• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

And another one falls through the cracks! :(

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, Alagirl, I have no clue what you are talking about.

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
    If you are so well educated, you ought to know enough law to understand that what we are for or against is not really what should determine how all others may be required then to live by.
    I'm not sure what you mean, but government regulates MANY things. We need a license to drive, fly an airplane, own a gun, sell liquor, practice medicine, operate a daycare, etc. And that doesn't even include things that are illegal. I may believe that prostitution is fine between consenting adults, but that doesn't mean I can open up a brothel. And, if I sell heroin on a street corner, I can be arrested. To bring it closer to horses, dog fighting is illegal, even if that dog is someone else's property.

Your example of the Catholic Church is especially odd because religion is protected by the constitution. There is no constitutional right to sell horses for slaughter. On the contrary, the BAN on horse slaughter has been found to be constitutional by the highest courts that have ruled on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Discobold View Post
      Sorry, Alagirl, I have no clue what you are talking about.

I'm not sure what you mean, but government regulates MANY things. We need a license to drive, fly an airplane, own a gun, sell liquor, practice medicine, operate a daycare, etc. And that doesn't even include things that are illegal. I may believe that prostitution is fine between consenting adults, but that doesn't mean I can open up a brothel. And, if I sell heroin on a street corner, I can be arrested. To bring it closer to horses, dog fighting is illegal, even if that dog is someone else's property.

Your example of the Catholic Church is especially odd because religion is protected by the constitution. There is no constitutional right to sell horses for slaughter. On the contrary, the BAN on horse slaughter has been found to be constitutional by the highest courts that have ruled on it.
      I did tell you to pick your example, knew you probably would not get mine.

Yes, the government regulates most we do and horse slaughter, according to many, including inspectors of slaughter plants, was one of the most regulated of all.
      Don't believe it?
      Proof is all the many pages of inspection reports, that animal rights extremists love to handpick thru for their propaganda.
      The system at work, that certain groups used for their own agenda.

Would happen with any industry or plant or grocery store or hospital or any one place one of the richest non-profits will decide to make it's living off hounding.
      There, horse slaughter, next, well, follow the news and you will see the pattern, that has been going on for decades now.

There are many layers in these onions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Karosel View Post
        She did go to the police. The police were involved, but I don't know the outcome. If I'm remembering correctly the dealer was banned from taking horses to that particular auction for a period of time.

Yeah, there likely is more to the story (there always is!). I wasn't surprised when I read the article and saw that Glen Priest had lied about owning the horse for 6 months previous. And while I wasn't surprised about Mr. Priests and the vets involvement in the horse repo and sending to slaughter for vet bills it did make me raise my eyebrows and think to myself really Dr. XXX you couldn't use another route to get your money back or perhaps let it slide and write it off on your taxes? <shrug>
        Thank you for filling the story out, now it makes more sense.

Don't know how things are in Canada, but here, when we saw at a sale the horse shoer that took local horses to the plant for people, one load at the time, that was six, in the same trailer his personal horses went to competitions, told us about some trader that pulled something and was banned from bringing any more.

Maybe after this time they will ban that trader there?
        There are crooks every place, that doesn't make the place necessarily evil, really.

Comment

• The "doesn't make the place necessarily evil" not only applies to slaughter houses, t it also applies HSUS and their effort to educate, expose and improve. And it applies to all who want to read and consider viewpoints on this topic.
          from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Comment

• You conveniently forget about the what was it?? Oh yea the USDA report that stated there were too many misses. Is that not a governmental agency???

I did tell you to pick your example, knew you probably would not get mine.

Yes, the government regulates most we do and horse slaughter, according to many, including inspectors of slaughter plants, was one of the most regulated of all.
            Don't believe it?
            Proof is all the many pages of inspection reports, that animal rights extremists love to handpick thru for their propaganda.
            The system at work, that certain groups used for their own agenda.

Would happen with any industry or plant or grocery store or hospital or any one place one of the richest non-profits will decide to make it's living off hounding.
            There, horse slaughter, next, well, follow the news and you will see the pattern, that has been going on for decades now.

