• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Did a horse die at Clinton Anderson's ranch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fairy Knob Farm View Post
    But I did think it was my responsibility to tell my story....I thought for the sake of future horses and horse owners that (even though I do not know how Pharaoh died I assume it was natural causes) that my horse passed away while in training there and our care and treatment afterwards was not smooth or pleasant.
    This is where you lost me.

I've sent my horse out for training. I worried while he was gone.

But if he died while he was there -- which is always a possibility -- and if I concluded that he had probably died of natural causes -- why on earth would it be my "responsibility" to warn other horse owners about that trainer?

P.S. My horse is 13.3. I'm 5'6 and not slim. My horse doesn't feel remotely ponyish. A lot of quarter horses are small, stout, and strong.

Also -- of course we're all sorry your horse died.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Comment

• Originally posted by Fairy Knob Farm View Post
      " I can call in a Veternarian from Dallas to come and do an autopsy if you want." "It will cost $250 for them to make the farm visit and could go as high as $3000.00 If the cause of death is hard to determine." "Things like colic are easier to determine then heart attacks or aneurisms".
      "I will need your answer in the next couple hours." I'd also like to offer you one of my signature horses, I know it is not your horse but I still want you to have it". Horses die, shit happens, I had a friend that died from a heart attack and he was like 30."
      I truly sympathize with you and your horses death, but what you quote above as having come from CA is utterly unacceptable! Did CA try to steer you away from having a necropsy done on your horse by claiming a high expense for it, and offer you a replacement horse instead? It's highly unlikely that he or his staff mistreated your horse, but if he steered you away from a necropsy by claiming it is prohibitively expensive? Then SHAME on him! HE is the one making something smell funny if this case. Again, I am not a litigious person, but if "I''s & "T"'s weren't lined & dotted, then make a stink. You have a right to do so.
      Last edited by jdeboer01; Apr. 1, 2013, 11:57 PM.
      www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
      Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
      with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

Comment

• Newbie first post, so be kind to me.
        I am very sorry your horse died, I really am. However, I cannot understand how you could NOT have a necropsy, when it's not obvious why the horse died? "Tied out low", would be my first clue that something was wrong! I lost a mare to colic and chose not to necropsy her because she was still dead, and we knew why, necropsying her would not bring her back- I was with her from start to finish, and am still totally inconsolable, 25 years later, because of that sad day.

Reading your facebook caused me to note this- you wrote what looked like gloom and doom, wondering if your horse was dead- and then the next day got a call that he was! Then you let yourself be dissuaded from having a necropsy on a previously healthy animal? You had paid for training- why not pay for that necropsy? It just rings strange, I'm sorry- it just does.
        I also take slight umbrage to the " I didn't want a pony" quote- I have 2 14.1 and one 15.2 hh horses, one who is a Paso Fino and the biggest acting horse I know- he rides like he's 16 hands high! He is the epitomy of a warhorse in battle, all snort and fire under control--Don't tell him, or my Arabians, that they are ponies, 'cause they are pretty sure they are horses!
        If it walks like a duck- it's a duck.
        Take the Signature horse and sell it, and before buying another Friesian you can't ride- get some lessons. C.A is an asshat and anyone who knows much about horses can see that. Being told to stay away and not visit- would be clue 2 not to take a horse to him!
        Originally posted by Cindyg View Post
        This is where you lost me.

I've sent my horse out for training. I worried while he was gone.

But if he died while he was there -- which is always a possibility -- and if I concluded that he had probably died of natural causes -- why on earth would it be my "responsibility" to warn other horse owners about that trainer?

P.S. My horse is 13.3. I'm 5'6 and not slim. My horse doesn't feel remotely ponyish. A lot of quarter horses are small, stout, and strong.

Also -- of course we're all sorry your horse died.

