• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Kill Buyer Ron Andio Gets Into Horse Rescue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have to say he has decent descriptions and reasonable prices.

Wish they weren't listed as "rescues", but if that is what moves the horses, have at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Spot View Post
      I'm not sure I'd call it "superior". From the stuff I've been reading on the other thread I'd more likely go with "logical".
      If you mean "logical" fallacy's I totally agree.

Comment

Originally posted by sunridge1 View Post
        Oh FFS where, show me where I trashed him. Jeez you're really reaching now. OTOH, keep it up I'm finding it quite entertaining.
        If the guy gets harassed or a bunch of crap from people like you who ridicule what he's doing - he'll stop.

Which means those horses will go to slaughter.

This isn't some game, and I am appalled you find this entertaining. It's not a game show.

If those horses are not sold they will die.

Go ahead and laugh and get your jollies if you like.
        Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
        Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
        -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by sunridge1 View Post
          If you mean "logical" fallacy's I totally agree.
          I think we both know that I did not. It appears we are at an impasse.
          "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

This is about as close to actually rescuing a horse as one can possibly get. I appreciate he doesn't BS about being an actual 501 c3 like so many seen to do.
            McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

I have dealt with KBs and find that they really don't want to send 'good' horses to slaughter. And if they can sell them and get more than the per pound price ...it IS business. OTOH they won't keep a horse long becsause it costs $$ to do so. Unfortunately some KBs can't be bothered with the usual tire kicking buyers. Some find it useful to use an intermediaryand no inspection by buyer..

I am glad to see them post a few that are 'good horses'. They prob. buy them for $100 or less at OH auction...so $300 - 400 isn't a bad turnover in less than a week's time. I would rather see them NOT shipped to slaughter.

What makes me crazy me is the heart wrenching 'save from slaughter' with a price WAY above the going slaughter $$ like minis or small ponies for $450+ or thin horses for $800+...no way do they get that money for them going to slaughter....but they won't sell for less and some of those horses die to prove that nothing is exempt from shipping so you better ante up!

Comment

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                If the guy gets harassed or a bunch of crap from people like you who ridicule what he's doing - he'll stop.

Which means those horses will go to slaughter.

This isn't some game, and I am appalled you find this entertaining. It's not a game show.

If those horses are not sold they will die.

Go ahead and laugh and get your jollies if you like.
                I see him doing what all brokers are doing, he just added a "friendly" touch.
                This is the post you are calling harassing? Really? Please explain so I can correct the error of ways. I thought I was just pointing out a truth. It couldn't possibly be the genuine jab I made before hand could it?

Comment

I am alluding to the mentality, and of what luvmytbs posted not long after:

There are some KB's around here who won't let you within eyesight of their property, which yes, is thanks to nut cases who have nothing better to than to harass them, even if they live clear across the country. (But that's another story).
                  If a KB is harassed, it is possible or even likely he'll say the hell with it. Which means the horses that would have found homes die instead.

I don't find these threads, or the subject of unwanted horses/slaughter entertaining. Not one bit - not at all.

Evidently you do; which speaks less to my character and more to yours.
                  -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I think what they are doing is posting these things on this BB, so that the nuts here will go and harass the owners.

I doubt they're doing it to help advertise these horses in the hope they'll stay out of the slaughterhouse.

In other words, they are instigating. And if a horse dies because of it - that's ok as long as it's for "the cause".

They have more in common with Mr. Sappington than they think.
                    I didn't understand this post at all. you then go on to say it's great because it saves a horse from slaughter...so I thought the quoted post was sarcasm lost on some.

I am confused...but cutting JSwan some slack as they have 8 new nursemare foals as well as a large horse population that need care. JSwan is a caring rescuer and happy when any horse gets a pass from the plant.

Comment

What is entertaining is not that anyone will be harassed but that you all react so badly to these threads. There was some genuine good ideas put forth in that article on the other thread. But according to nearly everyone it was crap. Well someone and that someone is everyone in the horse industry needs to clean their act once and for all. I have done my part. I've saved, gelded, stopped breeding, trained, re homed, given away, taken in, retrained, given money, killed, have been honest about my stock etc. etc. etc. If most would only do half of that the problem wouldn't be near as tragic as it's become. So yes it's onus all of it, everyone needs to buck up and get honest or this problem will continue to plague us all. I do wish I was ignorant to the horse plight like every single one of my real life horse friends. I cannot unsee or unlearn what I know. I wish I could, ignorance IS bliss.

Comment

• Original Poster

Huh? I am not getting your point. At all.

Ron Andio put up a website to promote (sell) some of his horses.
                        A website needs traffic to be effective, to sell a product.
                        Putting it on a horse BB will add to his traffic.

Are there a$$hats out there who are going to make harassing calls to him now because he states he does send horses to slaughter (most anyone on the anti slaughter side would know his name anyways)?

You would hope not from this BB.
                        \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Comment

I am alluding to the mentality, and of what luvmytbs posted not long after:

If a KB is harassed, it is possible or even likely he'll say the hell with it. Which means the horses that would have found homes die instead.