There are many layers in these onions.
            The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
            H. Cate

Comment

• Originally posted by hurleycane View Post
              The "doesn't make the place necessarily evil" not only applies to slaughter houses, t it also applies HSUS and their effort to educate, expose and improve. And it applies to all who want to read and consider viewpoints on this topic.
              Yes, I am aware of the HSUS latest effort at better PR, but I really don't think that a dye job is going to cover the stripes on the tiger too well, when it still is a tiger and acts like one.
              Pure window dressing, trumped by their actions when they lobby and push for annoyance lawsuits as they keep doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
                You conveniently forget about the what was it?? Oh yea the USDA report that stated there were too many misses. Is that not a governmental agency???
                Since you bring the same over and over again, I will respond to that one more time.
                Those that object to my answering, remember, I didn't bring that up and have a right to answer when a response is clear.

Here it is, again:
                Those are all management and regulation questions, that ANY business has to deal with.
                Do you ever read inspectors reports from your local restaurant or hospital?
                Really terrible all they find lacking, but those business don't have some of the largest non-profit organizations living off looking thru those reports with hordes of attorneys for all and any they can hand pick to use in their propaganda, where you got that.

What "those we may not mention without offending some" and their followers keep bringing up is taken out of context, obvious to anyone not one of them, when it comes to wanting to brand slaughter as evil and call for a ban.
                Makes as much sense as handpicking inspection reports from restaurants or hospitals and pushing a drive to call all restaurants and hospital evil places, ban restaurants and hospitals, because see how badly they operate, the inspectors said so.

When you think about that, you can see that maybe some are barking up the wrong tree there?

Edited to keep certain posters happy.
                Last edited by Bluey; Apr. 4, 2013, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• A possible explaination:

There are two types of imports:

1. Horse that has an individual health certificate provided by the seller (would also include passport information) Many sellers include this information even including papers hoping the buyer will be a private owner rather than a KB

2. Horse that is consigned as a lot to be included with a truck health certificate. This is one certificate for the whole trailer. It is usually comprised of horses known to have high drug contents in their system so they are imported for specific uses other than human consumption (generally and it would only be for a market that does no ban drugs in their meat) And the horses CAN NOT be resold. It must be slaughtered within 96 hours of its arrival to the plant.

The individual health covered hroses MAY be resold however generally never to general public due to problems in the past.

Example. Plant sold a horse that injured the "new" owner. They sued the plant for selling them a horse that was obviously sold to slaugthter because it was dangeous.

The SP does not want individuals wandering around in fields. They do have specific showings to horse brokers, especially regarding the foals when they are weaned. They only want to do business with those they have a history with.

The Stronach horse is still missing many facts and as I mentioned before, Stronach is in the process of founding a political party in Austria and he does not want ANY scandal attached to his name that could cause a problem with his seizing the role of Prime Minister.

I have been told many of their horses have gone to kill buyers in the past. Some tracks have bans on any trainers selling to Kill auctions but definitely not all tracks. I do not know any of the alleged players named

slaughter was never banned in the U.S.A. They just cut all the funding for the human food inspection.

If they are going to apply numerous rules and regulations to endsure equine meat safety, that is a good thing. They also need to apply the same standards to all vegetables and truits that consistently have outbreaks of e-coli and salmonella especially alfalfa sprouts and all vegetables grown in the ground.

The Huffington Post always talks about factory farms (they are proud THEY coined the phrase) and they blame all e-coli on contaminated meat therefore meat should be "removed".

All of this comes down to zealots sucking people into the vegan family (or at least trying)
                  The Elephant in the room

Comment

• Originally posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
                    You conveniently forget about the what was it?? Oh yea the USDA report that stated there were too many misses. Is that not a governmental agency???
                    What animal rights extremists and their followers keep bringing up is taken out of context
                    Please explain how information on kill misses in an agency report can be taken out of context.
                    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
                    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
                    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                      Since you bring the same over and over again, I will respond to that one more time.
                      Those that object to my answering, remember, I didn't bring that up and have a right to answer when a response is clear.

Here it is, again:
                      Those are all management and regulation questions, that ANY business has to deal with.
                      Really terrible all they find lacking, but those business don't have some of the largest non-profit organizations living off looking thru those reports with hordes of attorneys for all and any they can hand pick to use in their propaganda, where you got that.