Comment

• Originally posted by microbovine View Post
          7 out of 10? What the heck? There is a reason I think most NH is crap. I see these guys selling their special, magical halters, bridles, carrot sticks, and saddles. You need to buy all that crap for their magical training to work. Really, when you think about it, their main technique is to put on a tight pair of Wranglers and appeal to as many middle aged women as possible. That's it. They are marketing based on the classic 'sex appeal' scheme. Why do you think it's so damn hard for equally talented female horse trainers to make that kind of money? Women naturally use more gentle techniques on horses and have done so for centuries. Men picked up on it, dressed up in the rugged cowboy look and made millions. Any marketing expert will tell you how to sell to a market that is dominated by women.

The only one I'd pay money to see is Buck Brannaman. I consider it a bonus that I don't give a flying rat's butt what he looks like.
          I agree, seven out of ten horses with girth galls = bad management. As for the "tight wrangler jeans?" If that influences your choice of trainer for your "beloved" horse, then you've earned whatever bad outcome is coming to you .. no one to blame but youself in that circumstance.

Comment

• Spanish Norman Horse

Just saying.....

Dear Fairyknob:

Since you are able to tame the net, I am sure you could have found the means to check on the price of a necropsy.
            And since you have the money to pay CA, I am sure you could have swung it, even with the fairy and butterfly premium.

When you have a dispute that involves substantial amounts of money and/or legal action, you stay the hell away from FB....makes things so much cleaner and more in your favor in the end.

Quit being condescending about horse size.
            The remark alone of the Spanish Norman horse tells me you know a lot less about horses than you seem to think.
            Size does not matter, it's how you use it

I am sure you loved that horse very much and you are heart broken.
            And I am sorry for your loss.

But sheesh....

BTW, you should have left well enough alone. The COTH forums do pop up on google searches all the time, so it's about as visible, maybe more so, as your FB page.
            it's only you and your 20.000 closest friends....
            Originally posted by BigMama1
            Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
            GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

• Originally posted by Cindyg View Post
              This link didn't work. Would you try it again?
              It seems to be working when I click on it. Idk?
              Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

• Fairy Knob,

I'm very sorry about the loss of your horse. That is NEVER an easy thing to deal with.

I think where the problem is here, is that you are "sharing your story" in a way that suggests CA and DUH are responsible for the death of your horse. You say repeatedly you're not blaming him, but the fact that you feel you "need to share" that "horses might die at the ranch" flies in the face of that.

Since you did not get a necropsy, you have NO idea how or why Pharoah died. So you can't blame anyone, or even hint at responsibility. So then... what is the story you are trying to "share"? That horses die? Well, yes. Everything dies.

Basically, the whole bent of your "sharing" of this story is that you somehow want to blame CA and his ranch and trainers for what happened to Pharoah. Even as your words state the contrary, your actions and other statements are saying, essentially, "CA killed my horse." If you want to be able to say that, you really should have gotten a necropsy.

If you think it was probably natural causes, why was this story shared in this way in the first place, as a "warning" to people? It's an extremely weird way to deal with it. Of course people are often not rational when they're grieving, but still.
                "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgDat...ure=watch-vrec

this is the same link without the m. before youtube. I think that happens when things are shared by mobile device.

Comment

• They maybe it. Lol I am on an iPad. I never knew that. Thanks
                    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

• Is Clinton himself going to appear next?

Why not take the horse he offered you and then sell it?

This still sounds fishy to me.
                      Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
                      Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Comment

• Okay, was this a stud horse or gelding? And, inquiring minds, is a Spanish Norman horse a Friesian? Or is that the breed she raises on the side?

ETA: Sorry, I couldn't get through the vid. The one thing which struck me, the bending to the outside and then 'scurrying' the other way. Even working gates and ranch work, that's impractical. I'm not sure what it's for and why bending so far. ?? But he's the rich one, I'm not....
                        GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

• Originally posted by goneriding24 View Post
                          Okay, was this a stud horse or gelding? And, inquiring minds, is a Spanish Norman horse a Friesian? Or is that the breed she raises on the side?
                          A Spanish Norman is a Andalusian/Percheron crossbred. I knew people who were going to make big money breeding them 15 years ago but shockingly, they only lost money and quit. Low level ammie friendly draft crosses with nice manes and a made-up history, basically.

