• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Do You Know Your Tail Ribbons?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Know Your Tail Ribbons?

Here you go! Have any to add?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Well I knew red, it is the only one I have ever seen!

Comment

I know stallion ribbons as red/white/blue

Comment

Red is pretty common at the local saddle clubs for some reason. I have never seen the others though!
        Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
        The Blog

Comment

I knew red, of course, and had heard of green but not seen it in use. Is there a color for "dumb"? I have one that could use that.

Comment

STRONGLY disagree with the Stallion ribbon color. Stallions have ALWAYS been marked with a YELLOW ribbon in my experiences in various disciplines. Especially the Hunting crowd. We got taught the meaning of ribbon colors as kids, to keep us out of trouble riding in groups.

One of those "NEVER, EVER go up behind a horse with a ribbon in their tail", because it WILL NOT end well!

Very few folks these days, expecially Western folks have any knowledge of the meaning of ribbons in a tail. They think it is some new fashion statement! Some learned about ribbons though, after getting in too close!!

The horse-for-sale ribbon is new, if anyone actually uses it. I have never seen one in actual use, just as jokes where your "friend" is goofing on you.

Comment

Yep always saw studs as yellow myself.
              Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

I have seen green ribbons used to mean "for sale" at a Connemara show.
                Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Green: green horse
                  Red: kicker
                  Yellow: stallion
                  White: for sale

From the hunt field. Some hunts do not permit stallions.
                  Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                  Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                  -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I wonder what country this picture originally came from? As I say I know red/white/blue as stallion ribbons, never seen yellow or blue for stallions.

I'm in the UK, I expect it is different in different countries, and may possibly vary between disciplines, I don't know.

examples:

Stallions may not be jumped on a ticket and must
                    wear stallion discs and tail ribbons (red, white and blue) at competitions at all times.

All competing STALLIONS must be graded with the IDHS (GB) as RID (GB), ID Class 1 or ID Class 2 OR Grade 1 Irish Draught Sport Horse and must display a red, white and blue ribbon in their tails.

Comment

I give up

Funny how the white one is for "For Sale" like I SURRENDER!
                      to err is human, to whinny, Equine.
                      Ebay-aholic! Carolina clique, BITS AND BARTER BOARD BUDDY
                      EYEGLASSES MISSIONS FOR ARMENIA-send me your old glasses!

Comment

Around here the only color ribbon you ever see is red.

Comment

Originally posted by horsepoor View Post
                          Is there a color for "dumb"? I have one that could use that.
                          Use green.
                          Like a kid that is held back a year.
                          A pussycat of a horse with a chewed off tail won the triple crown, The Cubs won the world series and Trump won the Presidency.
                          Don't tell me 'It can't be done.'

Comment

Never seen it, but I was taught that a black ribbon means the horse is being ridden by a member of the clergy.

Comment

Originally posted by goodhors View Post
                              STRONGLY disagree with the Stallion ribbon color. Stallions have ALWAYS been marked with a YELLOW ribbon in my experiences in various disciplines. Especially the Hunting crowd. We got taught the meaning of ribbon colors as kids, to keep us out of trouble riding in groups.

...The horse-for-sale ribbon is new, if anyone actually uses it. I have never seen one in actual use, just as jokes where your "friend" is goofing on you.
                              Agree. YELLOW has always been the color for stallions from as far back as I can remember...which is probably as far back as goodhors can remember, too. And that's a LONG way back!

Never, ever saw a white ribbon. Ever. Since a ribbon generally means "caution", it would be counter-productive to put a ribbon in a sale horse tail. It would totally warn off anyone, including buyers!

On a few endurance rides, where one does see stallions competing, I've been surprised to see colorful red/white/blue streamers in stallion tails. And when I say streamers, I mean "in your face large as life whole handful meant to be seen from 10 miles away" streamers as long as the tail, and very plentiful. When DRS ("distance related stupidity") hits a rider after hours on the trail, the stallion owner wants to make really, really, REALLY sure said DRS rider doesn't miss those stallion ribbons! Hence the vibrant colors and plentiful number.

Comment

everyequine
                                I give up
                                Funny how the white one is for "For Sale" like I SURRENDER!
                                Love it!

Yep, these have been around since Jesus was in short pants.

But I know them the same as JSwan with yellow = stallion.

The white and green ribbons have also been around forever. I think they just went out of style and hopefully are coming back in style?

Horses used to get sold at shows all the time...more often than sold from their barns or ads. And there would be quite a few sporting white tail ribbons. Not only did we put a white ribbon in the tail braid, announcers would sometimes also mention it was for sale if it had a nice round/class.
                                And if it had a wreck of a class, you'd often see the horse have that white ribbon removed really fast, LOL!

I've wondered for a while now why people don't use the white ribbons considering all the chatter about how to advertise a horse. People in the 70s-80s around here used to even bring their family/trail horses to local smaller shows and put them in trail classes with a white ribbon just to get them sold, not because they were interested in showing.
                                You jump in the saddle,
                                Hold onto the bridle!
                                Jump in the line!
                                ...Belefonte

Comment

Originally posted by goodhors View Post

Very few folks these days, expecially Western folks have any knowledge of the meaning of ribbons in a tail. They think it is some new fashion statement! Some learned about ribbons though, after getting in too close!!
                                  The last time I used a ribbon on the witchy mare on a poker ride, I had people riding right up on her ass to ask what the ribbon meant.

Same group, a year later, riding a nice gelding that had never offered to kick. Well, gelding decided maybe kicking was worthwhile after some idiot spent 30 mins so close I could have easily reached an arm back without leaning and patted his horse's nose at any time. Rider ignored multiple warnings and the single-track trail didn't give me room to move aside. My horse kicked for the first and last time in his life (didn't do any damage since the horse was too close!) and everyone started yelling about how I needed to mark my kicker with a ribbon.

At least they learned what the ribbons are for, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by JustJumpIt! View Post
                                    Never seen it, but I was taught that a black ribbon means the horse is being ridden by a member of the clergy.
                                    I have never heard that exactly. But in foxhunting the poppers on a hunt whip can have a meaning; if a member of the clergy was in the field his whip popper would be black; as a clergyman would eschew bright color.

It seems folks don't care much about that sort of thing these days; but once upon a time these things did have meaning. They were important to help distinguish people and horses quickly and easily; and without having to get too close.

I guess nowadays folks just ride up right behind a strange horse and then sue when their horse gets kicked.
                                    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                    -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I spent my childhood riding my pony with a red ribbon in her tail. It was so embarrassing, but less so then when someone ignored it or didn't know what it meant, and my pony tried to kick them.

Comment

I remember learning them in Pony Club, but I seem to recall yellow for stallion, green for green, and red for kicker. I never learned white.

Comment

Working...
                                        X