• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Did a horse die at Clinton Anderson's ranch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A great trainer I know says training horses is easy, but training their owners requires considerable skill.

I have "sent a horse off to training" once. He was so different from any other horse I had ever worked with that I was worried that I didn't have the skill or experience to start him under saddle without risking messing him up. Of course, "sent off" is relative - I drove by the place I sent him to every day on my way to and from work.
    "Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything
    that's even remotely true."

Homer Simpson

Comment

• Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
      I think the lady is whacked.
      I would guess CA is not at fault for the death of the horse.
      I think CA's response sucks.

It is not an autopsy. It is a necropsy. Sigh.
      This x 1,000,000,000.

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
      I always thought it was autopsy because one species was performing it on the same species. Necropsies are performed by one species on a different species. So if a horse did it to another horse it would be an autopsy!
      That's how I've always understood it.

Originally posted by goneriding24 View Post
      Anything with the word "squaw" in it. Locally, a road's name was changed to drop that word. It's now "Bliss Road".
      Hey...I might know you! Bliss Rd. (formerly Squaw Flat Rd.) is right around the corner from me! PM me your name?
      Life is short. Ride your best horse first.

Comment

• Originally posted by MMacallister View Post
        Would I send my horse to a trainer who said I couldn't see it for 6 weeks..Hells no,
        Buuuutttt Magikal fairytale lady KNEW that was his practice, I am sure she read his website, and most likely signed a contract stating all of the stuff on his page. If she didn't like it, she shouldn't have sent him there.
        Ummm... well.... it's not like she was, you know, out of 'touch' with the horse... She could communicate with him through her dreams.... so...
        "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

• Wrong wrong, who ties a horse to graze and low..., Friesians are known for long necks & high. Forcing a long neck horse to a short lead is crazy and not training, but cruel. Poor thing, I can only imagine what this young guy had to face. Big name trainer even need to re-evaluate their programs and adjust, fix......death s/b uncommon, not normal in any training program OR the program is not a success

Originally posted by DancingFoalFarms View Post
          I saw an update where she offers more explanation. She now says CA "told [her] he had been tied out low to graze for two hours. When the academy student came back to get him he was laying down and was dead."

That stinks. Whatever the situation, losing a horse is awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by HealingHeart View Post
            Wrong wrong, who ties a horse to graze and low..., Friesians are known for long necks & high. Forcing a long neck horse to a short lead is crazy and not training, but cruel. Poor thing, I can only imagine what this young guy had to face. Big name trainer even need to re-evaluate their programs and adjust, fix......death s/b uncommon, not normal in any training program OR the program is not a success
            Known for long necks?
            Not so's I've noticed...
            Mostly they seem known for vast quantities of hair....
            "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

• Originally posted by ReSomething View Post
              *Ahem* here in KY we have many many 17th and 18th century place names using knob. For an example my MIL used to live off of Bald Knob road. It refers to a promontory, a slightly higher hill, and most hills around here are worn down and rounded, so, Knob.

One can also find lick as a place name, usually refers to a creek and probably came from creeks that tendd to have salt deposits so there is Salt Lick, Paint Lick, and three guesses for the last one.

Sorta bad when there's sniggering and giggling during a geography lesson.
              My favorite is Big Bone Lick State Park. It's sad, but I giggle every time I drive past that exit.

EDIT: Oops, should've scrolled down to the next post. What Alagirl said.
              "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Comment

• Yes, they can over heat quicker than others. I wonder if they just consider each, regardless of breed or condition, is treated equal.... In training approach. Or do they tailor to fit the specific horse.....

Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post
                Known for long necks?
                Not so's I've noticed...
                Mostly they seem known for vast quantities of hair....

Comment

• It's amazing the things I've learned on COTH.

Comment

• Originally posted by HealingHeart View Post
                    Yes, they can over heat quicker than others. I wonder if they just consider each, regardless of breed or condition, is treated equal.... In training approach. Or do they tailor to fit the specific horse.....
                    What does hyperthermia have to do with a long neck?
                    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

• Ghazzu, I think it was your reference to all the hair...so she has moved from necks to hair.
                      COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

• Originally posted by Appsolute View Post
                        Excellent point. A large majority of the time, it’s the owner that needs the boot camp, not the horse. It usually is the owner that has allowed bad behavior to continue until it becomes a problem. It is the owner that does not have the skills or knowledge to school the horse and train / reinforce proper behavior.

Also, do these horse owners think you train a horse once, and it sticks forever? Most horses quickly realize that the owner does not know what they are doing, and revert to their naughty habits – unless the owner actually has the skills needed to make every ride count, and stay consistent with the training the horse received.