Comment

I know someone posted the link, but you can also hit the link which says "desktop" at the top of the page...
                            Originally posted by Silverbridge
                            If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by caffeinated View Post
                              Fairy Knob,

Since you did not get a necropsy, you have NO idea how or why Pharoah died. So you can't blame anyone, or even hint at responsibility. So then... what is the story you are trying to "share"? That horses die? Well, yes. Everything dies.

Basically, the whole bent of your "sharing" of this story is that you somehow want to blame CA and his ranch and trainers for what happened to Pharoah. Even as your words state the contrary, your actions and other statements are saying, essentially, "CA killed my horse." If you want to be able to say that, you really should have gotten a necropsy.
                              What troubles me the most about this situation is that CA should have requested and paid for the necropsy himself, just to avoid this very thing from evolving like it has. The fact that he didn't, and also gave the owner information that hints at discouragement for her seeking a necropsy is very telling. If he was 100% certain that it had nothing to do with the training or care, then I can't imagine why he wouldn't want proof of that!

And offering her the horse, when he had no legal obligation to do so (if it wasn't the fault of anything/one at his ranch), adds to my suspicion.

Comment

• Originally posted by valkyrie36 View Post
                                The fact that he didn't, and also gave the owner information that hints at discouragement for her seeking a necropsy is very telling.

Offering up prices (that we do not know if they are right or wrong) is some how discouraging her? If he did not want her to do a necropsy at all I am guessing he would not have brought the subject up.

On the subject of the price, I am guessing, like so many things in life, he gave her the extreme high so there would not be any 'you said it was only going to be $300 and now they are billing me $3000 because I ordered every test in the book, you were not honest' in the end.

Comment

• One thing I can speak to, because I've had the regrettable experience of owning "that kind" of horse:

At the point where you have a 5, 6, or 7 year old who can't be backed--you are in a make-or-break situation. Not only is an unusable horse that age a giant negative number and a liabiity, he has NO future if something happened to YOU.

Reading between the lines, it sounds to me like there's a possibility that all that kissy-face and tricks training on the ground somehow might have given this horse the wrong idea about "who's on top." Maybe yes, maybe no. With my Lusitano/TB cross, I did everything 100% right from the day he was born and he still always had several screws loose--and several of the best in the business couldn't fix him.

At that point owning him was about as much fun as "loving" a man who beats you every night. I was pouring money down a BNT's rathole to try desperately to get this horse some kind of a life--because if he was too dangerous for me, the trainers considered him too dangerous for ANYBODY and the alternative was a hole in the ground.

When you sign a horse like that over to someone for re-education, you must assume that some pretty strong methods of obtaining submission will be used. These may include flipping, various forms of tying or hobbling, withholding normal feed or water, and multiple sessions of hard work per day. When you're desperate to salvage the situation, the best thing you can do is make sure he's properly insured. In fact, I do this ANY time I won't be the primary caregiver for one of my horses.

I've seen CA's methods on TV and personally believe these are very strong, very coercive methods appropriate only FOR the real "problem cases." I think using those methods with an average, agreeable young horse creates far more problems than it solves. I believe these methods ARE appropriate for the situation with the Friesian you describe.

Further: Talk to some of the European dressage trainers who work with Baroque breeds and you'll quickly find that the vast majority of those horses spend all day in a tie-stall and are taken out for their work only. They live a life of very carefully orchestrated control and unremitting discipline. My experiences with several rang-a-tang Iberians over the years (most were boarders) has led me to the conclusion that this is done for a reason. These horses require being in a program with constant, expert and very disciplined handling. Few of them are good choices for a novice, an ammie or a person who lacks the ability and desire to be very strong with a horse when need be. The bond one can develop with these horses can only be forged through deep, mutual respect. It is easier to break the eggs than to make the omelet. Been there, done that.

