• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Hey Leerburg: Don't advertise your Amish dog leashes with a photo of a starved horse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unfforgettable View Post
    Just for giggles, I pulled the photo up in Photoshop and resized it so I could see more clearly. That horse is NOT showing any ribs, is not hollow or lacking muscles across the topline or hindquarters, the hipbones aren't jutting out, and it is most certainly not starving. It's a solid 4.5 -5.

While it is not a particularly well-put together or attractive horse, it is in good weight, and there is even a bit of shine to it, even with a shaggy, sweaty winter coat.
    I too used Photoshop to pull the photo up and resize it. The photo I see when I look at the larger file is a photo of a horse in half-way decent weight - not fat and happy the way we seem to prefer our horses in this day and age, but also not starving to death thin. The mess over the ribs does seem to be just sweat to me. What concerned me wasn't the ribs or the weight, but what is going on over the croup. There seems to be a missing chunk of horse. Of course it is possible there is a white marking there that is fooling they eye, but I believe when I blow the photo up I see the bush behind the horse pretty clearly in that space. And yes, it appears the croup/rump area has some hollows as well.
    Overall, this horse isn't on death's door IMVVHO, but also isn't shiny fat and happy.
    If you love me let me go....

Comment

Originally posted by Toadie's mom View Post
      I also just saw a slightly lean, sweaty horse (who maybe has a little age on him?) They aren't show hunters!
      This!

Certainly not a starved creature with scaring on visible ribs.

Comment

Just a question about the harness on the horse. Does the collar fit correctly on it? Isn't it a bit high or too small? If so, to my inexperienced driving eyes, I'm more concerned about the horse air being cut off a bit.
        GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

Originally posted by goneriding24 View Post
          Just a question about the harness on the horse. Does the collar fit correctly on it? Isn't it a bit high or too small? If so, to my inexperienced driving eyes, I'm more concerned about the horse air being cut off a bit.
          No, it doesn't fit well, but he doesn't mind - he keeps working doesn't he? [sarc]

Comment

When I looked at him I had to take into account that there is a crupper most likely going down his backbone along with the breeching, the collar, the overcheck etc. All that is going to change how we see his topline and get in the way of seeing the rest of him. I also see a little gut - a mare in foal perhaps? She/ He's no pretty show horse, that's one thing for certain.
            Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
            Incredible Invisible

Comment

well, if we are going to pick apart the photo let me add that he is not standing under him/herself in the back end.

I don't see a top line, I see a horse that has been allowed to trot along on its front end and has an under developed top line. The collar is indeed too small, but the amish do what the amish do and they get a way with it. The horse is neither ribby or over weight. He is of working weight as others have suggested, (I would like him/her to have a bit more weight but, it is what it is).

Honestly, I need to stop or I will myself up into a lather.
              www.facebook.com/doggonegoodgoodies
              http://doggonebakedgoods.com/

Comment

This is only one of many reasons not to give Leerburg money.

I'd rather not support someone that thinks choking a dog out is an acceptable training method, based on his misunderstandings of debunked "dominance" crap.
                I've watched a number of their videos, just out of curiosity, and they are horrific in their general lack of understanding of dogs in general and in their brutal approach to training. They mis-diagnose fear-based behaviors as "dominance aggression" and suggest using brutal punishment methods; they suggest using remote collars as nasty punishment devices rather than the gentle negative reinforcement suggested by most experts; and their advice about how to "establish pack structure" with puppies is bound to scar the pups for life. The kicker is when what's his name goes to "reward" dogs by pounding on their heads, and all of the dogs give him dirty looks.

Once watched someone attempt to cure a dog's "dominance aggression" as diagnosed by the Leerburg people using their approach. To me, the dog appeared to be mildly leash-reactive, which is a fear-based behavior and is readily curable by socialization and desensitization. Anyway, the Leerburg approach is to put a tight thin nylon choker on the dog (a "dominant dog" collar), and when the dog reacts to the sight of another dog, you lift the dog off his feet and hold him there, choking and gasping. Well, surprise, after only 15 minutes of "training" this dog had gone from mildly leash-reactive to total freak out at the mere sight of another dog off in the distance, and shortly after that, as the "trainer" went to choke the terrified dog yet again the dog lunged at the trainer and tried to kill him. A clear case of justifiable self-defense, I thought.

so I agree, buy your leather leashes from Quillin and your dog training videos from Dogwise and don't give money to these people.

Comment

I'm not seeing the horse photo, maybe it was removed? But I'd like to add that I bought the leash in question when I was a stupider (ok, less informed) person, and it is a very poor quality leash. The stitching is coming loose and the leather is sub-par.

Comment

http://leerburg.com/amish.htm This is the image -just your basic Amish buggy horse. Certainly not enough to poist and go "after" a company... Seems kind of rude.
                    Last edited by Cielo Azure; Mar. 25, 2013, 04:26 PM.
                    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with the horse. Just not eye appealing, but not anything to write home about.
                      Derby Lyn Farms Website

Derby Lyn Farms on Facebook!

Comment

Am I the only not seeing a horse on that page at all??? I even watched the videos...
                        COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

It appears that the photo was removed. It was on the very bottom of the page earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Cielo Azure View Post
                            http://leerburg.com/amish.htm This is the image -just your basic Amish buggy horse. Certainly not enough to poist and go "after" a company... Seems kind of rude.

It is still located above
                            Draumr Hesta Farm
                            "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"
                            Member of the COTH Ignorant Disrepectful F-bombs!*- 2Dogs Farm

Comment

Having been to an Amish shop and had them custom make a couple of things for me... I have to say, that guy is making a killing off of those leather straps!

I wonder what percentage the Amish guy gets?

Comment

Now the picture of the horse and buggy is at the top of the page and I agree. I dont see abuse, nor neglect here. Just a working animal.
                                www.headsupspecialriders.com

Comment

Anybody get the feeling that Leerburg is tracking their hits and reading this?
                                  Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                                  Incredible Invisible

Comment

Originally posted by ReSomething View Post
                                    Anybody get the feeling that Leerburg is tracking their hits and reading this?
                                    This. I've noticed since I clicked on their page from the link, now I'm getting their ads all over FB. Beginning to think it's the old 'stay away from HERE' and everyone goes there immediately.

As for the quality Amish stuff. I've bought some of the best things from the general Amish and then again, some really sucky stuff. As with any company, check whatever out closely before you buy. Just 'cause it's 'Amish', doesn't mean it's the end-all, be-all. Now, anything I bought in Scotland, now THERE is quality!! Don't give it a second thought.
                                    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

Working...
                                    X