• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Did a horse die at Clinton Anderson's ranch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CFFarm View Post
    Forgive me if this question has been answered (I didn't read further than the first page) and I mean no disrespect for the lady's loss but what is a Fairy Knob?
    I'm not sure I want to know.
    blogging at HN: http://www.horsenation.com/
    check out my writing: http://jeseymour.com
    Just out: http://www.barkingrainpress.org/dd-p...ead-poisoning/

Comment

• *Ahem* here in KY we have many many 17th and 18th century place names using knob. For an example my MIL used to live off of Bald Knob road. It refers to a promontory, a slightly higher hill, and most hills around here are worn down and rounded, so, Knob.

One can also find lick as a place name, usually refers to a creek and probably came from creeks that tendd to have salt deposits so there is Salt Lick, Paint Lick, and three guesses for the last one.

Sorta bad when there's sniggering and giggling during a geography lesson.
      Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
      Incredible Invisible

Comment

• Originally posted by ReSomething View Post
        *Ahem* here in KY we have many many 17th and 18th century place names using knob. For an example my MIL used to live off of Bald Knob road. It refers to a promontory, a slightly higher hill, and most hills around here are worn down and rounded, so, Knob.

One can also find lick as a place name, usually refers to a creek and probably came from creeks that tendd to have salt deposits so there is Salt Lick, Paint Lick, and three guesses for the last one.

Big Bone Lick?

yes, these days my mind is firmly planted in the gutter....

Comment

• Originally posted by Caol Ila View Post
          Have read through this thread with some amusement. My main question is, what on earth is a "signature horse" and why is it worth $25,000? Has Clinton trained it to make the coffee? Do laundry? Clean the dishes? I could buy an FEI prospect for that money.
          From my understanding these horses should be able to go in the reining ring now. Which isn't a cheap horse in itself. They are suppose to be well broke, sensitive to aids, have that western headset thing, and should be able to run a reining pattern, head down the trail and cross or go through anything and can jump. Idk but that's what they are suppose to be like. Yes you can buy an FEI prospect for that but these are very well breed qhs with reining and cow lines usually. Not just a mutt qh. He uses nice studs from the Reno ing and cow world and some cost thousands to breed to themselves. So I could see the price being up there. A good reining horse is not cheap by no means.
          Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

*Ahem* here in KY we have many many 17th and 18th century place names using knob. For an example my MIL used to live off of Bald Knob road. It refers to a promontory, a slightly higher hill, and most hills around here are worn down and rounded, so, Knob.

We have a Bald Knob Rd here too. I always giggle a little bit when we drive past it. I swear I'm an adult....really.

Did anybody else scroll down to the story in which Fairy Knob gives the Doc at Texas A&M a hard time because her mare was too skinny after giving birth? She accused them of not feeding her. From what I know, Texas A&M is a fairly well regarded school... and lactating mares DO sometimes drop significant amounts of weight. I wish that it worked the same way with humans (specifically... me).

Comment

• Originally posted by Superminion View Post
              We have a Bald Knob Rd here too. I always giggle a little bit when we drive past it. I swear I'm an adult....really.
              Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't knob mean penis, ether in the UK or AU? I remember reading an article on words you should not use while abroad, knob and fanny are the 2 that I remember.

Comment

Beaverlick!

I used to work for the Post Office, and none of use could stop laughing when we saw that city name
                Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Comment

• Yeah well MissMyst- you would really love it up here. Beaver Lick is right down the road from Big Bone Lick. It's the Beaver Lick Baptist Church that always makes me shake my head... I mean- you don't HAVE to name your church after the town it's in.

I have had fleece processed by a very well regarded small custom mill named "Wooly Knob" and the cute logo of the sheep on the hilltop does little to get the other image out of my mind.

As for the story of poor Pharoh, I am feeling sadder and sadder for the lady who lost her horse, and I wish that someone had the sense to get the necropsy both for the benefit of the Fresian breeders and so that the tragedy would have more closure.

One person we haven't mentioned at all who I am also really feeling for- is the student in training at the CA school who was given some strange horse/horses to train- and they (from what I imagine this was no fault of theirs) just drew the short straw and had the misfortune of having this happen on their watch. Can you imagine if you had dreamed and saved to do this big thing in your life and then to have it marred with such a tragedy?

Comment

• Originally posted by Superminion View Post
                    That's OK. There's a Deepwood Drive on the way to the barn and I get the giggles from that. I would certainly chuckle about Bald Knob and Beaver Lick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Plainandtall View Post
                      One person we haven't mentioned at all who I am also really feeling for- is the student in training at the CA school who was given some strange horse/horses to train- and they (from what I imagine this was no fault of theirs) just drew the short straw and had the misfortune of having this happen on their watch. Can you imagine if you had dreamed and saved to do this big thing in your life and then to have it marred with such a tragedy?
                      Depending on how it went down no I have 0 sympathy for them. Hobbling a horse that's never been hobbled before and then walking away is really really not okay. When you are a newbie trainer you shouldn't be turned loose to hurt horses. If I found out who that student was that left my horse hobbled for the first time unsupervised I would indeed have some really strong words for them. Now I know &^%& happens to the best of us under the best circumstances but ignorance or willful neglect is unforgivable.
                      If however you turn horse out to graze and come back a couple hours later to a dead horse of no apparent reason that would definitely deserve some sympathy.

