• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Seven Bald Eagles Near Death After Eating Dead Horses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    You might all be surprised to hear that some retirement homes for horses do above ground composting for the horses that are put down. How do I know? Because I visited one a few years ago and the owner told us that that was what they did. Most of the horses are euthanised and left to compost above ground. In fact they stated that Bald Eagles regularly frequent the farm looking for the dead horses.

    This was not a terrible place either. Also, you can look up Humane Horse Remains Disposal and read state laws regarding proper disposal which in most cases the responsibility lies on the owner it seems. Burial is one of the choices, but must be done in 2 days in most cases, this includes natural death or otherwise.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

    "To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Eventer55 View Post
      You might all be surprised to hear that some retirement homes for horses do above ground composting for the horses that are put down.
      Above ground composting can be done with out putting other animals at risk.

      http://compost.css.cornell.edu/naturalrenderingFS.pdf

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
        Above ground composting can be done with out putting other animals at risk.

        http://compost.css.cornell.edu/naturalrenderingFS.pdf
        Cornell with a sense of humor, look at the cartoons.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Bluey View Post
          Cornell with a sense of humor, look at the cartoons.
          I know, I love the cartoons. They most certainly hired someone who had fun with that part of the brochure.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
            Above ground composting can be done with out putting other animals at risk.

            http://compost.css.cornell.edu/naturalrenderingFS.pdf
            Yes, but this place was just leaving the carcass out in the open to rot having been euthanized with chemicals.
            RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

            "To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

            Comment


            • #66
              Lori B,

              You are surely right that buckshot is the bigger culprit, particularly compared to the single bullet in a horse killed in this manner and then buried. But, even lead bullets can sicken birds, which are really sensitive to all kinds of chemicals. From the local wildlife center's website (wildlifecenter.org):

              Turkey Vultures, like other scavenging birds, have also been greatly impacted by lead toxicity – most commonly from eating the flesh of animal that contains lead. If a hunter shoots an animal with lead bullets or buckshot, and fails to properly remove or cover the carcass, it is possible that scavengers such as vultures and eagles will consume the contaminated meat and suffer from severe illness or death.


              ...of course, there are unfortunately plenty of other human sources of lead and crappy chemicals besides just bullets and buckshot. Hope these guys recover.
              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Easy-K...22998204542511
              http://www.easykeeperfarm.com

              I can ride my horses without a sharps container.

              Comment


              • #67
                Wow, sad story. Our horses are buried - all coordinated with backhoe guy - vet was there but not becaue he had to be.

                I am going to follow up on whether or not there are some birds that don't make it, as my husband for sure will use an eagle wing in ceremonies. They are hard to come by though,for good and obvious reasons, but it ensures that spirit will endure.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                  I know, I love the cartoons. They most certainly hired someone who had fun with that part of the brochure.
                  And yikes, it makes sense, but I didn't know that decomposing ruminants will explode unless the rumen is pierced to allow gas to escape.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Mara View Post
                    And yikes, it makes sense, but I didn't know that decomposing ruminants will explode unless the rumen is pierced to allow gas to escape.
                    I know, right!

                    (and I dare not ask how they fond out either)

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      I talked with a woman from Cornell about this procedure one year at Empire Farm days (and dug in a pile of mulch that they had composted a few calves in). I do not know about any explosions or anything but I do know they did a bunch of experiments to determine what worked the best.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        then again...it might be interesting to watch the video of the explosion...like the deal with the whale they blew up

                        I know, I know...I am odd...

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          ROFL

                          Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                          then again...it might be interesting to watch the video of the explosion...like the deal with the whale they blew up

                          I know, I know...I am odd...
                          The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                          H. Cate

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Rendering is not an acceptable way to dispose of a pentobarbital-tainted carcass. The drug residues are not destroyed in the rendering process, so the tissues and by-products may contain poison and must not be used for animal feed.


                            http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/poison.pdf.



                            Euthanasia methods such as gunshot or
                            penetrating captive bolt have been used on free-ranging wildlife by specially trained personnel in cases where burial or other methods of disposal were unavailable. While pentobarbital injection is generally the preferred method of humane euthanasia, there are some instances involving field euthanasia of
                            wildlife by law enforcement or other wildlife professionals in which the carcass
                            must be left exposed in the field (e.g. when frozen ground prevents burial).
                            According to the AVMA Panel on Euthanasia1, in these situations “...a gunshot to
                            the head, penetrating captive bolt, or injectable agents that are non-toxic
                            (potassium chloride in combination with a non-toxic general anesthetic) should
                            be used so that the potential for scavenger or predator toxicity is lessened.” While
                            a discussion of these alternate methods is beyond the scope of this fact sheet, it
                            must be emphasized that they are last resort procedures restricted to use by
                            trained, authorized personnel, where no other options are available.
                            The Elephant in the room

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Anne FS View Post
                              What the fruitbat? "What about the vet?"?? It's not the vet's job to bury horses. No vet I've known sticks around until the backhoe gets there, and they most certainly aren't required to. Owner says they'll take care of it and you want the vet to drive back onto the property, uninvited, to inspect? You have a strange idea of what doctors do.
                              I was very surprised to discover the vet can be held accountable accoridng to the link I provided on my previous post. It IS their responsibility to inform the owner of the horse and the carcass should be tagged as poisoned.
                              The Elephant in the room

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by ReSomething View Post
                                According to a friend of mine who called the vet out to attend a mare who turned out to have a broken scapula, once he involved the vet he couldn't shoot the horse, he had to have the vet use the poisonous solution. I don't understand why he couldn't send the vet off and then euth by gunshot, but that is the story.
                                That's strange, especially considering the vets around my neighborhood use gunshot by preference (but will do chemical if the owner insists)

                                Comment


                                • #76
                                  Composting of large animal mortalities is a science; and you have to do it right. We are going to see more composting of dead livestock; on working farms as well as horse farms.