What animal rights extremists and their followers keep bringing up is taken out of context, obvious to anyone not one of them, when it comes to wanting to brand slaughter as evil and call for a ban.
                      Makes as much sense as handpicking inspection reports from restaurants or hospitals and pushing a drive to call all restaurants and hospital evil places, ban restaurants and hospitals, because see how badly they operate, the inspectors said so.

When you think about that, you can see that maybe some are barking up the wrong tree there?
                      Well, some are certainly closed or banned due to poor operating procedures.

Makes perfect sense to me. If a place of business has that many violations, then they need to suffer the consequences.

Comment

Here it is, again:

What animal rights extremists and their followers keep bringing up is taken out of context, obvious to anyone not one of them, when it comes to wanting to brand slaughter as evil and call for a ban.

Animal Rights Extremists?
                        Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

• I believe and would hope that all violations found by inspectors of restaurants and hospitals have to be remedied ASAP or huge fines and/or closure may follow.

Haven't heard of that happening at the horse SH.

Comment

. There is no constitutional right to sell horses for slaughter. On the contrary, the BAN on horse slaughter has been found to be constitutional by the highest courts that have ruled on it.

The ban on horse slaughter...? Please direct me to Federal law Banning Slaughter of Equines.

As I understand it Constitutional rights do not mention horses per se, but they are grouped under property rights.

Where is the Constitutional mention of exclusion of any right to legally sell a horse, including for slaughter?

Thank you.

Comment

• I've worked in restaurants AND hospitals and if a restaurant is inpsected and gets a score below a certain level (and they are strict) -- they have a certain amount of time to correct it or shut down. It is also many times reported on the news in many cities as are their health ratings. It is public information. Hospitals are pretty much the same. It's public information and they have to toe the line or fix it quickly. I don't see the comparison at all.

As far as all of us against killing horses in a slaughter house -- we are NOT necessarily "extremists" as those who are all for it constantly want to call us. It's not extreme to be against something like killing a horse for meat or helping any other animal through any means available. I think those for killing are apathetic and lazy and possibly unfeeling or lack compassion. Big surprise? Most of us don't support HSUS or PETA and quite aware of their failings -- we are pretty savvy about the rescues and the ones to which you constantly refer.

PennyG

Comment

• Originally posted by Dispatcher View Post
                                Well, some are certainly closed or banned due to poor operating procedures.

Makes perfect sense to me. If a place of business has that many violations, then they need to suffer the consequences.
                                I seem to see a pattern here, where you don't get what I am saying.
                                Maybe I am not clear, maybe you are on purpose misunderstanding?

I said those non-profit groups are using this or that time someone didn't do their job right and it is noted in some inspector reports to brand the WHOLE industry as evil, as banning ALL restaurants and hospitals, not just those that don't follow procedures and keep doing so, which is NORMAL procedures for any industry.

Hope that is a bit more clear.

Comment

• Originally posted by TKR View Post
                                  I've worked in restaurants AND hospitals and if a restaurant is inpsected and gets a score below a certain level (and they are strict) -- they have a certain amount of time to correct it or shut down. It is also many times reported on the news in many cities as are their health ratings. It is public information. Hospitals are pretty much the same. It's public information and they have to toe the line or fix it quickly. I don't see the comparison at all.

As far as all of us against killing horses in a slaughter house -- we are NOT necessarily "extremists" as those who are all for it constantly want to call us. It's not extreme to be against something like killing a horse for meat or helping any other animal through any means available. I think those for killing are apathetic and lazy and possibly unfeeling or lack compassion. Big surprise? Most of us don't support HSUS or PETA and quite aware of their failings -- we are pretty savvy about the rescues and the ones to which you constantly refer.

PennyG
                                  See post above for an explanation.
                                  Think a bit more on what I said and you will see why your example is not what I was talking about.

You think those that don't want a ban on horse slaughter are "I think those for killing are apathetic and lazy and possibly unfeeling or lack compassion."