I don't find these threads, or the subject of unwanted horses/slaughter entertaining. Not one bit - not at all.

I agree, as that is how I spent my teenage years, training horses our riding school got from the slaughter plant, very serious job, as they would go back there if we didn't do our job and no one wanted that, if we could possibly help it.

From dozens of such horses, only one feral mare, that had some kind of serious back injury, we could not make work and all of us were very sad for long time afterwards.
                          One other, also from a feral bunch, we tried, he just was mentally off and unpredictable, was sold to a private owner, that tried with him for two years, then sold him back to us, still unsafe to ride and the owner of the riding school had the brilliant idea of trying him on the feed wagon and, would you know it, that little horse made a great driving horse.

We took our work of making decent, usable horses of all that we got to work with very seriously.
                          There is no joking when talking about that one last use of any horse, but at least it does has one last use if it has to be, it is not a totally useless end.
                          Very bad that SOME of those horses are carelessly killed now and wasted, on some strange misunderstanding on what our world and our place in it for all of us is, including our animals.

Comment

Originally posted by luvmytbs View Post

Ron Andio put up a website to promote (sell) some of his horses.
                            A website needs traffic to be effective, to sell a product.
                            Putting it on a horse BB will add to his traffic.

Are there a$$hats out there who are going to make harassing calls to him now because he states he does send horses to slaughter (most anyone on the anti slaughter side would know his name anyways)?

With your posting history, I very much doubt you posted that here to give him more business.
                            I would be more apt to believe you were wanting to give him grief, just because he is, the horror, according to what you have posted before, a "kill buyer", as your title stated so clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by uphill View Post
                              I didn't understand this post at all. you then go on to say it's great because it saves a horse from slaughter...so I thought the quoted post was sarcasm lost on some.

I am confused...but cutting JSwan some slack as they have 8 new nursemare foals as well as a large horse population that need care. JSwan is a caring rescuer and happy when any horse gets a pass from the plant.
                              You have me confused with someone else. I do not have that sort of equine operation on my farm, and do not engage in the breeding or sale of horses. Never have.

I think if a KB weeds out horses for resale instead of sending them to the plant - that's great.

It's not something to criticize or condemn, nor is it something the person should be harassed or disparaged for.

What I think is that many of these posters come to instigate; not to engage in robust, informed discourse. I'm reading their posts and try to respond with ideas, and I respond to questions if I have an answer (or think I have something to offer).

Their responses range from bizarre, to emotional, to crazy, to reasonable and informed. But mostly bizarre and emotional.

I'm more practical. I see an opportunity for x number of horses who do not go on to be slaughtered.

I'm happy for those horses and for any effort, no matter how small, to reduce the number of horses going to slaughter. Every bit helps - even if that help comes from someone we don't care for.
                              -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

luvmytbs -

I was not referring to you in that sentence. If that was not clear I apologize.

I think you would be unpleasantly surprised.
                                -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                  With your posting history, I very much doubt you posted that here to give him more business.
                                  I would be more apt to believe you were wanting to give him grief, just because he is, the horror, according to what you have posted before, a "kill buyer", as your title stated so clearly.
                                  Bluey your problem is that you always assume that you know about everyone and everything.

You are really not that important that people will provide you with their "resumes". Really, you are not.
                                  \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Comment

Bluey your problem is that you always assume that you know about everyone and everything.

You are really not that important that people will provide you with their "resumes". Really, you are not.
                                    My opinion as stated, nothing more or less than that.

Comment

I'm more practical. I see an opportunity for x number of horses who do not go on to be slaughtered.

I'm happy for those horses and for any effort, no matter how small, to reduce the number of horses going to slaughter. Every bit helps - even if that help comes from someone we don't care for.
                                      Exactly, and his prices are quite fair, he isn't price gauging as so many KBs are prone to do IF they even attempt to sell before sending to slaughter.

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                      Considering the source of this thread, I think you are right.
                                      Are comments like this really necessary?
                                      Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
                                      http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
                                      http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

Wow talk about a blast from the past. I knew "Ronnie" before and during his first marriage. He's been doing exactly what is depicted on the website for years, since he was knee high to a grasshopper. As many have said he just didn't call it a rescue though he did rescue many a horse from the sale/kill pens, would call me to ask if I/we could "fix" it and then sell it on to a useful end. Of course he also sent about 80% of what he picked up from the country side and the sales to Canada. Fact of life, nothing else. I use to ride a lot of what would come in to see if there was something there to put time into and many did get a second chance. There was a TB mare who came in one night. She was dubbed, "One-Too" because she was one too many to fit in the load headed to Canada the next night. She could jump the moon. I have many stories including the animal welfare cases he (and his first wife) would help house/care for until trial. He's a horse trader born and bred. If this (the publicity) gets more horses and ponies legitimate second chances then great. Those that don't sell will still end up where they were initially intended to go.
                                        Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

JSwan - and all this time I thought you were JSwan from FL who runs a 501(c) 3 rescue. no?? you do not state where you hail from.

Comment

Working...
                                          X