by blackstallion2 View Post
                                I don't mind answering: "Great! which one do you want to ride? The one who bucks, the one who bites, or the one who rears?"
                                This is a great response! Do you mind if I "steal" a version of this?
                                "Do you want to ride the one that kicked me in the boob, or the one that did his level best to run me over?"
                                PA Hi-Ly Visible [PA Hi-Noon (by Magnum Psyche) x Takara Padrona (by *Padron)]

Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Comment

• LOL because the arab I give lessons on is a lease and my boyfriend forgets about her when people ask to ride before I can even say yes or no (usually yes) he will come flying in from somewhere and start telling them about my wild crazy man eating TWH.... *sigh* it's mostly true and I'd never let someone "ride" her but they could give her treats and she good with pony rides, however by the time he's done rattling on about how she tried to "kill him" this one time they're looking at me like i'm nuts and all I can do is smile and shrug needless to say even with an invite to just feed or get a pony ride on arab mare most people are like "we're ok thanks!" "maybe ummmm later..."
                                  Saddle Tree Acres

Comment

• Caradino, If you need to borrow my bf to scare this guy off I promise he'll do a good job!! He'll mention how you know literally like EVERYTHING about horses and are basically an expert but that sometimes your pony will even try to kill you! It can be embarrassing but after talking to him no one ever wants to ride that's for sure! :P
                                    Last edited by Stushica; Apr. 8, 2013, 11:21 PM. Reason: I can't speeel
                                    Saddle Tree Acres

Comment

• Originally posted by blackstallion2 View Post
                                      I don't mind answering: "Great! which one do you want to ride? The one who bucks, the one who bites, or the one who rears?"
                                      This is pretty much what I say as well: "Take your pick: the one that bucks and bolts, or the one who rears". I say it with humor, but back it by saying that, if they want to purchase an approved riding helmet and sign a liability waiver, I'll be happy to put them on a horse, but that the two I have that are rideable (nobody rides 24 yo retiree, not even me) were purchased for me as competition mounts. I'm willing to overlook the, erm, "quirks" in favor of the talent because I can ride it, but I make no bones about the fact that neither is a suitable beginner's horse. No one has pushed it after that. Also, requiring the purchase of an approved, riding (not bike) helmet generally discourages the ones that are only looking to you for a freebie. Helmets are the most important piece of equipment for a newbie and should fit the rider well. I only have mine, and they can purchase the schooling/trail riding-style ones for around $50.00. If I want to learn golf, even if a friend loans me a set of clubs, I still have to pay the greens fee...

Comment

• I just glare at them and I ask

You can ride? Or you've just ridden?
                                        Don't let anyone tell you that your ideas or dreams are foolish. There is a millionaire walking around who invented the pool noodle.

Comment

• I was blessed with a saint of an older TWH. He had little to no spook, his default mode was "stop", and he tolerated all sorts of nonsense. Naturally his fate in life was to pack around all the kids/clueless adults.

I don't think he'd ever been more than a trail horse all his life, so as a bonus he had no real training to ruin whatsoever. I also ended up riding him in a bitless bridle, so no one was hurting his mouth, either.

One time a lady dismounted and left her foot in the stirrup. Naturally her boot got stuck in the stirrup, so she was hopping up and down next to him while he stood there looking at her like she was a loon. There really wasn't anybody better to put noobs up on, and he LOVED trail riding.

He was the best horse an idiot 19 year old girl could have, and I miss him still. If you have the right sort of horse, it can be a real pleasure to share! I totally understand where everyone else is coming from in the 'no, MINE' category too, though. Not everyone can own awesome Walkers.

Comment

Working...
                                          X