• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Oh, my poor boy. Sorry, long. UPDATE last post

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Vet was out yesterday. Nothing wrong with his vision. Doesn't think he has ulcers based on my description of his behavior. Vet suggested I try a month of Smart Gut to see what happens, but ultimately thinks it is just his personality. Well, I can handle that. Interestingly, vet said that the reason he doesn't think it is ulcers is because (among other things) horse was an absolute solid rock star at the show I took him to last summer. Vet said Mondy would have wigged out under all that pressure if it was ulcers.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

Because he presumably didn't have ulcers a year ago he doesn't have them now? Both are a giant leap in my opinion. Why would you use a supplement that doesn't even claim to heal ulcers as a "just in case" when you can do a trial of something that could heal them? If the supplement doesn't change anything, that tells you nothing. If you do a week of ulcergard at the full tube dose and it does nothing that does likely tell you something. By the way, when someone responds to your update, the update is no longer the last post. Better to give the post number or the page.
      McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense. It's been almost a year from that show. Things can change very quickly with ulcers. And agree the smart gut will tell you nothing truthfully. What did he do to check his vision if you don't mind? Did he test his hearing?
        Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

Just to add it maybe good to test his b levels and mag levels. If these are off they can make a horse very jumpy and spooky. My guy had low b levels and he was a chicken of all chickens. Scared of everything. Showed him and he'd have his good and bad days. Started to supplement the b1 vitamin and it made a huge difference in his demeanor.

Comment

• Original Poster

You know, Rabicon, I did ask the vet about this and he just poh-poohed it. This is why I am posting update here - maybe I need a second opinion from another vet? This guy is totally in love with himself and the sound of his own voice. Don't you DARE interrupt him or try to get a word in edgewise - he pronounces. Althoug to be fair he did elicit an extensive history from me before he started to pronounce.

Comment

• Original Poster

He shone a light in Mondy's eyes with some sort of magnifying instrument to check his vision. He let me look through the instrument.

Comment

Originally posted by rabicon View Post
                Just to add it maybe good to test his b levels and mag levels. If these are off they can make a horse very jumpy and spooky. My guy had low b levels and he was a chicken of all chickens. Scared of everything. Showed him and he'd have his good and bad days. Started to supplement the b1 vitamin and it made a huge difference in his demeanor.
                What did you use for the supplement? Interested in this for my spookish gelding. Thanks!
                Alis volat propriis.

Comment

Our pony is a nervous nelly. She trembled like a leaf when the vet came, she jumps every time the clippers get turned on, she shakes when I do water. I'm her only handler (besides my 5 year old daughter) so I am there for every interaction. We talk to her, soothe her, etc. she is just that way.

Comment

It's best to have the levels checked first before just supplementing. But to be honest I can't remember. It was a good 7 years ago probably when I had to give it to him. His levels have been goos awhile now so he hasn't needed it and he is the same way now that he was on the supplements because everything is normal so he is pretty normal. He will always be a little spooky because that's his nature but it isn't constant looking for the boogie man and jumping sideways and scared of the butterfly in the show ring lol like he use to be. Very calm and not anxious like he was before. I'll try to remember what it was and let you know. Let me think on it a bit and see if i can remember.

Eta. You could put him on a multivitamin supplement that has b1 in it and see if that seems to help. If it does in the least bit go further with testing to narrow it down.

Comment

Oliver I'd just talk to my vet if you want to go further and tell him you'd like those levels checked. My vet had no problem with it. Some horses are just that way but sometimes there is a problem and I'm one that wants to make sure that there is no problem so I research and ask a lot of questions and read a lot so I know what possibilities I'm looking at. Did he do any hand movement test at his eyes? It just depends on really what you want to investigate further and if you have the resources to also. You could investigate and spend the money and it may just be how he is but you just never know. Epm can also make them more jumpy as a symptom just to throw that out there.

Comment

Could it be too much protein in his diet? I know it's kind of a simple solution, but when my OTTB gets 'bingy' (spooking at stupid stuff I know he's normally okay with) that's the first thing I check (provided he's not exhibiting something pain related). I find the too much protein is like a sine wave with his demeanor, he's rock steady with startling stuff (BO unaware we're in the stall starts the leaf blower right outside his door to blow down the aisle) and a few hours later he's ready to climb out of his skin because a chainsaw is going in the far TO. He's heard chainsaws frequently with all the storm damage we've had last fall and this winter, so this is not a new noise, but it wasn't warm then like it is now. Spring is always such a fun time, with temps in the 40's/30's then the 70's/60's then 50's/40's. I reduce the amount of protein he's been supplemented with though winter (alfalfa) and about a week later his binginess levels out. I have him on a 10% protein grain so I know the alfalfa is the only increase of protein in his diet.

One spring he was out of his head at my former barn and started weaving at his stall door. Couldn't concentrate. He'd listen to direction, comply willingly, then get distracted within two steps. Had the attention span of a gnat. This was a gradual thing, building, until he exhibited this weaving behavior. Firm or strong correction just made things worse. Had to be soothed. He doesn't weave normally, so I was confident it wasn't a psychological issue. Checked to make sure nothing unusual/traumatic had happened at the barn, BO said nothing had changed, so I started checking the hay bales to see if there was a richer alfalfa mix to them. BO's wife comes out to feed, asks why I'm checking hay, then tells me she switched him over at the beginning of the month (two weeks ago) to the grain her horses were on. Easier than having a separate bin. And it's cheaper. And it's 14% protein.

Took a couple of weeks, swapping him back over to the 10% protein grain before his demeanor started settling down. It didn't help that the weather turned hot too. But the weaving/binginess/spooking at everything diminished in that order till he was back to his 'normal' OTTB sensitivity.
                        Last edited by OnThinIce; Apr. 11, 2013, 01:31 PM.
                        This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

Comment

The too much protein thing is an old wives tale. Too much sugar on the other hand is absolutely proven. Never seen a kid hopped up on hamburgers but give a kid some cotton candy and it's a different story.
                          McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

OP should absolutely check out her horse's carb/sugar intake. But with my horse, there was no difference in the carb/sugar ratios between the 14% and 10% grain, just the protein content. With protein it really has to do with how a horse processes it and assimilates it into their system. If the amino acids generated effects metabolism you're going to see changes in demeanor. My horse gets spooky, edgy, flighty when the weather warms up. I back down his alfalfa intake and that behavior goes away. Since alfalfa is low in sugar and high in protein, I attribute my horse's edginess to too much protein in his diet, which is now effecting his metabolism, instead of just helping him rebuild/recover/keep weight on through the winter. If my horse was in steady work, instead of blobbing around in a pasture, he could probably keep eating that much alfalfa without any problems, but he's not, so I have to make changes to keep myself, my BO and bingy-boy sane and happy. I suggested maybe the OP should check protein out as a possible cause why her horse startles easily. Best thing would be to have a blood test done to see where the horse's levels are at. If nothing else, you can eliminate that as a possible cause.
                            This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

Comment

Working...
                            X