• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Kill Buyer Ron Andio Gets Into Horse Rescue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Richard "Kudo" Couto?
    yeah! That's him!

    The Mad Hatter would be appalled to be associated with him!
    Originally posted by BigMama1
    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
    GNU Terry Prachett

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
      yeah! That's him!

      The Mad Hatter would be appalled to be associated with him!
      OMG the AR's love him though ....I even had one literally say to me ".I BET YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW RICHARD COUTO EITHER. HE'S FRIENDS WITH MY MOM"

      "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Lynnwood View Post
        OMG the AR's love him though ....I even had one literally say to me ".I BET YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW RICHARD COUTO EITHER. HE'S FRIENDS WITH MY MOM"

        he came to COTH briefly...it was entertaining!
        I think he was one of the name confused people and had words with Swany...


        Not even going into the 'MY MOM' thing...
        as gamer I would have dropped to the floor rolling with fits of hysterical laughter!
        Originally posted by BigMama1
        Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
        GNU Terry Prachett

        Comment

        • Original Poster

          #64
          Ron Andio bought a bunch of horses at Sugarcreek on Friday.
          Hopefully some of those will end up on his website.
          ************************
          \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

          Comment


          • #65
            I didn't read through all four pages....
            I have been to this farm once to try a quarter horse for a friend who lives out of state. Ron was not home so I met his wife there. She did not hide the fact that he is a kill buyer. She did explain to me that he brings horses home for her to resell weekly though. They have a holding lot that has been tiles and line for good drainage so the horses residing there didn't have to stand in poor conditions. They had a lot of hay and also separated any horses that were bottom of the pack so they would have a fair share of food. The wife seemed nice enough. She grew up in this type of arrangement and as she saw it...what she and her husband were doing wasn't a big deal. Of course I didn't agree with that but I wasn't there to give her a tongue lashing. I was just glad to get a chance at a nice horse for a friend at a reasonable price. I figured if I made a fuss or told her how much I hated what her husband did for a living...that might make it harder for the next person to have a chance to look at her horses. This was several years ago....they have been doing resales for a long time. I found her horse on equine.com. She didn't have a website at that point. So this really isn't new news. FWIW she had two older, retired horses that were her show horses at some point. She told me they had a home for life. I guess they are the lucky ones.
            RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

            Comment


            • #66
              I haven't read through all the replies but....I'm not seeing an issue, unless there's a backstory. Look, the guy is going to ship them anyway. At least he is giving some a chance, and yes, he should make a profit. And it doesn't appear to be a big one.

              I like that you can see the horse before purchasing. I see the ones where it's $800 for a horse you've only seen a picture of. Eh, no thanks for me.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by jetsmom View Post
                It's the CBER model- "The TRUCK IS COMING!!!"
                Buying a horse from him saves THAT horse. Another one just takes his place. It doesn't reduce the number slaughtered by 1, if you buy one. But if he has a horse someone likes, and you think the price is fair, then buy it.
                Yep. That's why I don't really give him props for being a good guy and making the effort to market some of them for more than meat price. I'd rather no horse fetched an inflated price to save it from slaughter. Paying ransom prices...and we wonder why there aren't more homes.
                \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by spacytracy View Post
                  I haven't read through all the replies but....I'm not seeing an issue, unless there's a backstory. Look, the guy is going to ship them anyway. At least he is giving some a chance, and yes, he should make a profit. And it doesn't appear to be a big one.

                  I like that you can see the horse before purchasing. I see the ones where it's $800 for a horse you've only seen a picture of. Eh, no thanks for me.
                  It's not like horses have not changed hands for far more money on nothing but a few pictures....

                  I am sure there is a trader near you with a similar business model.


                  (and here we go again...what a meany, selling cheap horses)
                  Originally posted by BigMama1
                  Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                  GNU Terry Prachett

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
                    Have to say he has decent descriptions and reasonable prices.