Comment

• Originally posted by valkyrie36 View Post
                                    What troubles me the most about this situation is that CA should have requested and paid for the necropsy himself, just to avoid this very thing from evolving like it has. The fact that he didn't, and also gave the owner information that hints at discouragement for her seeking a necropsy is very telling. If he was 100% certain that it had nothing to do with the training or care, then I can't imagine why he wouldn't want proof of that!

And offering her the horse, when he had no legal obligation to do so (if it wasn't the fault of anything/one at his ranch), adds to my suspicion.
                                    who is to say he didn't offer?
                                    GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

• Originally posted by goneriding24 View Post
                                      Okay, was this a stud horse or gelding? And, inquiring minds, is a Spanish Norman horse a Friesian? Or is that the breed she raises on the side?

ETA: Sorry, I couldn't get through the vid. The one thing which struck me, the bending to the outside and then 'scurrying' the other way. Even working gates and ranch work, that's impractical. I'm not sure what it's for and why bending so far. ?? But he's the rich one, I'm not....
                                      Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                                      Spanish Norman Horse

Just saying.....

I don't quote myself often
                                      GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

• It took me 13 pages of reading to realize DUH ranch was Down Under Horsemanship and not DUH, as in Homer Simpson. Duh.....

I too am sorry for the lady's loss (we've all been there at sometime) but I agree that Fairy Knob should have taken the offered horse and sold it. I mean, it is a CA Signature horse. Some fan would have paid big money, I'm sure.
                                        Groom to trainer: "Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!"

Comment

• Originally posted by trubandloki View Post

Offering up prices (that we do not know if they are right or wrong) is some how discouraging her? If he did not want her to do a necropsy at all I am guessing he would not have brought the subject up.

On the subject of the price, I am guessing, like so many things in life, he gave her the extreme high so there would not be any 'you said it was only going to be $300 and now they are billing me $3000 because I ordered every test in the book, you were not honest' in the end.
                                          I agree. I don't feel that his words were discouraging either. I think he may have been trying to prevent any sticker shock to a woman who was already clearly upset.

I also feel that he was not obligated to pay for it himself. It was the owners horse and he left it up to her if she wanted the body examined. Some people have deep spiritual or personal beliefs that a body not be desecrated. It's not a decision I would feel comfortable making for someone else.

CA didn't need to make the offer of a replacement horse but I'm sure he did it as a gesture of good will and to try to maintain a potentially profitable (for him) business relationship - whether through FKF sending more horses or word of mouth about how he went above and beyond to try to make a bad situation better. No, the horse he offered wasn't going to replace your horse and you have every right to turn it down but to complain about an offer he wasn't obligated to make in any way is simply bad form. I equate this to getting a gift from someone and you just didn't like it so you post on Facebook what a horrible person someone is because they didn't give you exactly what you wanted. Think about how that sounds. When I'm on the receiving end of a bad gift, I politely accept it, thank the gift giver for their kindness and then quietly exchange the gift for something more fitting for my personal taste. I'm with you - I'm not a QH person either. But you bet your butt I would have accepted it graciously and then found a way to make lemonade from those lemons.

I also agree with Lady Eboshi's assessment. It seems that this gelding may have been treated more like a spoiled pet than a 1500 pound animal with the potential to do serious harm to his handlers. Tough love is often in order to knock these guys down a few pegs and I'm sure CA was capable of delivering on this.

It's a shame the horse passed on but I'm with the crowd that says it was probably a breed specific congenital issue rather than anyone's fault. Seeking to place blame on anyone in this matter is a fool's mission - especially when you weren't there, have no evidence to support your theory and have contradicted yourself through your comments.

I understand you have suffered a loss, but opening yourself up to a potential lawsuit for slander/libel and making yourself a target for public ridicule isn't going to help you move on.

Comment

Working...
                                          X