• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How Do I Say This Politely? ... (Ripping off the MTC-TB logo is NOT okay)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Say This Politely? ... (Ripping off the MTC-TB logo is NOT okay)

Please make no mistake: We are thrilled that you love your TB and that you like the MTC-TB design enough to want get your own stuff made ... but please, don't.

This request is based on the fundamental mission of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique: to raise funds for TB rescue, rehabilitation and rehoming. In all cases, profits from products, whether made-to-order or stocked, are donated to TB charities throughout the US.

The MTC-TB logo is a copyrighted design and protected from both unauthorized replication and adaptation. This protection is primarily for "members" ... people need to have confidence that the money they spend on MTC-branded items is going where we say it is: straight to registered TB charities.

In the past when people have asked for permission to use, it's been granted on the condition that they give a cash donation to a 501-c-3 TB charity per item. Nobody followed through, as far as I know. I resisted a cafepress or zazzle-type outlet because both businesses said they could not accurately reproduce all elements of the logo. Now, TracyMichele.com designs offers many customizable embroidered items.

The MTC site still offers patches with black backgrounds and white ones to put on your own items, as well as sterling silver charms, and will have decals and magnets in the very near future.

I just wanted the chance to explain why the MTC-TB logo is different than commercial products. While I don't think it's okay to knock off Gucci, Coach, or anyone else's work, this is not eating into my (or Tracy's) profits -- it's ruining the trust on which the premise was established: when you see something with the MTC logo, it represents real financial support for TB rescue and rehab!

Thanks for your understanding and support.
    Last edited by AllWeatherGal; Mar. 25, 2013, 06:14 PM. Reason: corrected spelling of TracyMichele.com
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Very polite.

Unfortunate that people are helping themselves to the logo though.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

I hope that does the trick.

but some people are thick...they need the slap on the wrist to get the point....
      let's hope it does not come to that!
      Originally posted by BigMama1
      Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
      GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Originally posted by Jo
        Should we report vendors to you that are marketing the logo-ed items to their clients as their own?
        It is a copyright infringement...if the OP were to persuit it, it could get costly for the vendors!
        Originally posted by BigMama1
        Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
        GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

My bad - I thought it was a different logo we were discussing - sorry for the confusion!

Comment

Get real, logos are copied by others all the time, then slightly altered, by individuals and even corporations. If it copyright infringement sue the. Now the "stay calm and carry on" signs have a crown at the top. Maybe someone got the idea from that on this logo. The county I live in uses Red Roses in many of it's logos. Crowns and roses where did someone come up with those ideas????
            The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by 7HL View Post
              Get real, logos are copied by others all the time, then slightly altered, by individuals and even corporations. If it copyright infringement sue the. Now the "stay calm and carry on" signs have a crown at the top. Maybe someone got the idea from that on this logo. The county I live in uses Red Roses in many of it's logos. Crowns and roses where did someone come up with those ideas????
              Fair enough ... the crown for the "sport of kings" and roses as in "run for the roses" ... the ideas aren't unique (in fact! ...), but the stylized crown and rose garlands are. And putting the two together with the letters "TB" in between.

As far as suing, that's hardly ensuring that the money we take in goes to fund TB new-life issues

Just thot I'd vent and maybe raise awareness by inviting people to consider the integrity of actions.

Comment

Don't copyright. TRADEMARK. It costs you money to do it, but it's very straightforward and you can indeed trademark the crown/rose/TB combination. It would mean you'd have to aggressively pursue people stealing it to prove you aren't letting it lapse.
                Author Page
                Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Originally posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
                  Fair enough ... the crown for the "sport of kings" and roses as in "run for the roses" ... the ideas aren't unique (in fact! ...), but the stylized crown and rose garlands are. And putting the two together with the letters "TB" in between.

As far as suing, that's hardly ensuring that the money we take in goes to fund TB new-life issues

Just thot I'd vent and maybe raise awareness by inviting people to consider the integrity of actions.
                  Stated on your FB page you state, "A Breed Logo for the Thoroughbred Horse". It logo that you are marketing. The last time I looked the Jockey Club was the one that has the breed logo. Yes you are upset that you created something and you are trying to make a few bucks off of it. As far copying, when you post a picture on the web that can be copied, you are inviting people to do it.
                  The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.

Comment

The Jockey Club doesn't have an official logo because they do not focus on anything other than registering Thoroughbreds, primarily with the goal of racing, and identify registered horses with papers and, if racing, lip tattoos. MTC's symbol was designed for people to put on saddle pads, blankets, etc. like the ubiquitous warmblood brand logos people put on their equipment, which are based on the brands given inspected warmbloods by their various books.

And if you think that posting a picture on the web is automatically giving permission to use it without permission, I invite you to try it with something like the Chronicle's logo, or maybe the Disney castle brand emblem. They're on the web, therefore you must be allowed to use them, right? Or to stick with nonprofits, steal the Red Cross's logo or the Smithsonian's sun disc. All available on line.