                    Wish they weren't listed as "rescues", but if that is what moves the horses, have at it.
                    The first page of the website lays everything out there. I would MUCH prefer to get a super cheapy from someone who is up front and honest than from someone who is full of BS. ( One of those 'dealer masquerading as rescue for the sake of 'image,' set ups. )
                    "Friend" me !

                    http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by MandyVA View Post
                      Yep. That's why I don't really give him props for being a good guy and making the effort to market some of them for more than meat price. I'd rather no horse fetched an inflated price to save it from slaughter. Paying ransom prices...and we wonder why there aren't more homes.
                      Oh, God. Crikey.
                      GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by goneriding24 View Post
                        Oh, God. Crikey.
                        I was somewhat shocked that $300-$400 for a riding horse (colored, no less!) was considered a ransom.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
                          I was somewhat shocked that $300-$400 for a riding horse (colored, no less!) was considered a ransom.
                          Maybe it's because I'm tired from the weekend, but, what IS it with someone who makes money with horses is considered 'bad'. Who weeds out the nutters, ascertains their talents and piles on a bit of profit?? Good Lord. I truly, truly do not understand what the noise is about. Ransom?? HA!! You bet I'd 'ransom' a horse for $300 which I paid $100 for, after finding out the sucker can pack a beginner and go down a trail or you could pasture rope on it. D*mn straight I would!! Matter of fact, I USED TO DO THIS VERY THING. It was my BUSINESS and I MADE MONEY off of horses!! The horrors!!

                          Okay, coffee is kicking in and I'm doing better. Thank you very much.
                          GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by goneriding24 View Post
                            Maybe it's because I'm tired from the weekend, but, what IS it with someone who makes money with horses is considered 'bad'. Who weeds out the nutters, ascertains their talents and piles on a bit of profit?? Good Lord. I truly, truly do not understand what the noise is about. Ransom?? HA!! You bet I'd 'ransom' a horse for $300 which I paid $100 for, after finding out the sucker can pack a beginner and go down a trail or you could pasture rope on it. D*mn straight I would!! Matter of fact, I USED TO DO THIS VERY THING. It was my BUSINESS and I MADE MONEY off of horses!! The horrors!!

                            Okay, coffee is kicking in and I'm doing better. Thank you very much.
                            ETA: If I were still in the horse biz, I'd like to meet this guy and his wife and forge a working partnership with them, if I lived in the same area. I could have used another pipeline for safe, sane horses. If a horse can survive a sale barn and all the yelling and whatnot going on without losing its' everloving mind, you can pretty well bet it will be an okay horse to swing a leg over!! What is it about this, people don't 'get'??

                            ETA to ETA: I meant to edit the first post and, got, well, this. Coffee may not be working so hot after all.
                            Last edited by goneriding24; Mar. 25, 2013, 12:20 PM. Reason: Whatev...
                            GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              I think the attitude of some is clouded by their anti slaughter ideology.
                              Just because he is considered a "kill buyer", all and any he may do is just not good, he has to be evil.

                              The way I see it, there are many that don't have the foggiest idea how the horse world works, similar to those that think milk comes from a carton in the store, who needs cows?

                              Yes, there is a lower end to the horse world, that handles poorly bred and raised and trained horses and those that for many reasons end up not being wanted by those that use "more" horse for what they do with horses.

                              From that lower world is where so much of the activity in horses comes from.
                              Those traders are the ones that many get their start in horses from, buying a horse from them to play with on the weekends, their kids and friends riding down the bar-ditch, eventually maybe participating in their little riding clubs and their playdays, etc.

                              Many trail riding stables renting horses to the public, the lower end riding schools with a few schoolies, all those are part of those trader's world they sell to and buy from.

                              I think that horse world in fact may have a bigger number of participant that the ones with registered horses and learning, training and competing seriously with their fancier, better trained horses, the better, more expensive barns with the higher end, talented and costlier horses, running at the serious money in their competitions.

                              That lower tier of the horse world is very large and some go then from that to the better barns and horses.
                              That lower horse world goes thru many horses, those traders are the ones that buy, evaluate and sell them to the appropriate markets and yes, one of those is slaughter for some of those traders, for SOME of those horses that don't have any other place to be sold to, for a myriad of reasons.