Oh and just to set the record straight I would never have CA or any of the NH "professionals" anywhere near my horse much less pay to have them train it.
                      Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
                      Originally Posted by alicen:
                      What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Comment

• The horse had already been there for two weeks before he died- I really doubt that if hobbling was part of the curriculum, that they would wait two weeks to introduce it. I think "turned loose to hurt horses" is a pretty harsh distilling of what they were doing.

Imagine another training barn scenario... only this is a dressage facility and you have three horses to excercise- between working them you put them in their stall. After working the third horse you discover the first horse dead in its stall...

Comment

• Do we know it was the first time it was hobbled?
                          You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

• There's also Grandpa's Knob in VT. Just ewwwww.

Comment

• Anything with the word "squaw" in it. Locally, a road's name was changed to drop that word. It's now "Bliss Road".

From reading about the lady, I tend to think she's not matured very much, even if she's a granny. From the sounds of her posts, she's a bit in the clouds and her hubby and family let her stay there. Whatever floats your boat but, in my experience, when you turn these folks out into the general public, they expect the world to be fairy f*rts and gauzy butterflies. People who I wouldn't get on with, in other words.
                              GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

• Originally posted by 4cornersfarm View Post
                                The thing is, these kind of people will just eat this up. They like to be treated as inferior, they like their idols to be cranky. It just makes him all the more untouchable.
                                Good point. I'm cranky because I'm getting up in years and hurt everywhere, Advil is my friend. But I appreciate a frankness when I'm talking with others. Say what you mean and mean what you say has been done to death, but it's what I like in myself and others. Cut to the chase but don't have to be angry about it. Get to the point. This HO would drive me bats, even if it weren't horses we had in common. Still, you nailed the description.

Comment

• Originally posted by hundredacres View Post
                                  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't knob mean penis, ether in the UK or AU? I remember reading an article on words you should not use while abroad, knob and fanny are the 2 that I remember.
                                  It does indeed

Although my gelding is affectionately known as Knobber, term of endearment, honestly.
                                  I know that what you call fanny-packs is a source of amusement for a lot of us Brits, and I recently came across a line of (American?) bags called 'Slappa' which made me laugh as here a Slapper is a word for a girl with dubious morals

Got to say, I was surprised this story turned out to be true, I wouldn't have been at all surprised if it was a complete fantasy from start to finish. Also surprised (and a little disappointed) at the lack of entertaining house guests.

Comment

• My observation is that CA believes hard work does not hurt a horse.

A good horseman knows where conditioning work or training sessions should stop and allow the horse to recover.

A good horseman also knows when heat inversion or mental melt-down is imminent.

A good horseman also takes steps to mitigate those possible situations.
                                    Water, bathing, walking a horse until heart and temp return to normal are all part of good horsemanship trainng.

Do accidents happen and horses die even where intelligent care and proper conditioning is carried out? Sometimes.

Creating circumstances that predispose to 'accidents' is a whole different scenario: sort of like throwing novice drivers in a factory sportscar and telling them to take deadman's curve at 65 mph -because seasoned racing drivers in modified and tuned machines can do it at 90.

And I am saddened that the owner appeared to want the 'gumption' taken out of her horse by aggressive exhaustion means, she knows so little about training animals if she feels this is going to give her a tractable, willing horse SHE can handle. Fairyland, indeed.
                                    Where is the boot camp for owner/riders to get fit and learn to manage their horses?

Comment

• Did anyone see the horse article which said the horses in old time paintings were 'trolloping'?? HA!! People were responding like, yeah, trolloping it is!! So, me being me, posted at least one link, might have been two, about what a trollop is. So, by trolloping, isn't that the verb? Implying, erm, 'action'?

Comment

• Originally posted by Midge View Post
                                        Do we know it was the first time it was hobbled?
                                        If so, I don't know how the COTHer got to this conclusion.
                                        The armchair saddler
                                        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Originally posted by D_BaldStockings View Post
                                          Where is the boot camp for owner/riders to get fit and learn to manage their horses?
                                          Excellent point. A large majority of the time, it’s the owner that needs the boot camp, not the horse. It usually is the owner that has allowed bad behavior to continue until it becomes a problem. It is the owner that does not have the skills or knowledge to school the horse and train / reinforce proper behavior.

Also, do these horse owners think you train a horse once, and it sticks forever? Most horses quickly realize that the owner does not know what they are doing, and revert to their naughty habits – unless the owner actually has the skills needed to make every ride count, and stay consistent with the training the horse received.

I have NEVER “sent a horse off to training” but I have ridden in more lessons that I can estimate. Never really understood this mentality.
                                          APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

Working...
                                          X