I have NEVER “sent a horse off to training” but I have ridden in more lessons that I can estimate. Never really understood this mentality.
                        Originally posted by NoSuchPerson View Post
                        A great trainer I know says training horses is easy, but training their owners requires considerable skill.

CA does have the owners come in at the end and they spend time making sure the owner knows what the horse has been taught and how to work with them through his method.

Comment

• Originally posted by Midge View Post
                          Do we know it was the first time it was hobbled?
                          I would doubt it was just hobbled for the first time and left alone. CA has a DVD all on hobble training and I've seen a short course of it. He says that it is not something to just start off with, that you need to put other ground work into them first. From what I've seen they start out just doing it for a short period of time and supervised then once the horse seems to understand they move on to other methods. I believe he's talked about using it to for longer periods for turnout as well. The video I saw they start out with single leg hobbles, then side hobbles (front and back leg on the same side) and finally the use the hobbles that go on the front two legs. I think they even might use the side hobbles together with that, I can't remember. I will say, when I first heard him talk about hobble training I was against it, but after watching the video, it was very interesting and I can see the benefits of doing it. I don't know that I'd feel comfortable doing it myself, however.

Comment

• Originally posted by harvestmoon View Post
                            My favorite is Big Bone Lick State Park. It's sad, but I giggle every time I drive past that exit.

EDIT: Oops, should've scrolled down to the next post. What Alagirl said.
                            I was born on Seymour-Johnson AFB. That name has always cracked me up.

Oh, and someone mentioned earlier how "fanny" is not a word to throw around in the UK. It refers to the opposite side of the anatomy we Yanks use the word for. Or, as the Brits also call it, the "front bottom".

Comment

• Yep.... Bottom line, wrong and endless questions.....

Originally posted by TheJenners View Post
                              Ghazzu, I think it was your reference to all the hair...so she has moved from necks to hair.

Comment

• Originally posted by BensMama View Post
                                Hey...I might know you! Bliss Rd. (formerly Squaw Flat Rd.) is right around the corner from me! PM me your name?
                                Welp, I don't mean to be rude but I like my anon on here. If you are on the local FB site or the OR one, we'll probably 'see' each other. Once you've been around a bit and read others probs with some other members, you'll what I mean. So, I'm pretty determined to stay out of the limelight, except for saying I'm in Orygun. Hope you understand.

As for the horse overheating a bit more, could it be due to the color? Dark skin? Lots of hair, mane??
                                GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

• Originally posted by D_BaldStockings View Post
                                  My observation is that CA believes hard work does not hurt a horse.

A good horseman knows where conditioning work or training sessions should stop and allow the horse to recover.

A good horseman also knows when heat inversion or mental melt-down is imminent.

A good horseman also takes steps to mitigate those possible situations.
                                  Water, bathing, walking a horse until heart and temp return to normal are all part of good horsemanship trainng.

Do accidents happen and horses die even where intelligent care and proper conditioning is carried out? Sometimes.

Creating circumstances that predispose to 'accidents' is a whole different scenario: sort of like throwing novice drivers in a factory sportscar and telling them to take deadman's curve at 65 mph -because seasoned racing drivers in modified and tuned machines can do it at 90.

And I am saddened that the owner appeared to want the 'gumption' taken out of her horse by aggressive exhaustion means, she knows so little about training animals if she feels this is going to give her a tractable, willing horse SHE can handle. Fairyland, indeed.
                                  Where is the boot camp for owner/riders to get fit and learn to manage their horses?
                                  Exactly - I think CA us using the logic that "all animals die" almost as a defense. Well, of course they do, but how many of us have had training related accidents that have killed a horse? It rarely happens, but would you advertise it on your website as though there's a good chance that it might die, so be prepared? I have watched him work horses way past melt down, and he thinks it's leaned something, but it's simply too exhausted to react the way it wants to.

I know someone who worships the ground CA walks on and she recently told me she had her horse do a 30 mile trail ride without ANY conditioning. The fact that it didn't die, to her, means it's okay - that reminded me so much of CA. It breaks my heart for her horse.

Comment

• This Thread Delivers!

Just sorry that there had to be a dead horse involved.

Originally posted by randomequine View Post
                                    "Like if you love Jesus! Ignore if you support Satan!"
                                    Originally posted by OldNag View Post
                                    Ok visited the Facebook page and this woman seems a little coo coo for coconuts.
                                    Originally posted by dani0303 View Post
                                    Too much majikal farting butterflies for me.
                                    Originally posted by Plainandtall View Post
                                    you don't just trust that there is a dead friesian in a hole somewhere in Texas...
                                    Isn't that a Merle Haggard song?