AllWeatherGal--that is one thing. To protect ownership you DO have to C&D people you see misusing it to show you ARE attempting to protect ownership. And again, trademarking wouldn't be out of keeping with being a nonprofit and it would give you more legal power to stop misuse and theft.
                    Author Page
                    Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                    Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

If you aren't already, you should start using the TM sign with your logo. This lets others know that you plan to register it. You will need to register it eventually, though. Then you can use the ® sign.

And whoever thinks it's OK to copy/use/sell a logo because it's on the web has another think coming.
                      "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Comment

Have you approached The Jockey Club to see if they will work with you on this -- getting your logo as the official OTTB logo? Or a group like Thoroughbred Charities of America?
                        "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Comment

how do you know if someone "stole" your logo? do you ask? i get that you want to help TBs and i think that is a great idea - however, i would think carefully about how you will "go after" anyone who is using the logo.

Since in most cases Logo's are used by certain individuals (the company whose logo it is and associates) it is easy to know who is stealing the logo.

In your case you are selling the logo so have no idea who actually bought it as opposed to stealing it. Since the only way to enforce it is to ask each person who has it - you might just ruin the good name you have established.

in other words - i'd let it go after posting a disclaimer on your web site etc. and focus your energies on moving forward and helping TBs

Comment

Originally posted by danceronice View Post
                            The Jockey Club doesn't have an official logo
                            ??? The Jockey Club does have a logo

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
                            Have you approached The Jockey Club to see if they will work with you on this -- getting your logo as the official OTTB logo? Or a group like Thoroughbred Charities of America?
                            The Jockey club has their own logo which they have also modified slightly for the Thoroughbred Incentive Plan (says Thoroughbred Incentive Plan in the middle instead of 1894) so I am not sure why they would need another one. Especially one that comes with restrictions.
                            Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.
                            Serious Leigh: it sounds like her drama llama should be an old schoolmaster by now.

Comment

• Original Poster

Ah ... silly me. This is CoTH, of course there would be disagreement

7H ... I think we're on different planets. At the very least, writing in different languages. That's okay.

The JC logo is for the *organization* not the breed. Love it, love them (okay, not so much, but I admire anyone who rides well enough to be a pro!), don't love the business of racing, but love how the organization has evolved.

Danceroni & Bacchus ... good advice, too. It's expensive (about $3,100 over the first 5 years if you do all the paperwork yourself, and the request can still be denied!) unless I read all the gubmint literature wrong.

mbm ... I'm not selling the logo, I'm selling stuff that shows it. Kinda like Nike, only on a tremendously smaller scale But yeah, I think your advice is right-on! I got distracted yesterday

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and expertise, everyone.

Btw ... Danceroni, please don't let this distract you from sequels ... I an eagerly awaiting the next book of Omens!

Comment

Originally posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
                                The JC logo is for the *organization* not the breed. Love it, love them (okay, not so much, but I admire anyone who rides well enough to be a pro!), don't love the business of racing, but love how the organization has evolved....
                                Stated on your FB page you state, "A Breed Logo for the Thoroughbred Horse". Doesn't say there either that you are an organization, the page says product or service.
                                Mission
                                To support registerred 501c3 charities in good standing with their efforts to support the Thoroughbred Horse.
                                Company Overview
                                The name Mighty Thoroughbred Clique comes from a message board. The Chronicle of the Horse message board has a forum specifically for racing, which in the U.S. typically means Thoroughbred Racing. One of the posters, Linny, had the tag and I asked her if I could use it for the fund-raising effort.

Of course the crown represents the "sport(horse) of kings" and the roses, the "run for the roses", both of which are so intrinsic to the Thoroughbred mystique.

Description
                                Your purchases from the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique support registered non-profits that help horses
                                and people in the United States
                                So what is it a charity, organization, business or what? You are venting about someone using a logo, that was created from someone else's idea. So how many others might lay claim to the idea, and profits from the sale of it?

Comment

Originally posted by 7HL View Post
                                  Stated on your FB page you state, "A Breed Logo for the Thoroughbred Horse". Doesn't say there either that you are an organization, the page says product or service. So what is it a charity, organization, business or what? You are venting about someone using a logo, that was created from someone else's idea. So how many others might lay claim to the idea, and profits from the sale of it?
                                  The JC, ie Jockey Club, is the breed registry and no way affiliated with any kind of "breed logo". They have a company logo but there is no "official" TB breed logo for the registry like with Warmbloods.

The TB logo she made is still a breed specific logo but is not "official", simply a way for TB owners to display their love and pride. She is a business selling products displaying the logo. A portion of the proceeds go to help racehorse charities.

End confusion?

Comment

I am clearly reading the OP's post very differently than the likes of 7HL.

I read it as more of a heads up reminder to those who want stuff with this logo be sure to buy it from the source because stealing it or buying it from anywhere else is not helping the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post

I read it as more of a heads up reminder to those who want stuff with this logo be sure to buy it from the source because stealing it or buying it from anywhere else is not helping the cause.

This! I love my 'official' MTBC stuff :-)
                                      Y'all ain't right!

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post

Is there any OTHER way one could read it than this? Oh, wait. Forgot who I'm talking about.
                                        "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

Working...
                                        X