                                  But it MUST be done correctly or it is an absolutely gruesome health and environmental disaster. If you saw a farm that utilized that method, you can be sure they worked with the extension or another entity to build it correctly.

                                  Done correctly, it is safe and effective and the resulting compost is as safe as composted plant matter.

                                  Whales have been successfully composted, somewhere on the net there is a photo of the method and the result.

                                  Originally posted by Eventer55 View Post
                                  You might all be surprised to hear that some retirement homes for horses do above ground composting for the horses that are put down. How do I know? Because I visited one a few years ago and the owner told us that that was what they did. Most of the horses are euthanised and left to compost above ground. In fact they stated that Bald Eagles regularly frequent the farm looking for the dead horses.
                                  .
                                  Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                  Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                  -Rudyard Kipling

                                  Comment


                                  • #77
                                    I'd like to know more about rendering / chemical euth.

                                    Fairfax says you can't render a chemically euthed horse.

                                    Hmm. Either the rendering plant is doing something really unethical or impossible... or the rendering plant is using their truck and winch to offer a sideline disposal service that isn't rendering. Twice I have had the vet out to put down a horse, and both were removed from my farm within an hour by a rendering truck for a substantial fee.

                                    There was no deception about how the horses died- the rendering company knew to work their timing with the vet.

                                    I have long wondered how the plant deals with the tainted carcassed vs those of animals who die without the chemicals. I always assumed that the high cost of removing a dead horse vs. the "downer cow" ad was not a "luxury tax" imposed on us 1%er horse owners... rather it was a practical price reflecting the fact that the downer cow could be rendered into a more profitable substance while the tainted horse carcass had to be treated in a way where it either A: yielded a material of little resale value or B: required a more lengthy or expensive process to manage the contamination.

                                    Comment


                                    • #78
                                      Originally posted by Plainandtall View Post
                                      I'd like to know more about rendering / chemical euth.

                                      Fairfax says you can't render a chemically euthed horse.

                                      Hmm. Either the rendering plant is doing something really unethical or impossible... or the rendering plant is using their truck and winch to offer a sideline disposal service that isn't rendering. Twice I have had the vet out to put down a horse, and both were removed from my farm within an hour by a rendering truck for a substantial fee.

                                      There was no deception about how the horses died- the rendering company knew to work their timing with the vet.

                                      I have long wondered how the plant deals with the tainted carcassed vs those of animals who die without the chemicals. I always assumed that the high cost of removing a dead horse vs. the "downer cow" ad was not a "luxury tax" imposed on us 1%er horse owners... rather it was a practical price reflecting the fact that the downer cow could be rendered into a more profitable substance while the tainted horse carcass had to be treated in a way where it either A: yielded a material of little resale value or B: required a more lengthy or expensive process to manage the contamination.
                                      well, the chemically euthanized horse cannot be used to make pet food.

                                      but there is still fertilizer....

                                      Comment


                                      • #79
                                        Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
                                        Rendering is not an acceptable way to dispose of a pentobarbital-tainted carcass. The drug residues are not destroyed in the rendering process, so the tissues and by-products may contain poison and must not be used for animal feed.


                                        http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/poison.pdf.



                                        Euthanasia methods such as gunshot or
                                        penetrating captive bolt have been used on free-ranging wildlife by specially trained personnel in cases where burial or other methods of disposal were unavailable. While pentobarbital injection is generally the preferred method of humane euthanasia, there are some instances involving field euthanasia of
                                        wildlife by law enforcement or other wildlife professionals in which the carcass
                                        must be left exposed in the field (e.g. when frozen ground prevents burial).
                                        According to the AVMA Panel on Euthanasia1, in these situations “...a gunshot to
                                        the head, penetrating captive bolt, or injectable agents that are non-toxic
                                        (potassium chloride in combination with a non-toxic general anesthetic) should
                                        be used so that the potential for scavenger or predator toxicity is lessened.” While
                                        a discussion of these alternate methods is beyond the scope of this fact sheet, it
                                        must be emphasized that they are last resort procedures restricted to use by
                                        trained, authorized personnel, where no other options are available.
                                        That depends on how the plant uses the carcasses. In Kansas, at this time, the company still picks up cattle (over 2 years old) and horses who have been chemically euthanized. The biggest change is the route, they no longer provide same day pick up so a horse/cow that has an unplanned death will be on the property for 2 or 3 days. Otherwise, you schedule the euthanasia with the company and vet for same day pick up.

                                        Comment


                                        • #80
                                          http://tdn.com/news/local/authoritie...9bb2963f4.html

                                          That article has a bit more information. Says the owner of the horses had no idea that the bodies could be harmful and that the backhoe she had scheduled to bury the horses broke down.
                                          “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X