Originally posted by jdeboer01 View Post
                                    This person is a loon.
                                    Originally posted by jetsmom View Post
                                    For a Majikal Friesian, there is the cost of 1 horse necropsy, plus the necropsy of 743 Butterflies, and 1 Fairy.
                                    Originally posted by Donatella View Post
                                    Not everyone with a Friesian is crazy!
                                    Hmmmm

Originally posted by microbovine View Post
                                    That woman is definitely three flakes shy of a bale.
                                    Originally posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
                                    Fairy Knob Farm Would you like some crazy to go with your Majikal cup of coffee?
                                    Originally posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
                                    Ever "allow" horses to "actually" die? In contrast to what, pretend die?
                                    Originally posted by microbovine View Post
                                    Oh yeah, get me on the waitlist for a mutt foal from her farm. And she says she loves to grow and use herbs. I'll bet she does.....
                                    Originally posted by caffeinated View Post
                                    Are we sure this isn't a munchausen by internet case?
                                    Originally posted by spacytracy View Post
                                    That chick is cray-cray.
                                    Who is the lady doing the belly scratch and who is the purple fairy?

Couldn't we at least braid his mane full of fairy flowers and get a few snaps of him playing dress up?
                                    Originally posted by Snowflake View Post
                                    Doubtful.... Cray cray peeps don't care about stuff like oh, you know, genetic health when it has HAIR and is so SPESHUL!! This horse communicated with her telepathicly through her dreams. I'm sure he would have communicated the fact that he wanted to keep his junk.
                                    Originally posted by Midge View Post
                                    The 14.1 hand horse probably would have been perfect for her, but not majikal. Probably not even black.
                                    Originally posted by UlysMom View Post
                                    This whole thing just screams crazy from every rooftop.

And, CA should not be taking PR advice from the likes of Mel Gibson.
                                    Originally posted by mvp View Post
                                    Crank away toward nasty people who have never done you a good turn.
                                    The thought of the Big name himself at his home or office computer scrolling through the fairy pictures...

oh the humanity.
                                    Originally posted by hundredacres View Post
                                    Lady is a crazy loon, and CA is a narcissistic ass.
                                    Originally posted by RedMare01 View Post
                                    Is anyone else just amused that his ranch is the DUH Ranch?
                                    Originally posted by katarine View Post
                                    He's a jerk, she's a moron, but he's made a blooming FORTUNE at the DUH school of horsemanship. Mate.
                                    Originally posted by CFFarm View Post
                                    I mean no disrespect for the lady's loss but what is a Fairy Knob?
                                    Originally posted by Mara View Post
                                    It does conjure up an x-rated image of little naked guy fairies! (Well, it does to me, anyway).
                                    Originally posted by spacytracy View Post
                                    And how come it's called necrophilia and not autophilia? Inquiring minds...
                                    Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                                    Big Bone Lick?
                                    Originally posted by Superminion View Post
                                    We have a Bald Knob Rd here too. I always giggle a little bit when we drive past it. I swear I'm an adult....really.

Did anybody else scroll down to the story in which Fairy Knob gives the Doc at Texas A&M a hard time

Originally posted by MyssMyst View Post
                                    Beaverlick!
                                    Originally posted by Snowflake View Post
                                    There's a Deepwood Drive on the way to the barn and I get the giggles from that. I would certainly chuckle about Bald Knob and Beaver Lick.
                                    Originally posted by HungarianHippo View Post
                                    There's also Grandpa's Knob in VT. Just ewwwww.
                                    Originally posted by dressagetraks View Post
                                    It's amazing the things I've learned on COTH.
                                    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Easy-K...22998204542511
                                    http://www.easykeeperfarm.com

I can ride my horses without a sharps container.

Comment

• Well, somebody has mastered the multi-quote post! ....I've been here for ages and still don't have a clue how to use it!

Comment

• Originally posted by hundredacres View Post
                                        Well, somebody has mastered the multi-quote post! ....I've been here for ages and still don't have a clue how to use it!
                                        Somebody has no life on a Friday night

trubandloki explained the multi-quote thing in Post #80 on this thread! It SO delivers!
                                        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Easy-K...22998204542511
                                        http://www.easykeeperfarm.com

I can ride my horses without a sharps container.

Comment

• Originally posted by Martha Drum View Post
                                          Just sorry that there had to be a dead horse involved.

Isn't that a Merle Haggard song?

Hmmmm

Are you sure you didn't do it?

now THAT'S an impressive amount of quotes!

Record?

Comment

Working...
                                          X