Right, starting again with the name calling.
                                  Well, I won't tell you what I think of those that are following certain groups agendas, if they realize it or not, by wanting to ban horse slaughter.

Comment

• Originally posted by D_BaldStockings View Post
                                    The ban on horse slaughter...? Please direct me to Federal law Banning Slaughter of Equines.
                                    I didn't say there was a federal ban on horse slaughter. The highest courts that have ruled on the constitutionality of ANY BAN on horse slaughter are the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (which found Illinois' 2007 ban on horse slaughter to be constitutional) and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (which upheld an old Texas law banning horse slaughter). So that's what I meant when I wrote that "the BAN on horse slaughter has been found to be constitutional by the highest courts that have ruled on it." Do you understand how the court system works?

Comment

I didn't say there was a federal ban on horse slaughter. The highest courts that have ruled on the constitutionality of ANY BAN on horse slaughter are the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (which found Illinois' 2007 ban on horse slaughter to be constitutional) and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (which upheld an old Texas law banning horse slaughter). So that's what I meant when I wrote that "the BAN on horse slaughter has been found to be constitutional by the highest courts that have ruled on it." Do you understand how the court system works?
                                      I don't know about the Illinois case, but the one in TX was a railroading of an old law the HSUS president bragged "his ten lawyers found in the books, after weeks of looking for something".
                                      Then found a sympathetic judge, that ruled that one law, intended to keep unscrupulous butchers from selling horse meat as beef, not to ban all sales of horse meat, could be interpreted as meaning a wholesale ban on horse meat in the state.

No one has yet found reason to contest that ruling, as the ones that made it counted on, because, well, no one has needed to do so, but it is a tenuous interpretation.

Comment

I don't know about the Illinois case, but the one in TX was a railroading of an old law the HSUS president bragged "his ten lawyers found in the books, after weeks of looking for something".
                                        Then found a sympathetic judge, that ruled that one law, intended to keep unscrupulous butchers from selling horse meat as beef, not to ban all sales of horse meat, could be interpreted as meaning a wholesale ban on horse meat in the state.

No one has yet found reason to contest that ruling, as the ones that made it counted on, because, well, no one has needed to do so, but it is a tenuous interpretation.
                                        Railroading? Is that anything like the myriad of violations and back fines they owed, the lack of taxes they paid and the general misery they caused their neighbors and that community as a whole? You mean that kind of 'railroading'?

Thing is if you want people to want a Slaughter plant in their neighborhood, you should perhaps do a better job of being a good neighbor.

Pretending there weren't problems and legitimate reasons to close the plants that were closed adds to the long list those of us carry of why we don't believe the pro-slaughter faction when they insist 'we'll do better this time, we promise! Just let us open a plant.'

If there was nothing done wrong, why keep insisting it will be done better?
                                        And if it can be done better, why deny there were serious problems?
                                        Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

• Originally posted by Angela Freda View Post
                                          Railroading? Is that anything like the myriad of violations and back fines they owed, the lack of taxes they paid and the general misery they caused their neighbors and that community as a whole? You mean that kind of 'railroading'?

Thing is if you want people to want a Slaughter plant in their neighborhood, you should perhaps do a better job of being a good neighbor.

Pretending there weren't problems and legitimate reasons to close the plants that were closed adds to the long list those of us carry of why we don't believe the pro-slaughter faction when they insist 'we'll do better this time, we promise! Just let us open a plant.'

If there was nothing done wrong, why keep insisting it will be done better?
                                          And if it can be done better, why deny there were serious problems?
                                          Why do you keep bringing the same story again, that has been discussed a million times?
                                          Yes, we know the plant had an old water treatment system, that had failed and been repaired many times.
                                          We know the plant was being run off the place and were not modernizing or doing more than maintenance and so it was having problems and fixing them and more problems.

There are many plants of all kinds in the USA in the same situation and eventually will be closed.
                                          That is what happens with plants like that, be it slaughter or textile or manufacturing or whatever they are.
                                          BUT, those other plants don't have after them one of the richest non-profit group in the USA, with nothing else to do but hound all we do with our animals, as that plant had.
                                          THAT is the difference.

They closed in 2007, what else do you want?

Comment

Working...
                                          X