                              Those traders experience and knowledge of horses and the horse world, their eye for what a horse may be best at doing and where it can fit best, who can use it, once those horses have been sold to the highest bidder and they bought it, as a trainer told me long ago, those traders are many such horse's last chance.

                              I don't think the horse industry would work without them.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                I think the attitude of some is clouded by their anti slaughter ideology.
                                Just because he is considered a "kill buyer", all and any he may do is just not good, he has to be evil.

                                The way I see it, there are many that don't have the foggiest idea how the horse world works, similar to those that think milk comes from a carton in the store, who needs cows?

                                Yes, there is a lower end to the horse world, that handles poorly bred and raised and trained horses and those that for many reasons end up not being wanted by those that use "more" horse for what they do with horses.

                                From that lower world is where so much of the activity in horses comes from.
                                Those traders are the ones that many get their start in horses from, buying a horse from them to play with on the weekends, their kids and friends riding down the bar-ditch, eventually maybe participating in their little riding clubs and their playdays, etc.

                                Many trail riding stables renting horses to the public, the lower end riding schools with a few schoolies, all those are part of those trader's world they sell to and buy from.

                                I think that horse world in fact may have a bigger number of participant that the ones with registered horses and learning, training and competing seriously with their fancier, better trained horses, the better, more expensive barns with the higher end, talented and costlier horses, running at the serious money in their competitions.

                                That lower tier of the horse world is very large and some go then from that to the better barns and horses.
                                That lower horse world goes thru many horses, those traders are the ones that buy, evaluate and sell them to the appropriate markets and yes, one of those is slaughter for some of those traders, for SOME of those horses that don't have any other place to be sold to, for a myriad of reasons.

                                Those traders experience and knowledge of horses and the horse world, their eye for what a horse may be best at doing and where it can fit best, who can use it, once those horses have been sold to the highest bidder and they bought it, as a trainer told me long ago, those traders are many such horse's last chance.

                                I don't think the horse industry would work without them.
                                it would be a rude awakening for some people when that segment of the industry was to fall away....
                                Originally posted by BigMama1
                                Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                                GNU Terry Prachett

                                Comment


                                • #76
                                  Well, this once-upon-a-time lower end horse trader (that would be me) happened upon a registered QH mare for $400 at an auction, who was sold to a local barn whose owner dabbled in the big time. The mare went through some training, placed in the top ten at the World/Congress or whatever it was in OK City. Then sold to someone in Florida after a bit of campaigning for lower five figures. I ended up with her filly she dropped in the middle of the night, who turned out was sired by an All American winners' son.... For all I know, that mare is still being shown in Florida and parts north.

                                  Yeah, low end alright.
                                  Last edited by goneriding24; Mar. 25, 2013, 03:07 PM. Reason: Correcting some info.
                                  GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

                                  Comment


                                  • #77
                                    [QUOTE=MoonoverMississippi;6902116]I was somewhat shocked that $300-$400 for a riding horse (colored, no less!) was considered a ransom. :rolle
                                    A colored riding horse that has less than a week to live, that you probably can't try first, and would most likely be free if it was on CL and not on a dealer's lot...yeah I'd call it a ransom.
                                    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

                                    Comment


                                    • #78
                                      Boy people will nit pick at everything. At least he is not tossing them in the desert. I do not understand people, he is making an honest living, and it sounds from what someone posted he takes decent care of the ones on his lot.

                                      Comment


                                      • #79
                                        [QUOTE=MandyVA;6902538]
                                        Originally posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
                                        I was somewhat shocked that $300-$400 for a riding horse (colored, no less!) was considered a ransom. :rolle
                                        A colored riding horse that has less than a week to live, that you probably can't try first, and would most likely be free if it was on CL and not on a dealer's lot...yeah I'd call it a ransom.
                                        In my area there are no free horses on CL...and they want as much money for the others as this fellow...varying mileage...
                                        Originally posted by BigMama1
                                        Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                                        GNU Terry Prachett

                                        Comment


                                        • #80
                                          Seems to me the guy is upfront about his business model and policies. He is not trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes, which given some other outfits is refreshing. The prices seemed reasonable, the descriptions concise and to the point. If a few horses get new homes this way, I say fine.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X